What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sandusky update (more evidence against Joe P)

[video=youtube;iKMLToLLEqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMLToLLEqI[/video]

Yeah ... besides the downside of allowing several more kids to get violated.:rolling_eyes:

All these guys need to go to PMITA prison.

And they need to tear down that statue of JoPa.

If Pedo State was on our schedule, I would demand they be taken off ... until they come totally clean about this (if that's possible) ... and they acknowledge JoPa's role in the coverup. They should become the paraiahs of CFB until they do.

My God ... they make the Land Thieves and Crimson Rednecks look like innocent schoolboys by comparison.

And if Sandusky read that last sentence ... he'd have a raging hard-on right now.

Yeah ... besides the downside of allowing several more kids to get violated.:rolling_eyes:

All these guys need to go to PMITA prison.

And they need to tear down that statue of JoPa.

If Pedo State was on our schedule, I would demand they be taken off ... until they come totally clean about this (if that's possible) ... and they acknowledge JoPa's role in the coverup. They should become the paraiahs of CFB until they do.

My God ... they make the Land Thieves and Crimson Rednecks look like innocent schoolboys by comparison.

And if Sandusky read that last sentence ... he'd have a raging hard-on right now.

Yes with every word you said. This could have been stopped in 2001 and it kept on going. Hope the higher ups go to jail also.

K to you.

Totally agree - they should do serious time, forfeit pensions, et al.

Nice that these top-flite 'educators' didn't realize they were making a permanent record, by sending e-mails

Now that they have emails to back things up instead of having to rely on unsubstantiated allegations they'd have to make, I wonder if the "blame the dead guy" defense will be used by Penn State and the individuals facing charges in the cover-up.

Are they willing to completely throw their icon under the bus and destroy his legacy in order to try to avoid jail time and/or huge financial losses?

Now that they have emails to back things up instead of having to rely on unsubstantiated allegations they'd have to make, I wonder if the "blame the dead guy" defense will be used by Penn State and the individuals facing charges in the cover-up.

Are they willing to completely throw their icon under the bus and destroy his legacy in order to try to avoid jail time and/or huge financial losses?

Yep.

Throw him under the bus or not the prosecutors and the plaintiffs attorneys in the civil cases are looking at this and seeing that they just got passed the ball for a slam dunk on a 6 foot basket.
They already had the evidence to put this thing to rest, this turns it into a flood. I fully expect that even more is going to come out.

By the time this thing is over PSU isn't going to be able to afford a red ink cartridge to print out the negative balances in their accounts.

My hope is that the damage to PSU and the sentences given to the PSU administrators is so painful that no other school would ever consider doing something this heartless and stupid.

now this has to be lack of institutional control

Yes ... it is ... in the general common sense of things.

But under the NCAA defintion ... it's irrelevant unless it involves gaining a recruiting advantage or an illegal benefit to a student-athlete already in the program.

It's outside the NCAA's purview ...but well within both state and federal jurisdiction ... both criminal and civil. Not to mention the civil suits that individual victims can pursue.

In short ... I seriously doubt that PSU will have a significant football program five-ten years fom now ... unless there is a thorough cleansing of adminstration and a collective mea culpa by the university in general.

And a total expunging of the JoPa myth of "he's what's right about college athletics."

**** him.

Yet they still are pulling a far superior recruiting class ranked at #13 on rivals.... hmmmmmm

Very interesting article. But as one who has worked in the past with (actually, more against) the NCAA ... I doubt they would take this on at all ... and certainly not until the conclusion of all the criminal and maybe even the civil actions that will result from this.

What I'd really like to see outside of court action is the B1G (whatever they call themselves these days ... I call them the Conference that Can't Count) take action and invoke some contract clause (which I think must exist) that all institutional members must conduct themselves with the utomost integrity blah blah blah ... it seems that would give the CONFERENCE grounds to put them on a "death penalty" type of two to three year suspension of their football program at least.

But that may just be wishful thinking. :huh:

Very interesting article. But as one who has worked in the past with (actually, more against) the NCAA ... I doubt they would take this on at all ... and certainly not until the conclusion of all the criminal and maybe even the civil actions that will result from this.

What I'd really like to see outside of court action is the B1G (whatever they call themselves these days ... I call them the Conference that Can't Count) take action and invoke some contract clause (which I think must exist) that all institutional members must conduct themselves with the utomost integrity blah blah blah ... it seems that would give the CONFERENCE grounds to put them on a "death penalty" type of two to three year suspension of their football program at least.

But that may just be wishful thinking. :huh:

I disagree with the group of people you want to punish. For the record, I despise Penn State. My family has Pitt grads in it.

I know when CU was being investigated, I wanted all involved to be punished. I did not want the program to be punished for the acts of a certain group. I see a similarity here that the admins , coaches, and boosters involved with covering this up should be punished accordingly. Not anyone else.

Sounds like the next week or so could be a firestorm.

A consulting firm's report offering new information about how Joe Paterno and Penn State senior officials responded to an allegation that Jerry Sandusky had sexually abused a boy inside the football team's showers could be made public as early as next week, several sources said Friday, and is expected to be tough on Paterno.

The report is expected to shed new light on administrators' handling of the Sandusky allegations, and also raise questions about Paterno's leadership of Penn State's vaunted football program, according to several people with knowledge of the inquiry's scope.

[h=4]More From ESPN The Magazine[/h] The scandal at Penn State was not just confined to the school, writes Don Van Natta Jr. of ESPN The Magazine. Story

"Much of the focus will be on the culture of the football program, with findings that go back more than a decade," said a Penn State official briefed on the inquiry, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "It's going to be very tough on Joe (Paterno)."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...cted-very-tough-joe-paterno-according-sources

Of course it's going to be tough on Joe Paterno. He's dead. He can't defend himself, and he makes a fantastic scapegoat. Is anybody actually surprised at this turn of events?

Of course it's going to be tough on Joe Paterno. He's dead. He can't defend himself, and he makes a fantastic scapegoat. Is anybody actually surprised at this turn of events?

No, because he was apparently guilty of not doing enough. That's not just being a scapegoat - it's deserved.

From outside appearances Paterno was very concerned about his legacy, how he would be thought of when he was gone. He was also willing to put the PSU football program ahead of of anything and everything else including the lives of the kids who were the victims. With what is coming out now we know that he had the opportunity to put a stop to it more than once and didn't. As a result kids suffered.

He is not around to defend himself but based on his decisions he is fair game. It is just that his legacy not only be tarnished but be shattered by this.

Now what has to be protected against is the placing of all blame on Paterno and letting Curley, Schultz, and Spanier and the rest of the administration who made Paterno king off the hook. This was a failure of individuals and also an institutional failure. A bunch of these guys need to twist in the wind of public scrutiny and the school itself needs to be hit hard to serve as a lesson for the future.

I think you guys are missing the point here. It will be very convenient for the PSU administration to place a disproportionate amount of the blame for all of this on Paterno. Doing so will deflect the blame from them and the University itself. If they can successfully pin the majority of this on Paterno, then the University will not be dragged through the mud. With him being dead, there's nobody to say that they're wrong, either.

I think you guys are missing the point here. It will be very convenient for the PSU administration to place a disproportionate amount of the blame for all of this on Paterno. Doing so will deflect the blame from them and the University itself. If they can successfully pin the majority of this on Paterno, then the University will not be dragged through the mud. With him being dead, there's nobody to say that they're wrong, either.

I think we are actually in agreement. They will try to push the blame on Paterno and move the attention from themselves. I also don't think it will work. The plaintifs lawyers in the civil suits are interested in way more money than the Paterno estate has to give up. As much as PSU would like it to this isn't going to go away for them. It is also ugly enough and sensational enough that the media isn't going to let it go either.

While Sandusky needed to be convicted to protect future victims and to bring some measure of justice to his actual victims, I am going to take deep satisfaction watching Curley and Schulz get put away for a long time after failing to act from their lofty positions in the ivory tower.

The civil suits that these families bring against PSU and all of the people involved with do enough damage. By the same token of convenience, they won't go after Paterno because he's dead. Those families want (and deserve) their pound of flesh.

Sounds to me like they will have no choice in the matter.

The long-awaited report, compiled by Freeh Group International Solutions, the consulting firm led by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh, is the culmination of an eight-month investigation that examined whether university policies and culture were contributing factors to a lack of reports and action about abuse that occurred on campus. Investigators interviewed more than 400 people, including Penn State administrators, faculty members, trustees and former coaches, players and staff from Penn State's football team.

Initially, the Freeh Group had intended to allow Penn State's trustees to review a draft copy of its report before releasing it to the public. After the Faculty Council and others at Penn State criticized that plan last winter, the Freeh Group decided to release its final report, without review or prior input by the trustees, directly to the board and the public at the same time, several sources said. "They did not want people to think the board had influenced the process," a source said.

The civil suits that these families bring against PSU and all of the people involved with do enough damage. By the same token of convenience, they won't go after Paterno because he's dead. Those families want (and deserve) their pound of flesh.

I agree - BUT - if the University can establish that Paterno was where the buck stopped, they can limit their liability in those kinds of suits. I'd be surprised if this is not their goal, here. Push as much of this on Paterno as possible, so that future legal actions can be deflected.

I agree - BUT - if the University can establish that Paterno was where the buck stopped, they can limit their liability in those kinds of suits. I'd be surprised if this is not their goal, here. Push as much of this on Paterno as possible, so that future legal actions can be deflected.

I'm sure that's part of their thinking. Can you imagine the fiscal liability in this case? Not just directly from the suits but the damage to the universities reputation, enrollment, grants, gifts, etc. I wonder if anybody ever tried to add up what the "scandal" cost CU.

This is their only potential strategy, but it isn't going to work. All the lawyers have to do is establish a chain of command, that Paterno should have had to answer to these individuals and they failed to excercise the control that the chain of command implied. The evidence that they were informed of what was happening and didn't take steps to act finishes them off. The evidence that Sandusky took kids across state lines going to PSU bowl games after they had reason to believe that he was commiting crimes against children takes the cases into federal court and eliminates the liability limits imposed under Pennsylvania state law.

The legal team for the university is going to scramble for every potential means of limiting their exposure in this case but they are fighting a battle that is already lost.

We have already seen the primary steps by the university to offer settlements out of court in an attempt to limit their exposure, attempts that have been soundly rejected by counsel for the victims. I wonder how long it is until PSU goes into the next step which is to make a highly visible cleaning of house of all involved, then going into the mode of "Yes we are guilty but we have cleaned up our house and everyone who was at fault is gone, we are very sorry it ever happened, please take this all into account and don't destroy our new future."

In other words, the giant legal attempt at We're sorry, please forgive us and let it slide if we promise it will never happen again. I don't think this will work for them either but it may reduce by some measure the jury awards to the victims, all PSU can hope for at this point.

If/when they do this a gutting of the football program may be a part of the process to show how badly they are sorry and want to change. This will be a shock to the fans but if they don't do it may happen anyways with huge awards to the victims having to come from someplace. We may be looking at awards that would would make any college program cringe, well past the total revenue of the athletic program for multiple years.

Last edited:
I bet the thing settles out of court. PSU knows they're screwed. They settle for close to the full amount so these this goes away without more damaging info coming out.

This reminds me of the BP refinery explosion lawsuit from 2004. When the victims' lawyer starter asking for the email records of high ranking people, BP caved and settle for a the close to the full amount.

Back