What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Predictions for RMS

I also disagree on your assertion about needing 1M people in N Colorado communities for CSU to have a shot at the BCS. There are plenty of BCS schools with smaller populations than CSU. Look at Kjuco, Ames, Stillwater, Lubbock, and just about every SEC school residing in a town ending in "ville".
What would bring the BCS to Ft. Collins is a religious passion for football. This means people wanting to travel to the Fort on gameday, donate money, fill the stadium, and also cheer on highschool

CSU DNTIFSE.

It's about television sets. CU isn't in the PAC 12 due to the passion of our fans or their willingness to donate to the school. We're in the PAC because Denver has about 2 million television sets.

Again it is a far from perfect measure but USnEws & WR ranks the CSU vet school #3 in the country behind Cornell and Cal-Davis and tied with NC State, this is a drop of one spot in their rankings.

CSU ranks fairly highly although not close to elite status, in some other programs as well, Graduate occupational therapy #6, and a number of natural sciences programs in the top 100.

Overall their ranking is significantly below CU but still reasonably respectable. This all said in terms of getting into a conference that will make college athletics a financially viable effort for them it isn't going to help them a bit. Simple truth is that college athletics is about generating interest in the school and much more importantly generating dollars. CSU could double their home attendance for football (and even with a small stadium they are pretty close to having room) they would still be out out the range that gets conferences interested. Simply put, almost nobody pays to see them play and almost nobody even bothers to watch them for free when they are on TV. There is no way that they would justify a media share from a major conference based on the value they would bring to the media contract.

It's about television sets. CU isn't in the PAC 12 due to the passion of our fans or their willingness to donate to the school. We're in the PAC because Denver has about 2 million television sets.

And CU was a BCS school since the beginning. We can both agree the P12 has little to no interest in CSU.

You are missing the point by confusing CSU's path to BCS status as a separate event than CU's Pac 12 invitation.

Houston has >4M and Cougar High or Rice isn't BCS.
Villanova and Swarthmore are in Philly, and neither of those institutions are BCS.
San Diego isn't home to a BCS school.
Nor is Las Vegas or Portland or New Orleans or New York City.
Lots of TVs in those towns.

And CU was a BCS school since the beginning. We can both agree the P12 has little to no interest in CSU.

You are missing the point by confusing CSU's path to BCS status as a separate event than CU's Pac 12 invitation.

Houston has >4M and Cougar High or Rice isn't BCS.
Villanova and Swarthmore are in Philly, and neither of those institutions are BCS.
San Diego isn't home to a BCS school.
Nor is Las Vegas or Portland or New Orleans or New York City.
Lots of TVs in those towns.
There are already other BCS schools in those areas. There aren't any others in Ft Collins. It's not all they need, but it is a requirement, IMO.

There are already other BCS schools in those areas. There aren't any others in Ft Collins. It's not all they need, but it is a requirement, IMO.

Unicorns. They need unicorns. And a giant ferris wheel.

There are lonts of BCS schools in areas with less viewers than CSU has in their viewing area. The big difference is the people in those areas care, in Ft. Collins they don't.

If CSU completely closed the football program, outside of the core of 8,000-10,000 serious fans how many people would even notice or care five years later.

The University of North Texas provides a cautionary tale for CSU.

"The [new] stadium hosted its first game on September 10, 2011, when the Mean Green lost 48 to 23 against the University of Houston football team. A massive effort by the university and the athletic department to sell out the first home game at the new stadium did not succeed, as the game attracted 28,075 spectators. By the third home game, versus the Florida Atlantic Owls football team, attendance had dropped to a season-low 13,142 spectators. Home attendance at Apogee Stadium averaged 19,445 per game, or 63% of the facility's capacity of 30,850."

The entry for Apogee Stadium is fascinating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apogee_Stadium

Basically a $78M stadium with a capacity of 30,800 and within walking distance of campus and within easy striking distance of Dallas Fort Worth.

So much for "build it and they will come".

The University of North Texas provides a cautionary tale for CSU.

"The [new] stadium hosted its first game on September 10, 2011, when the Mean Green lost 48 to 23 against the University of Houston football team. A massive effort by the university and the athletic department to sell out the first home game at the new stadium did not succeed, as the game attracted 28,075 spectators. By the third home game, versus the Florida Atlantic Owls football team, attendance had dropped to a season-low 13,142 spectators. Home attendance at Apogee Stadium averaged 19,445 per game, or 63% of the facility's capacity of 30,850."

The entry for Apogee Stadium is fascinating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apogee_Stadium

Basically a $78M stadium with a capacity of 30,800 and within walking distance of campus and within easy striking distance of Dallas Fort Worth.

So much for "build it and they will come".

And that in a state where college football is important to the population.

I think a big, new stadium in Ft. Collins will soon become a big, almost new white elephant.

It's hard for them to accept that they aren't big time in football but a much better approach would be to build a nice 20,000 seat on-campus stadium and go FCS where they could compete for championships giving the fans a reason to come to the games and enjoy.

There are only 27 Vet schools in the United States. All have excellent reputations, including CSU. Vets have degrees from these schools and they work all over the US and world. I have nothing but respect for these degrees because how few people achieve this dream.

Chicken ****er.

Probably, but not too many true freshmen excel their first game of their career.

@ the people saying we won't play well in a new scheme. It's pretty much the same style (Pro-Style). The difference is the 3-4 defense which fits our players 1000x better.

Seriously.... I don't see how CU can win with no returning starters, a QB that was buried on the depth chart at Texas (yeah, their QBs are good right???), and no DL. Nwoke will run for 250 yards against that defense.

CSU=20+returning starters. CU=5? You'll have more true freshmen starting then returning starters

No question Nwoke is a good player. Good size and speed for a RB. BUT you gotta remember this is a team game. CSU OL is gonna be mediocre at best. How many sacks did they allow last year or this spring (to their own medicore DL mind you). AND CU DL is decent but most importantly the LB are among the better groups we have had in a long time. The LB's will more than make up for youth on the DL against a team who cannot block effectively. So I am gonna go with Nwoke gaining about 60 yards. He could gain more but do you think CSU will be running the ball when they are down 21 points by halftime?

There are only 27 Vet schools in the United States. All have excellent reputations, including CSU. Vets have degrees from these schools and they work all over the US and world. I have nothing but respect for these degrees because how few people achieve this dream.

Seinfeld agrees

"KRAMER: Oh, I'll take a vet over an M.D. any day. They gotta be able to cure a (Snaps his fingers in rhythm with his words) lizard, a chicken, a pig, a frog (Stops​
snapping) - all on the same day."

Little Jerry Seinfeld ****er!​

And that in a state where college football is important to the population.

I think a big, new stadium in Ft. Collins will soon become a big, almost new white elephant.

It's hard for them to accept that they aren't big time in football but a much better approach would be to build a nice 20,000 seat on-campus stadium and go FCS where they could compete for championships giving the fans a reason to come to the games and enjoy.

It's a vicious cycle. Midmajor conference equals poor attendance. Poor attendance reinforces no BCS invite.

SMU built an on campus stadium and they have struggled to fill it except against TCU.

But now they have a Big East invite in their hand, they are talking of filling in the horseshoe and adding another 14 thousand seats. SMU will get more TV time and the Big East has a beachhead in Texas.

I suspect that SMU'S invite is not only because of the huge Dfw TV market, but also because SMU & Houston gives fellow conference members access to fertile texas recruiting areas.

The lesson from SMU is that BCS invites are not about the stadium. Its about adding markets and acquiring high school players.

Poor Fort Collins brings only a modist offering with regards to high-school talent, television viewership and facilities.

They really are a decade behind and have completely missed the window for easy access to debt financing that fueled the facility expansions pursued by other mid-major programs who have successfully elevated their conference status.

This group read the tea leaves correctly and adapted to survive.
Utah P12 2011
Boise State BE 2013
TCU B12 2012
Memphis BE 2013
UCF BE 2013
South Florida BE 2005
San Diego State BE 2013
Navy BE 2015
Baylor (still in BCS via B12)
Mizzou (still in BCS via SEC)

The jury is out on BYU, and the long term viability of KState, Iowa State and perhapse Kansas.

As for CSU and Ft. Collins, this is simply not a football Mecca and their inactivity until the hire of Jack Graham is a testiment to the fact that the school has been asleep while others were fighting for their football lives.

I wonder if the BE BOLD initiative is mistaking activity for progress. Maybe this is a case of too little, too late. Maybe the window is still open. We'll see.

Either way, it's critical in this struggle for football relevency that the majority of Ft. Collins pushes in the same direction as Captain Jack.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the posters on ramntion a little white back wrote a letter saying that he would buy season tickets immediately if they build a stadium on campus. In the same letter he wrote that he would never buy season tickets at Hughes. The logic of that fan base confuses the hell out of me.

One of the posters on ramntion a little white back wrote a letter saying that he would buy season tickets immediately if they build a stadium on campus. In the same letter he wrote that he would never buy season tickets at Hughes. The logic of that fan base confuses the hell out of me.

They might actually get a few people who share his sentiment. A new stadium, especially an on-campus stadium is likely to give them at least a temporary attendance boost. The problem is that when you start as low as they are even a significant boost leaves them short of the mark. Add 25% and you are still barely over 26k per game. Double their attendance which is virtually an impossible hope would still leave them at around 40k, not enough to interest the major conferences in sending millions of dollars their way.

They might actually get a few people who share his sentiment. A new stadium, especially an on-campus stadium is likely to give them at least a temporary attendance boost. The problem is that when you start as low as they are even a significant boost leaves them short of the mark. Add 25% and you are still barely over 26k per game. Double their attendance which is virtually an impossible hope would still leave them at around 40k, not enough to interest the major conferences in sending millions of dollars their way.

I agree. What I was getting at though was their fans, this guy is a active poster on ramnation, won't go to Hughes to watch their favorite CFB team play. Hell, I would go to Hughes to watch the Buffs play. I'm thinking about going to Pullman. This is why they are not relevant. CU still has great attendance and we have been horrible. Our discounted tickets are cheaper than their normal priced tickets.

I agree. What I was getting at though was their fans, this guy is a active poster on ramnation, won't go to Hughes to watch their favorite CFB team play. Hell, I would go to Hughes to watch the Buffs play. I'm thinking about going to Pullman. This is why they are not relevant. CU still has great attendance and we have been horrible. Our discounted tickets are cheaper than their normal priced tickets.

They say money talks. CU averages over double the attendance that CSU does even with an average ticket price that is double what they charge. Rough math means that each CU home game results in four times the ticket revenue plus the additional revenue from concessions, advertising, and other in stadium sources.

Very confusing. It doesn't sound like this person wants to support the players, and doesn't enjoy the comraderie of fell Rams fans.

What kind of fan cheers the stadium at the expense of the players?

CSU: Crack whore budget. Cocaine dreams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope we get similar support when we announce our facility plans:

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_20596948?source=bb

But we do not take issue with the university's motivation. In the face of eroding state support, the school is looking for ways to make up for lost dollars, and that's wise.

Read more:Editorial: A new football stadium for CSU? Why not? - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_20596948?source=bb#ixzz1umwPS5hQ
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Kapri Bibbs - the former highly prized CSU RB commit who was caught cheating on his ACT's last year (or the year before?) is still not eligible to join the Rams. He may be eligible in the spring of 2013 to head to campus

Kapri Bibbs - the former highly prized CSU RB commit who was caught cheating on his ACT's last year (or the year before?) is still not eligible to join the Rams. He may be eligible in the spring of 2013 to head to campus

No, "it's amazing how much the NCAA has screwed him."

Is Kapri going to become the CSU version of Russell Lovett or Gates.

According to gasm he took and passed 45 credits in 2 semesters. Is that even possible?

According to gasm he took and passed 45 credits in 2 semesters. Is that even possible?

Not at CU. Maybe at a non-legit CC. He already cheated his ACT maybe he had others take classes for him.

Edit: Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. Didn't one of their recruits get busted cheating on the ACT?

Last edited:
Not at CU. Maybe at a non-legit CC. He already cheated his ACT maybe he had others take classes for him.

Edit: Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. Didn't one of their recruits get busted cheating on the ACT?

Quoting myself like the douche I am.

I looked into it and it is the same guy that cheated on his ACT.

I would think any college in their right mind would steer clear of this guy. A five point bump in your ACT isn't unheard of but it is so rare that I can only recall seeing it a handful of times in my 5 years here. Then you add on the 22.5 credits per semester and things start getting into the wow factor. Then you add onto that the the kid was playing football at Snow JC while taking 22.5 credits and he is now some sort of academic superman.

Back