What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Protect CU's Future: Write to CU Regents before May 17 Meeting (Now May 22nd)

Got a nice response from Heidi Ganahl in a separate email. Was very nice of her to say I was heard and it matters.

I have a general question. Why does an AD that is financially divided from the university in almost every way have to gain approval from the board of regents for contract negotiations?

I mean I get it, if the contract somehow directly impacts the university but this is a football coach.

I have a general question. Why does an AD that is financially divided from the university in almost every way have to gain approval from the board of regents for contract negotiations?

I mean I get it, if the contract somehow directly impacts the university but this is a football coach.

Someone has to be accountable for how your tax dollars are spent.

Granted that that money here is not tax revenue but the umbrella organization is. The BOR is like a city council that's responsible for the direction, policy and budget of the organization. Benson is like a city manager who implements council's policy. RG would be like an assistant city manager responsible for a specific area. Sort of like Asst Ctiy Manager of the Denver Airport. Airports, like the AD, tend to be self sufficient revenue wise and get their funds from somewhere other than the local citizens tax dollars but are still operated and overseen by the city.

Last edited:
Someone has to be accountable for how your tax dollars are spent.

Granted that that money here is not tax revenue but the umbrella organization is. The BOR is like a city council that's responsible for the direction, policy and budget of the organization. Benson is like a city manager who implements council's policy. RG would be like an assistant city manager responsible for a specific area. Sort of like Asst Ctiy Manager of the Denver Airport. Airports, like the AD, tend to be self sufficient revenue wise and get their funds from somewhere other than the local citizens tax dollars but are still operated and overseen by the city.
So, who's Leslie Knope?

Anybody know how to confirm which district you are in? I appear to be right on the border of 3 & 4 with the crayon drawn images I have been able to pull up.
Your Regent district is the same as your US Congressional district.

I CC'd the entire board of regents on my email to Carson. Just got this one from Heidi.

Thanks S2S – I so appreciate you taking the time to send this. Your feedback matters.

Best, Heidi

Well, maybe, at the very least, they see the fan base is concerned. Will they give 2 ****s? Guess we'll find out soon.

I posted this to Adam over on Scout, but thought I'd ask it here as well...

At the end of the day, do you think the damage has already been done with Mac? I assume that his new contract, if signed, would include a fairly hefty buyout, so do you think it's at all possible that he feels slighted in this process enough to not sign an extension, even if approved, and jump at one of the other very lucrative offers he's sure to get in 2018 (assuming they win 7+ games)?

At the end of the day, do you think the damage has already been done with Mac? I assume that his new contract, if signed, would include a fairly hefty buyout, so do you think it's at all possible that he feels slighted in this process enough to not sign an extension, even if approved, and jump at one of the other very lucrative offers he's sure to get in 2018 (assuming they win 7+ games)?

Maybe. It would be hard to imagine that this delay on the approval of this bigger contract has done the relationship between HCMM and his employer any good.

Also factoring in to this discussion are:
- the facts that MacIntyre knows about this situation beyond what's been reported.
- what MacIntyre has been told by his boss, his chain of command, his agent, and his legal counsel

Maybe. It would be hard to imagine that this delay on the approval of this bigger contract has done the relationship between HCMM and his employer any good.

- the facts that MacIntyre knows about this situation beyond what's been reported.
- what MacIntyre has been told by his boss, his chain of command, his agent, and his legal counsel
Yeah, I'm sure there is plenty more going on that we don't know about, and I have to believe Mac has a very good idea of what's going to happen. It would just be a major kick in the nuts if the Regents approved the contract only for Mac to decide not to sign it. That scenario is highly unlikely, I would imagine, but if he's looking to get out of Boulder in the next year or two, there's no way he could sign that kind of contract that would include a hefty buyout.

My bet is that MacIntyre will remain in Boulder for 2-3 more seasons.

I believe his current contract extends through the end of the 2018 season. Another factor is that he has family attending CU. Being close to family can be priceless for a coach.

Even if there were no friction by the regents over the past year, I imagine MacIntyre and his agent have figured out that bigger money is out there for the taking.

His resume at SJSU and CU has cemented his value as a bona fide turnaround wizard. And there is no shortage of programs who would be happy to pay for his services.

I also wonder if this doesn't set a dumb, dangerous precedent going forward with the regents.

"Oh we just approved more useless football money for MacIntyre and now you're begging us for more for Chev, Wilson, Adams, and Lindgren?"

So much is unknown, including how this might impact RG -- which would likely impact MM's thinking.

If things work out the way we want and then the Regents step up by approving some long-term assistant contracts and pay raises, I think there's a good chance that at the end of the day this ends up being seen by RG and MM as a "tipping point" that re-affirmed CU's commitment to supporting football. Both took their jobs with full knowledge that there were battles to fight and improvements needed and this could be chalked up as another win that makes them very happy.

So much is unknown, including how this might impact RG -- which would likely impact MM's thinking.

If things work out the way we want and then the Regents step up by approving some long-term assistant contracts and pay raises, I think there's a good chance that at the end of the day this ends up being seen by RG and MM as a "tipping point" that re-affirmed CU's commitment to supporting football. Both took their jobs with full knowledge that there were battles to fight and improvements needed and this could be chalked up as another win that makes them very happy.

The discussion thus far has centered on worse case scenarios that involve disciplinary action and the need for process improvements.

You bring up a good point with regards to thinking about best case scenarios. What does success look like coming out of this investigation?

For me, success means an ability for the Regents, President Benson, and all the principles of the investigation to display consensus and solidarity on two issues. 1) Domestic violence is bad and we are pioneering best practices to address and respond. 2) Sustained excellence of the CU athletic department is not just a Rick George signature platform, but a broad commitment throughout senior university leadership which includes recognition that investments in athletics are ultimately in the best interest of CU.

I think he'll sign it regardless. I'm sure he wants his assistants to get paid and I doubt CU is going to want to sign new contracts for his assistants if Mac isn't locked down. Plus, I can't think of a time where a very good coach was stuck at a job because of his buyout - big time SEC or BIG programs aren't going to be scared away by his buyout.

I think he'll sign it regardless. I'm sure he wants his assistants to get paid and I doubt CU is going to want to sign new contracts for his assistants if Mac isn't locked down. Plus, I can't think of a time where a very good coach was stuck at a job because of his buyout - big time SEC or BIG programs aren't going to be scared away by his buyout.
Especially not when the coaches salary is bottom half of the pac-12 and barely top 40 nationally.

Yeah but CU can auto roll his contract every year like Boyle right? You say the SEC and Big-10 won't pay a buyout but if he keeps going to bowl games the buyout will be over $10 million and that would be the biggest buyout for a coach in college football right? I think McElwain was the original highest and that was $5 million.

Looks like a new development with a special meeting of the Regents on May 22nd (and the whispers are that MacIntyre's in good shape). Still, time to send an email.

Back