What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sean mother****ing Lewis

Let's not overthink this. The OLine is sh!t because the coaching they're getting is sh!t. When your OLine is sh!t, it limits what you can do immensely. We should at least be maintaining a level of mediocrity at this point. Instead, we get drastically worse each week. That's coaching. That's a DC throwing better players and different looks/stunts at us and us not being able to coach up our players to at least somewhat execute against it.

I know you coach, so you've been in film sessions and coaches meetings. I guarantee CP is not happy which means Sean Lewis is not happy. And if Lewis isn't absolutely tearing into O'Boyle this week and/or taking over some of the Line coaching this week to get done what he needs to get done, then he's a poor coach himself.
I don't think I'm overthinking anything. We all got excited because we thought we were getting the Kent State offense, and it's clear and obvious we aren't running that in the slightest. The OL is awful and the OL coaching isn't good, either, but those are micro problems within a true macro issue, IMO.

Our desires and CP/SS desires aren't necessarily aligned, IMO
Shedeur’s biggest numbers have been in games where we had a minimally credible threat to run the ball. I think that will be something they’ll address this offseason. We won’t be a heavy dose run team but we will likely get more balance, especially when our analysts and others start the interview process in the offseason.

Leftwich as OC would not be good for our desire for a balanced offense…
My biggest concern is that I don't have much to go on with Leftwich developing a QB for his system. He did a fantastic job of working with Tom Brady, crafting a system for Tom, and collaborating with him to make him comfortable & happy with game plans & play calls. But working with an elite vet NFL QB is a completely different animal from designing a college offense and getting college QBs ready to perform in it with very limited practice & meetings hours.

My biggest concern is that I don't have much to go on with Leftwich developing a QB for his system. He did a fantastic job of working with Tom Brady, crafting a system for Tom, and collaborating with him to make him comfortable & happy with game plans & play calls. But working with an elite vet NFL QB is a completely different animal from designing a college offense and getting college QBs ready to perform in it with very limited practice & meetings hours.
Even when he was OC in PHX, Leftwich offenses were pass heavy and run light.

My unimportant opinion is that part of the running game not working is that SS doesn't do any sort of play fakes at all. He hands the ball off and watches. Even in the 1980's, the QB would always run out the play fake, if nothing else to give the D something to think about. SS is not a running threat and thus the D doesn't even have to account for him in the run, or account for a play action pass.

My unimportant opinion is that part of the running game not working is that SS doesn't do any sort of play fakes at all. He hands the ball off and watches. Even in the 1980's, the QB would always run out the play fake, if nothing else to give the D something to think about. SS is not a running threat and thus the D doesn't even have to account for him in the run, or account for a play action pass.
Nobody on any defense at any level is watching the QB carry out fakes anymore. Defensive players read their keys and react accordingly. A fake roll out after a handoff is not fooling anybody.

Nobody on any defense at any level is watching the QB carry out fakes anymore. Defensive players read their keys and react accordingly. A fake roll out after a handoff is not fooling anybody.
Which is true for a traditional pro set under center, but the zone read run game relies on taking a defender away with the QB run game. Our run game concepts are pure zone read type action, but without the threat of any actual read, thus we are always outmanned at the point of attack.

Something I've been thinking about... It feels like CP brought in Sean Lewis as OC and kind of forced him to run a different offense, one that's much closer to what SS ran at JSU than anything actually resembling what Lewis ran at Kent State. If you go back and watch this video that's been posted here a number of times and compare it to what we see from CU, there are just glaring differences, and it starts with the fact that the entire offense is predicated on the QB run. The run game is read option or triple option out of Shotgun and the passing game is mostly built off that with RPOs.

Frankly, the offense is a college only offense and isn't going to help a QB translate to the NFL in any way (read into this what you may). Also, Shedeur is an elite passer and not a read option QB, so I'm not advocating for them to force SS to run the Sean Lewis offense, but I'm mostly wondering why Sean Lewis was CP's pick for OC in the first place? I think Lewis wanted out of Kent State, he came highly recommended from people that CP trusts, and they both convinced each other that they could marry the SL offense and Air Raid concepts together into an offense that Shedeur can run and that's attractive for the NFL. IMO, he needed to go find a proven Air Raid guy, who could build off what SS was already doing at JSU and take it to the next level.

End of the day, personnel on the OL may be their biggest issue, but I just don't think what Sean Lewis knows and wants to do is what Shedeur wants to do (for good reason, IMO) or can execute, and they've been trying to adjust on the fly. It might be prudent for both Lewis and CP to agree to part ways and for CP to bring in a guy who can design an offense, including a run game, around a pocket passer.

Completely agree with this. Lewis should have known what he was getting in Shedeur though when he came over, somy read is that he more willingly took on the challenge rather than CP "forcing" his hand. I think Lewis is doing what any good coach does and is tailoring his scheme to fit the players he has... unfortunately, it just isn't working as well as it could be. Maybe the collective can help out with the trenches and a full year with Shedeur can clean things up going into next year, but that a couple of big 'maybes' that people are hoping to pan out. Also, it doesn't look like Hill or O'Neil are really Lewis' preferred dual threat type QB either.

Which is true for a traditional pro set under center, but the zone read run game relies on taking a defender away with the QB run game. Our run game concepts are pure zone read type action, but without the threat of any actual read, thus we are always outmanned at the point of attack.
Agreed. We are not a Zone Read offense. We may call ourselves that, but we're not. SS 2 could run around in circles, pump fake and dance a jig back their after the read, but everyone knows he's not pulling it not is he going to roll out and put the defense in conflict. It's either give or drop back which is why I don't even know why we pretend.

You see this sh!t so much from teams where they're running a 2-minute offense and they continue to PA fake. What the hell? No one believes you're handing that off so why even waste those valuable seconds carrying it out?

Completely agree with this. Lewis should have known what he was getting in Shedeur though when he came over, somy read is that he more willingly took on the challenge rather than CP "forcing" his hand. I think Lewis is doing what any good coach does and is tailoring his scheme to fit the players he has... unfortunately, it just isn't working as well as it could be. Maybe the collective can help out with the trenches and a full year with Shedeur can clean things up going into next year, but that a couple of big 'maybes' that people are hoping to pan out. Also, it doesn't look like Hill or O'Neil are really Lewis' preferred dual threat type QB either.
O'Neil is definitely dual threat and exactly what Lewis is looking for.

It's going to be VERY INTERESTING to see what the offense does if Shedeur doesn't pull off the miracle of staying health all year behind this OL.

Agreed. We are not a Zone Read offense. We may call ourselves that, but we're not. SS 2 could run around in circles, pump fake and dance a jig back their after the read, but everyone knows he's not pulling it not is he going to roll out and put the defense in conflict. It's either give or drop back which is why I don't even know why we pretend.

You see this sh!t so much from teams where they're running a 2-minute offense and they continue to PA fake. What the hell? No one believes you're handing that off so why even waste those valuable seconds carrying it out?
Sometimes the PA is a timing thing even though it's a worthless fake situationally. There's some value on route timing and without that PA beat the QB would be looking at his first option too early. At least it's supposed to be that well designed, but college offenses & QBs aren't always that perfectly synchronized.

It's going to be VERY INTERESTING to see what the offense does if Shedeur doesn't pull off the miracle of staying health all year behind this OL.
Honestly they should start doing designed QB running plays regularly.

1. Will open up more running offense.
2. Shedeur is a solid runner.
3. This will actually be safer for Shedeur than being destroyed in the backfield.

Honestly they should start doing designed QB running plays regularly.

1. Will open up more running offense.
2. Shedeur is a solid runner.
3. This will actually be safer for Shedeur than being destroyed in the backfield.
2 is a solid runner but sometimes he looks bad as a RPO guy. I honestly don't believe it works for him but that's just me

They are. Most is zone read with traditional run blocking, not RPO (though there is a bit of that I've seen).
Zone read is fine. I am talking RPOs. Basically QBs faking the ball to running backs and deciding to keep or it, run it, or pass it depending on how the defense is reacting to the play

I am talking run pass option and the reads expected from a QB who excel in that scheme like Colin Schlee at Kent State now at UCLA
K. Just was confusing mixing his description as a runner with a RPO discussion

I've seen very little RPO from this offense, which is a staple of, if not everything the Kent State passing game is predicated on. I've seen a bit more zone read/read option but you can tell it's unnatural for Shedeur and not something he wants to be running.

I've seen very little RPO from this offense, which is a staple of, if not everything the Kent State passing game is predicated on. I've seen a bit more zone read/read option but you can tell it's unnatural for Shedeur and not something he wants to be running.
They’ve only run RPO <20 plays. Despite his reticence, it has produced some of the year’s best runs.

Zone read is fine. I am talking RPOs. Basically QBs faking the ball to running backs and deciding to keep or it, run it, or pass it depending on how the defense is reacting to the play
That's becoming a thing in the NFL now, mostly stemming from Philly's success. If Shedeur can figure it out, it would significantly enhance his draft value and not limit the teams interested in him.

Something very weird is going on with the offense. It's not playing at pace. And Lewis runs the ball over half the time on average prior to CU.
This is a huge point. Through the first three games, we finished a play, got back to the LOS and ran another in about 10-15 seconds. We are doing none of that anymore. We get back to the LOS, but the play clock is usually down below 10 seconds when we snap the ball the last few games. Very weird.

This is a huge point. Through the first three games, we finished a play, got back to the LOS and ran another in about 10-15 seconds. We are doing none of that anymore. We get back to the LOS, but the play clock is usually down below 10 seconds when we snap the ball the last few games. Very weird.

That works when you're getting multiple first downs on a possession. Not so much when your QB is getting crushed and you're going 3 and out. You have to give your defense some sort of break.

Feels like they either felt they needed to slow things down to ensure communication between OL and QB were good or they decided that no huddle fast paced offense was doing the defense a disservice. The latter feels most likely.

Back