What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sean mother****ing Lewis

As to RB rotation, I get that McCaskill is being brought back slowly, but why isn’t Smoke getting more PT? Saw him once yesterday. I like Hankerson’s energy but it’d be nice to spell him now and then even though Smoke only has this year to play. And the Edwards “inside” idea needs to stop ASAP. Confused about Sean’s RB PT choices.

1) conditioning.
2) players aren’t as good as other team, but our coaches are legit.
And on #2, as the better team gets more gassed during the game, the less talented but better conditioned team will appear to play better.

It's possible where we see our poor starts as a reflection on not being well prepared for the game, it maybe just what to expect this year because of better conditioning.

And on #2, as the better team gets more gassed during the game, the less talented but better conditioned team will appear to play better.

It's possible where we see our poor starts as a reflection on not being well prepared for the game, it maybe just what to expect this year because of better conditioning.
I think conditioning is helpful but still amounts to losses without superior coaching.

I think conditioning is helpful but still amounts to losses without superior coaching.
Being better conditioned is a product of coaching and possibly a small part due to training at elevation.

We are all looking at why we start the games 'slow' and I'm thinking that our poor starts are simply a product of being outplayed on the line of scrimmage early in the game when the opposing team is fresh, but as the game goes on our better conditioning wins us games because we can finish strong.

Ie, we are not a slow starting team, we are a strong finishing team due to better conditioning. That is something that can be built on for next year if we can get some better players in the box that will also be better conditioned.

Well. Last nite was pretty bad for the offense, specifically on the line.

The scheme I saw last nite basically equated to...have Sanders snap the ball from shotgun, either get the ball out in 1 second, or run for your life to try to get 3 seconds.

Its apparent that lewis scrapped some of the core principles of the scheme he was running at Kent state, either because our offensive line is not capable of those principles, or the staff feels they are better off abandoning those principles.

Considering their limited success, I would think it has to be the former unless this is on prime for some reason.

Well. Last nite was pretty bad for the offense, specifically on the line.

The scheme I saw last nite basically equated to...have Sanders snap the ball from shotgun, either get the ball out in 1 second, or run for your life to try to get 3 seconds.

Its apparent that lewis scrapped some of the core principles of the scheme he was running at Kent state, either because our offensive line is not capable of those principles, or the staff feels they are better off abandoning those principles.

Considering their limited success, I would think it has to be the former unless this is on prime for some reason.
Our interior OL, at least, seem incapable of moving anyone. You simply cannot run the ball if the OL can’t put—even—a hat on a hat successfully. So many plays our OL end up just standing around watching players who have already run by/around them. UCLA DL is mostly speedy EDGE rushers, even the interior, it seems. We all watched them out quick every OL no matter the down and distance, over and over.

I think it was obvious almost immediately that we could not sustain any block long enough to call running plays. UCLA got interior penetration almost immediately, every play. There’s just no way to call running plays that way. We’d call a run and go backwards. At which point, everyone on D just creeps forward more and more, making things worse and worse each quarter.

Saying we should “commit to the run” means essentially just planning on giving up series after series to three and out, in hopes that we get some rhythm to run. That doesn’t work when you don’t get first downs and just keep punting. All while you have a great QB, who will be standing watching RBs get pushed back into his lap, not be given any chance to help the team.

Our interior OL, at least, seem incapable of moving anyone. You simply cannot run the ball if the OL can’t put—even—a hat on a hat successfully. So many plays our OL end up just standing around watching players who have already run by/around them. UCLA DL is mostly speedy EDGE rushers, even the interior, it seems. We all watched them out quick every OL no matter the down and distance, over and over.

I think it was obvious almost immediately that we could not sustain any block long enough to call running plays. UCLA got interior penetration almost immediately, every play. There’s just no way to call running plays that way. We’d call a run and go backwards. At which point, everyone on D just creeps forward more and more, making things worse and worse each quarter.

Saying we should “commit to the run” means essentially just planning on giving up series after series to three and out, in hopes that we get some rhythm to run. That doesn’t work when you don’t get first downs and just keep punting. All while you have a great QB, who will be standing watching RBs get pushed back into his lap, not be given any chance to help the team.
Sorry but you can't claim you can't do something when you figuratively never do it, when you do try it with your smallest RB who has shown no ability to break tackles, and have the most generic run call possible...all while you refuse to bring in more blockers and insist on going 4 wide.

Committing to the run game means you will have some negative plays and 3 and outs and that’s fine. Guess what? Throwing 50+ times also results in a lot of negative plays and 3 and outs for this team.

Running the ball, even without tons of success, forces the defense to respect the threat of a run, opens play action, helps the OL in pass pro, and it helps run and control clock keeping your own defense fresh.

It’s insane to say “we tried running once, it didn’t work, so we don’t need to keep trying”.

Play calling and committing to running on 2nd and 10 with the intent of gaining 3-5 yards to keep defenses honest needs to be addressed. The OL can't be as bad as they have looked. I'm skeptical of Sean Lewis as an OC as he continues to struggle with adjustments to make the team successful. If Sanders wasn't back there at QB bailing out this offense we would likely be asking for his job.

I’m still annoyed at our helpless attitude toward running the ball and protecting the QB. In addition to the stuff mentioned above, put 2 backs in the backfield plus motion. Now you have multiple people to defend, multiple directions the play can go. Not every play has to be 3+ yards, even if that’s the goal. It’s the threat that you might do it that matters. Same as the need to throw deep once every 15 plays or so (at min) just to let the D know you might do it again. Even if it doesn’t result in a catch, it’s still successful if it slows down the pass rush or opens passing space because the D leaves a Safety deeper. Anything but the same basic look over and over again because “o-line stinks”.

i wonder what this offense would look like with a 6'4" 250 lb TE who can block and actually catch the ball. would be so helpful to the OL and would be able to sneak out for a catch 3-5 times each half. Brewster needs to find a diamond.

Motion, misdirection, sweeps, options, toss plays, reverse, etc. lots of ways to keep the defense more on their heels than toes. If you only ever run up the middle or shotgun with no motion, you are making life easy on the D.
Even if you do all this and don’t run the ball, it’s not going to matter.

Something I've been thinking about... It feels like CP brought in Sean Lewis as OC and kind of forced him to run a different offense, one that's much closer to what SS ran at JSU than anything actually resembling what Lewis ran at Kent State. If you go back and watch this video that's been posted here a number of times and compare it to what we see from CU, there are just glaring differences, and it starts with the fact that the entire offense is predicated on the QB run. The run game is read option or triple option out of Shotgun and the passing game is mostly built off that with RPOs.

Frankly, the offense is a college only offense and isn't going to help a QB translate to the NFL in any way (read into this what you may). Also, Shedeur is an elite passer and not a read option QB, so I'm not advocating for them to force SS to run the Sean Lewis offense, but I'm mostly wondering why Sean Lewis was CP's pick for OC in the first place? I think Lewis wanted out of Kent State, he came highly recommended from people that CP trusts, and they both convinced each other that they could marry the SL offense and Air Raid concepts together into an offense that Shedeur can run and that's attractive for the NFL. IMO, he needed to go find a proven Air Raid guy, who could build off what SS was already doing at JSU and take it to the next level.

End of the day, personnel on the OL may be their biggest issue, but I just don't think what Sean Lewis knows and wants to do is what Shedeur wants to do (for good reason, IMO) or can execute, and they've been trying to adjust on the fly. It might be prudent for both Lewis and CP to agree to part ways and for CP to bring in a guy who can design an offense, including a run game, around a pocket passer.

Something I've been thinking about... It feels like CP brought in Sean Lewis as OC and kind of forced him to run a different offense, one that's much closer to what SS ran at JSU than anything actually resembling what Lewis ran at Kent State. If you go back and watch this video that's been posted here a number of times and compare it to what we see from CU, there are just glaring differences, and it starts with the fact that the entire offense is predicated on the QB run. The run game is read option or triple option out of Shotgun and the passing game is mostly built off that with RPOs.

Frankly, the offense is a college only offense and isn't going to help a QB translate to the NFL in any way (read into this what you may). Also, Shedeur is an elite passer and not a read option QB, so I'm not advocating for them to force SS to run the Sean Lewis offense, but I'm mostly wondering why Sean Lewis was CP's pick for OC in the first place? I think Lewis wanted out of Kent State, he came highly recommended from people that CP trusts, and they both convinced each other that they could marry the SL offense and Air Raid concepts together into an offense that Shedeur can run and that's attractive for the NFL. IMO, he needed to go find a proven Air Raid guy, who could build off what SS was already doing at JSU and take it to the next level.

End of the day, personnel on the OL may be their biggest issue, but I just don't think what Sean Lewis knows and wants to do is what Shedeur wants to do (for good reason, IMO) or can execute, and they've been trying to adjust on the fly. It might be prudent for both Lewis and CP to agree to part ways and for CP to bring in a guy who can design an offense, including a run game, around a pocket passer.

These have been my thoughts exactly

Well said. I'm still in the camp that Byron Leftwich will be our OC next year.

Let's not overthink this. The OLine is sh!t because the coaching they're getting is sh!t. When your OLine is sh!t, it limits what you can do immensely. We should at least be maintaining a level of mediocrity at this point. Instead, we get drastically worse each week. That's coaching. That's a DC throwing better players and different looks/stunts at us and us not being able to coach up our players to at least somewhat execute against it.

I know you coach, so you've been in film sessions and coaches meetings. I guarantee CP is not happy which means Sean Lewis is not happy. And if Lewis isn't absolutely tearing into O'Boyle this week and/or taking over some of the Line coaching this week to get done what he needs to get done, then he's a poor coach himself.

Back