What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Season News (2017)

He said it was like having two full time jobs, which is both a stretch and a complaint about the work load.

What he is saying is that it is basically impossible to fulfill your full potential as a student AND be a great college football player. Seems like a pretty valid statement to me.

That is not the same as saying "school is stupid."

What he is saying is that it is basically impossible to fulfill your full potential as a student AND be a great college football player. Seems like a pretty valid statement to me.

That is not the same as saying "school is stupid."
Most people in college can't fulfill their full potential though, it's not like athletes are the only ones who have other obligations limiting their commitment. Seems like certain kids value different parts of being a student athlete and act accordingly, not that it is some impossible situation to navigate.

Most people in college can't fulfill their full potential though, it's not like athletes are the only ones who have other obligations limiting their commitment. Seems like certain kids value different parts of being a student athlete and act accordingly, not that it is some impossible situation to navigate.

You call it complaining, I think he is just being honest. I do not think he is looking for sympathy either, more explaining the tradeoffs inherent with being a star college football player.

Being a student athlete is incredibly difficult, but they have a lot more support than the traditional student - academic help and coordination from the AD, other teammates giving them accountability, food provided saving time shopping/cooking, "free" education, stipend etc.

Let's see: don't wrap up, allow the runner to gain an extra yard (which appears to be the difference in him breaking the plane), then get in his face talking ****. Oh and he's your teammate. Looks like ASU is in mid-season form!

Edit: lmao! I didn't even notice the ref on the right signals TD.:ROFLMAO:

Second edit: more good form tackling ahead

Last edited:

Let's see: don't wrap up, allow the runner to gain an extra yard (which appears to be the difference in him breaking the plane), then get in his face talking ****. Oh and he's your teammate. Looks like ASU is in mid-season form!

Edit: lmao! I didn't even notice the ref on the right signals TD.:ROFLMAO:

Yep.

By comparison, I was noticing CU tackling drills the other day when they practiced inside. They were on the mats doing the Seahawks style of wrapping the legs, sliding down to bring the legs together, and rolling through to bring the guy down on the spot. Fundamentals beat hero ball.

Yep.

By comparison, I was noticing CU tackling drills the other day when they practiced inside. They were on the mats doing the Seahawks style of wrapping the legs, sliding down to bring the legs together, and rolling through to bring the guy down on the spot. Fundamentals beat hero ball.
Music to my ears.

Jim Hansen disagrees with Josh Rosen. Although I'll admit guys like Hansen are extremely rare.

I think that Rosen makes 3 valid points:

1) Most schools compromise who they let in to play their money sports and there is a portion of rosters that really have no business being in college calling other students their peers. Often, these athletes know the score and rightly see school as a nuisance that's part of staying eligible so they can put together a resume that will lead to a professional opportunity.

2) The emphasis in these money sports by the colleges is to keep everyone eligible, not to develop them to become elite scholars. Most of the student athletes were only allowed in because they could help win games and the way they manage all of them once they arrive is with that priority.

3) For those student athletes in the money sports who have the interest and ability to also be great scholars, they know that the only way they are able to stay at the university is by fulfilling the scholarship obligations. So, class schedules, study groups, reading outside of class and other activities that would allow the athlete to get the most of his educational opportunity will always come after every obligation and "optional" extra work expected by his sport.

This is the reality. And some schools try harder than others to recruit players who reasonably belong within the university on academic merit. Some schools try harder than others to provide a real education for student athletes in money sports. Some schools are more willing than others to design and amend sports schedules to encourage academic performance.

Scholastically, playing football detracts from academics for the few players who are high achieving scholars. No doubt. It takes far more time than a 25 hr a week job and is far more stressful. Having said that, I have spoken to a few players' mothers who develop huge smiles talking about Katie and how much she helped their sons, how proud they are about an impending diploma. Without the avenue of football, those are diplomas that would never have been earned, especially at an upper tier school like CU. I don't think the players are being exploited at CU. They play football, they get a degree and they are mentored in being honorable men. When I asked Jeffcoat about his son playing at Texas and his NFL draft potential, he said that he was getting his degree and that was all he was worried about. He said that rest takes care of itself.

I believe it was 30 for 30 that did a special on FSU. For a few years, Bowden tried to play championship level football and concentrate on sound academics. He couldn't compete with the many schools that didn't care. He went back to emphasizing keeping players eligible and not worrying about graduation. In general, I think the PAC 12 emphasizes graduation more than the other P5. I think they are getting it right.

He can always go back and finish up later if the NFL doesn't work out. I dont see this as an issue really. He just said what a bunch of players think anyway.

I badly want to beat USC... but not like this. They lost their kicker over the most ridiculous DV case I've ever seen. Let's beat them 42-21 or something and not have it be about the kickers.

I badly want to beat USC... but not like this. They lost their kicker over the most ridiculous DV case I've ever seen. Let's beat them 42-21 or something and not have it be about the kickers.

I feel bad for that kid, but not for USC. They've gotten their fair share of breaks and easy treatment. But I'll accept your score ☺️

Hear what Nik is saying but **** Usc, we need to finally beat that team. Tough situation for that kid, life is not fair sometimes.

I feel bad for that kid, but not for USC. They've gotten their fair share of breaks and easy treatment. But I'll accept your score ☺️

Easy treatment from who? The NCAA? USC got hammered for doing what Miami and the entirety of the SEC do on a weekly basis. Yet they go conspicuously silent when they do it.

Easy treatment from who? The NCAA? USC got hammered for doing what Miami and the entirety of the SEC do on a weekly basis. Yet they go conspicuously silent when they do it.
My friend played in the SEC at Bama. I never asked about any of that. I get my wallet out to pay the tab, we had food plus a few brews, 7 of us I think. He said, Luke put up your wallet. Pulled out a big roll of cash, paid out, we left. We went to a club afterwards and I didn't ask questions. Lol I know they knew I wanted to but I didn't. I was fine with it really.

Scholastically, playing football detracts from academics for the few players who are high achieving scholars. No doubt. It takes far more time than a 25 hr a week job and is far more stressful. Having said that, I have spoken to a few players' mothers who develop huge smiles talking about Katie and how much she helped their sons, how proud they are about an impending diploma. Without the avenue of football, those are diplomas that would never have been earned, especially at an upper tier school like CU. I don't think the players are being exploited at CU. They play football, they get a degree and they are mentored in being honorable men. When I asked Jeffcoat about his son playing at Texas and his NFL draft potential, he said that he was getting his degree and that was all he was worried about. He said that rest takes care of itself.

I believe it was 30 for 30 that did a special on FSU. For a few years, Bowden tried to play championship level football and concentrate on sound academics. He couldn't compete with the many schools that didn't care. He went back to emphasizing keeping players eligible and not worrying about graduation. In general, I think the PAC 12 emphasizes graduation more than the other P5. I think they are getting it right.
I think that Rosen makes 3 valid points:

1) Most schools compromise who they let in to play their money sports and there is a portion of rosters that really have no business being in college calling other students their peers. Often, these athletes know the score and rightly see school as a nuisance that's part of staying eligible so they can put together a resume that will lead to a professional opportunity.

2) The emphasis in these money sports by the colleges is to keep everyone eligible, not to develop them to become elite scholars. Most of the student athletes were only allowed in because they could help win games and the way they manage all of them once they arrive is with that priority.

3) For those student athletes in the money sports who have the interest and ability to also be great scholars, they know that the only way they are able to stay at the university is by fulfilling the scholarship obligations. So, class schedules, study groups, reading outside of class and other activities that would allow the athlete to get the most of his educational opportunity will always come after every obligation and "optional" extra work expected by his sport.

This is the reality. And some schools try harder than others to recruit players who reasonably belong within the university on academic merit. Some schools try harder than others to provide a real education for student athletes in money sports. Some schools are more willing than others to design and amend sports schedules to encourage academic performance.

I think there are 3 types of student athletes:

1 - The ones that know the score. They are only going to college to play football (maybe make it to the pros). Academics is something you need to stay eligible.

2 - The smart ones. They want to succeed at both football (or whatever sport) AND academics. They know they can do both, work their asses off, and succeed...all the while utilizing the benefits afforded them (tutors, dining table, free swag, whatever). We see it every weekend when they announce the scholar athletes of the game. Some of those guys have 4.0s or are graduate in 3 years and are working on their masters.

3 - The wankers. A la Rosen. "I'm not good at either, so I'm just going to bitch"

I think there are 3 types of student athletes:

1 - The ones that know the score. They are only going to college to play football (maybe make it to the pros). Academics is something you need to stay eligible.

2 - The smart ones. They want to succeed at both football (or whatever sport) AND academics. They know they can do both, work their asses off, and succeed...all the while utilizing the benefits afforded them (tutors, dining table, free swag, whatever). We see it every weekend when they announce the scholar athletes of the game. Some of those guys have 4.0s or are graduate in 3 years and are working on their masters.

3 - The wankers. A la Rosen. "I'm not good at either, so I'm just going to bitch"

Where do you get Rosen is bad at school?

hqdefault.jpg

Finally Cal found a category in which they can be better than Stanford.

#1 in debt.

That albatross of a high-debt stadium sits right on the Hayward earthquake Fault, too.

This begs the question of what will harm Cal first, fault or default?
I personally think it is complete bull**** for the university to put all of that on the AD, Wilner called them out the other day for that exact reason too. This is a campus issue that just happened to be a building the AD used. Some of the renovations were used for the club section but most of it was not.

Back