What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Media Day 7/24

FIFY.

Never, ever, ever ignore the preferences of over half your market.
I never said ignore them. But catering to them and screwing over your fans our West is a terrible idea for a conference that is lacking local engagement outside or Oregon, Utah and Washington. You don’t change your tv times to please the people in the northeast who barely care about college football, let alone pac 12 football. You don’t change your times for fans on the east coast that are already used to late night sporting events.You don’t change your times for fans in the southeast who would rather watch their local teams during the same time period anyways.

I don’t think people understand what this is. We aren’t talking about big time matchups that get national attention, those are the games that already get picked up for good time slots. Bad OOC games already get early times in this conference. No one on the east coast is going to be very interested in Washington state vs cal or Oregon state va Arizona anyways.

Outside of Utah I just don’t think this plan works for a majority of the schools in this conference and it just shows how badly the pac needs a Texas footprint.

I think it’s just how he speaks to the media. He doesn’t have the smoothness and he doesn’t exude a ton of (possibly fake) confidence as some of the more premier college coaches. Just my impression
I think he just takes his time to think about what he is saying and wants it to come out right. That’s how his opening press conference was too.

I never said ignore them. But catering to them and screwing over your fans our West is a terrible idea for a conference that is lacking local engagement outside or Oregon, Utah and Washington. You don’t change your tv times to please the people in the northeast who barely care about college football, let alone pac 12 football. You don’t change your times for fans on the east coast that are already used to late night sporting events.You don’t change your times for fans in the southeast who would rather watch their local teams during the same time period anyways.

I don’t think people understand what this is. We aren’t talking about big time matchups that get national attention, those are the games that already get picked up for good time slots. Bad OOC games already get early times in this conference. No one on the east coast is going to be very interested in Washington state vs cal or Oregon state va Arizona anyways.

Outside of Utah I just don’t think this plan works for a majority of the schools in this conference and it just shows how badly the pac needs a Texas footprint.
One home game every 3 or 4 years is "screwing over your fans?"

Really?

One home game every 3 or 4 years is "screwing over your fans?"

Really?
For a conference that already has attendance issues, yes. We don’t need to make more excuses for our fans to skip going to games.

And I highly doubt this would be one home game every three to four years, you know Colorado, Utah, Arizona and ASU are going to take most of those matchups.

I think he just takes his time to think about what he is saying and wants it to come out right. That’s how his opening press conference was too.
Yeah I didn’t mean it in a bad way or anything. I bet he’s extremely confident and really good with the players, but he just changes his personality a bit when talking to the media

And I highly doubt this would be one home game every three to four years, you know Colorado, Utah, Arizona and ASU are going to take most of those matchups.
No, I don't know that.

How do you know that?

Seriously: in its pursuit of treating all the schools equally, this conference has repeatedly shown itself very willing to screw over the most marquee football programs in the conference with ****ty scheduling. What makes you think that now, all the sudden, that will change?

No, I don't know that.

How do you know that?

Seriously: in its pursuit of treating all the schools equally, this conference has repeatedly shown itself very willing to screw over the most marquee football programs in the conference with ****ty scheduling. What makes you think that now, all the sudden, that will change?
Because they already put our feelers and those west coast teams said **** that lol.

Because they already put our feelers and those west coast teams said **** that lol.
Again, you know this?

I'm sure it's just like USC said **** that when they were asked about playing a tough road game at 10pm on Saturday right before an even tougher road game on Friday night. lol.

Again, you know this?

I'm sure it's just like USC said **** that when they were asked about playing a tough road game at 10pm on Saturday right before an even tougher road game on Friday night. lol.
Oh you mean when it happened once and then the conference immediately fixed the policy so it never happened again? Gotcha. I imagine the same would happen here. USC would play their first 9 AM game, attendance would be awful, they probably lose at home and then bitch about ever having to play a game in that time slot again.

Oh you mean when it happened once and then the conference immediately fixed the policy so it never happened again? Gotcha. I imagine the same would happen here. USC would play their first 9 AM game, attendance would be awful, they probably lose at home and then bitch about ever having to play a game in that time slot again.
USC, if it has a Heisman candidate and/or a great team, will love playing early and having the highlights and halftime studio talk about it the rest of that college football Saturday. It's part of the reason that the Pac-12 is doing the Friday night thing, too. Still a lot of lingering frustration from the conference over C-Mac not winning the Heisman his junior season.

USC, if it has a Heisman candidate and/or a great team, will love playing early and having the highlights and halftime studio talk about it the rest of that college football Saturday. It's part of the reason that the Pac-12 is doing the Friday night thing, too. Still a lot of lingering frustration from the conference over C-Mac not winning the Heisman his junior season.
If there is one thing USC isn't worried about, it is the hype they get when they have a good team. That takes care of itself with that program. USC also gets good national TV slots so they don't care about a 9 AM game.

If there is one thing USC isn't worried about, it is the hype they get when they have a good team. That takes care of itself with that program. USC also gets good national TV slots so they don't care about a 9 AM game.
It's pretty obvious that you're still suffering from post Big12 traumatic stress syndrome.

Conferences that treat programs differently based on the perceived "prestige" of those programs are inherently unstable. In the space of a couple years, the B12 lost its 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th most prestigious football programs - largely because those programs no longer wanted to be in a conference where the balance of power so clearly tilted in one direction. There's a reason that when we anyone talks about conference realignment that it's the B12 that is always viewed as the most vulnerable to collapse.

I know it is shocking, but most programs and athletic directors understand that sometimes your program has to make sacrifices "for the common good." They're ok with this because all the other programs and ADs do it too.

The conference didn't change its scheduling process because USC complained after they got screwed. The conference changed its scheduling process because every single school (including lowly ol' CU) complained.

Next, why do you think CU, UU, UA and ASU are the schools that will "get all these games?" Why not OSU, WSU and Cal? Is it, by chance, because you think CU, UU, UA and ASU are the only schools for whom it would be a 10am start? Guess what? For 10 weeks out of the football season, UA and ASU are effectively in the Pacific Time zone, so it'd be a 9 am start for them too.

Finally, once again, I would like you to point to any single action the P12 conference has taken that privileged USC and/or "the west coast schools," over the rest of the conference.

It's pretty obvious that you're still suffering from post Big12 traumatic stress syndrome.

Conferences that treat programs differently based on the perceived "prestige" of those programs are inherently unstable. In the space of a couple years, the B12 lost its 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th most prestigious football programs - largely because those programs no longer wanted to be in a conference where the balance of power so clearly tilted in one direction. There's a reason that when we anyone talks about conference realignment that it's the B12 that is always viewed as the most vulnerable to collapse.

I know it is shocking, but most programs and athletic directors understand that sometimes your program has to make sacrifices "for the common good." They're ok with this because all the other programs and ADs do it too.

The conference didn't change its scheduling process because USC complained after they got screwed. The conference changed its scheduling process because every single school (including lowly ol' CU) complained.

Next, why do you think CU, UU, UA and ASU are the schools that will "get all these games?" Why not OSU, WSU and Cal? Is it, by chance, because you think CU, UU, UA and ASU are the only schools for whom it would be a 10am start? Guess what? For 10 weeks out of the football season, UA and ASU are effectively in the Pacific Time zone, so it'd be a 9 am start for them too.

Finally, once again, I would like you to point to any single action the P12 conference has taken that privileged USC and/or "the west coast schools," over the rest of the conference.
The only concession I know of was that in exchange for the CA schools agreeing to be split in a North-South configuration the schedule was set up so that they always played each other, which did unbalance the schedules -- probably not in their favor. That's going (or gone), I believe.

Frankly, I think the Pac-12 has been too equal. I think that there should be bonuses to schools if they make bowl games or the playoff, if they make the Dance and advance, if they are chosen for the national broadcast by ABC/ESPN/FOX/FS1. Everyone should work from the same baseline on a conference revenue split, but better performance should result in a bigger payout. That's one thing I thought that the Big 12 got right.

Last edited:

I wasn't even around for most of the Big-12, I started at CU in 2009 so no not really.

Not all of the schools complained I don't know where you are getting that from. USC and Washington played those games, lost, it cost the conference a spot at the playoff and they changed the rule because the coaches at those schools and the media were bitching up a storm. Most of the schools didn't even have to go through what USC did so not every school complained.

I am sure USC thinks they are doing plenty for the "common good" and are sick of the way things are going so no I don't think they would be into it.

And yes, I am fully aware of the Arizona DST scenario. Those two schools would take on most of the late season 9AM Pacific times while Utah and Colorado would take on a majority of the early season ones. The extra hour is a big deal when you are talking about these ****ty game times.

The only concession I know of was that in exchange for the CA schools agreeing to be split in a North-South configuration the schedule was set up so that the always played each other, which did unbalance the schedules -- probably not in their favor. That's going (or gone), I believe.
It's gone? I only know that it's been lightly discussed here and there; never seen that it is in fact gone. All the California schools still play each other this year.

Very impressive! First mantrum I’ve seen that didn’t cool off after a night of sleep. Full speed ahead at 6 AM.

@Duff Man

JUCO recruiting
Tucker and his staff have brought in several junior college players this offseason, but Tucker said that likely won’t be the standard.
“We have some holes that we needed to fill,” he said. “We’re probably heavier in the junior colleges than we will be in the future, but we’ll always look to fill some immediate needs because, at the end of the day, you’ve got to have guys ready to go.”
https://www.buffzone.com/2019/07/24/25dccufb-2/

Yeah, we’re in an era where it’s funny/OK to make (racist) comments directed at white people. I’m not offended by it in the slightest, but it’s a major eye roll
Yeah, it's totally okay if I say it because I'm a sober white man.

. Those two schools would take on most of the late season 9AM Pacific times while Utah and Colorado would take on a majority of the early season ones.
My last take:

The first reports on this possible new game time slot were made by a well regarded journalist that covers the conference, one who has been right far more often than he has been wrong.

He's someone who very obviously actually has inside knowledge and connections.

He indicated that each school would end up in this time slot once every 3 or 4 years. That report also fits well in the conference history, which shows that when they have **** sandwiches to pass out, they do so pretty indiscriminately.

onealcd doesn't believe that reporter, again one with true inside connections and knowledge that has been right far more often than he's been wrong, and he doesn't believe that reporter because conspiracy.

Yeah I didn’t mean it in a bad way or anything. I bet he’s extremely confident and really good with the players, but he just changes his personality a bit when talking to the media

I see a lot of similarities between Mel Tucker and Vic Fangio, and here's another-I think both men are getting used to having to spend more time dealing with the media.....and they come off as not being comfortable or liking it.

I see a lot of similarities between Mel Tucker and Vic Fangio, and here's another-I think both men are getting used to having to spend more time dealing with the media.....and they come off as not being comfortable or liking it.
I think that Tucker embraces the role and puts in the work as someone who is dedicated to his job. Right now, though, his strength seems to be as a 1-on-1 communicator rather than as a press conference guy. He definitely has not refined his media persona or gotten comfortable with it yet.

I think that Tucker embraces the role and puts in the work as someone who is dedicated to his job. Right now, though, his strength seems to be as a 1-on-1 communicator rather than as a press conference guy. He definitely has not refined his media persona or gotten comfortable with it yet.

Agree, but I also think coordinators at both the college and pro levels generally are that way. Tucker has also been working for guys in Nick Saban and Kirby Smart who don't allow the media any access to their assistants during the regular season, so CMT has rarely had to interface at all with the media since he returned to college football.

**** Victor Fangio

Really not sure where you and others are getting this impression. Usually I wouldn't care enough about this topic to respond, but I actually think talking to the media is one of his strengths. I'm also saying this as someone who has seen him fire up the crowd at a Chancellor's Tour event and answer questions from the audience.

I like that he takes his time to say the right thing with each answer, he's thorough but doesn't ramble, and I have yet to cringe at something he's said. He'll answer questions confidently, but also disarm with the occasional joke. Some of the questions he was asked during the PAC-12 media day interview were downright cringey (looking at you, interviewer who didn't know he was from Ohio), but he still answered them respectfully. Some of the questions also seemed like traps-- asking what's the primary difference between recruits on the west coast and the south, for example, seems like one you can't answer honestly without offending either side. He gets asked a lot about his SEC ties, sometimes with questions that don't even have to do with Colorado, but he spins it back to being about CU every time.

If I see him pointing at a picture of a buffalo or talking about bringing the funk, maybe then I'll concede that he's bad with the media. Until then, enjoy the Air Jordans, Aviator sunglasses, and the rest of the Mel Tucker era swagger.

/rant

Back