What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RG needs to move quickly.

Jim Leavit was offered the head coaching job at Alabama - that would qualify the statement that he is considered by those who would know to be a good coach-highly regarded at the P5 level. Out of loyalty, he turned the job down to stay at SFlorida...which was the disaster decision of his career.
Mike Shula and Dennis Franchione we’re also offered the HC job at Alabama.

Jim Leavit was offered the head coaching job at Alabama - that would qualify the statement that he is considered by those who would know to be a good coach-highly regarded at the P5 level. Out of loyalty, he turned the job down to stay at SFlorida...which was the disaster decision of his career.
So is the assertion here that he was offered the Alabama HC position, but he stayed at USF out of loyalty? To me, loyalty is not the most attractive quality in a HC- that's how you end up with 4 years of Toby Neinas, 5 of Jim Jeffcoat, and 6 of Gary Bernardi.

You like the defensive staff? Our secondary has been awful, they are getting no pressure on qb's anymore.
Well I didn’t know secondaries were supposed to pressure the QB. If you are lamenting the absence of the corner blitz, well I’d say that is on Elliot as a coordinator for not calling that.

JL leaving did not hurt my feelings. He took a lot more money, which is completely understandable. I give him plenty of credit for 2016. It is easily his best season he has had as a DC in the last four.

None of which really explains your tunnel vision for him. He is not the one and only choice for Colorado.

This is not a complete rebuild, so your insistence that the apocalypse is near if JL is not hired seems slightly melodramatic.

As for the incident at USF, while more serious than you let on in terms of his actions AFTER the incident, it has nothing to do with whether I think he is the right choice or not. It does not really concern me, but thanks for sharing your badass high school memories.

The only defeatist attitude is coming from your posts. CU is cheap, CU is not a desirable job, CU cannot recruit blue chips, CU must adopt a blue collar attitude, CU cannot afford a "rebuild," and more.

I hope you do not get a shiver down your spine when RG ignores your argument that JL was almost hired by Alabama a decade ago. Like I said, sit back and enjoy that Pepsi. The offers for JL should be rolling in at any time. You might even get to ditch the weak, small-time CU program in the process.

BTW, keep rolling with that narrative that I was a MM apologist. It is really helping your argument.
JL isn’t the only coach I could see, or even the greatest. I think he is the best fit for a quick turnaround. I want be in the top 20 all next year and go to a good bowl next year. I don’t want to wait three years for a rebuild. I am tired of waiting.

JL isn’t the only coach I could see, or even the greatest. I think he is the best fit for a quick turnaround. I want be in the top 20 all next year and go to a good bowl next year. I don’t want to wait three years for a rebuild. I am tired of waiting.
Why would you prefer Leavitt over Schiano? I compare the 2 and Schiano is just a bit stronger on all the things I like about Leavitt -- and he's a decade younger.

Take a very good look at the top ten teams this year, last year, year before. What did they all have in common?

I will tell you it is not schemes. We see a wide variety of different schemes on both sides of the ball. It isn't in game adjustments or halftime speeches or some magic drill used in practices. Coaching matters but in the end a lot of the top teams don't have "great" coaching.

What they have in common is talent, especially talent on the lines. Amazing how when a team can protect the passer a whole variety of different passing schemes work. Amazing how when a team can consistently create holes for the runner their running game works leading to effective drives.

On defense you see teams that run 3 man lines, 4 man lines, some that are very aggressive, others that play low risk schemes. Again if they have the horses up front consistently stopping the running game and pressuring the passer they win.

Point of all this is I want a coach who will place a priority on recruiting. CU has a lot to offer kids, let's find somebody who will bring in the talent we need to compete, especially on the line of scrimmage then we can worry about schemes and all the rest of the "coaching" factors.

Recruiting is a long term process. You don't get one top class and sit back and celebrate. Those top teams I mentioned above can look back and show how their winning teams are a compilation of contributors from multiple recruiting classes. They not only have talent on the field but they also have talent they are developing as depth. Their seasons don't fall apart when a couple key guys go down with injuries. They aren't scrambling when they lose guys to graduation, injury, early entry into the draft.

Our current staff, a couple of more recent additions excepted, never got that concept. I don't think JL emphasizes that concept either.

Give me a coach who is willing to go big and make recruiting the talent needed to win against the best teams in the PAC a priority instead of settling for guys we can "develop" which is code for they aren't good enough but maybe they will be.

I don’t understand the need to refer to this job as a “turnaround”. This isn’t a turnaround job anymore. It’s a “build on what has been done already” job. There are a lot of good pieces in place for the next guy.
I would still classify CU as a turn around job. Just a normal turn around job now. There are pieces in place, but you still have a sub .500 team. When MM was hired this was a dumpster fire in need of a complete rebuild, not a turn around.

I would still classify CU as a turn around job. Just a normal turn around job now. There are pieces in place, but you still have a sub .500 team. When MM was hired this was a dumpster fire in need of a complete rebuild, not a turn around.

Still have major talent deficiencies on the OL, lack depth on the DL, RB is a hot mess and not much at TE if that position is in the plans moving forward. Also need depth at safety and the CBs behind Abrams and Miller are still a question mark based on this season with those guys out.

We now have a team that looks like it belongs on the field against PAC12 teams but our talent level is not where it needs to be to complete for the division.

Add to that a leadership vacuum. This team needs to learn how to win and deal with adversity.

I would say that is a turn around job. Not as bad as the one that MacIntyre found when he got here which was a dumpster fire but this isn't a matter of a few tweaks and adding a couple of key players.

Give me a coach who is willing to go big and make recruiting the talent needed to win against the best teams in the PAC a priority instead of settling for guys we can "develop" which is code for they aren't good enough but maybe they will be.

I’m all for getting the best talent in here; obviously, we all are. But this is a “if wishes were horses, we all would ride” sort of deal. Everyone wants the monster DL. Everyone prioritizes the best OL out of H.S. Problem is, there aren’t enough to go around.

Of course, we need better recruiting, especially on the lines. I’m pretty sure that’s not a snap-your-fingers and this next hire will solve that problem immediately thing.

I think part of the problem may have been assessment of talent. No question MM had an eye for DB recruiting. We appear to have been mis-assessing a bunch of OL (along with taking injured players) and flat out not bringing in enough DL. But I am sure we got the best we could “get.” We weren’t turning away 4* Road-graters that I read about.

I absolutely agree the next coach needs to be a DL and OL whisperer, but that is not an overnight fix.

I’m all for getting the best talent in here; obviously, we all are. But this is a “if wishes were horses, we all would ride” sort of deal. Everyone wants the monster DL. Everyone prioritizes the best OL out of H.S. Problem is, there aren’t enough to go around.

Of course, we need better recruiting, especially on the lines. I’m pretty sure that’s not a snap-your-fingers and this next hire will solve that problem immediately thing.

I think part of the problem may have been assessment of talent. No question MM had an eye for DB recruiting. We appear to have been mis-assessing a bunch of OL (along with taking injured players) and flat out not bringing in enough DL. But I am sure we got the best we could “get.” We weren’t turning away 4* Road-graters that I read about.

I absolutely agree the next coach needs to be a DL and OL whisperer, but that is not an overnight fix.

As I stated recruiting is a long-term process. It is done over a number of years in football.

You are right that we didn't bring in enough DL players, especially HS players instead trying to apply a JUCO band-aid every year.

I don't buy for a second that we were getting "the best we could get" on the OL. We weren't even going seriously after quality 3* types. Instead we were taking multiple guys each year with zero other P5 offers. We were taking guys who needed to add at least 70lbs to reach minimum playing weight, we were taking guys who were easy and justifying it by expecting them to develop.

As I stated recruiting is a long-term process. It is done over a number of years in football.

You are right that we didn't bring in enough DL players, especially HS players instead trying to apply a JUCO band-aid every year.

I don't buy for a second that we were getting "the best we could get" on the OL. We weren't even going seriously after quality 3* types. Instead we were taking multiple guys each year with zero other P5 offers. We were taking guys who needed to add at least 70lbs to reach minimum playing weight, we were taking guys who were easy and justifying it by expecting them to develop.

Well you do find diamonds in the rough doing that-IIRC Mustafa Johnson had one other P5 offer-from Kansas.

I don’t understand the need to refer to this job as a “turnaround”. This isn’t a turnaround job anymore. It’s a “build on what has been done already” job. There are a lot of good pieces in place for the next guy.
Every time someone says this, I’m going to point out it’s why we don’t need Babers.

Back