What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Post-Spring Depth Chart (May 12)

I'm glad to see Oliver at 1st string CB. His athleticism is evident (see track this year), and he'll only get better. I know we'll need Witherspoon, and he makes some plays, but I found myself too many times seeing #23 as the player who was burned on big TD plays for the other team.

Also, I'm not at all surprised to see Weifels at 3rd string at center. He got chewed out by a coach for ****ty play during the spring game, and it was evident that he wasn't giving the needed effort at the time.

Losing Elijah Rodriguez to Texas at the 11th hour and filling with Wiefels really hurt at the time and looks like an even bigger deal in hindsight.

Excited to see that list of incoming wide receivers. Wish we could add at every position like we did at WR last recruiting cycle. If we have a decent season we will be making more great additions to the receiver spot.

Interesting to see Callahan and Lopez where they are at on the depth chart. My hope was they just needed some motivation this spring, but that does not look to be the case.

Its a little concerning to see the lack of depth in year 4 of MM's tenure. The only position I feel somewhat comfortable losing a player or two is at the RB position. Let's hope we have some players step up in fall camp.

I am so pumped to see Chido and Oliver as our starting CB's this year. I really think this could be one of the best CB tandem's in the Pac 12. I have huge expectations for Oliver, as he has all the tools to be one of the best CB's. People should be getting on his bandwagon.

Past that, nothing is really too surprising. I don't want to fathom the QB position if Sefo is not healthy to play in the fall.

Last edited:
What looks good to you guys?
What scares you because we're depending too much on guys returning from injury/suspension or newcomers?
What positions do you see as a liability no matter what?
Should CU still be working the transfer and JUCO markets for any position?
DLine depth is scary

DLine depth is scary

We need Samson to make it. That would give us the best starting group we've had at CU in a long, long time. I like Franke quite a lot as a backup and I do think Jackson can give some quality snaps. Plenty of time of some other young guys to step up. But we really need Samson.

Because Miller outplayed him?

I'm not as close to the situation as Holic is but my impression is that Miller is motivated, intelligent, and very athletic for a big man. He was put behind by the injury situation and is still working on growing into his potential but if he doesn't end up starting for a couple years for us I will be surprised. Don't want to get to far ahead but a kid with his athletic ability and his length could develop into a pro prospect, something we haven't had nearly enough of recently.

Adkins looks great the couple of games a year he has been able to play for us. He is going to have to prove to the coaches that he can stay on the field before they put a lot of trust in him again.

Overall we look to have fewer glaring holes than we have had in recent years. I don't guys in starting spots who are Sun Belt level players. We even have some backups who belong at the P5 level.

Overall though we are still paper thin. We absolutely can't afford significant injuries on the DL or on the OL. Assuming Webb isn't coming we absolutely have to have Sefo healthy. Gerke isn't a starting P5 QB and Montez isn't ready. LB especially inside is one bad hit away from being a disaster.

Whose the difference maker on offense?

Did I really see references to true freshman contributing earlier in this thread?

Why is the nations 22nd OT out of high school unable to win srarter at talent poor CU after leaving talent rich Auburn?

Im not optimistic that we bowl. Or do much else.

You think injuries are just a small part of who plays?
I think you play your best player until injury takes that away. He's had 2 injury filled years. Does that make him injury prone, unlucky or a wimp?

Idk, but plenty of NFL guys have had a 2-year run like that, then bounced back.

If Adkins is the best you have, you don't sit him because he's been injured a lot in the past.

I think you play your best player until injury takes that away. He's had 2 injury filled years. Does that make him injury prone, unlucky or a wimp?

Idk, but plenty of NFL guys have had a 2-year run like that, then bounced back.

If Adkins is the best you have, you don't sit him because he's been injured a lot in the past.

When his fitness and focus were questioned this spring in addition to the injury history, you don't build your offense around counting on him as your RB1 either. You go into the season with Lindsay as the guy you most trust, Carr as the potential superstar, and Lee as the best receiving back. Then, if Adkins shows up this fall in the type of shape and with the attitude that tells you he's on a mission, you give him the opportunity to seize things since he really does have all the tools.

I'm not as close to the situation as Holic is but my impression is that Miller is motivated, intelligent, and very athletic....

I was speculating really as I haven't talked to Isaac since the spring started. I know he's serious about FB and being the best he can be. Some others haven't been.

Sackys question just struck me as so misplaced. It's high time we align expectations on Shane Callahan based on 4 hears of college rather than the fact be was highly recruited. I think he's given his best to be a good Buff. But a few of the guys that Bernardi's brought in to the dismay of our board have a chance to be really good.

When his fitness and focus were questioned this spring in addition to the injury history, you don't build your offense around counting on him as your RB1 either. You go into the season with Lindsay as the guy you most trust, Carr as the potential superstar, and Lee as the best receiving back. Then, if Adkins shows up this fall in the type of shape and with the attitude that tells you he's on a mission, you give him the opportunity to seize things since he really does have all the tools.
If he doesn't show up in shape enough to be your best guy, of course you don't go with him. But you don't bypass him because he has an injury history.

If he's a soft wuss, that's different. You and I have had that discussion but I haven't heard tha from anyone on the team. I prefer to be cautious in taking internet quips and making them fact.

Why is the nations 22nd OT out of high school unable to win srarter at talent poor CU after leaving talent rich Auburn?

Frame this.. Tell Elway to forget about player evaluation. Future success is set in stone when kids are 17. Get a Rivals and scout sub!

I have no problem with Adkins being where be is on the depth chart. He's got to earn it and evidently didn't in the spring. Just saying you don't disqualify him from the chance to earn it because of last injuries as others said earlier.

You cannot make Adkins an every-down #1 back if he has never shown the ability to stay healthy. How is that such a provocative notion to accept?

You cannot make Adkins an every-down #1 back if he has never shown the ability to stay healthy. How is that such a provocative notion to accept?
Why can't you, until he gets injured? What if be goes 9 years and never misses a game again? You confusing fantasy FB with reality? We have backups. You play an inferior talent because the guy may or may not be injury prone?

Why can't you, until he gets injured? What if be goes 9
years and never misses a game again? You confusing fantasy FB with reality?

Because apparently he can get injured seemingly every year he plays for multiple games and people will toss it aside when discussing him as a player. I guess I can conveniently forget Devin Ross' drops and Sefo's interceptions too.

Because apparently he can get injured seemingly every year he plays for multiple games and people will toss it aside when discussing him as a player. I guess I can conveniently forget Devin Ross' drops and Sefo's interceptions too.
You think being injured in this violent game is the same as dropping passes? Let's not play him because he seems more likely to get hurt? So we will go with a less talented guy instead?

That's just illogical Duff

Adkins is not listed as starter because talk is he can't even play slightly dinged. His injury should not have been a season ending one. Teammates notice a player not giving the same effort and his has been noted.

Adkins has done some damage against good competition and we are holding out hope for him but his spring depth chart position shows the coaches want him to work for it this year after maybe gifting him some opportunities. He is definitely a MacIntyre guy but Hagan will be interesting to see how he splits carries and who he sees as a fit.

As for other positions: WR the Buffs are very solid at and will only get even better next year.

OL I like the young guys pushing aside the older vets. Callahan has had many opportunities and not been able to take it. Last year's OL play makes me rather see a young guy make mistakes over an old guy get his ass kicked for the 2nd or 3rd straight year.

LB is scary. I don't put much faith in Gillam being a factor. If he is the factor he was Year 1 then my concern drops exponentially.

QB waiting to give my opinion in a week or so. No Webb and we are screwed. No Sefo as well and we are ****ed!

You think being injured in this violent game is the same as dropping passes? Let's not play him because he seems more likely to get hurt? So we will go with a less talented guy instead?

That's just illogical Duff

He missed most of last with a hamstring injury, not an amputation. So yeah, I think that becomes a factor when talking about giving him 15-20 carries a game for 12 weeks straight. How could it not?

The coaches have been able to lean on Lindsay when asked. You think that seriously goes unnoticed?

He missed most of last with a hamstring injury, not an amputation. So yeah, I think that becomes a factor when talking about giving him 15-20 carries a game for 12 weeks straight. How could it not?

The coaches have been able to lean on Lindsay when asked. You think that seriously goes unnoticed?
Vikings should seriously consider playing someone in front of AP this year. He's had injuries in the past.

Not comparing AP to Adkins obviously, just pointing out the flaw in your logic. If you want to make the argument that Adkins isn't the most talented back and should not be RB1, I could probably align with that. But the idea that you don't play the best back because he might get injured is weird. That would be akin to a soldier at war not firing his weapon because he might miss.

Vikings should seriously consider playing someone in front of AP this year. He's had injuries in the past.

Not comparing AP to Adkins obviously, just pointing out the flaw in your logic. If you want to make the argument that Adkins isn't the most talented back and should not be RB1, I could probably align with that. But the idea that you don't play the best back because he might get injured is weird. That would be akin to a soldier at war not firing his weapon because he might miss.

If a RB has not proven to stay healthy, his carries will be limited though. That happens all the time, at both the college and pro levels. People keep acting like Adkins should be getting 25 carries and the discussion is over.

And yeah, I don't think the gap between Adkins and the rest is big either, if at all.

If a RB has not proven to stay healthy, his carries will be limited though. That happens all the time, at both the college and pro levels. People keep acting like Adkins should be getting 25 carries and the discussion is over.

And yeah, I don't think the gap between Adkins and the rest is big either, if at all.
Risk aversion has been proven to be a bad strategy. Run the best horses and make sure quality depth is available if he goes down again. There's a difference between having a plan and risk aversion.

Its a little concerning to see the lack of depth in year 4 of MM's tenure. The only position I feel somewhat comfortable losing a player or two is at the RB position. Let's hope we have some players step up in fall camp.

Interesting observation Pate. I think this one may be on our expectations. We expected him to come in and start winning, forgetting a little how far we had fallen as a program. I think we also expected much better recruiting than we got early on. It may be that is hindsight HCMM's biggest error here is not having better recruiters to begin with. Solid recruiting equals depth and this is something we are just starting to see with the last class and the beginnings of this one. If he can just make a bowl this year and hold on to his good recruiters then we might see the kind of depth you commented on in another year or two.

• A hamstring is debilitating. You absolutely can't play with that injury.
  • The injury can vary from a few days off to several weeks. Much longer if it recurs, which is not uncommon when attempting to come back too early.
  • There's reason to believe that he was held out near the end of the season as he was not 100% (i.e. he missed a lot of conditioning time) and a RS was still available.
If in fact he is our best option, you play him, with no regard to past injuries. I happen to agree with Medord that Adkins is better than our other RB options when in shape and healthy. So yes, if he's in shape and healthy, and he shows he's our best RB, then I go with him, and ignore past injuries.

If in fact he is not "dedicated to football" (as I assume you and 'Nik believe), then you consider that when you are rating your depth chart. That is much different than demoting him because of past injuries. This is a violent game and lots of solid RBs have missed similar time.

If he doesn't have what it takes (in his heart) to be a RB at this level, then I agree with you. I just don't agree with that conclusion because he had a nagging hammy.

Back