What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Serious Question about Recruiting

As I mentioned, "proximity to home" is the biggest predictor. (1)

Next is whether it is a P5 program. (2)

Next is the "big time offer" thing. i.e., where the program falls on the scale of "likely to compete for championships" to "may not go bowling during my college career". (3)

Next is "coaching". i.e., whether the program has a big time head coach and what the track record is for developing guys to make it to the NFL. (4)

After that, it's hard to generalize and depends so much on what the player is looking for. Could be academics or weather or campus life or favorable depth chart or some other factor. It's unlikely a school is going to win a recruiting battle on one of these factors unless it's a tiebreaker on the stuff above.

Last, while there's an order to those first 4 factors, being especially strong or weak on some can kill you. Great example is CU. Hawkins killed things in-state in the beginning when CU was known as a mediocre program that competed in its division and went bowling every year. At the time, Hawkins was known as one of the biggest winners in CFB and had a lot of juice. He recruited great his first 2 years. It fell apart in his 3rd class when he missed making a bowl game -- which was especially impactful because his strategy was to bring in his official visitors after the season. After that losing season, there just wasn't any momentum and there were no bowl practices. I remain convinced that if our Buffs could have found 1 more win during that 2008 season (at aTm or NU, most likely) and become bowl eligible, that the program would have never sunk to the level it did. Hawkins would not have worked out here - he wasn't good on this level and both his development & attrition were horrible, but it wouldn't have gotten as bad as it did.
I want to see the Beta weights on your regression.

I want to see the Beta weights on your regression.
Mercer University and an Iowa PhD student have both researched this. Some of the things I mentioned on my list were based on perception, so wouldn't be quantified (i.e, "coach"). Also, I left out "whether the player took an OV to a school" and "how much they talk about the school on Twitter" as factors because those are symptomatic of interest rather than drivers of interest. Both those prediction models ended up being about 70% accurate on predicting where players will commit. I wasn't just shooting from the hip. :)

Because he's black. He had been pretty much surrounded by white people most of his life, however, Boulder is too white. He said it felt like a place where he would be arrested for walking across someone's yard.
White people get arrested in Boulder for having a car that’s too loud or ordering a coffee with animal-product creamer.

323A34A4-BE7B-4A57-8CA2-EC4ADBD3EDE0.jpeg
This thread sure took a turn.

I like that we discuss these types of issues without shying away from them, but let's keep it cordial and let's not take it away from the topic of recruiting into the realm of politics.

Thank you.

Mercer University and an Iowa PhD student have both researched this. Some of the things I mentioned on my list were based on perception, so wouldn't be quantified (i.e, "coach"). Also, I left out "whether the player took an OV to a school" and "how much they talk about the school on Twitter" as factors because those are symptomatic of interest rather than drivers of interest. Both those prediction models ended up being about 70% accurate on predicting where players will commit. I wasn't just shooting from the hip. :)
:D, what kind of firearm you rocking these days?

I’m a conservative. So I’m uncomfortable in Boulder too.
This is so weird to me. Why would your internal political beliefs make you uncomfortable in Boulder? It's just politics. Unless there is something intrinsic and visible about you that leads people to automatically treat you different, any feeling of being uncomfortable is on you, not the place you are in.

It’s too bad a recruiting discussion has evolved into a political/racial discussion. One thing I find great about athletics is that it provides an opportunity to kids who may not otherwise have one to attend great universities. It brings young men and women of all backgrounds together with a common goal and they often become friends for life regardless of their background.
I’m a conservative. So I’m uncomfortable in Boulder too.
jerkinit.0.gif

This is so weird to me. Why would your internal political beliefs make you uncomfortable in Boulder? It's just politics. Unless there is something intrinsic and visible about you that leads people to automatically treat you different, any feeling of being uncomfortable is on you, not the place you are in.
It was a joke.

^^This

It would be like if I said I felt uncomfortable visiting Colorado Springs because of its politics. How the hell would local politics have any impact on my going to Garden of the Gods or anything else I would do there? :confused:

One of the best things about Boulder is that you can be whatever you want and nobody cares.

One of the best things about Boulder is that you can be whatever you want and nobody cares.
Yes and no.

Something I love about Boulder and the reason we choose to raise our son here is that it's a town where an interracial gay couple can walk down the street holding hands and no one pays it any attention.

Now, the other side of that is that you will get dirty looks and maybe even some unasked for comments if you walk around wearing a MAGA hat. Which is appropriate since someone wearing that is making a public political statement and that statement is a direct attack on the values and culture of my community that make my first example possible.

Yes and no.

Something I love about Boulder and the reason we choose to raise our son here is that it's a town where an interracial gay couple can walk down the street holding hands and no one pays it any attention.

Now, the other side of that is that you will get dirty looks and maybe even some unasked for comments if you walk around wearing a MAGA hat. Which is appropriate since someone wearing that is making a public political statement and that statement is a direct attack on the values and culture of my community that make my first example possible.
True, I was thinking more on the line of non politically narrative clothing. Suits vs grunge. I am guilty of thinking less of anyone wearing a political message, regardless of affiliation. I don't like it, but I do.

Speaking of feeling uncomfortable in certain towns. I grew up in Denver metro and my Granparents lived in Colorado Springs.
I loved visiting them, but I always just felt like something was off about the town even as a little kid.

That's not "being who you are". That's exercising your free speech with a public political statement in support of a political lobbyist organization. It makes comment and, therefore, invites reaction.
Possibly. My point is that intolerance is just as evident in Boulder as in most other places. It is not special.

Back