What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Post Arizona @ CU Game thread (Relevant)

Beating a ranked team as an unranked team in football is far different from beating a ranked team at home in basketball. Home teams win 70% of conference games. Within the last week we saw winless in conference Minnesota knock off #6 Maryland.

Again, if it brings the students out
out, great. That outweighs looking like
the equivalent of CSU storming when they beat us.
I would argue that acting like we've achieved a status we have yet to earn is far more CSU-like than what the students did last night.

Last edited:
I would argue that acting like we achieved a status we have yet to earn is far more CSU-like than what the students did last night.

We were an underdog by a few points. A team doesn't need to be "Duke" to not **** their pants with disbelief over beating a decent -albeit not elite- opponent.

We were an underdog by a few points. A team doesn't need to be "Duke" to not **** their pants with disbelief over beating a decent -albeit not elite- opponent.
Honestly, it's really weird that it bothered you so much.

Additionally, the logic you're using to defend your position is flawed.

Honestly, it's really weird that it bothered you so much.

Additionally, the logic you're using to defend your position is flawed.

Its not flawed when you realize he thinks a lot less of Arizona as a program and team both historically and today than do many folks who are based on the west coast. Its not like we beat Duke, UNC, KU or UK

Its not flawed when you realize he thinks a lot less of Arizona as a program and team both historically and today than do many folks who are based on the west coast. Its not like we beat Duke, UNC, KU or UK
That is not the reason I am identifying.

His logic is flawed because he is propping up CU's Bball accomplishments, while simultaneously diminishing the Wildcats'- trying to make AZ and CU's Bball teams appear to be more equal than they are.

The bottom line is we haven't sniffed the top 25 in quite some time and we beat a top 10 team at home, with the victory likely propelling us into a spot in the NCAA Tourney. Enjoy it. Have fun. Quit being that guy.

Some lecture:

"Miller was a douche all night, but storming courts after beating 5 seeds is a bit lame. Whatever"

"They can storm every game if they show up. Just saying that it really wasn't a huge upset. Beating a team of that caliber at home should happen fairly often"

"Again, storm every game if it means students will show. It's just not something most programs that make the NCAA Tournament 4 of the past 5 seasons would do."

"I really don't see how it would imply I'm "taking college sports too seriously" when I've stated twice that I'd gladly accept a court storm for every game if it means 11,064 at the Keg."

God forbid anyone have a differing opinion. It's not like I questioned a decision of Tad. We all know the Allbuffs sentence for that is 25 to life.

I was there last night - surrounded by Az fans. At least they were gracious (far more than when CSU fans come to town). A few quick thoughts....

1. Full disclaimer - I'm an old fart. I have two kids at CU. For you alums who may have forgotten - the idea of rushing the court is spontaneously decided by a couple of rows of kids between 18 and 22. There's no sanctioning body, nor any authorizing memo from a CU Regent. It's more, "Ready, Fire, Aim!" than anything else. Many of them figure it's their one shot at ESPN glory. So they take it. So long as no one gets hurt - I say, go get 'em. Don't give me the small time schtick. These kids are there for four years (roughly). Their perspective isn't that of the longtime program fan.

2. Tad's questions were interesting. Paraphrased - "Why isn't the CEC like this every night?" and "Why don't we play with this energy and focus every night?" Tad - there's a causal relationship here. Play like that every night, and we'll show up every night. Ditch the careless turnovers, battle for rebounds, and play D with passion - and I'll always show up.

3. I'm no fan of Sean Miller but aside from his court storming tirade - the guy's post-game presser was awfully complimentary of Tad, Josh & Wes and the rest of the team. Downright gracious. Not saying it's going to be a pattern and not ignoring his other antics - but it was a very gracious moment in time. Nice to see the gang get their props.

I think people have made some good points both for and against storming the court. Bottom line for me is that many of those at the game last night will remember the fun and the joy and being able to have set foot on the court. Makes it much more likely that those folks will be back to generate similar excitement in the future. I am not going to argue against too many things that help generate excitement and a better atmosphere in the keg. Congrats to the Buffs on a much needed win.

That is not the reason I am identifying.

His logic is flawed because he is propping up CU's Bball accomplishments, while simultaneously diminishing the Wildcats'- trying to make AZ and CU's Bball teams appear to be more equal than they are.

The bottom line is we haven't sniffed the top 25 in quite some time and we beat a top 10 team at home, with the victory likely propelling us into a spot in the NCAA Tourney. Enjoy it. Have fun. Quit being that guy.

No, really, I'm not. Arizona was favored by a few points. Home "upsets" like this are standard. You can look around the college basketball landscape and find a few comparable "upsets" like this each and every week of conference play. This isn't one of Arizona's better teams. None of this is "twisting" or "diminishing" anything. It's just reality.

Changing the topic- the discussion of Tad's (lack of) timeout usage has been a big one. Watching a coach employ the opposite strategy last night was interesting. Miller didn't hesitate to use timeouts early and often in the second half. In fact, I believe Arizona used their final timeout around the 9-minute mark. Think maybe he wishes he had a timeout or two left for the York fumble or to draw up a 3-point shot on that final possession? Of course the flip side is that he may have stopped CU from running away with the game in the 2nd half by wisely stopping some momentum and temporarily quieting the crowd.

3. I'm no fan of Sean Miller but aside from his court storming tirade - the guy's post-game presser was awfully complimentary of Tad, Josh & Wes and the rest of the team. Downright gracious. Not saying it's going to be a pattern and not ignoring his other antics - but it was a very gracious moment in time. Nice to see the gang get their props.

My impression is that there's a professional respect among Miller, Tad and Larry K. Similar philosophies on how to run a program and similar schemes that focus on defense & rebounding. They're all generally very complimentary of one another after they play.

I have no real problem with rushing the court, but the "let kids be kids" logic is faulty.

LOL

Fair enough - let me rephrase:

In situations such as these, young people should be allowed to partake in their natural youthful exuberance without being tsked by the more jaded sports fan.

Better?

No, really, I'm not. Arizona was favored by a few points. Home "upsets" like this are standard. You can look around the college basketball landscape and find a few comparable "upsets" like this each and every week of conference play. This isn't one of Arizona's better teams. None of this is "twisting" or "diminishing" anything. It's just reality.
I'll be sure to tell the students after our next win, "Guys, this is standard. Please try and calm down. Seriously, before you clap too loudly, just take a look around the basketball landscape!"

I'm the guy who wrote a one sentence post ending in "whatever" about court storming. I then got about 75 responses, some of which were as long as 3 paragraphs. And I'm the one who apparently "cares too much" one way or the other about this issue? Yeah, OK.

One of my favorite memories as a CU fan was rushing the court when we beat TJ Ford and Texas in '03. Students will always remember those special moments and I think experiences like that will keep them coming back.

My impression is that there's a professional respect among Miller, Tad and Larry K. Similar philosophies on how to run a program and similar schemes that focus on defense & rebounding. They're all generally very complimentary of one another after they play.

Only the guys who cover the team can really speak on this, but from everything I've heard and seen I think Tad & Sean actually get along REALLY well. There's some serious respect there.

As for all the P12 coaches, for the most part I think they all get along well and have respect. I know last year when I talked to someone about it, they said that everyone was tight except for one exception (his name starts with a "D" and ends with an "ana"). Not sure how everyone feels about Hurley.

Can someone clarify for me what the rule is when a player is rolling around on the ground with possession of the ball? Sometimes traveling is called and sometimes not? There was a play with around a minute left when this happened and it was a no call.
I thought that was traveling for sure. Especially if it was traveling when Josh Fortune went down with the ball and didn't move.

When we won the conference tournament the first year in the league, Miller was highly complimentary. I think he said Colorado was a breath of fresh air in the league. Something like that. I've always respected him.

Arizona isn't, and never will be, a blue blood.

Not sure if this is relevant to the topic being discussed, but I think it should be said as much as possible.

Oh hell, let it go. Team and fans deserved to be happy. I'm not taking any sides here really. If we were to start winning like a Duke or Kentucky, doubtful, I wouldn't like it but we are where we are.

Miller is usually complimentary and pretty gracious in defeat. He's always gotten away with being Arizona's 6th defender, but last night was a side of him you don't usually see.

Back