What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil Steele has CU#4 Most Improved 2018

We have a 4-5 win team. Winning 6+ is above expectation. CU is not good. We have a meh coach who hasn’t gotten it done. Going to only his second bowl as head coach of CU would be a major step forward.
They had a 5 win team in 2017 and have a Senior-heavy 2018 squad with more talented underclassmen than they've had in a long time. Winning 6 or more is not above expectation in the slightest, in fact, only winning 6 would be below most people's expectations for this team.

They had a 5 win team in 2017 and have a Senior-heavy 2018 squad with more talented underclassmen than they've had in a long time. Winning 6 or more is not above expectation in the slightest, in fact, only winning 6 would be below most people's expectations for this team.

I expect this year's team to be better than last year's team. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean more wins, but it should turn out that way. If we don't progress I think it indicates a real problem.

I know he needs help from the O-Line and Defense...but waiting to see how Montez does in avoiding 3 and outs/keeping drives alive before I make any sort of emotional commitment to this years team

Wouldn't hate it if one of the QBs in the wings ended up being the McKinley Wright of football though

Agree, but what these studies tend to miss when they look at the macros, is any team is only as good as it's weakest link. The CU weak link last year was DL play, followed by QB play. The OL wasn't great, but it was good enough to go bowling I think.

We will be improved if we have no obvious weak links and DL has to be the concern once again. Throw in OL and Montez for the trifecta.

Could be if we're talking about 3-0 in the non-con schedule and then 5-4 in Pac-12 play, then we win the bowl game.

I don't know if it meets the expectations of others here, but I'd be pretty much ecstatic if that ended up being our 2018 season.

I think the only way 8 wins puts us in that game is if we put only our champion into the NY6.....and that could happen. Our division is way down-UCLA is in transition, USC needs to reload a bit (their OOC is insane), Utah and Arizona should be good, and who the hell knows what ASU will be. I think 8-4 could easily earn a CG appearance. If Stanford or Oregon does enough to get into consideration for one of those games, that kind of record probably gets us the Sun Bowl bid.

There's not a single team in the PAC12 South that is great this year. USC's season will rely a bunch on the new QB, tbd. UCLA has to transition to a new system. No team ever wins under Sumlin, but maybe this year will be the year (until it wears off and they move towards massive under-achievement)?

I expect UW to dominate.

We have a 4-5 win team. Winning 6+ is above expectation. CU is not good. We have a meh coach who hasn’t gotten it done. Going to only his second bowl as head coach of CU would be a major step forward.
A bowl game should not be the goal. Winning championships should be the goal. Going to a bowl with a 3-6 conference record is, to me, very, very meh.

1, 0, 1, 8, 2, 3?

He should be fired, bowl or not, with that history of conference performance.

If we win 6 games, MM needs a contract extension ASAP! Guy is a miracle worker no doubt and plus CU should never lose a coach as good as MM. And we can definitely say that the Rise is Back!

A bowl game should not be the goal. Winning championships should be the goal. Going to a bowl with a 3-6 conference record is, to me, very, very meh.

1, 0, 1, 8, 2, 3?

Helps to be realistic sometimes. That's why schools like Nebraska keep firing guys after winning seasons. CU isn't near a point where competing for the Pac every year is remotely realistic.

1, 0, 1, 8, 2, 3?

This isn't a video game. Even if they only win 4 or 5 games, absent him choking a kid on the sideline, MM isn't going anywhere. He was just extended.

Yes. I noticed that, too. I also laughed.
Me too. Almost had a heart attack.

giphy.gif

1, 0, 1, 8, 2, 3?

I agree that he should’ve already been fired. You’re sorta making my point that our coach has gotten max gains out of the team. We are financially committed to him, however, so getting a bowl game this year would be better than what a neutral would expect. That’s what I mean about expectation. I don’t mean a goal.

There are 5 new PAC12 coaches.....that should be 5 wins...Even with Chip Kelly and Cristobal....new schemes/personnel and what not causes headaches and losses

Helps to be realistic sometimes. That's why schools like Nebraska keep firing guys after winning seasons. CU isn't near a point where competing for the Pac every year is remotely realistic.
Agree. But goal should be 5-6 conference wins this year. Nothing less. This progress will still be behind trajectory called for in Strat Plan.

This isn't a video game. Even if they only win 4 or 5 games, absent him choking a kid on the sideline, MM isn't going anywhere. He was just extended.
Mediocrity approach. Many here seem to be willing to accept that.

Me too. Almost had a heart attack.

giphy.gif

I think whats more likely is we don't see a coaching change in the conference after this year. Sure, Whittingham could leave Utah for greener pastures (wasn't there an internet rumor going around that he interviewed for the Nebraska job when they hired either Pelini or Riley?), but I'll believe that when I see it, because he's the most powerful person in their athletic department. That being said, MM's seat is probably the warmest of anyone in the league, as we are behind the Strat Plan and he does work for an AD who didn't hire him.

I kinda agree with the consensus D-Line evaluation. I think the O-line was awful, but it the WR’s drop passes like last year, I’m calling for Chev’s job

I kinda agree with the consensus D-Line evaluation. I think the O-line was awful, but it the WR’s drop passes like last year, I’m calling for Chev’s job
Chev ? that will get you banned around here as fast as calling for a new RB coach. Bcareful.

Chev ? that will get you banned around here as fast as calling for a new RB coach. Bcareful.

I know it and I like him as a recruiter, but the bottom line is that his group flat f#ckin sucked last year and he got a pass. Not this year! I through f#ckin around!

I know it and I like him as a recruiter, but the bottom line is that his group flat f#ckin sucked last year and he got a pass. Not this year! I through f#ckin around!
I don’t think it was his call to keep starting those guys once it became clear they weren’t performing.

Could be if we're talking about 3-0 in the non-con schedule and then 5-4 in Pac-12 play, then we win the bowl game.

I don't know if it meets the expectations of others here, but I'd be pretty much ecstatic if that ended up being our 2018 season.
First, I admit I was thinking pre-bowl game records, but even post-bowl, while it can happen, it seemed unlikely. So you made me check. The following is from 2001 when the Pac tie-in started. Shows the winners final records and the Pac participant if they lost. The Pac team went in with an average record of 7.3-4.6 and came out with an average record of 7.8-5.1, having 9 or 10 win seasons 4 times in 16 seasons (no Pac-12 team in 2016).

Back