What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George named new Colorado AD

That worked out with Embree didn't it. I am cautiously optimistic about this hire, but that whole "being part of the glory days" b.s. doesn't make me feel any better after the past 2 seasons.

I don't know if you could say Embree was around for the glory days unless you are counting 2001.

I don't know if you could say Embree was around for the glory days unless you are counting 2001.

He was the foundation that led to our NC. He may not have played in it, but he was part of the rebuilding for that run. And 2001 counts I think.

That worked out with Embree didn't it. I am cautiously optimistic about this hire, but that whole "being part of the glory days" b.s. doesn't make me feel any better after the past 2 seasons.

But he has the resume. I think a great resume with some passion is better than a great resume with none. Hopefully he sees Boulder as a destination rather than a stopover.

He was the foundation that led to our NC. He may not have played in it, but he was part of the rebuilding for that run. And 2001 counts I think.

Now he can be a weird part of the foundation to led to our next NC. Kind of like how Josh McDaniels brought Manning to the Broncos. :lol:

Now he can be a weird part of the foundation to led to our next NC. Kind of like how Josh McDaniels brought Manning to the Broncos. :lol:

That would be ok with me haha. I am just nervous about giving Coach Mac a way back into the AD.

I, like many here, am happy with this hire. Knows Boulder, CU and the challenges we face; legitimate sports-business background; significant time in college athletics. I also speculate that you don't become Pres. of the Texas Rangers without being able to be "one of the guys", which I think will be essential in fundraising.

Welcome back to CU Rick. Now bring us back to glory!

Yes, as a player, not a coach.

Rick George has relevant experience from the glory days.

Interesting choice. I worry a little bit about crony-ism with this hire. CU keeps trying to go back to the past.

Does anyone know, is there going to be a livestream of the press conference?

Interesting choice. I worry a little bit about crony-ism with this hire. CU keeps trying to go back to the past.

Does anyone know, is there going to be a livestream of the press conference?

If it weren't for Rick's previous ties to CU, I doubt he (or someone else of his accomplishment) would have been interested in the job.

Chancellor Phil DiStefano said he wanted to find someone who will run the department more like a business and improve fundraising. The department is mired in debt mostly accumulated through three football coaching changes in seven seasons and the move from the Big 12 Conference to the Pac-12.

“I am delighted that Rick has accepted our offer to lead our athletic department,” said DiStefano. “Rick's financial and management acumen, his networking and relationship development skills, and his enthusiasm, work ethic and principled leadership all make him the ideal leader for CU athletics at this important and challenging moment in our history.”

George spent nearly five years at Colorado (1987-91) as director of football operations under former coach Bill McCartney.

“He's a dynamo,” McCartney told the Camera earlier this summer. “He's a star. He's got a spirit about him. He doesn't have a bad day.”

from ringo

He has a great resume for sure. I don't know anything about him personally... As big of a fan that I am of Nolan Ryan, I would have to think that getting his President is a great sign for CU. We could use some Texas sized revamping of our AD.

ALSO... Has anyone seen if George was connected to the MacIntyre's due to his days in Vanderbilt?

Last edited:
Back