What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB choice?

What should be the call at QB?

• Total voters
What did you see to make you think that Shrout isn’t good?

I was very impressed with the way he played
To be fair he was thrown into awful situations, but there was enough at the end of the game to indicate that the pocket bailing and risky throws aren’t calculated risks. He strikes me as Drew Lock. Has the physical tools but has a ways to go to out it together mentally.

To be fair he was thrown into awful situations, but there was enough at the end of the game to indicate that the pocket bailing and risky throws aren’t calculated risks. He strikes me as Drew Lock. Has the physical tools but has a ways to go to out it together mentally.
He forced a pass with 8 seconds left in the half. Who cares?

Let’s face it our o-line is not good enough to have a pure pocket passer. He throws a damn good ball

LOL 0.0%

time house GIF

Last edited:
I wouldn’t waste a red shirt on McCown. But I’m not sure how the dynamics of today’s college football impacts these decisions. I mean, would he be more or less apt to transfer if we did or didn’t burn his RS?
Yes

Changing QBs doesnt fix this team. Keep in mind that TCU didnt have film of Shrout and didnt prep for him. His advantage will probably be short lived but maybe gives us one win somewhere

I assume kids want to play. We had how many starters even transfer? Play him (if JT struggles) and show him he is the future.
Yup, ruin another QB so the fans can "see what we have "

Unless he is absolutely ready to play keep McCown on the bench.

And no surprise he isn't ready.

Meh. There are ways to McCown playing time without "ruining" him. He can get meaningful snaps without starting and/or playing entire games.

Either play him some this year or STFU and stop leaking stuff about him being a savior.
No reason he can't play against AFA in the 4th when CU is down 28.

Yup, ruin another QB so the fans can "see what we have "

Unless he is absolutely ready to play keep McCown on the bench.

And no surprise he isn't ready.
They wont ruin him. He is a QB, from a family of QBs.
How do we know he is not ready? Because this staff says so? :ROFLMAO:

They wont ruin him. He is a QB, from a family of QBs.
How do we know he is not ready? Because this staff says so? :ROFLMAO:
Maybe he is ready, but the staff knows that if he goes out and plays it gets him in the transfer portal that much faster.

I voted for Shrout, but do wonder if McCown is as good as we have been hearing why not play him? We aren't risking losing games (that will happen no matter what) and sitting him just makes it more likely he will transfer. I know he's small so I guess you have the injury risk, but small quarterbacks have played before. I don't see the point of redshirting guys to make sure you have them as a 5th year senior with the transfer portal the way it is. Unless you have a strong team you have to play young guys early.
I think you're right. We need to see McCown at some point this year. I'd wait and do it at home though. Air Force should have a big crowd Saturday if for no other reason than we haven't been down there in 50 years in football. We're going to get run off the field in Minneapolis. Start Shrout the next two weeks, but make McCown his backup. If he plays poorly, go to McCown against UCLA. He can debut at home, which makes more sense with a kid like this.

Maybe he is ready, but the staff knows that if he goes out and plays it gets him in the transfer portal that much faster.
Maybe, but the QBs in the room know who the best is, if he feels he should be playing he will be gone anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Meh. There are ways to McCown playing time without "ruining" him. He can get meaningful snaps without starting and/or playing entire games.

Either play him some this year or STFU and stop leaking stuff about him being a savior.
I think you're right. With the current redshirt rules, they can get him on the field running the offense once games aren't in doubt. Everything that can be done to give him a good shot at winning the job in 2023 should be done.

I'd start JT Shrout and play Lewis if JT has to miss a play or series or whatever, then use McCown as the mop up duty guy.

After 13 games as the sample size for Lewis, there is no reasonable explanation not to give Shrout the opportunity to start.

What I will be watching for is to see how long does KD wait to put in Lewis. Pretty confident regardless who starts AF will pull away due to CU's inept offense. Wonder how many throws into traffic it takes for KD to pull Shrout and put Lewis back in.

RE: McCown, no need to send him out there this early. Send him out there at the end of the season after he has practiced this system for 1/2 a season which gives him a chance of success and still preserves his RS year.

it is a no-win situation for both qbs. in every sense, sadly.

shrout looks like (altho the body of evidence is still small) he will come out and take chances. lewis not so much.

if shrout comes out and throws 3 picks in the first half (which is not out of the realm of possibility) then what do they do?

old adage: if you have a qb competition, it means you don't have a starting qb.

Both are flawed players, each with their strengths, I could see using Lewis situationally with JT taking most of the snaps.
My issue with the situational usage of Lewis is that it would be for wildcat sets. He's really poor at reading & recognizing a defense in the run game - getting out of plays the defense is stacked to stop, reading the End to choose whether to hand off or pull it on zone read, recognizing blitzes to hit a receiver on a hot read. Since he can't do those things, I don't know what the situation is when I'd pull Shrout to put him in.

My issue with the situational usage of Lewis is that it would be for wildcat sets. He's really poor at reading & recognizing a defense in the run game - getting out of plays the defense is stacked to stop, reading the End to choose whether to hand off or pull it on zone read, recognizing blitzes to hit a receiver on a hot read. Since he can't do those things, I don't know what the situation is when I'd pull Shrout to put him in.

the kd playbook suggests that lewis will play if we get down by a bunch due perhaps to qb turnovers and the staff is trying to shorten the game and has given up on winning the game.

Back