What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sean mother****ing Lewis

Something I've been thinking about... It feels like CP brought in Sean Lewis as OC and kind of forced him to run a different offense, one that's much closer to what SS ran at JSU than anything actually resembling what Lewis ran at Kent State. If you go back and watch this video that's been posted here a number of times and compare it to what we see from CU, there are just glaring differences, and it starts with the fact that the entire offense is predicated on the QB run. The run game is read option or triple option out of Shotgun and the passing game is mostly built off that with RPOs.

Frankly, the offense is a college only offense and isn't going to help a QB translate to the NFL in any way (read into this what you may). Also, Shedeur is an elite passer and not a read option QB, so I'm not advocating for them to force SS to run the Sean Lewis offense, but I'm mostly wondering why Sean Lewis was CP's pick for OC in the first place? I think Lewis wanted out of Kent State, he came highly recommended from people that CP trusts, and they both convinced each other that they could marry the SL offense and Air Raid concepts together into an offense that Shedeur can run and that's attractive for the NFL. IMO, he needed to go find a proven Air Raid guy, who could build off what SS was already doing at JSU and take it to the next level.

End of the day, personnel on the OL may be their biggest issue, but I just don't think what Sean Lewis knows and wants to do is what Shedeur wants to do (for good reason, IMO) or can execute, and they've been trying to adjust on the fly. It might be prudent for both Lewis and CP to agree to part ways and for CP to bring in a guy who can design an offense, including a run game, around a pocket passer.

It could be simply that SS isn't very good running rpos so SL changed his own scheme to try to better fit SS's strengths, but it just ain't working with the oline.

But I do agree that the scheme at Kent state was quite a bit different than what we are seeing. And you maybe right also.

This is a huge point. Through the first three games, we finished a play, got back to the LOS and ran another in about 10-15 seconds. We are doing none of that anymore. We get back to the LOS, but the play clock is usually down below 10 seconds when we snap the ball the last few games. Very weird.
That's cause it takes 12-15 seconds for Shedeur to pick himself up off the ground, find his helmet, figure out which way the team is going and run 20 yards back to the line of scrimmage.

O'Neil is definitely dual threat and exactly what Lewis is looking for.
Which is interesting again. O’Neil seems like a Lewis guy, while Hill seems like Prime got him. There are differences in offensive direction it seems like. (I’m driving and texting dammit!)

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

I actually still think he is a great offensive mind.... but he hasn't been able to adjust his style to the realities of our roster and results. I'm pretty sure he gets hired quickly after this and does just fine
I still love him and his system. But it's a fit for a program that's trying to punch above its weight - like if he were to go back to run tings for Dino at Syracuse.

It seems as though its pretty hard to judge Lewis with the current personnel. We dont have the Jimmys and the Joes on the OL to run anyones offense. This is a rebuilding year.

I think it’s a little bit of column A and a little of column B. Player quality needs an upgrade. That comes from competition and improved coaching (thus scheme).
Better coaching helps, but I don’t think heavy sets, chip blocking, moving the pocket, play-action or any other formation at this time will prevent 4 DL from running through 5 OL.

The staff needs to try all the tricks this year, but next season needs a total personnel change - Players and Coach.

Better coaching helps, but I don’t think heavy sets, chip blocking, moving the pocket, play-action or any other formation at this time will prevent 4 DL from running through 5 OL.

The staff needs to try all the tricks this year, but next season needs a total personnel change - Players and Coach.
Again, a little column A and a little Column B RE: scheme. It’s not just blocking scheme. It is the overall offensive scheme.

Wholesale change? Meh. Weak links will be weeded out, but it’s not the entire staff nor is it the entire roster.

Back