What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RG needs to move quickly.

USC and Florida State are two great examples of teams that recruit almost to the level of Alabama but underperform like crazy.

I’ll give you that example.

Failure and producing the same results are two different items.

tOSU recruits at a similar level with not quite as good of coaching. Their results have not been at the same level. My suspicion is that an Alabama staff that recruits similarly with inferior coaching would be a consistent winner. They just may not be the best team in the nation every other season.

Also good points and I don’t disagree with that, Alabama’s coaches are definitely not bad at their jobs. Overall, my point was that great coaches are usually surrounded by great players, they go hand in hand.

If you put Nick Saban and his staff in Colorado, do they become Alabama? I just think coaches are too easily labeled as good or great. I could find a million examples of coaches that were the hot ticket and failed at their next jobs.

So are we expecting to start hearing things on Sunday/Monday in terms of actual interviewed candidates? At this point, all our “candidates” seem like pure speculation.

Devils advocate. Do they have great coaches or great players? Do the coaches make the player or do the players make the coach. I won’t belittle what someone like Saban has done but it’s not exactly been a struggle for him...
Look at how many coaches fail after people think they’re so great. It’s easy in college to stay on top when you always have the best players. People are quick to label coaches as ‘great’ when their teams win and kick them to the curb the next day. Sean McVay is the latest genius, flavor of the week.
Well obviously it’s both.

The issue really boils down to: it’s not like the NFL where the worst teams get first dibs on the best new talent in the draft. Players can choose to “go to school” at (i.e. play for) wherever they want, and everyone wants to play for the best teams, so success begets success.

The question for the rest of us is how to build that. We could do it at CU, Boulder is amazing (ain’t frickin Tuscaloosa), school is mid tier but pretty strong academically not Utah State or some ****, and we’ve been investing in athletics, beautiful stadium, players succeeding in the NFL, etc. Bring me a high profile coach (not some D2 winner with “potential”) that gets it done and I’ll show you bowls and championships in 2-5 years.

The issue really boils down to: it’s not like the NFL where the worst teams get first dibs on the best new talent in the draft. Players can choose to “go to school” at (i.e. play for) wherever they want, and everyone wants to play for the best teams, so success begets success.

The question for the rest of us is how to build that. We could do it at CU, Boulder is amazing (ain’t frickin Tuscaloosa), school is mid tier but not Utah State or some ****, and we’ve been investing in athletics. Bring me a high profile coach (not some D2 winner with “potential”) that gets it done and I’ll show you bowls and championships in 2-5 years.

So we need a solid hire who can coach but is better at recruiting. It always comes back to recruiting.

The question for the rest of us is how to build that. We could do it at CU, Boulder is amazing (ain’t frickin Tuscaloosa), school is mid tier but not Utah State or some ****, and we’ve been investing in athletics. Bring me a high profile coach (not some D2 winner with “potential”) that gets it done and I’ll show you bowls and championships in 2-5 years.
I believe there are a handful of coaches in college that could/would win at any P5 program. Bring Saban/Urban/Franklin/Harbaugh/Dabo/etc and their staff to Boulder and I think CU is a playoff team within 3 years.

Also good points and I don’t disagree with that, Alabama’s coaches are definitely not bad at their jobs. Overall, my point was that great coaches are usually surrounded by great players, they go hand in hand.

If you put Nick Saban and his staff in Colorado, do they become Alabama? I just think coaches are too easily labeled as good or great. I could find a million examples of coaches that were the hot ticket and failed at their next jobs.
Yes. In all seriousness...yes.

I’m not saying we’re going to get that level of talent, and I think we’re interpreting the original meaning differently. The “rule” I was referring to is if you have a bunch of stud Jimmys and Joes, you’re going to win the majority of your football games more often than not. I’m not saying CU’s only shot at being nationally relevant is getting top 5 talent and I’m also not saying that great coaching can’t take top 20-25 talent and make it a top 5-10 team.
Yeah I think overall most of us are on the same page. We need to be in or near top 20 annually in recruiting (with several 4/5 star commits that aren't warty) and a coaching staff that consistently develops players to their maximum ability and are dialed in on game day. Any misses and we are in the same spot we are

Not sure why, but it seems like HCMM was more effective when dealing with mid tier players . This team is more talented that the 2016 team with a few notable exceptions (Lindsay, Tupuo are main ones.). For me Abad year at CU, even with the same recruiting we have had, is 6-7 wins. I still believe that are reality is 8-10 wins, with a run every few years. Maybe I'm too pessimistic but I think the idea of CU being on the same level with USC (if/when they get a legit staff again) and other blue bloods if tough for me to believe.

Nick Saban’s success is largely about his compulsion to the best. This spills over to the entire plan he has to make Alabama the best.

If I would’ve won the mega millions and we hired Saban, I think Colorado would compete for CFP championships in 2-3 years.

Yeah I think overall most of us are on the same page. We need to be in or near top 20 annually in recruiting (with several 4/5 star commits that aren't warty) and a coaching staff that consistently develops players to their maximum ability and are dialed in on game day. Any misses and we are in the same spot we are

Not sure why, but it seems like HCMM was more effective when dealing with mid tier players . This team is more talented that the 2016 team with a few notable exceptions (Lindsay, Tupuo are main ones.). For me Abad year at CU, even with the same recruiting we have had, is 6-7 wins. I still believe that are reality is 8-10 wins, with a run every few years. Maybe I'm too pessimistic but I think the idea of CU being on the same level with USC (if/when they get a legit staff again) and other blue bloods if tough for me to believe.

I agree. There’s no reason every class we have doesn’t start with 5 or so of the top 7-8 guys in state. Losing these guys to other programs like Nebraska drives me nuts. Especially oline recruits

You are not entirely wrong, but classes in that 15-25 range at least give us a shot at the blue bloods. Current recruiting does not.

It’s inevitable that something will come out before Rick George holds a press conference to announce the hiring.
Would love it if there was, but after the firing got leaked, I think he will keep everything closed. If anything comes out, it will probably be coming from an agent

Would love it if there was, but after the firing got leaked, I think he will keep everything closed. If anything comes out, it will probably be coming from an agent
Right. I expect to hear more specific and legitimate rumors being leaked at some point. Although, it’d be kind of awesome if it was kept completely air tight until his presser where they do a reveal like a recruits hat ceremony.

You are not entirely wrong, but classes in that 15-25 range at least give us a shot at the blue bloods. Current recruiting does not.

Absolutely,

And beyond that our classes at certain positions have been pathetic. It would be a significant step up if we could even recruit consistently in the top 30 but if the guys bringing the class rankings up are all WRs, DBs, QBs, etc. it does nothing to address the ongoing issues on the line of scrimmage.

I honestly almost hope there aren’t any leaks until the ink is dry. I have a nagging feeling that RG is going to get a major candidate for Colorado, but sometimes early leaks can blow it up before it is completed.

Jim Leavitt is a dog**** recruiter. Dookie Maka was all he could get to commit to CU.
Jim Leavitt is a dog**** coach. Look at how poorly his D has done at Oregon with the superior athletes others have recruited there.
Jim Leavitt should change his name to Dog ****.
Jim Leavitt is a damn good coach who did a damn fine job at CU on top of a distinguished career in the profession.

I agree that his recruiting reputation is built completely on the pr spin he does on himself rather than any actual results, but I do believe that as a HC he'd be a charismatic and aggressive closer.

He's not the guy I'd want to hire, but there's no need to rip him down.

Nick Saban’s success is largely about his compulsion to the best. This spills over to the entire plan he has to make Alabama the best.

If I would’ve won the mega millions and we hired Saban, I think Colorado would compete for CFP championships in 2-3 years.

Let’s play devils advocate again than. If Saban came from Alabama, yes his recruiting would probably be the same.

Saban previous to Alabama, do we think he builds the dynasty here he has at Alabama? We don’t have the pipeline of talent in Colorado like Alabam has access to. We recruit from much further away.

Let’s play devils advocate again than. If Saban came from Alabama, yes his recruiting would probably be the same.

Saban previous to Alabama, do we think he builds the dynasty here he has at Alabama? We don’t have the pipeline of talent in Colorado like Alabam has access to. We recruit from much further away.

Alabama is in an awesome spot for players. Colorado can get the players. We just haven’t been dedicated to being national championship caliber for a long time.

Right. I expect to hear more specific and legitimate rumors being leaked at some point. Although, it’d be kind of awesome if it was kept completely air tight until his presser where they do a reveal like a recruits hat ceremony.
The Decision - Part II. Bring in a little extra money for the AD.

When we look at recruiting potential, I think comparing to Alabama is apples to oranges. I'd look closer to home within the conference at a university that's similar to CU. Can we make the commitment to supporting the program and hire a HC and staff that would take CU's recruiting to the level that Sark and Petersen have recruited at Washington? UW's a bit higher on academics and historical success, but in the same paragraph as the Buffs. They're also more geographically challenged than we are -- better in-state talent but without the same opportunities to recruit in Texas. They rebuilt their dumpster fire by getting Sark and hiring as many top recruiters as they could for the staff with a huge focus on getting assistants who were established recruiters within their footprint.

Washignton recruiting ranks (247)
2009 (before Sark's first season): #75
2010: #19
2011: #24
2012: #24
2013: #18
2014 (transition class with Petersen hired): #38
2015: #26
2016: #29
2017: #22
2018: #16
2019 (current rank): #17

We need to commit to a coaching staff that will recruit like Sark's staff did -- but with a HC who is a more capable program leader than Sark. That has to be the focus in this coaching hire.

When we look at recruiting potential, I think comparing to Alabama is apples to oranges. I'd look closer to home within the conference at a university that's similar to CU. Can we make the commitment to supporting the program and hire a HC and staff that would take CU's recruiting to the level that Sark and Petersen have recruited at Washington? UW's a bit higher on academics and historical success, but in the same paragraph as the Buffs. They're also more geographically challenged than we are -- better in-state talent but without the same opportunities to recruit in Texas. They rebuilt their dumpster fire by getting Sark and hiring as many top recruiters as they could for the staff with a huge focus on getting assistants who were established recruiters within their footprint.

Washignton recruiting ranks (247)
2009 (before Sark's first season): #75
2010: #19
2011: #24
2012: #24
2013: #18
2014 (transition class with Petersen hired): #38
2015: #26
2016: #29
2017: #22
2018: #16
2019 (current rank): #17

We need to commit to a coaching staff that will recruit like Sark's staff did -- but with a HC who is a more capable program leader than Sark. That has to be the focus in this coaching hire.

Agreed. For context, the original comment was that perennially top 10 teams all have great coaches. So the rebuttal was more concerned with if the recruits make the coach look good or if the coach makes the recruits look good. I’m more concerned with getting great recruiters right now because its obvious we’re lacking the playmakers right now. Mac wasn’t perfect but it’s not like he was failing with top 10 classes. If we can’t up our recruiting it won’t matter who we hire. We may squeeze out a win or 2 more a year but we’ll never win championships if we’re recruiting in the 35-50 range. We’ll be a 8-4 squad year after year.

Agreed. For context, the original comment was that perennially top 10 teams all have great coaches. So the rebuttal was more concerned with if the recruits make the coach look good or if the coach makes the recruits look good. I’m more concerned with getting great recruiters right now because its obvious we’re lacking the playmakers right now. Mac wasn’t perfect but it’s not like he was failing with top 10 classes. If we can’t up our recruiting it won’t matter who we hire. We may squeeze out a win or 2 more a year but we’ll never win championships if we’re recruiting in the 35-50 range. We’ll be a 8-4 squad year after year.
Completely agree with one small point of disagreement. At the recruiting range HCMM was in at Colorado, you can do a great job at evaluating so that you end up with some nice frontline talent sprinkled around the roster and capable starters everywhere. But it's about impossible at that level to have depth that's ready to play and to have playmakers in every position group every year. Where we seem to be is that we have to scheme to focus the game toward the individual battles we'll likely win (i.e., funneling the other team's plays toward Landman and our own toward Shenault) and hoping that the other team's coordinators don't figure out ways to exploit our holes.

Back