What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a very good hire. He is exactly the personality I want as a HC. I was just noting that I think it will be very obvious very quickly if he will be successful at the college level. This will be dependent upon the transition of the staff he brings in NFL or college guys.

Maybe I am bitten once twice shy about bringing in NFL people to coach the college ranks. If I recall correctly we had a discussion years ago that the NFL guys moving on lacked as teachers and focused on scheming.

This is not the right time to be a new coach in the B1G with Harbaugh and Meyer going at it along with Mich State and some other schools.

Lovie is a big name but will that be enough to make up for the fact that he and a lot of his staff have not been recruiting in recent years. As we unfortunately found out here recruiting your way out of a hole isn't easy. He is going to have a hard time building momentum with the talent he has. A couple of weak classes could make it impossible.

This is not the right time to be a new coach in the B1G with Harbaugh and Meyer going at it along with Mich State and some other schools.

Lovie is a big name but will that be enough to make up for the fact that he and a lot of his staff have not been recruiting in recent years. As we unfortunately found out here recruiting your way out of a hole isn't easy. He is going to have a hard time building momentum with the talent he has. A couple of weak classes could make it impossible.
Except the facts that:
  • The three schools you referenced (Michigan, OSU, and Michigan State) are all in the B1G East, and Illinois is in the west
  • Harbaugh has yet to make it 4 years without moving on or wearing out his welcome at a school, and Urban Meyer's longest tenure is 6 years (he's going into his 5th at OSU)
I also bet that having been a HC in the NFL will at least get him into a few living rooms that Illinois otherwise wouldn't. Whether he closes those opportunities will be seen, but pretty hard to dislike that hire.

It's a good hire with some risk involved. No coaching hire is ever a sure thing, though. The risks are outweighed by the potential upside.

As far a this being big news .... the hiring of Lovie was just covered on CNBC as a news item. I don't remember ever seeing any other college football coach hiring being covered by CNBC.

Except the facts that:
  • The three schools you referenced (Michigan, OSU, and Michigan State) are all in the B1G East, and Illinois is in the west
  • Harbaugh has yet to make it 4 years without moving on or wearing out his welcome at a school, and Urban Meyer's longest tenure is 6 years (he's going into his 5th at OSU)
I also bet that having been a HC in the NFL will at least get him into a few living rooms that Illinois otherwise wouldn't. Whether he closes those opportunities will be seen, but pretty hard to dislike that hire.

I don't disagree that Lovie's name will get him in some living rooms. He may turn out to be a perfect hire but the Illinois job isn't going be easy. Those other schools will still be competitng for the better players that Illinois needs to become competitive. He may get in but it will be a hard sell.

Not having been in the recruiting game for a number of years is going to make it hard. He doesn't have the active contacts and he isn't used to dealing with the kids and with what other schools are selling. Don't doubt he can do it but it won't be a seamless transition. A lot of the kids for this upcoming years class have already started to narrow down their choices, some are already committed.

He's got an easier job than MM had when he got here. The difference between Illinois and the next best B1G team isn't nearly as big as the gulf MM had to deal with when he got here. He has better and more fruitful recruiting grounds within a short distance of his campus. His conference TV contract is better. He can succeed there.

As far a this being big news .... the hiring of Lovie was just covered on CNBC as a news item. I don't remember ever seeing any other college football coach hiring being covered by CNBC.
He's a democrat. UBL?

Back