What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Realistic Analysis of Class

The rule changed relatively recently.

My strong suspicion is that most CU football players are not on four year scholarships. Someone posted that we were at 95 guys. How is HCMT (or any new coach for that matter) going to make room if he has to honor all of those guarantees? Again I could be wrong.

I wonder how we are going to free up space?
All programs, every year have attrition. CFB is a grind and kids just decide they are done. Or they get injured. Or they decide they will get more PT elsewhere. Or they get homesick. Or they flunk out.... It's a bit tricky as you never know for sure.

If MT was a bit too aggressive he can encourage some kids to move on, but he could also greyshirt a player or two at the last minute. I'm sure a few recruits who signed were told it's a possibility.

All programs, every year have attrition. CFB is a grind and kids just decide they are done. Or they get injured. Or they decide they will get more PT elsewhere. Or they get homesick. Or they flunk out.... It's a bit tricky as you never know for sure.

If MT was a bit too aggressive he can encourage some kids to move on, but he could also greyshirt a player or two at the last minute. I'm sure a few recruits who signed were told it's a possibility.
Injury is probably the main reason that rule was passed. If a kid gets hurt and decides to stay at the school then he keeps his schollie.

Injury is probably the main reason that rule was passed. If a kid gets hurt and decides to stay at the school then he keeps his schollie.
There's always been the medical retirement rule, which allows a kid to essentially retire and get his scholarship for the duration, but not count against the 85 number.

The change above is more related to the NCAA losing some power to the athletes, due to anti-trust lawsuits (O'Bannon vs. NCAA, and others). The NCAA made several changes, including the grad-transfer rule, etc.

It is basically an unenforceable rule though and sounds tougher than it is. Teams still encourage many players to move on every year.
Scholarship agreements are legal contracts and are very enforceable in the courts. Telling a kid he isn’t gonna get playing time and encouraging him to move on is not the same thing as dropping a kid because he isn’t good enough.

It certainly is a better deal, especially with the turnover in the coaching ranks. Running guys off because they don’t fit the new system is immoral as long as players aren’t getting paid.

We now have multiple NCAA football programs that are the drivers behind $100 million plus per year athletic departments. We have coaches with contracts that pay over $5 million a year. We have donors who are contributing 10s and even 100s of millions of dollars per year to programs all based on winning games.

You can talk about immoral or illegal but considering what schools like Baylor, Nebraska, Miami, Michigan State, and on and on have done who here thinks that it would bother these coaches and teams to find a way to get rid of a few guys each year who aren't helping them win games when they could use that scholarship on a guy who might?

Major college football is big business for real money. They would have no problem finding a way to convince the kids they want gone to "Voluntarily" leave.

Grade for this class just went up. The addition of an experienced P5 left tackle (OSU grad transfer Arlington Hambright) is big.

I don't actually consider one year guys as part of the class.

He does though buy us time to work on finding legitimate replacements at the position and developing the guys we have.

I don't actually consider one year guys as part of the class.

He does though buy us time to work on finding legitimate replacements at the position and developing the guys we have.
Fair enough, he is a one year rental, but they found a dude that can play, not some JAG

Fair enough, he is a one year rental, but they found a dude that can play, not some JAG

Not arguing that at all, this is a huge pick-up for us. Potentially fills our most critical hole in the line-up with a guy who could end up in the draft.

In this case the Band-aid not only may save the patient but could truly help us heal better.

No complaints about this guy at all.

Grade for this class just went up. The addition of an experienced P5 left tackle (OSU grad transfer Arlington Hambright) is big.
The fact that we've added Auburn's TE and Okie Lite's LT for the transition year into Johnson's offense is season changing. Without those guys I don't know if we could have run the offense he wants to run.

Back