What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sean mother****ing Lewis

Side note - Mark Jones killed it in that game with the references. A+. Will watch again.

From watching Lloyd Cushenberry **** things up with the Broncos - an inexperienced, over his head center can make competent guards look incompetent because they're having to try to cover for him.
The Center makes everything go (or conversely) and it can be amplified dependent on the offense….thus the ample discussion in the preseason about how important Van Wells was to what they wanted to do. I am convinced that Zilinskas has a bright future, but was in over his head against CSU and that tank of a NT they have. Hopefully we see quick improvement AND Van Wells comes back soon

Know there's limitations due to a **** OL & SS2 holding the ball too long but would love to see some motion be added into the offense and get some misdirection going in the run game...something other than what we've seen over the last 3 weeks:

Team1st Q2nd Q3rd Q4th QTotal
TCU0.320.280.710.770.49
NU0.16-0.070.300.840.29
CSU-0.43-0.420.060.570.07
OREGON-0.09-0.36GARBAGEGARBAGE-0.26

No data for the 2nd half of Saturday's game due to it being garbage time but the EPA we're seeing from this offense gotta get better if we're going to make a bowl. Oregon is stacked on the lines for sure but the NU & CSU games no real excuse.

Know there's limitations due to a **** OL & SS2 holding the ball too long but would love to see some motion be added into the offense and get some misdirection going in the run game...something other than what we've seen over the last 3 weeks:

Team1st Q2nd Q3rd Q4th QTotal
TCU0.320.280.710.770.49
NU0.16-0.070.300.840.29
CSU-0.43-0.420.060.570.07
OREGON-0.09-0.36GARBAGEGARBAGE-0.26

No data for the 2nd half of Saturday's game due to it being garbage time but the EPA we're seeing from this offense gotta get better if we're going to make a bowl. Oregon is stacked on the lines for sure but the NU & CSU games no real excuse.
I'm no expert, but a two back set with McCaskill, or Smoke, or Wilkerson and Edwards would take some pressure off. You could fake a give to the back other than Edwards, and throw to DE in the flat, you could set DE in motion, you could keep both backs in to supplement the sieve of an OL on pass pro (assuming you aren't just going to throw 3 yard outs and five yard come backs), you could have a lead blocking back for DE or simply give it to a back who isn't going to go down the first time a defensive player puts a hand on him.

I doubt anyone at this point is afraid of DE running between the tackles. Has anyone seen him break a tackle? He is a remarkable talent, but he is not an every down back. DC's are probably quite comfortable with a CU game plan that has him running the ball inside.

I'm no expert, but a two back set with McCaskill, or Smoke, or Wilkerson and Edwards would take some pressure off. You could fake a give to the back other than Edwards, and throw to DE in the flat, you could set DE in motion, you could keep both backs in to supplement the sieve of an OL on pass pro (assuming you aren't just going to throw 3 yard outs and five yard come backs), you could have a lead blocking back for DE or simply give it to a back who isn't going to go down the first time a defensive player puts a hand on him.

I doubt anyone at this point is afraid of DE running between the tackles. Has anyone seen him break a tackle? He is a remarkable talent, but he is not an every down back. DC's are probably quite comfortable with a CU game plan that has him running the ball inside.
I think he will be able to run between the tackles by about his Junior Year, but right now he is a remarkable open-field athlete, and thus he needs to get out in the open field. I like the idea of two backs as a way to change the snapshot of the CU backfield. Right now, we have a super-talented, but relatively stoic QB and a very small single-back set that teams are just hammering on.

Watching MM's Dolphin offense was pretty eye-opening as far as what can be done on a creative note, and I know everyone is going to come hard with the that is a top NFL Offensive Line, but the creativity to create motion and commotion with the RB's, WR's, and TE's is not on the OL. Tua got rid of the ball super quick, and the motion is constant on every play to create openings.

This! a million times. Edwards is not going to be part of a two back set. McCaskill should be the back that is featured in a two back set and Edwards will need to be used on the outside either in motion or as a outlet/screen. Put in a back with McCaskill that can help with the blocking, that is not going to Edwards

This! a million times. Edwards is not going to be part of a two back set. McCaskill should be the back that is featured in a two back set and Edwards will need to be used on the outside either in motion or as a outlet/screen. Put in a back with McCaskill that can help with the blocking, that is not going to Edwards
Good point, but if we were to hear from Lew, and I am convinced we won't, a two back set robs the O of one more WR to spread out the coverage. I suspect that is why you will continue to see one back sets, but I don't know how you scheme around an OL that can't run block, can't pass pro, with a smallish fast RB who gets dropped by the first defensive contact on run plays and blown up on pass pro. A two back set with McCaskill and another RB with size would help, but you are trading the outside speed Lew apparently covets with RB who can try to cover up the OL deficiency. Tough choice.

Good point, but if we were to hear from Lew, and I am convinced we won't, a two back set robs the O of one more WR to spread out the coverage. I suspect that is why you will continue to see one back sets, but I don't know how you scheme around an OL that can't run block, can't pass pro, with a smallish fast RB who gets dropped by the first defensive contact on run plays and blown up on pass pro. A two back set with McCaskill and another RB with size would help, but you are trading the outside speed Lew apparently covets with RB who can try to cover up the OL deficiency. Tough choice.
Would love to hear honestly what Lewis sees or is planning to fix. So many talented skill players and with 4 games film on us, we are hot garbage

Would love to hear honestly what Lewis sees or is planning to fix. So many talented skill players and with 4 games film on us, we are hot garbage

45, 36, 43 and 6.

Hot garbage indeed.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

In game 2 the point total was padded by woeful Nebraska O turning the ball over. 21 points by the offense in regular time in game 3. Barely. The trend was worrisome before Oregon, and now it's getting dire. I'd like to see some growth now that the warts have been exposed.

UO's defense is as good as any save UU that CU will see this season. Exposed is a fair point, hot garbage is just a race to see who can have the most hyperbolic take.

UO's defense is as good as any save UU that CU will see this season. Exposed is a fair point, hot garbage is just a race to see who can have the most hyperbolic take.
Fair, although Prime himself said the offense played like hot garbarge against UO. USC has given up 28 points twice this season (San Jose St, ASU), 14 to Nevada, and 10 to Stanford.

If we don't go over 28 in this game against Alex Grinch at home, the concerns should mount. Shedeur Sanders should be scoring more than those teams, no Travis Hunter and all.

The offense was up tempo against TCU. TCU was playing on their heels. The CU offense has slowed down since then, and the drop off obvious. I would really like to see Lewis tweak the intensity and pace up like they did against TCU, wear the defenses down. USC has a suspect defense, Lewis should expose that.

The offense was up tempo against TCU. TCU was playing on their heels. The CU offense has slowed down since then, and the drop off obvious. I would really like to see Lewis tweak the intensity and pace up like they did against TCU, wear the defenses down. USC has a suspect defense, Lewis should expose that.
TCU had no film to study. They had no idea what to prep for. Everyone else got to see what we were going to do. CSU figuring us out should have been our first warning. Beating us is pretty simple if you can get in our pocket and make Shedeur run backwards a lot you will win the game

TCU had no film to study. They had no idea what to prep for. Everyone else got to see what we were going to do. CSU figuring us out should have been our first warning. Beating us is pretty simple if you can get in our pocket and make Shedeur run backwards a lot you will win the game
All good points. I agree. I also believe if the pace returned to what we saw in the TCU game, opposing defenses, not matter how prepared you are, if they are scrambling to lineup as we snap the ball, over and over, it creates an advantage. I am curious why the pace has slowed down.

All good points. I agree. I also believe if the pace returned to what we saw in the TCU game, opposing defenses, not matter how prepared you are, if they are scrambling to lineup as we snap the ball, over and over, it creates an advantage. I am curious why the pace has slowed down.
Pace only matters if you get first downs. Look at the first half against Oregon and CSU. It’s really pathetic.

I really hope Shedeur's holding on to the ball isn't a result of him biasing towards longer passes or better completion pct to fill up the stat sheet vs short but positive yards or throwing it away. not saying it's intentional but some bad habits could have been created subconsciously

Ain’t nobody running a two back set anymore in college. Unless you’re a service academy.

Right now there’s only one back I would trust to get me positive yards on any given play. That’s Wilkerson. McCaskill is MIA, Dyl is too small and inexperienced, no one knows wtf is up with Smoke and Hankerson has never been him, nor will ever be him.

Run Wilkerson, ask him and the line for just 3 yards a pop and call it a win.

Ain’t nobody running a two back set anymore in college. Unless you’re a service academy.
I was not suggesting a 2 back every play, but one need only go to post 134 ITT to find some team called Kent St. with two players in the backfield with the QB on occasion....

I was not suggesting a 2 back every play, but one need only go to post 134 ITT to find some team called Kent St. with two players in the backfield with the QB on occasion....
I still don't see how 2 backs helps us in any way. None of our backs are FBs types and none of them want to be lead blockers. You're better off running an attached TE or throwing Bishop Thomas back there again and saying, "here we come, try to stop us."

Last edited:
I still don't see how 2 backs helps us in any way. None of our backs are FBs types and none of them want to be lead blockers. You're better off running an attached TE or throwing Bishop Thomas back there again and saying, "we we come, try to stop us."
It is just an idea for a floundering offense. Lew used what looked a lot like an H-Back in that game v. OU to lead block for the run game. What could it hurt?

I'm noticing a disturbing trend here that you can't say anything slightly critical of this team without being "neg repped". It's as if we've all turned into Prime fans first instead of Buffs fans.

(and yes I'm fully prepared to get neg repped for pointing this out.)

It is just an idea for a floundering offense. Lew used what looked a lot like an H-Back in that game v. OU to lead block for the run game. What could it hurt?
I like the H-Back idea a lot. Not sure who on the roster could fill that role of decent blocker AND receiver, though.

Back