What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Please stay, Coach B

Let me preface this by saying I've always thought Bz is a bit of a flake. But I've grown to embrace him because I think he is bringing our program back. But his deal was, though implied, that his staying was contingent on the new facility. So, we gave him the new facility. If he leaves right after we've broken ground on it, I will lose all respect for him. Yeah, he isn't obligated contractually to stay. But, in my way of thinking, he is obligated morally. I'm sure that his retort would be "I brought in some great building blocs and a new facility. I've helped set the foundation. It is up to CU to take it from here."

I don't think Bzdelik will go, but if he does:

Steve McClain does a lot of work with the team and I feel he deserves the head coaching position based on what he did in Hawaii

Bzdelik will look bad...he always talks about the integrity of the University and how they do it the right way, yet he is walking out 4 days before national signing day

He will find the ACC difficult and will probably be back in the NBA in 2 or 3 years...that seems to be his cycle

Didn't know you guys were playing in the Coliseum now. That's a great basketball arena if I'm thinking of the right place (often an NCAA tourney site, right?). You guys were always good and seemed to be on a cycle of making an NCAA appearance about once per recruiting class, iirc.

Welcome to AllBuffs. And best of luck to you guys. There's no reason your program should be in the bottom third of the Big South like it's been lately.

Thanks,

Yes the Coliseum is the home of the ACC tourney (it rotates out occassionally) and also the NCAA tourney site. Former SMU (and former UNCG coach) Mike Dement is back at the helm and building us up slowly again.

Part of the problem is that we aren't funding our program, AND we've moved from the Big South to the Southern Conference. The funding issues are being addressed but it's a lot different to compete with Davidson, Charleston, App State, Wofford (for now), and Chatanooga than Winthrop, Liberty and Charelston Southern.

Thanks,

Yes the Coliseum is the home of the ACC tourney (it rotates out occassionally) and also the NCAA tourney site. Former SMU (and former UNCG coach) Mike Dement is back at the helm and building us up slowly again.

Part of the problem is that we aren't funding our program, AND we've moved from the Big South to the Southern Conference. The funding issues are being addressed but it's a lot different to compete with Davidson, Charleston, App State, Wofford (for now), and Chatanooga than Winthrop, Liberty and Charelston Southern.

In fact I think they're having 1st/2nd round games at the Greensboro Coliseum next year.

It's tough to compete with the ACC, which, despite the recent success of the Big 12 and Big East, is the preeminent college basketball league. Great tradition; great programs; great coaches (who get paid tons of money). To make matters worse, it will be much easier for Bzz to elevate WF to the top echelon of the ACC than it will be to get CU to the top of the Big 12 (event the B12 North). This is true despite the fact that Wake is a lily white, Baptist, high-academic standard school in the middle of nowhere. (CU, on the other hand, is a lily white, non-denominational, mid-level academic school in one of the best places on earth.)

You seem to be forgetting that Purnell just made the jump from Clemson to DePaul in what was a strange move. Maybe he sees it as a chance to bring DePaul back to the top in a talent-rich Chicago area instead of always being 2nd fiddle at a school and in a state where basketball is a distant 2nd to football.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already (didn't see when browsing thru this thread), but Wellman and Bz spent time together at Northwestern from 1981-1986, so there's a connection.

rssbot has some bad news....at least speculation thereof. i did see Steve McClain at the Spring Game with his kids (I assume)....he was sporting CU gear and carrying his blackberry in a most provocative way.

OK, what cliche do you guys want to hear? "It ain't over till its over", or "it ain't over till the fat lady sings?"

Coaches talk to other schools tons of times. It is part of the game. It does not mean he will leave. So, get a grip, sit back, and wait until something real comes out.

Wow is all I can say. Sounds like Bzdelic is gone, according to Channel 4. I'm just shocked. It also sounds like Bohn is really, really pissed. He just found out that Wake Forrest has been talking to Bzdelic for quite a while without asking for permission. If Bzdelic does this to CU, he will rank right up there with Ricky on my all time **** list.

Wow is all I can say. Sounds like Bzdelic is gone, according to Channel 4. I'm just shocked. It also sounds like Bohn is really, really pissed. He just found out that Wake Forrest has been talking to Bzdelic for quite a while without asking for permission. If Bzdelic does this to CU, he will rank right up there with Ricky on my all time **** list.

For a guy who preached integrity and doing things the right way...this was all wrong

Yep and yep... very dickheaded move on his part if so. Air Force fans were right.

If this is indeed the case, and although I like guys like Frank Haith and Billy Gillispie, McClain should be handed the reins to stem roster attrition and because he already has the system down.

And all Bzdelik will be remembered for by me is looking like Rick Moranis and being Larry Brown minus the success.

OK, what cliche do you guys want to hear? "It ain't over till its over", or "it ain't over till the fat lady sings?"

Coaches talk to other schools tons of times. It is part of the game. It does not mean he will leave. So, get a grip, sit back, and wait until something real comes out.

Hahahaahahahaah! Seriously, DBT? These are honest-to-God subsequent posts in this thread! Hahahaahahahhahahahaha!!! Whew!! Hahahhahaha?

Leaks everywhere now. Denver Post also reporting it as a done deal basically.

The more I think about this, the more angry I get at Buzz. After those demands (which he received, to the benefit of all), and the talk of how to do things, the rumors that he has been in contact WFU for a long time without permission from CU, the seemingly constant desire to be somewhere else, and to do this literally days before signing day.... really pisses me off.

Scumbag move jeff, they break ground and you hit the ground for tobacco road? Can we get a decent coach in any sport?

The only complaint I think Bz could have with CU is "admissions". If that's it, I hope he internally makes his points to give Bohn some ammo to work with. If in fact that is the case, we need to fix the system - finally. Epic DB is Bz either way.

I'm disappointed he's leaving, but I'm not angry. Bz is leaving the job in much better shape than when he found it. His demands have paid off -- we have a new practice facility that will be operational in 2011. This will help immensely with recruiting. We have a young team with some star power that should help us entice a good coach. If we bring in a good coach (Mike Dunlap? Tad Boyle?) then we can continue to build.

That being said, it does hurt that he's leaving right before LOI day....

Am I mad? yes, but let's try to look at this from Jeff's perspective. He has a daughter who has a history of serious health problems who attends Wake Forest. You get an opportunity to go to Wake as the head coach, where you're daughter is only minutes away. Remember folks, Bzdelik was offered a far more lucrative position at Arkansas before he took the job here. I don't think of him as that much of a scumbag, but it does leave a bad taste in your mouth, especially when he leaves right after the groundbreaking of the practice facility.

Here's my take. We are working ourselves into a lather for a guy who has mixed results here. I guess its because our expectations are so low that we are fawning over his .380 winning percentage. Yes, he was moving things in the right direction, but I never got the sense that he would take CU to the next level. Besides, we should be sick of him looking for another job every offseason. Show at least some loyalty.

Look, college basketball is fickle enough to see HUGE jumps in improvement in very short periods of time. Look at Baylor, K-State, Purdue, Tennessee. These schools were bottom feeders not too long ago. They made a good hire or two and voila, Top 25.

With that said, the key is to gamble on an up-and-coming coach who can come in here and wow everyone, namely recruits. While I dig McClain's style and the continuity he brings, like Bzz, I doubt he has what it takes to allow us to leap into the upper echelon of the Big XII.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why everyone thinks McClain is not qualified for this job. To start off, he is our Associate Head Coach. He isn't just an assistant. Usually when an assistant is named Associate HC, he has experience and is probably in line to take over as next head coach when the current coach leaves. Not to mention he has had a lot of success in the past. He started at the Junior College level and won a national championship and national coach of the year in his 3rd year as HC. At Wyoming, i dont believe he ever had a season under .500 and was named MWC coach of the year in 2002 after his team made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA. As far as recruits go, McClain has been CU's main recruiter since he got here. Dude is always on the road visiting recruits and trying his best to get them to come here, which is all know is not an easy task. You may say he isnt a good recruiter because we havent really got any big names but i think part of that is because of the style of play. Its tough selling kids on the princeton offense because it is slow and boring. When McClain was coaching JC, his teams averaged over 90 points a game. He is more of an up tempo type of coach and i guarantee most highly touted recruits want to play that type of offense. Add all that together with the fact that the current players want him, trust him, and loved playing for him in Maui and I think you have a no brainer.

Reactions: dio
I'm not sure why everyone thinks McClain is not qualified for this job. To start off, he is our Associate Head Coach. He isn't just an assistant. Usually when an assistant is named Associate HC, he has experience and is probably in line to take over as next head coach when the current coach leaves. Not to mention he has had a lot of success in the past. He started at the Junior College level and won a national championship and national coach of the year in his 3rd year as HC. At Wyoming, i dont believe he ever had a season under .500 and was named MWC coach of the year in 2002 after his team made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA. As far as recruits go, McClain has been CU's main recruiter since he got here. Dude is always on the road visiting recruits and trying his best to get them to come here, which is all know is not an easy task. You may say he isnt a good recruiter because we havent really got any big names but i think part of that is because of the style of play. Its tough selling kids on the princeton offense because it is slow and boring. When McClain was coaching JC, his teams averaged over 90 points a game. He is more of an up tempo type of coach and i guarantee most highly touted recruits want to play that type of offense. Add all that together with the fact that the current players want him, trust him, and loved playing for him in Maui and I think you have a no brainer.

It is not a "no brainer". This is the major issue I have with the AD these days. A coaching search is just another term for the path of least resistance. Would it hurt us to actually interview some outside candidates? It seems to me that McClain is an obvious candidate to formally interview, but why shouldn't we interview someone like Tad Boyle as well?

If Bz wants to go to Wake, you cannot blame him. I am guessing that it pays substantially more and that program is more conducive to success on an annual basis than is CU. More support, better conference, better reputation, better recruiting grounds. Coach Bz has done some really good things for CU. While the wins are not there yet, the quality of play is substantially better and he has done so with arguably lesser talent. If he leaves, I would hope that you show a little bit of class and appreciate what he has done for our program. If he stays (and I cannot say that I would if I were in his shoes), those of you condemning him will look foolish.

Also, great pub for our program on the off-chance that he stays.

If someone is capable on staff to take over the program and you are 3 days away from signing day, you give them the job. Ask Oregon how their multiple offers and being turned down everytime is working for them. We can't lose recruits waiting for a new coach..if we can get Majok Majok here with McClain, hire McClain TONIGHT.

Back