What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shurmur taking over play calling

I don't want to minimize that (or the great job in the red zone). What's gone right on offense has been exceptionally good. The problem is that it's sink of swim. If we don't have a scoring drive, it seems like it's 3 plays with lost yardage and Shedeur getting abused. And long stretches of stringing those bad series together. We rarely have a drive where we accomplish enough positive things to maintain or gain a little momentum and reverse field position.
It also doesn't tell you that Shedeur is the most pressured QB in the country and is taking a beating on a weekly basis.

Compare the Defense to the offense last week. Defense had arguably their best performance. Yes, they gave up 28 points but that's what happens when the Offense does nothing.
When you get 4(5?) turnovers, and only get (was it only) 3 pts out of those…the offense laid an egg. I’d imagine the defense had to be pretty frustrated as a unit.

The Bruin defensive front - knowing it could waltz through any blocking happening, it wasn’t a matter of when, but who would get a turn at knocking down Shedeur.

Last edited:
Lewis is an outstanding OC. This is dumb.

Lewis simply HAS to have certain guys with certain talents for his offense to work, and he doesn't seem interested in modifying his system.
I am confused by this. He isnt running the Kent State scheme. He's running mostly a different offense designed around 2 (the definition of modified). Maybe he hasnt been adept at adjusting in game, or hasnt been great at this new scheme. But he's trying to change. Hopefully tonight shows some learning and growth with the two headed OC monster!

In the end, I hope we don't lose Lewis. There are obviously some dynamics at play, but post-Prime, I wouldn't be upset with a Sean Lewis KS offense.

In the end, I hope we don't lose Lewis. There are obviously some dynamics at play, but post-Prime, I wouldn't be upset with a Sean Lewis KS offense.

It will be interesting to see when they get some RPO QB's in the system.

Absolutely. This is an attempt to salvage the season and win some games this year. I have no doubt HCP will re-evaluate the whole thing for next year.

This is pretty much what I thought would be going on this year, before the season started. For a few games, hope overwhelmed reason. We finally brought in some real talent, but that doesn’t build a full program in a year, even in modern transfer rules CF.

It’s just too hard to create a dominant OL or DL. Those guys are rare and hard to come by. And you can’t be a dominant team without dominant lines.

I feel for Lewis, as I’m sure he believed his scheme could work without the greatest OL-just guys who can do the specifics well in the run game and give the QB a few seconds to throw the ball. That’s where this has all blown up. I’m sure film on us had shown that we can’t handle any form of stunts up front, and the D doesn’t have to blitz to get to SS. You can’t call any offense scheme, certainly not Lewis’, when OL are standing around watching guys run by them.
I believe the developing issues derive mainly a from combination of BB and lack of OL talent.
It's too hard to build a dominant OL? Stop.

It is so odd to have a great QB and not use that threat to run the ball. But now that we show we are not committed to any serious run plays, the other team can commit 6 rushers

Agree there-but that probably means calling a game the way Mike Leach used to wasn't a good idea, no?

You coach to what you have. This staff hasn't done that.
Have you seen the blocking on both pass and run plays?

On the play that looked like Sheuder got hurt, Tank (maybe our best OL) missed two blocks in one play. Barely touched the outside rusher, then was so out of position he should have been able to block the guy who ultimately hit Sheuder and missed him too.

Have you seen the blocking on both pass and run plays?

On the play that looked like Sheuder got hurt, Tank (maybe our best OL) missed two blocks in one play. Barely touched the outside rusher, then was so out of position he should have been able to block the guy who ultimately hit Sheuder and missed him too.
We run the ball?

We had 11 rush attempts once again. Wilkerson avg 4.2 ypc, Hankerson avg 4 ypc

We saw poor game management once again. CSU: OT mistakes. USC: running clock to lose and TOs. Stanford: Not running clock, another OT blunder. OSU: pre-halftime idiocy, no onside.

Personnel decisions continue to mystify.

These are red flags above the position coaching level, folks. The pressure is building for next year with each game that passes without fixing these mistakes

We had 11 rush attempts once again. Wilkerson avg 4.2 ypc, Hankerson avg 4 ypc

We saw poor game management once again. CSU: OT mistakes. USC: running clock to lose and TOs. Stanford: Not running clock, another OT blunder. OSU: pre-halftime idiocy, no onside.

Personnel decisions continue to mystify.

These are red flags above the position coaching level, folks. The pressure is building for next year with each game that passes without fixing these mistakes
I feel confident in saying that we would have run down the clock at the end of half, rushed over 25 times and (if necessary) kicked on onside instead of relying on our defense to stop the run if you had not ****ed up the fight song thread.

Shocking that essentially a rookie HC with new staff and entirely new roster who'd never played together has some issues. Jesus ****, people, this team is still miles ahead of last year's team trajectory.

If you were expecting a 1 year turnaround from the worst team in college football to a contender, you're ****ing nuts. The mistakes you're bitching about are largely covered up by talent at the top programs. We don't have the talent, yet, so even small mistakes are magnified.

I feel confident in saying that we would have run down the clock at the end of half, rushed over 25 times and (if necessary) kicked on onside instead of relying on our defense to stop the run if you had not ****ed up the fight song thread.
Your little superstitions are no match for the power of buffs doom my misguided friend

Shocking that essentially a rookie HC with new staff and entirely new roster who'd never played together has some issues. Jesus ****, people, this team is still miles ahead of last year's tram trajectory.

If you were expecting a 1 year turnaround from the worst team in college football to a contender, you're ****ing nuts. The mistakes you're bitching about are largely covered up by talent at the top programs. We don't have the talent, yet, so even small mistakes are magnified.
It's very nice to have a team that can compete and I agree it's been a miraculous turnaround.

But the things most posters are complaining about aren't about a new roster and talent. It's about managing clock, play selection (that doesn't encourage other teams to tee off on our quarterback) and basic gameday decisions.

Shocking that essentially a rookie HC with new staff and entirely new roster who'd never played together has some issues. Jesus ****, people, this team is still miles ahead of last year's team trajectory.

Not expecting a miracle, but the unforced errors over the last month have been pretty ****ing stupid.

So, you're surprised that what's essentially a rookie head coach is making mistakes. We see dumb clock management all across every level of football every week. Seems it's hard to grasp.

It's very nice to have a team that can compete and I agree it's been a miraculous turnaround.

But the things most posters are complaining about aren't about a new roster and talent. It's about managing clock, play selection (that doesn't encourage other teams to tee off on our quarterback) and basic gameday decisions.
Yeah, my concern is that Prime might just not be a very good game day coach. It was covered up at JSU because they had more talent, but he’s going to have to rely on his coordinators to manage their side and he has whiffed on the offensive side in year one.

Back