What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Peters and Akyazili Leaving (official)

CU's attrition isn't abnormal though. Thats kind of the point.

It's been abnormally high, I'd say. But I'd also say that it's better to admit mistakes and that things aren't working with certain guys than it is to keep them around and compound the problem. If Dustin Thomas doesn't leave, we don't have room for Derrick White. If Tre Fletcher doesn't leave, we don't have room for Namon Wright. If Kenan Gujonzik doesn't leave, we don't have room for Lucas Siewert. And if not for the Tommy Akyazili and Bryce Peters announcements, we wouldn't be able to add the guys that will be signed during this April period for next season. Attrition isn't necessarily a bad thing. Missing on too many recruits in 2013 and 2015 was a bad thing, but moving on with upgrades is a good thing. I've been calling for a new and better approach to recruiting strategy for the past several months, but even with that there will be misses. A mark of a good program is the ability to fill those openings well.

Or put it another way using KenPom's Four Factors that are most correlated to winning basketball:

eFG%
TOrate
OR%
FTrate
Tory Miller
54.6%​
16.0​
8.6%​
42.8%​
Conor Clifford
59.0%​
21.4​
3.7%​
20.0%​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Miller is better on 3/4 Factors. The one Clifford wins is not a big difference (especially since Miller's ORtg, a complex measure of offensive efficiency, is better than Clifford's at 104.7 vs 101.3). Miller is significantly better on TOrate and blows Clifford away on his OR% and FTrate.

Biggest thing with Miller this offseason is to work on his FTs. 50.0% was the killer for his numbers. As well as he shoots and as much as he gets to the line, if he can get that back up to the range of his frosh 75% or his soph 61.1%, his numbers go up a ton. More so, he developed a bigger tool kit on offense that added some finesse to his game, which was great. But in the process, his FTrate - as good as it was - was actually compromised. It caused his eFG% to increase from a frosh/soph performance of 47.0/46.0 (fantastic improvement!), but with that his FTrate dropped quite a bit from frosh/soph of 54.5/51.8. It also pulled him away from the basket more and took his OR% down from frosh/soph of 9.2/13.4.

Of note -- he also pretty much doubled his ARate from frosh/soph 3.3/2/4 to a junior year of 6.0. He became a much better passer in total -- reducing his TOrate considerably from a frosh/soph of 26.8/19.4.

Anyway -- Miller is a better basketball player than Clifford if your objective is to win basketball games. There's also a lot there which shows he is a developing basketball player who has improved considerably over his 3 years. Taken together, Miller isn't a bad bet at all to put this all together as a senior to deliver a very efficient season of playing winning basketball. Two main things he needs to fix: FT shooting and his Foul Rate -- he committed 6.4 fouls/ 40 minutes last season, which is probably the biggest thing holding him back.

I believe in Miller. I think people are looking in the wrong place for what CU's problems/ concerns are for next season. My biggest concern is that I don't believe we have a consistent, book it every night, #1 scoring option. We need to find that in the JUCO ranks, I believe.

King can be an excellent #2 from the wing. I believe Namon can be an excellent #3 from the off guard spot. I believe that Miller can get useful & efficient points with 4-6 plays a game run for him. I believe we have some other guys like Dom, Siewert and Brown who will give scoring like we saw on the best nights from guys like Talton and Thorne -- i.e., will give double digits in a minority of games when they are in a rhythm with their shot falling. But what we're missing is that primary ball handler who will break down a defense and get his every night. We need a guy like Copeland or Darrington badly.

(And I still believe that we could get surprisingly good production from our incoming freshmen + some useful FG% defense from Walton.)

All good analysis. Everything I posted was in response to Yngc saying that Clifford sucked. My point is that Wes and Tory weren't exactly a whole other level above him.

All good analysis. Everything I posted was in response to Yngc saying that Clifford sucked. My point is that Wes and Tory weren't exactly a whole other level above him.

Don't get me wrong, Tory and Wes struggled last year in different ways. But both were better defenders than Clifford by a long shot and made more positive impacts on the game.

You sure seem like a shill for the program. You almost always shoot down suggestions about the ways in which the program can improve, unless it is pointing a finger at the fans or AD (but not Boyle and his assistants). If this is as good as it gets in year 8 of Boyle's regime, I again ask why buy season tickets as I have for the past 21 years?
If that's actually what you think, you're not paying attention. I've been critical of recruiting since 2012. I've been hammering the stubbornness inside the program since before that. I've also been vocal about there likely needing to be a shake up of the staff.

So, pay attention. You might learn a thing or two.

If that's actually what you think, you're not paying attention. I've been critical of recruiting since 2012. I've been hammering the stubbornness inside the program since before that. I've also been vocal about there likely needing to be a shake up of the staff.

Sad thing is, some people aren't here to learn, they are here to vent.

I don't ask everyone to agree with me, even though I think they should because that's just how I am. I do ask people to present arguments that are based on something beyond them feeling the need to yell about something they don't understand. That feels reasonable to me.

The recruiting we have discussed ad nauseum. I'm not sure that there's much disagreement on the board other than a disagreement where some people want to emphasize bigs instead of guards (a mistake, imo) and some seeming to think that CU bringing in a Top 25 class is underperforming (a crazy expectation, imo).

With stubbornness, the main things I think you're talking about were Tad's resistance to mix things up by playing zone defense or pressing, his reluctance to utilize timeouts instead of having the team play through a funk, and his lack of emphasis on developing set plays on offense with additional practice time to that side of the game. I agree with the points you've made on those things and I think we saw Tad evolve on all those things the past couple years. We played a lot more zone (and looked competent doing it), pressed a lot more (and did it effectively by shortening shot clocks & forcing more turnovers), saw quicker if still too much holding back on timeouts, and even saw offense with backdoor cuts and (shockingly) scores off inbound plays against teams that started to overplay the base motion. Room to grow on all of that, but I thought Tad got better with these things.

Regarding a staff shakeup, I'd especially like to hear more of your thoughts on this. I thought Grier was a very successful hire for recruiting and schemes. I hope that some of the offensive improvements we've seen point to Kierney being listened to more. But I've always thought of Rohn and Pri as good coaches who were loyal extensions of what Tad wants done. The knocks I've heard whispers of are that Tad is maybe too loyal to them (which can freeze out other voices on the staff and minimize their suggestions on recruits, rotations and scheme) along with maybe too much of the staff having "CEO type" personalities when what Tad might need is at least one less cerebral, more "take the hill" motivational guy in the mix. Or maybe you're not criticizing any assistant per se but are just saying that things got predictable and stale due to too much continuity -- change for the sake of change sometimes being good for everyone. If so, I think that would have been a bigger point this past season with such a veteran team than it is for the upcoming season when we're turning over half the roster.

Last edited:
The stubbornness has to do a lot with what you mentioned, but more to do with the following. Tad is out of his mind for his stance on fouling up three late. Metrics show that his stance is the wrong one to take. His lack of engagement with the outside world, or at least his staff's, re: social media. It's outdated and petty.

I am not criticizing any assistant in particular, though I think D.B.O should be the youngest guy on staff, almost always. Unless you're a blue blood, I simply don't believe that staff's should stay this relatively stable for more than four years. You can have your guy, the one you confide in and rust more than others because you've been through wars together. But two of them is a problem because that's too many voices that, over time, will become stale.

The stubbornness has to do a lot with what you mentioned, but more to do with the following. Tad is out of his mind for his stance on fouling up three late. Metrics show that his stance is the wrong one to take. His lack of engagement with the outside world, or at least his staff's, re: social media. It's outdated and petty.

This this this this this 100 times this.

Yeah, except for the fact that the stats don't back any of this up. Pretty much middle of the Pac-12 in every shooting and ball handling stat this year. For a team that was mediocre. Defensive and rebounding statistics suffered this season, which as has been widely hashed out on this board was primary reason for a disappointing year. How about last year, 2015-2016, when they led the league in both free throw and 3 point percentage. Last year they actually were pretty ****ty handling the ball, but you can make up for that by leading the conference in rebounding, which they did.

When the facts don't back your narrative, might as well just make **** up.

8th in fg %...8th in 3pt percentage for a team with 4-5th year seniors picked by many to finish 5th in the conference is...well..a major fail. Damn those facts!

I'd argue that eliminating attrition is the #1 job descriptor for a mid-tier P5 basketball coach.
Absolutely!!!!! Team has AWFUL team chemistry....Two fifth year senior sitting the bench because...well....they were not good teammates.

I too would be delighted if @Medford M. is right, but the reports I have heard have been decidedly mixed. That might be expected for a guy who has had two knee surgeries and has missed a lot of on court time because of that knee. Definitely a guy who can really improve just by seeing time in the gym.

I went to Arvada West, know a lot of people in the area, and coaches and people that worked with DW. He's skilled. He has an above average shooting touch, no problems rebounding, and he can block some shots. He has good basketball acumen. He's acceptionally smart, and has good competitive fire.

He just needs time to strengthen and develop his body. His main setback with all of this has been with developing quality footwork and coordination, and he lost (for a short while anyway) any explosiveness and quickness that he may have been developing. But he can get quite a bit of that back over time. He basically lost his Jr and Sr years, although he played his Sr year - hampered by a cumbersom knee brace. Those -of course- are prime years where one's body is developing some of that explosiveness, confidence, and better coordination. However, those who know him say he should be a good post player for CU ... but that if his body and development come full circle, he could potentially be a special player.

Furthermore, when speaking of DW, I don't expect an immediate dominant presence on the floor beginning next season. I expect him to be a 15 min a night guy. There will be moments for him and then of course there will be other moments where he'll not do much. It will be a good FULL year of "game speed", feeling the intensity and competitiveness, and gaining even more confidence on the knee, which should be nice and strong by now. Anything above this expectation I believe is a terrific sign that he's on his way to being an impactful player for CU.
The main element for him will be how much of his footwork, and reactionary quickness he has gotten back, and how much further he can build upon that. He has good shooting touch and pretty soft hands, so I'm interested to see where he is NOW with his footwork, pivoting, and springing ability.

I like this approach with Dallas. He's already a pretty mature player with a good head on his shoulders, and pretty good skills to begin with.

"He's acceptionally smart"

The irony made me laugh. Other than that I hope you're correct coe. We need this kid to be legit.

Wow, you just don't sign there unless you think that you're guaranteed to be good enough to go pro and never,ever and I do mean never, want to go to class....or maybe he wants to be a nurse....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a JUCO isn't it? Could be looking to rebuild himself for a year and go back to P5.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a JUCO isn't it? Could be looking to rebuild himself for a year and go back to P5.
Yeah. It's just an interim JUCO year before finding his D1 home.

I could totally be imagining this, but hasn't there been another recent Buffs connection with NW Florida? That school is familiar to me for some reason.

I could totally be imagining this, but hasn't there been another recent Buffs connection with NW Florida? That school is familiar to me for some reason.
Former womens basketball assistant coach Patrick Harrington went to Northwest Florida as head coach when Lappe was hired at CU. A freshman he had recruited, Shea Kelley, left the CU WBB team after the exhibition game and left CU for Northwest Florida soon after. That may be the connection you are thinking of.

So what's the real story with Peters? This can't have all been the result of a missed study hall, with the multiple suspensions and transfer. What did he really do to get the boot?

Back