What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Polls, rankings and bowl projections

Why? More my own curiousity here.
Well, it's probably a wash the more I think about it, but beating two separate highly ranked teams looks better on the resume than just one.

If Oregon beats UW this week, UW probably drops to say #13 (either way, top 15). CU beats #13 (top 15) next week. Oregon runs the table, and enters the CCG with only 1 loss, ranked anywhere from #2-7 most likely.

On the flip side, UW wins this week, they remain where they're at most likely, in that 6-7 range. We beat them next week and have that win to our resume, but they also fall to the 12-15 range with 2 losses and stay around there until the CCG, in which they lose to us again.

So, IMO, it basically comes down to beating a top 6-8 team next week or in the CCG, to which I think doing so later against a separate team is far better for the committee than having your best win happen now and a mediocre win later on.

Well, it's probably a wash the more I think about it, but beating two separate highly ranked teams looks better on the resume than just one.

If Oregon beats UW this week, UW probably drops to say #13 (either way, top 15). CU beats #13 (top 15) next week. Oregon runs the table, and enters the CCG with only 1 loss, ranked anywhere from #2-7 most likely.

On the flip side, UW wins this week, they remain where they're at most likely, in that 6-7 range. We beat them next week and have that win to our resume, but they also fall to the 12-15 range with 2 losses and stay around there until the CCG, in which they lose to us again.

So, IMO, it basically comes down to beating a top 6-8 team next week or in the CCG, to which I think doing so later against a separate team is far better for the committee than having your best win happen now and a mediocre win later on.

Agree, but I'd rather have a road win over a then top 6-8 opponent. Not sure anybody in the country (Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, or ND) could be able to flaunt that.

For all this back and forth, it sure is fun to have this conversation as opposed to “will we win enough to get into a bowl game?”

And while I suppose it’s still technically possible that we lose seven in a row, I really don’t see that happening.

I think a one loss Oregon team who beat UDub and lost an OT game to Stanford after substantial game control would have a better chance than a one loss UDub that lost to an OK SEC team, m albeit early and essentially on the load.

A 13-0 CU would have a better chance than a 12-1 OU or UDub. While it might be fun to think about it, I don’t see it. ESPN runs the simulations every day. Day before yesterday, an undefeated CU was 3/20,000, yesterday it was 1/20,000.

Given these odds, I still think a 12-1 OU is the best shot for a P12 CFP team.
Auburn loss on the road > Stanford loss at home

Wat? No, **** Oregon, I hope they lose every game the rest of the year.

No. Root for the North team in a game like that that we play.

I don’t actually ‘want’ Oregon to win out, I ****ing hate them. What I really meant was if someone has to go get embarrassed in the CFP, I hope more than anything it’s those ****s. I want them to lose every game but I would get immense joy if they made it that far only to get slaughtered. I would much rather it be Washington or CU, obviously.

I think this whole conversation is interesting considering that our last seven regular season games will likely be some of the nation’s toughest.

Aside from Oregon State, all of our remaining games are probably going to be tight, one score affairs. 5/7 teams have been ranked or have a decent chance of being ranked by the end of the season. We’re definitely going to get Arizona’s best shot, especially in a late-night road game on a short week. Home dogs in this spot are very difficult. P12 teams with big aspirations often fall flat here.

Navigating these last seven games will be a great challenge for everybody, particularly if the team keeps winning.

Meh, Arizona hasn’t shown anything and could be done pretty early.

1) at Washington
2) at usc
3) WSU
4) Utah
5) at cal
6) at zona
7) Oregon state

I feel pretty confident about this team battling against interior opponents so I see the bottom three as fairly easy wins as of right now ( obviously injuries change things) but it all pretty much comes down to this weekend. Those top four are going to be tough, especially if we lose on the road tomorrow.

The mere fact that our Buffs are even in this discussion excites me!
Six key Week 7 games that could shape the playoff race

i
i

6. Colorado at USC (10:30 p.m., FS1)

If Colorado wins:
The Buffs take their first step in defying the odds. According to ESPN's FPI, Colorado is the underdog in six of its seven remaining games, including Saturday, with just a 26 percent chance to win. What happens in Eugene (See: No. 1 on this list) also affects the importance of this game, because Washington and Colorado meet Oct. 20. If both win this weekend, the stakes will be even higher, as the Pac-12 needs one of those two teams to win out and capture the conference championship. If they both lose this weekend, that game will be irrelevant nationally.

If USC wins: The Pac-12 is guaranteed to have at least a one-loss conference champion, as Colorado is the league's last undefeated team. If Colorado loses this weekend but Washington wins, next Saturday will most certainly be an elimination game for one of them.

Meh, Arizona hasn’t shown anything and could be done pretty early.

1) at Washington
2) at usc
3) WSU
4) Utah
5) at cal
6) at zona
7) Oregon state

I feel pretty confident about this team battling against interior opponents so I see the bottom three as fairly easy wins as of right now ( obviously injuries change things) but it all pretty much comes down to this weekend. Those top four are going to be tough, especially if we lose on the road tomorrow.

I'd put Cal up there with the top 4. They're a bowl team IMO, but they don't have the horses to compete with Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Wazzu in that division. That'll be a tough game.

I'd put Cal up there with the top 4. They're a bowl team IMO, but they don't have the horses to compete with Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Wazzu in that division. That'll be a tough game.
Just not good enough offensively and they are starting to get hit by some bad injuries. Utah is a way bigger challenge.

Just not good enough offensively and they are starting to get hit by some bad injuries. Utah is a way bigger challenge.

If Utah is eliminated from the division race but we're not, there's going to be a serious motivation gap in that game, especially with the Holy War coming up a week later.

I don't disagree, but that's the kind of game that ranked teams lose-See Clemson losing at Syracuse LY or to Pitt in 2016. Similar to UW losing at Fork U last year as well.

If Utah is eliminated from the division race but we're not, there's going to be a serious motivation gap in that game, especially with the Holy War coming up a week later.
That is possible, but there could be a huge motivation gap with Cal too.

Not sure how serious a gap there'll be-think back to 2 years ago. They came here having blown a game to an awful Oregon team the week before (which cost them a chance at the South), and that was back and forth until the fumble return by Olugbode. They'll come to play.

That is possible, but there could be a huge motivation gap with Cal too.

I totally agree. If we go in there having sealed up the division, for example, there might be a problem. Luckily, I think they'll be bowl eligible but out of the division race, so there might not be much to play for. IMO, though, we'll still be in a division battle, so we would have motivation for that game, too.

Not sure how serious a gap there'll be-think back to 2 years ago. They came here having blown a game to an awful Oregon team the week before (which cost them a chance at the South), and that was back and forth until the fumble return by Olugbode. They'll come to play.

They didn't have the Holy War the next week that year. If there's a motivational issue, and I'm not guaranteeing there will be, that's going to play a large role.

I totally agree. If we go in there having sealed up the division, for example, there might be a problem. Luckily, I think they'll be bowl eligible but out of the division race, so there might not be much to play for. IMO, though, we'll still be in a division battle, so we would have motivation for that game, too.

They didn't have the Holy War the next week that year. If there's a motivational issue, and I'm not guaranteeing there will be, that's going to play a large role.

True, but I think KW is a damn good football coach, and I think he'll have them ready. They're not gonna roll over.

Back