What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown - News & Updates

Bobo is sandbagging the hell out of his team to the media.

I think there is a difference between sandbagging and subtly (or not so subtly) hinting that there will be growing pains with your youth and inexperience. MacIntyre did the latter with this team when he took over. He said similar things as Bobo is saying, if I take Shekler's interpretation the way it sounds.

He's sandbagging for sure. I think it will be a lot closer than we want, but if we lose it will be a complete disaster.

I am worried about our receivers. Maybe not necessarily in this game since DBs are supposed to be weak for CSU, but I am not sure we have a ton of talent that is ready to play. We lost Spruce and we've got Shay, but everyone else seems to be a question mark (all the rest could be better this year or the same). I also think our RBs are pretty underwhelming from a talent perspective, but hopefully better line play will mitigate that deficiency.

Bottom line, we are more experienced than last year, but are we more talented?

For me, it is whether the oline is competent, or if they are just and older, more experienced dumpster fire.

If they are competent, then I will be curious to see how Sefo performs. He should have plenty of open options against CSU, he just needs to show accuracy, which isn't his strong suit.

Heh. I think we control the game and the outcome is never really in doubt, but the offense has too many question marks to be effective in week one.
A fair opinion, for sure!

I think it goes the opposite route. I think we end up looking better than we really are. I don't like the idea of breaking in a 3-4, even if your strength is at LB, when your DL isn't able to accommodate it. I think our OL looks all-conference worthy because of this and we end up scoring and driving most of the game on them.

I still think we make a bowl game but that we will end up being frustrated with our offense at times during the year and wondering why we don't look like we did week 1.

Ah, ye of little Red Dye #10, dextrose, & water.
open

Actually it's Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, a few other ingredients, and the Red Dye is #40

Did we ever form a clear opinion on why our offense--which was reasonably effective in 2014--sputtered last year? It's been a long off-season and the prevailing narrative eludes me.

Did we ever form a clear opinion on why our offense--which was reasonably effective in 2014--sputtered last year? It's been a long off-season and the prevailing narrative eludes me.
We failed hard in the redzone.

I think we made it too complex, probably due to our faults. Most offenses use hilariously simple plays in the redzone. Wheel routes and fades are the most creativity lacking plays in a coaches playbook, but they both work when you have the right personnel. We didn't. I think Ento and Huntley will help here, even if they don't help anywhere else.

Most teams just pound the ball for TDs. We couldn't do that either. No excuse really, when we have Frazier and Keeney as redzone weapons, I'm not sure why we couldn't abuse teams. Not sure one person was to blame but this year better be better.

We failed hard in the redzone.

I think we made it too complex, probably due to our faults. Most offenses use hilariously simple plays in the redzone. Wheel routes and fades are the most creativity lacking plays in a coaches playbook, but they both work when you have the right personnel. We didn't. I think Ento and Huntley will help here, even if they don't help anywhere else.

Most teams just pound the ball for TDs. We couldn't do that either. No excuse really, when we have Frazier and Keeney as redzone weapons, I'm not sure why we couldn't abuse teams. Not sure one person was to blame but this year better be better.
Our pass protection sucked big time.

Red zone was huge, missed field goals hurt too. Qb with a messed up shoulder probably didn't help and the last two games without Sefo were complete disasters. Coordinators also probably learned some things from that 2014 season on lindgrens strategy.

A fair opinion, for sure!

I think it goes the opposite route. I think we end up looking better than we really are. I don't like the idea of breaking in a 3-4, even if your strength is at LB, when your DL isn't able to accommodate it. I think our OL looks all-conference worthy because of this and we end up scoring and driving most of the game on them.

I still think we make a bowl game but that we will end up being frustrated with our offense at times during the year and wondering why we don't look like we did week 1.

Yikes-

I just looked at that depth chart for them again. It's going to be awfully tough for them to hold the point of attack in a 3-4 when their starters go 260, 295, 275 across the front. We should run the ball all day long.

Genius long-term strategy of lulling the Pac-12 into a false sense of security before springing a juggernaut offense on them in 2016. We've got 'em right where we want 'em. Suckers!

Last edited:
Sefo's injury took away the effective quick slant and run option. Remember those quick hits to P rich that he accelerated up a seam. That and no back ever stepped up consistently. Whenever someone started to shine, they got nicked. At least that's my read on what went down.

Sefo's injury took away the effective quick slant and run option. Remember those quick hits to P rich that he accelerated up a seam. That and no back ever stepped up consistently. Whenever someone started to shine, they got nicked. At least that's my read on what went down.

Good points.

OL was the biggest issue to me. Sefos injury was not good, but when your ol can't pass block or run block, you can only hide it with smoke and mirrors so long

Sefo's injury took away the effective quick slant and run option. Remember those quick hits to P rich that he accelerated up a seam. That and no back ever stepped up consistently. Whenever someone started to shine, it was time to rotate another back into the game. At least that's my read on what went down.
FIFY

It will help if CU can generate long touchdown plays. I think this was a major issue last year. We seemed to drive the ball well at times, but never had that player/play that blew the top off, at least very rarely. If you can get 1-2 of those huge plays a game, I think it really helps with your red zone in the long run.

It will help if CU can generate long touchdown plays. I think this was a major issue last year. We seemed to drive the ball well at times, but never had that player/play that blew the top off, at least very rarely. If you can get 1-2 of those huge plays a game, I think it really helps with your red zone in the long run.
Nice use of "long run".

OL was the biggest issue to me. Sefos injury was not good, but when your ol can't pass block or run block, you can only hide it with smoke and mirrors so long
I agree, but I also think his injury forced them to hold him in the pocket and narrow the outside pass options that allowed opposing teams to target the pocket, amplifying our line issues. He seemed most effective two years ago with a rolling pocket where he could turn the corner if the quick reads weren't there.
I'm excited to see what they do this year. Allegedly we have more speed. That and potentially Mac Jr. as a possession guy. If they can catch and Sefo is the QB he was in his Freshmen and sophomore years, it could be really fun.

Sefo's shoulder injury seems like a convenient excuse.

Every level of the offense was poor last season, including Sefo himself.
Well he did go a couple weeks without throwing during practices right? That doesn't seem ideal when trying to fix an offense.

Poor coaching to put the fate of your offense in the hands of a guy who cannot throw.
Poor recruiting. After we lost two JC's this year, same place. So many things have to go right this year. But right now we're undefeated baby!

Back