What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RG needs to move quickly.

Of course, I haven't even mentioned the obvious reason to hire Bielema. It seems CU could really benefit from a decent offensive line.
You actually highlighted a big reason I don’t want Bielema.

That mistake happens a lot. Bielema’s coaching acumen is actually geared more towards the defense. He had an awesome OL in Wisconsin because that’s the system they have in place. Seems like a major red flag that it’s easy to forget that Bielema made his early career as a DC and LB coach. Happens with Les Miles too lol.

You actually highlighted a big reason I don’t want Bielema.

That mistake happens a lot. Bielema’s coaching acumen is actually geared more towards the defense. He had an awesome OL in Wisconsin because that’s the system they have in place. Seems like a major red flag that it’s easy to forget that Bielema made his early career as a DC and LB coach. Happens with Les Miles too lol.
Yeah ok. I don't get why I'm having to defend the idea of hiring a guy with consistent and recent national success at a B1G school, but I bite: why is being a coach who cut his teeth on the defensive side of the ball a "red flag"?

Yeah ok. I don't get why I'm having to defend the idea of hiring a guy with consistent and recent national success at a B1G school, but I bite: why is being a coach who cut his teeth on the defensive side of the ball a "red flag"?
Bielema is an a-hole that burns bridges everywhere he goes. No thank you.

I think it’s a red flag that you think hiring him means we will have a great and renewed focus on OL just because he had one at Wisconsin. I’m not being snarky, I’ve seen that exact idea posted a lot but I think it should be pretty obvious what specialty a coach brings with him and it’s easy to forget that he’s not an OL coach, rather Wisconsin has an AD who has put an entire era of emphasis on the OL system. His OL was really bad the last year and a half at Arkansas and was a big reason his team sucked.

People have said the same thing about bringing Les Miles on to coach the defense because they had those nasty defenses while he coached at LSU even tho Les was an OC to start his career.

I think it’s a red flag that you think hiring him means we will have a great and renewed focus on OL just because he had one at Wisconsin. I’m not being snarky, I’ve seen that exact idea posted a lot but I think it should be pretty obvious what specialty a coach brings with him and it’s easy to forget that he’s not an OL coach, rather Wisconsin has an AD who has put an entire era of emphasis on the OL system. His OL was really bad the last year and a half at Arkansas and was a big reason his team sucked.

People have said the same thing about bringing Les Miles on to coach the defense because they had those nasty defenses while he coached at LSU even tho Les was an OC to start his career.
It can't be any worse than it is now.

Ask any Razorback fan who they blame for the downfall of that program. 9 out of 10 will tell you Petrino and his idiocy is to blame. Not Bielema. And yes, he coached Wisconsin to three Rose Bowls and a Sugar Bowl in seven years. But let's instead hire a G5 coach who "shows promise" because he won 7, 7, 8 and 10 games the past four years.
You are crazy. They love bp, hate his motorcycle skills

OK, I did not come here to create a misunderstanding or a unintended schism., jut relay the reality of what dana and WVU would cost and that there are options beyond him from a fiscal viewpoint. His salary, buyout and bonus contract and won - loss record is there for all to see if they wish. Can CU address that in full comfort? If I could connect all the numbers I would yet as a new member I cannot.

Despite the guesses by many I really want the best for CU and if its Dana with full cost in mind that would be fine though I feel others are a better cost/benefit that could leave money on the table for asst. coaches. recruiting, etc.. My intention all along is just to point out the options and real costs and best outcome to get CU as a contender again. best of luck.

Last edited:
I wonder if Bret Bielema wants to get back into the college coaching ranks. Any takers?

OK, I did not come here to create a misunderstanding or a unintended schism., jut relay the reality of what dana and WVU would cost and that there are options beyond him from a fiscal viewpoint. His salary, buyout and bonus contract and won - loss record is there for all to see if they wish. Can CU address that in full comfort? If I could connect all the numbers I would yet as a new member I cannot.

Despite the guesses by many I really want the best for CU and if its Dana with full cost in mind that would be fine though I feel others are a better cost/benefit that could leave money on the table for asst. coaches. recruiting, etc.. My intention all along is just to point out the options and real costs and best outcome to get CU as a contender again. best of luck.

tenor (8).gif

Regarding Dino Babers, this is not impressive to me. He did good at a G5 school*. Rebuilt a mid-level P5 team in arguably the second-****tiest division (not conference) in the country. Is CURRENTLY having one year of success at said school. Couldn't win big games on the schedule - Clemson, Notre Dame. Sounds a lot like someone we just dealt with. No thanks.
2016Syracuse4–82–6T–6th (Atlantic)
2017Syracuse4–82–67th (Atlantic)
2018Syracuse8–35–2(Atlantic)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

*Yes, I looked up that record too. Still doesn't impress me.

Yes- Holgo's record is easily searchable. He's 61-39 (.610 winning percentage) in an actual conference, whereas your boy Matt Wells is 44-33 (.571 winning percentage) in a dog-**** conference.

Regarding Dino Babers, this is not impressive to me. He did good at a G5 school*. Rebuilt a mid-level P5 team in arguably the second-****tiest division (not conference) in the country. Is CURRENTLY having one year of success at said school. Couldn't win big games on the schedule - Clemson, Notre Dame. Sounds a lot like someone we just dealt with. No thanks.
2016Syracuse4–82–6T–6th (Atlantic)
2017Syracuse4–82–67th (Atlantic)
2018Syracuse8–35–2(Atlantic)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Yes, I looked up that record too. Still doesn't impress me.
Criticizing someone for not beating Clemson and notre Dame seems a little rough. And Cuse is definitely not a mid level P5 program. If he wins 9 games at that school this year that is pretty impressive. Rebuild is complete and he needs to get back to where he is familiar.

Show up in jorts, riding a burning couch, and spit chew in your hand to slick back your mullet before saying “‘Ay,” to the receptionist. She’ll let you right into his office to deliver the Red Bull as a proud West Virginian.

1. jorts
2. burning couch
3. spit some chew into hand
4. slick back mullet
5. "AY"
6. Red Bull

5 are under control, and ready. Working on the 6th.... o_O

Off to Morgantown, Operation Holgor-Buff begins.

Yes- Holgo's record is easily searchable. He's 61-39 (.610 winning percentage) in an actual conference, whereas your boy Matt Wells is 44-33 (.571 winning percentage) in a dog-**** conference.
Also of note with Dana is that his first year (10 win season) was in the Big East. He then had to deal with the transition into the Big 12 and the much tougher conference schedule which also caused a crazy road schedule & recruiting remix since WVU became so isolated from its conference rivals. That became a very hard job.

I agree Nik with the difficulty to recruit. Growing up in Texas - no one heard of west virginia. I am sure with the technology of today it is a little easier, but west virginia is very low in a Texas football players desirable place to go.

Holgerson’s highest ranked class in the past five years was 35. Last year was 59.

WVUs pipeline is Florida. They don't really recruit well in border states either.

After UF, FSU, Miami... They get the scraps...

WVUs pipeline is Florida. They don't really recruit well in border states either.

After UF, FSU, Miami... They get the scraps...
iirc, other than competing with Pittsburgh & Penn State for the western PA kids the main WVU recruiting footprint area is Maryland in terms of border states. Annual rivalry games with Pitt and VA Tech along with an inter-conference rivalry game with Maryland is their ideal setup. I'd assume that the dream scenario for WVU would be for the ACC to go to 16 teams by taking them and Notre Dame.

You would gain a lot more rep on this board if you actually provided correct information. Coming on and arguing with bad facts is a quick way to get called out. Admit you were wrong and we can move on. Next time you post something, be damn sure you are bringing factual information.

Also of note with Dana is that his first year (10 win season) was in the Big East. He then had to deal with the transition into the Big 12 and the much tougher conference schedule which also caused a crazy road schedule & recruiting remix since WVU became so isolated from its conference rivals. That became a very hard job.
The travel and the recruiting footprint make that a very tough job in the Big XII. They can't sell Florida kids on playing back home, and they were pretty much a non-entity in Texas before the move. Plus the resurgence of OSU/Michigan/Penn State has made midwest recruiting pretty tough.

That said, this is the biggest counter-argument for Holgo in my opinion:
upload_2018-11-20_9-45-42.png

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

P
Ask any Razorback fan who they blame for the downfall of that program. 9 out of 10 will tell you Petrino and his idiocy is to blame. Not Bielema. And yes, he coached Wisconsin to three Rose Bowls and a Sugar Bowl in seven years. But let's instead hire a G5 coach who "shows promise" because he won 7, 7, 8 and 10 games the past four years.
Petrino and John L Smith.

Back