What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shurmur taking over play calling

Watching his body language during the OSU game, I felt like he was a guy just trying to get through the season at this point. He has taken a serious beating.
I was literally scared for his safety in the UCLA game. I think that is what spurred this decision.

I still think shurmur was the correct choice based on who is on staff IF a change was to be made. I'm not saying I am dancing for joy with shurmur there, but who else on staff would someone pick?

The main goal at this point for the rest of the season should be to try to prevent any serious injuries to our players. A bowl game would be a nice cherry on top of a season that has already been better than last, but not at the cost of your starting QB next year.

Watching his body language during the OSU game, I felt like he was a guy just trying to get through the season at this point. He has taken a serious beating.
His body language was that of a guy who was beat to **** and hurting badly. I just got through the first half rewatch and I'm feeling sorry for him.

Oh, and that TD we gave up at the end of the half was completely ridiculous.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I was kind of hoping that he wouldn't come back into the game Saturday. Not that I wanted him to be seriously injured, but he needs a break and it would have forced the coaching staff to come up with a better plan than "Shedeur will save us."

so far the shurmur offense changes appear to be: hey let's do everything a little slower, let's nod at showing some occasional power formations, and let's not go deep.

considering what worked for us earlier in the year, i am not sure i fully understand how this gets us better. but what do i know?

so far the shurmur offense changes appear to be: hey let's do everything a little slower, let's nod at showing some occasional power formations, and let's not go deep.

considering what worked for us earlier in the year, i am not sure i fully understand how this gets us better. but what do i know?
I agree. When you have NFL caliber WRs that can go deep against DBs that, a few of whom are not NFL caliber, you do that. A lot.

NFL offenses can be boringly safe. Except at the end of the half 🤫

Shurmur didnt reduce the sack total much off of average. He did lower the completion percentage and gave us 4th lowest passing yardage on the year. A trend or two to watch.

6D81D3A4-00DD-4DFE-8A5B-3F208E6B8499.jpeg

I agree. When you have NFL caliber WRs that can go deep against DBs that, a few of whom are not NFL caliber, you do that. A lot.

Shurmur didnt reduce the sack total much off of average. He did lower the completion percentage and gave us 4th lowest passing yardage on the year. A trend or two to watch.

View attachment 66824
Shedeur was off on Saturday. He missed multiple throws he normally nails effortlessly.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I was kind of hoping that he wouldn't come back into the game Saturday. Not that I wanted him to be seriously injured, but he needs a break and it would have forced the coaching staff to come up with a better plan than "Shedeur will save us."
He went to the locker room and got a shot of something. You could see the difference when he’s playing without pain vs with pain.

View attachment 66824
Going deep alot with this oline is asking for #2 to take a lot more hits.

View attachment 66824
All the calls to bring in a power package does nothing if the TE isn’t a receiving threat. If that means bringing in an extra lineman, that doesn’t change the calculus. The D simply has to account for one less receiver and it accomplishes nothing other than to bunch more people together.

This is about OL who can’t block and are often confused. NFL coaches with no CFB coaching are typically NOT the answer to end the confusion.

The confusion wasn’t there in game 1. What happened?

It is so challenging not to get caught up in the weekly frustrations when the team doesn't win. Observations about players performance, CP's football IQ, etc...

When the dust settles, this team has been in every game except @Oregon. The offense scores double what last year's team did. The defense has held opponents below last year's averages. They have done so with 80 new players, which means cohesion and on-fieid trust hasn't had time to be developed. Yet, this team has quadrupledthe win total from last year.

Considering where the talent level was at last year, as well as horrible coaching for 3 years, four wins is a considerable improvement. I think everyone knew this was going to be a wait and see approach on players and coaching staff. We all knew some changes would be made.

The lull in hype may cost CP a few top recruits, but 10,000 foot level, the program is improved and the future is far brighter than its been in 20 years. I do not have any more expectations of wins this season, yet still see vast improvements over the past several years. Next season 9 wins!

It is so challenging not to get caught up in the weekly frustrations when the team doesn't win. Observations about players performance, CP's football IQ, etc...

When the dust settles, this team has been in every game except @Oregon. The offense scores double what last year's team did. The defense has held opponents below last year's averages. They have done so with 80 new players, which means cohesion and on-fieid trust hasn't had time to be developed. Yet, this team has quadrupledthe win total from last year.

Considering where the talent level was at last year, as well as horrible coaching for 3 years, four wins is a considerable improvement. I think everyone knew this was going to be a wait and see approach on players and coaching staff. We all knew some changes would be made.

The lull in hype may cost CP a few top recruits, but 10,000 foot level, the program is improved and the future is far brighter than its been in 20 years. I do not have any more expectations of wins this season, yet still see vast improvements over the past several years. Next season 9 wins!
I think the narrative in the national media will be "With the exceptions of Sanders and their fans, Colorado exceeded everyone's expectations in 2023"

View attachment 66824
Weaver is potentially a day 3 draft choice this year if that. I expect Travis Hunter to be looked at by the NFL after next season as a DB not a WR, and Jimmy Horn as a day 3 or an UDFA. At some point the hype train needs to slow down a little.

Last edited:

The first three games, TCU, the Nubs, and CSU didn't know how or didn't have the personnel to stop our offense. That all changed in the Oregon game. They didn't just beat the hell out of us, they gave a road map for other teams to do it. Since that game, everybody has known the same thing - our OL is terrible, and they play accordingly. They don't worry about their DBs getting beat deep because they don't believe our OL can give Shedeur enough time. They don't worry about their safeties supporting the run because they don't believe that our OL can make holes for the run game. Sometimes we still make plays because Shedeur is transcendent and because we have skill position players that can make plays. But across 60 minutes, we're just not hard to defend.

As our resident doom prognosticator, these should be glorious times for you.
eh, watching a CU football team massively regress and fail to adapt as it misses a bowl game in tragic, if not pathetic, circumstances is something I'm pretty over.

New Well off Video showing shurmur addressing team about running the ball more. Hopefully we see more this week

I just don't see us being able to run the ball. It would be a wonderful, if not kinda frustrating revelation to find out that we actually can run the ball consistently and take some of the pressure off of Shedeur and the pass game, but what changes can we actually make that will produce consistent results?

I’m just looking for anything that shows they are trying to keep Shedeur upright. Moving pocket, in-line TE (Yelverton??), 20+ rushing attempts. Anything.

I just don't see us being able to run the ball. It would be a wonderful, if not kinda frustrating revelation to find out that we actually can run the ball consistently and take some of the pressure off of Shedeur and the pass game, but what changes can we actually make that will produce consistent results?
We haven’t even tried to run the ball. Will only help Shedeur with more time if the defense can’t pin their ears back every snap

We haven’t even tried to run the ball. Will only help Shedeur with more time if the defense can’t pin their ears back every snap

I mean, I agree, and trying to run Edwards between the tackles on those few times we have hasn't been encouraging, but we've seen Hank and Wilkerson get stuffed enough, haven't we? I mean, are we talking significant scheme changes, or just calling the same ****ty run plays that haven't been working. 'Establishing the run' doesn't really mean anything if we get 2 yards on 1st, 1 yard on 2nd, and then Shedeur is trying to stay alive on 3rd and long.

I mean, I agree, and trying to run Edwards between the tackles on those few times we have hasn't been encouraging, but we've seen Hank and Wilkerson get stuffed enough, haven't we? I mean, are we talking significant scheme changes, or just calling the same ****ty run plays that haven't been working. 'Establishing the run' doesn't really mean anything if we get 2 yards on 1st, 1 yard on 2nd, and then Shedeur is trying to stay alive on 3rd and long.
The point of the run isn't always to get big yards. It's to compellingly convince the other team that you are committed to the run.

And...didn't Wilkerson have a 7 yard and 8 yard run? Those are nice yards.

The point of the run isn't always to get big yards. It's to compellingly convince the other team that you are committed to the run.

And...didn't Wilkerson have a 7 yard and 8 yard run? Those are nice yards.

I get that, but you have to be successful to convince them. You are right, Wilkerson had a good run on Saturday. Most of our runs in Pac12 play have been not good.

I'm not really against the idea of establishing a running game, I'd love the idea of a) having an offense that was actually successful and b) not getting our QB killed, I am just doubtful that it is actually possible. I still see us facing 3rd and long regularly, just as we have been doing.

I'm also not opposed to trying something different. Again though, color me skeptical that we'll have a different outcome.

His body language was that of a guy who was beat to **** and hurting badly. I just got through the first half rewatch and I'm feeling sorry for him.
You’re not going to want to watch the 2nd half. On one of those sacks near our goal line, you can hear him yelling, “****!”, “****!”. He’s in some serious pain and it hurts to watch.

You’re not going to want to watch the 2nd half. On one of those sacks near our goal line, you can hear him yelling, “****!”, “****!”. He’s in some serious pain and it hurts to watch.

Yeah, it probably took him a good 5 seconds to get off the field after that one. He also was jogging on the sidelines during the following OSU possession, presumably to prove that he could still play.

Back