What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Playoffs are really not that out of reach...

I think tomorrow is going to be interesting. Hocutt said last week there's very little difference between 6-9 (us, OU, Wisconsin, and Penn State). One would think that we would jump OU for a couple reasons. One, we played, and they didn't. Two, their loss to Houston looks weaker than it did last week. As far as PSU, a case could be made for us passing them as well, but I wouldn't be stunned if we don't. That said, the big game for us outside of ours is the ACC Championship game. If we take out UW, and VT beats Clemson, you're looking at this IMO-
1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Us/the Bedlam Winner
4) the Big 10 championship game winner

I don't think the Michigan result will matter. One, an injury flipped the momentum of that game. Two, the games to remember are played in November (old Zimmer line). Michigan lost 2 of 3 to the end the year.

I'm starting to wonder if UW and PSU win if there's a possibility that Clemson becomes the odd team out in that scenario. Clemson's schedule suddenly isn't looking so hot after Louisville's late season collapse and Auburn now has 4 losses.

No. If Clemson and UW win, they're in.

I don't think this would be the worst thing in the world. It would be the first game against a Big 12 opponent since leaving the conference and Buffs would probably be favored...

Too tired and lazy to look up in this thread where another poster asked you the meaning and origin of your handle ... did you ever answer it? You must realize that any mention of "corn" here arouses suspicion, unless it's on the cob and served with butter and salt. But you seem like a pretty reasonable and intelligent person, so of course I'd like to believe you have nothing to with that ****hole to the northeast of us.

No. If Clemson and UW win, they're in.

This is how I see it to. The controversy then will be OSU vs. the B1G champ.

What I really want is for all hell to break loose to help CU, and also so that the call to expand the playoff gets stronger.

Clemson has 8 wins against bowl teams only Bama has more.

Didn't several ACC teams get there by playing 4 cupcakes in the non-conference and having seriously losing records in conference play, though?

I'm sure you can find examples of that, but overall, the ACC's SoS is quite respectable.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html

OK. I was thinking of teams like Wake, BC and NC State. Weren't they all in Clemson's total? Just saying that it's misleading with bowl eligibility compared to, say, a 5-7 Cal that played Hawaii, San Diego State and Texas in the non-conference plus a 9-game conference schedule... or a 4-8 UCLA that played 9 conference games and also had away games at Texas A&M and BYU in the non-conference.

OK. I was thinking of teams like Wake, BC and NC State. Weren't they all in Clemson's total? Just saying that it's misleading with bowl eligibility compared to, say, a 5-7 Cal that played Hawaii, San Diego State and Texas in the non-conference plus a 9-game conference schedule... or a 4-8 UCLA that played 9 conference games and also had away games at Texas A&M and BYU in the non-conference.
Fair points. All three of those were in Clemson's victories. as we're FSU and Louisville and Pitt and the SEC teams.

Btw, Wake had non-conf wins against two bowl eligible teams.

Fair points. All three of those were in Clemson's victories. as we're FSU and Louisville and Pitt and the SEC teams.

Btw, Wake had non-conf wins against two bowl eligible teams.

I'm seeing Wake beating Indiana (6-6, check), losing to Army (ugh), beating Delaware (FCS) and beating Tulane (4-8 record). ACC wins over Duke, Syracuse and Virginia (none bowl eligible). And that got them bowl eligible. That's horrible, man. I'd assume that Oregon State (4-8) has a better strength of record - even without a win over a bowl eligible team - based on 2 non-con losses at Minnesota and vs Boise State plus playing 9 conference games.

The only issue with "Bowl eligible teams" is that it can be a misleading stat. Teams can be bowl eligible with only two conference wins. Its what we get when some conferences have only eight conference games which skew the stats.

I'm seeing Wake beating Indiana (6-6, check), losing to Army (ugh), beating Delaware (FCS) and beating Tulane (4-8 record). ACC wins over Duke, Syracuse and Virginia (none bowl eligible). And that got them bowl eligible. That's horrible, man. I'd assume that Oregon State (4-8) has a better strength of record - even without a win over a bowl eligible team - based on 2 non-con losses at Minnesota and vs Boise State plus playing 9 conference games.
you're right. I mistakenly read Tulane's record.

Clemson has 8 wins against bowl teams only Bama has more.

OK so Clemson is in with a win, I was just wondering if there was any doubt about them getting in now that Louisville has fallen off.

This is how I see it to. The controversy then will be OSU vs. the B1G champ.

What I really want is for all hell to break loose to help CU, and also so that the call to expand the playoff gets stronger.

I still think OSU is in. So I think if UW wins the last spot will come down to the Big 10 champ or UW

All I know is that I'll be rooting for "chaos over conference" on Friday ... GO BUFFS!!

It's hard to imagine a 1 loss P12 Champ UW team not getting in, but it's also hard to imagine a Big 10 Champ being left out because of a one loss Ohio State team that is in. There is going to be someone left out that shouldn't be and it's going to cause some glorious controversy. Hoping that Penn State wins the Big 10 to maximize said controversy.

It's hard to imagine a 1 loss P12 Champ UW team not getting in, but it's also hard to imagine a Big 10 Champ being left out because of a one loss Ohio State team that is in. There is going to be someone left out that shouldn't be and it's going to cause some glorious controversy. Hoping that Penn State wins the Big 10 to maximize said controversy.

If Wisconsin wins, it's probably easier to take Ohio State as a lone B1G team since tOSU beat Wisconsin. But if PSU wins? 11-2 Champ that beat the 11-1 hopeful? Hard to justify taking tOSU over PSU. I mean, if little things like actually winning your head-to-head matchup and your conference championship matter.

If Wisconsin wins, it's probably easier to take Ohio State as a lone B1G team since tOSU beat Wisconsin. But if PSU wins? 11-2 Champ that beat the 11-1 hopeful? Hard to justify taking tOSU over PSU. I mean, if little things like actually winning your head-to-head matchup and your conference championship matter.
Exactly, and I actually think Ohio State is one of the 4 best teams in the country, but might not be one of the 4 most deserving. Unless Wisconsin wins and they use head to head as justification to put tOSU in with Bama, Clemson and UW, (if they win) there is going to be a deserving team left out no matter what. We'll learn a lot about what the committee values a week from today.

When you have a hybrid championship system like this it is never going to be perfect or make everyone happy. In other sports everyone knows exactly what will get you into the playoffs, while this is all a big mystery. In my opinion a conference championship should trump everything else. All the other garbage should be used to pick which conference champions get in. I don't care if the "4 best teams in the country" get in or not, but everyone will know the only possible way to the national championship is winning your conference period. This would end 90% of the whining every year.

Too tired and lazy to look up in this thread where another poster asked you the meaning and origin of your handle ... did you ever answer it? You must realize that any mention of "corn" here arouses suspicion, unless it's on the cob and served with butter and salt. But you seem like a pretty reasonable and intelligent person, so of course I'd like to believe you have nothing to with that ****hole to the northeast of us.

my guess is that it is an anagram of his name. Here are some possibilities:
Lance Normnot
Lance Normton
Marc Nelonnot
Lemon Narcton

or my favorite:
Remnant Colon

Yes, I want to see them have to make a very tough decision and it's potentially shaping up that way if PSU and UW both win. The committee got off easy last year when Stanford beat ND at the end of the season, and even 2 years ago when OSU jumped TCU and Baylor it was justifiable given how strongly OSU closed the season. And a school like OSU or PSU with massive fanbases would raise alot more hell than the much smaller fanbases that TCU and Baylor have. Like you said, there is good potential for some major controversy.

Another reason I think that 8 playoff teams and P5 champ auto bids would be beneficial: encourages better out of conference scheduling because those games won't impact playoff potential nearly as much (win the conference and you're in, and the big SOS boost might help you out if you don't win your conference).

Just watched College Football Live... Paul Finebaum said....
Michigan should be in if Washington or Clemson loses... they have the best resume... much better than PSU & Wisconsin, and slightly better than CU.

Just watched College Football Live... Paul Finebaum said....
Michigan should be in if Washington or Clemson loses... they have the best resume... much better than PSU & Wisconsin, and slightly better than CU.

Finebaum also said that "Chris MacIntyre has done a great job coaching Colorado this year".

WOW!!! Greg McElroy said that the Pac-12 Champ should get in over PSU and Wisconsin.... says CU and Washington's resume are BOTH BETTER!!!

Another reason I think that 8 playoff teams and P5 champ auto bids would be beneficial: encourages better out of conference scheduling because those games won't impact playoff potential nearly as much (win the conference and you're in, and the big SOS boost might help you out if you don't win your conference).
I don't find it compelling, but this is the best argument I've heard to date in favor of autobids.

WOW!!! Greg McElroy said that the Pac-12 Champ should get in over PSU and Wisconsin.... says CU and Washington's resume are BOTH BETTER!!!
He's right. I've been challenging people for a week to compare our resume game by game, score by score with PSU's and Wisconsin's and explain to me how they have better resumes if we beat Washington. It can't be done. I mean, an argument can be made but whatever that argument is there are more reasons why CU's is better.

If Clemson loses we have a legit shot assuming we win. Coin toss. At that point it would be Alabama, Ohio St, the Big 10 winner and one spot left for us, Michigan, and Big 12 champ. I don't think they take a 10-2 big 12 champ with a resume not as good as an 11-2 CU Pac 12 champ. So it's us and Michigan. They then have to decide if they can put Michigan in (3rd Big 10 team), which would be two teams in the 4 team playoff that didn't even win their division, one of which has 2 losses...or an 11-2 CU Pac 12 champ that lost to Michigan but led on their field in the second half when Liufau went down.

But without Clemson losing we are dead. Which is unfortunate, because our resume is equal to everyone except Alabama.

He's right. I've been challenging people for a week to compare our resume game by game, score by score with PSU's and Wisconsin's and explain to me how they have better resumes if we beat Washington. It can't be done. I mean, an argument can be made but whatever that argument is there are more reasons why CU's is better.

If Clemson loses we have a legit shot assuming we win. Coin toss. At that point it would be Alabama, Ohio St, the Big 10 winner and one spot left for us, Michigan, and Big 12 champ. I don't think they take a 10-2 big 12 champ with a resume not as good as an 11-2 CU Pac 12 champ. So it's us and Michigan. They then have to decide if they can put Michigan in (3rd Big 10 team), which would be two teams in the 4 team playoff that didn't even win their division, one of which has 2 losses...or an 11-2 CU Pac 12 champ that lost to Michigan but led on their field in the second half when Liufau went down.

But without Clemson losing we are dead. Which is unfortunate, because our resume is equal to everyone except Alabama.

Exactly.... he is comparing facts..... I have been saying exactly that..... unfortunately.... when you use the same facts.... Michigan has a better resume than us....

Exactly.... he is comparing facts..... I have been saying exactly that..... unfortunately.... when you use the same facts.... Michigan has a better resume than us....
Michigan lost to ****ing Iowa, **** their resume!

We don't need chaos. We win, Clemson loses, we're in. They're not taking three big 10 teams
Exactly!! They aren't taking 3 big 10 teams!! Wisconsin and Penn State are not going!!!! Did you see the new rankings.???

Michigan is in front of CU, Wisconsin, and PSU.

Back