What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Please stay, Coach B

anyone have a gun... no hope no hope no hope

sp_1014_07_v6.jpg

Last edited:
If I were Bohn, I would at least make a phone call to Greeley.

Tad Boyle is a heck of a basketball coach.

He's now built 2 programs at the mid-major level. And he knows what life's like in the big tent, having played for Kansas. I would have no objections if Boyle was our next coach.

P.S. I hate to talk like this but I've gone from thinking at first that this was Bzdelik's buddy helping get his name out and increase his negotiation position... to thinking that Bzdelik will be announced as the next Wake Forest coach within the next few days.

Tad Boyle is a heck of a basketball coach.

He's now built 2 programs at the mid-major level. And he knows what life's like in the big tent, having played for Kansas. I would have no objections if Boyle was our next coach.

P.S. I hate to talk like this but I've gone from thinking at first that this was Bzdelik's buddy helping get his name out and increase his negotiation position... to thinking that Bzdelik will be announced as the next Wake Forest coach within the next few days.

That blows...oh well, should not have risen my hopes for Buff basketball....I learned my lesson.

McClain would certainly be an affordable, presumably safe hire if he were to just be promoted. I'd love if he could deliver as well as Gaudio did in succession of Skip Prosser. Or as Frank Martin did after Bob Huggins. But as we've seen with our talented football assistants, schools currently making a better commitment to athletic success are just too hard to say no to after running in place at CU.

Wonder if Bz was/is pissed at admissions and wants to go somewhere with a better commitment to winning.

Wonder if Bz was/is pissed at admissions and wants to go somewhere with a better commitment to winning.

I wouldnt' be surprised..

This really sucks.. But I can't blame Coach B for leaving.. I think there are some questions about him recruiting wise but Coach B is a very good game day coach from what I've seen..

Not sure what we'll do for a replacement and we still need to get some recruits I believe don't we?

What I can't figure out is why Wake fired Gaudio and would look at Bzdelik as an upgrade. Gaudio had a top 10 class coming in next year and he went to the 2nd round of the tourney this year. Bzdelik's never won a tourney game and hasn't even made the postseason in 3 years at CU. He's also never signed a 4* recruit.

I've made no secret of the fact that I'm a fan of Bzdelik. But as I've posted on other boards, if I were a Wake guy i'd be screaming :wtf: .

Gaudio has a reputation of a good recruiter but a bad game day coach.. I guess the AD thought Dino had done the best that he could.. Dino I believed coach somewhere else before Wake in the early 90's and wasn't very successful.

So we fire our women's basketball coach, our men's basketball coach is about to leave for gold and black on the East Coast, and the only man standing is the one that went 3-9 last season, has never had a winning season for us, and is getting ready for a Spring Game tomorrow? Something is horribly wrong with CU Athletics. Why again is the Pac 10 interested?

PS: We are losing the national spot on ABC the day after Thanksgiving, too.

So we fire our women's basketball coach, our men's basketball coach is about to leave for gold and black on the East Coast, and the only man standing is the one that went 3-9 last season, has never had a winning season for us, and is getting ready for a Spring Game tomorrow? Something is horribly wrong with CU Athletics. Why again is the Pac 10 interested?

PS: We are losing the national spot on ABC the day after Thanksgiving, too.

thanks for the summary mr twitter blog dude

Agreed. He was my first (hopeful) choice back in '07. Plus he has zero security right now at Oregon.

God .. it would be just like CU to F*** this whole thing up!! Just when you get going, you get an ounce of momentum, things start to really look good .. wham!! .. the rug is swept right out from under ya.

CU would then probably do something stupid like hire Abatemarco or McClain as the HC because it's convenient. McClain is a fantastic teacher/coach who had some (SOME!!!) success at Wyoming, but I don't trust that any of that would translate to CU or the Big 12, I just don't.

Last edited:
What happens to the players and recruits??

I understand CU was high on the list for Majok Majok ... you suppose he'll come here now?? NOT!! Can we plan on kissing Marc Michel goodbye as well??

Wow. I understand it's not a done but it doesn't sound at all positive or likely that he would stay.

It's tough to compete with the ACC, which, despite the recent success of the Big 12 and Big East, is the preeminent college basketball league. Great tradition; great programs; great coaches (who get paid tons of money). To make matters worse, it will be much easier for Bzz to elevate WF to the top echelon of the ACC than it will be to get CU to the top of the Big 12 (event the B12 North). This is true despite the fact that Wake is a lily white, Baptist, high-academic standard school in the middle of nowhere. (CU, on the other hand, is a lily white, non-denominational, mid-level academic school in one of the best places on earth.)

My guess is that, if WF pulls the trigger, they will offer Bzz substantially more money than he makes now. It's a higher prestige job with lots more upside. (OTOH, they'll fire his ass in a flash if he doesn't produce big-time results in his first two years.) Even if CU puts an extension on the table, it's not going to be competitive with the Wake package.

It Wake wants Bzz, Bzz is gone.....

That blows...oh well, should not have risen my hopes for Buff basketball....I learned my lesson.

On a positive note, I've been 100% wrong before and much more sure I was right before learning otherwise (see Thanksgiving 2009).

So maybe the sports gods owe me one and this time I can trade being an idiot for a basketball recruiting boost and a long-term commitment from our coach. :lol:

just off-topic here: Dunlap is a great hire for Lavin at St. John's. put some x and o behind the faceman. i never liked Lav at UCLA much; but, i thought he was pretty decent in the booth....i have to say i'm pulling for him a little (and with Dunlap on board, even moreso).

i think Bz stays. if not, maybe go get Gaudio. Boyle would also be a very good option (since i doubt our possible search will extend beyond the region).

there's always a sober (?) Billy Gillespie out there....though, i hear he wants the TCU or SMU job.

Last edited:
It seems like he's been looking for a way out since he got here. Sorry, I like Bzz, but enough is enough.

This is a fact. I'm sorry I was such an ardent supporter of this hire.

It's time to acknowledge that CU is destined to be a bottom dweller in the B12. We should hire Patton back. At least he could get to the NCAA tourney every five years or so, the NIT every other year, and no one ever pursued him. Hell, if they start selling beer again that would be enough for me to renew my season tickets.

It's tough to compete with the ACC, which, despite the recent success of the Big 12 and Big East, is the preeminent college basketball league. Great tradition; great programs; great coaches (who get paid tons of money). To make matters worse, it will be much easier for Bzz to elevate WF to the top echelon of the ACC than it will be to get CU to the top of the Big 12 (event the B12 North). This is true despite the fact that Wake is a lily white, Baptist, high-academic standard school in the middle of nowhere. (CU, on the other hand, is a lily white, non-denominational, mid-level academic school in one of the best places on earth.)

I disagree with this statement. Wake has quality players, but I'm not sure Bz can just elevate them to the top of the ACC. Wake's program had a lot of talent, but there was a lot of dissension within the team according to rumors. If you remember in 2008-09, Wake's team just tanked, and it was widely speculated that the team did not get along. If you remember when Bz got here, he just started telling players to leave due to attitude or playing ability. I think Wake's position would be challenging to get back into the top of the ACC. They lost a lot of players, and even though they have some decent recruits coming in, you don't win next year in the ACC with freshmen. The Big 12 is weak next year after having been the strongest conference this year (in my opinion). CU should be in the middle of the pack next year at the least.

BUT, if Bz wants to leave, that's really ****ty. This is the worst time for Wake to search for other teams too with signing day starting Wed. I am psst about this whole situation. Bz was the only GOOD hire that Bohn has made, and he can't keep him. How the **** are we going to sign a big man now? Without a big man, we are not going to show marked improvement next year in my opinion. Some improvement, but not a lot like I was hoping. How is Bz recruiting with these rumors? He is screwing CU over by not declining these rumors, as recruits undoubtedly get news like this fed to them from other coaches. This sucks...

I just don't understand why Wake would hire Bz over Dana Altman though...or a lot of other coaches?

Didnt see this one coming, ****!!! I guess have fun being Duke and Carolina's bitch year in and year out. Wow, we cant win for losing around here, I was hoping I was still dreaming and this wasnt real. ****, Im at a loss for words.

What happens to the players and recruits??

I understand CU was high on the list for Majok Majok ... you suppose he'll come here now?? NOT!! Can we plan on kissing Marc Michel goodbye as well??

Wow. I understand it's not a done but it doesn't sound at all positive or likely that he would stay.

What happens to the current players? If McClain is not hired I have a strong feeling many of our current players will transfer out of here or declare for the draft. The players currently on the team
want to play for McClain, trust me. They are familiar with him and respect him alot as a
coach. He has proven to us buff fans that he is fully capable of coaching this team. If you
cant remember, go back and watch the games that he took over for Bzdelik, while he was
dealing with personal issues, and you will see the passion he coaches with and the effort he
gets out of the players. It would be a big mistake for CU to take anyone other than McClain
as i would foresee many transfers should he not be named HC. Just my opinion......

What happens to the current players? If McClain is not hired I have a strong feeling many of our current players will transfer out of here or declare for the draft. The players currently on the team
want to play for McClain, trust me. They are familiar with him and respect him alot as a
coach. He has proven to us buff fans that he is fully capable of coaching this team. If you
cant remember, go back and watch the games that he took over for Bzdelik, while he was
dealing with personal issues, and you will see the passion he coaches with and the effort he
gets out of the players. It would be a big mistake for CU to take anyone other than McClain
as i would foresee many transfers should he not be named HC. Just my opinion......

probably true. McClain did a good job in Hawaii, you are right. I liked his Wyo teams.

Don't you guys have some recruits on campus this weekend (henry from Three Rivers is one I believe). Got to be a hard time for a visit, if the recruits and their parents are following this.

Don't you guys have some recruits on campus this weekend (henry from Three Rivers is one I believe). Got to be a hard time for a visit, if the recruits and their parents are following this.

I do not believe there are any recruits currently in town

I didn't know Henry was visiting this weekend. This can't help. But unless some other programs have stepped forward, CU would be his strongest offer by far regardless of what Coach Bzdelik does. Last I heard, UNC-Greensboro and Texas-San Antonio were the other programs that were after him the hardest. Whether we have Bzdelik or not, we're still offering immediate PT on a Big 12 team that returns 2 all-conference guys, desperately needs athleticism in the frontcourt, and was only 1 win away from the postseason last year. If I'm Henry, i jump at a CU offer if I get one.

I'm a UNC Greensboro alum and I'm watching this one very closely :). G has five freshmen signed and they need a JUCO big-man to stop gap until the three bigs who are freshmen and sophs can mature. The team is rebuilding from what Iowa's new head coach Fran McCaffery and the old AD did to the program (left the current coach with a program reduction in scholarships and a poor graduation history) and has moved from an 1800 seat on campus facility to the historic 23,000 seat Greensboro Coliseum. Next year they will play 8 ACC schools (they played 7 last year) and will have one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country again.

Who knows what he'll choose, but UNCG has a lot more to offer now than they did a few years ago. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Good Luck and I hope you keep your coach, everyone I know in the coaching world thinks he's a winner.

I'm a UNC Greensboro alum and I'm watching this one very closely :). G has five freshmen signed and they need a JUCO big-man to stop gap until the three bigs who are freshmen and sophs can mature. The team is rebuilding from what Iowa's new head coach Fran McCaffery and the old AD did to the program (left the current coach with a program reduction in scholarships and a poor graduation history) and has moved from an 1800 seat on campus facility to the historic 23,000 seat Greensboro Coliseum. Next year they will play 8 ACC schools (they played 7 last year) and will have one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country again.

Who knows what he'll choose, but UNCG has a lot more to offer now than they did a few years ago. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Good Luck and I hope you keep your coach, everyone I know in the coaching world thinks he's a winner.

Didn't know you guys were playing in the Coliseum now. That's a great basketball arena if I'm thinking of the right place (often an NCAA tourney site, right?). You guys were always good and seemed to be on a cycle of making an NCAA appearance about once per recruiting class, iirc.

Welcome to AllBuffs. And best of luck to you guys. There's no reason your program should be in the bottom third of the Big South like it's been lately.

Back