What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shurmur taking over play calling

I suggested two back sets or an H Back concept a few weeks ago. I have no idea why that would not at least be tried. And as others have observed repeatedly, DE struggles in pass pro. He is a dynamic player but blocking a 250# DE is not his forte.
That's a huge scheme change. It's hard to do at any level even over the bye.

CP's halftime interviews the past couple of weeks tell you everything you need to know. He point blank tells the reporter "we have to run the ball." I'm sure he's ripping into Lewis in the locker room telling him we have to establish the run and for whatever reason, Lewis just hasn't done it. The Stanford game is a W in Lewis runs the ball 10-12 more plays in the 2nd half.
I have never been more mystified with coaching decisions than when CU failed to eat the clock by running and then went into anything but a bend but don't break mode on D in the second half of the Furd game.

At least when DII Danny wet the bed against KU and blew that huge lead I could see the reason: he was padding Corky's stats.

I'm encouraged by the autonomy coach Prime has. . . Cautiously nervous about Shurmur, but for **** sake we have the best QB in the country and we're ****ing squandering it with this terrible OL and regression of an Offensive scheme. I'm glad there's an urgency to change.

this is really big. Coach Prime is nil-ruthless.

changing it up with 4 games left and still a shot at bowl eligibility is ballsy.

the offense HAS gotten worse progressively over the season and the OL in particular has gotten worse.

shurmur was just a guy in the nfl but i am more than excited to see if he can make a difference.

i like in particular that this shows accountability beyond just the players. you get the right guys in here and the chemistry will be off the charts great when EVERYONE has to hit the standard. again, very nfl like.

i will be singing another tune likely if the offense sucks even worse and we can't put points up. oh, the vagaries of college football and the shifting feelings of a die-hard fan.

Sheet GIF

Lewis and BOB are GONESVILLE!
Why didn’t Prime just fire Lewis?

That's insane. The offense is scoring what, 20 more PPG than last year with incompetent OL. Fire the OL coach but the high tempo offense that is producing despite no OL talent... Be careful what you wish for Shurmur is trash.

I would have to guess Lewis is unwilling to part with BOB, this really does not make sense. If the QB is getting hit with solid OL then I get it, but that is not the case. Shurmur us a huge downgrade
This is a really bad look for Prime/Colorado. It may work out fine, but hiring one of the premier offensive minds in college football and then cutting ties after half a season looks really bad.
I speculated earlier this week that Lewis simply didn't know how to call an offense without the QB run being the core of the entire offense with the run and pass game building off of it and as teams got more film, things got progressively worse. There was no high tempo offense after about week 2 or 3. There was clear discombobulation and miscommunication all around and it's just not a fit.

Better to try something new in order to salvage a bowl season, since you know you're making a change at OC/OL in the offseason anyways.

So who’s getting demoted for tomorrow? It seems like it would have to be Lewis or Brewster. I’m not sure you can go into a game with no OL coach, although I’m also not sure how the OL could perform any worse.

why fire a guy who WILL get another big job and have to pay him out?

i like lewis and i like the offensive philosophy in general. but we have to adjust to make it work.

i don't think they are going to change up the basic schemes except maybe upfront some. i think this is really about situational play calling and a different mix and such.

we will see.

I have never been more mystified with coaching decisions than when CU failed to eat the clock by running and then went into anything but a bend but don't break mode on D in the second half of the Furd game.

At least when DII Danny wet the bed against KU and blew that huge lead I could see the reason: he was padding Corky's stats.
You don't think that was the intention of Prime with Shedeur against Stanford? That's how it's felt all season, tbh, but nobody really wants to talk about it because it means suggesting that Prime has Shedeur's interests above the team.

Am i the only one thinking we’ll still be running Lewis scheme? I think he gets caught up in the game and doesn’t follow the plan. Schurmer will just be calling plays that are already within the system. I could even see Lewis regain the roll next year assuming we bring in the horses to run it.

Probably trying to let Lewis save face and shop for another job. Prime looks like he tries to take care of his people when he can. Being relieved of paly calling duties looks better for Lewis than an outright firing.

why fire a guy who WILL get another big job and have to pay him out?

i like lewis and i like the offensive philosophy in general. but we have to adjust to make it work.

i don't think they are going to change up the basic schemes except maybe upfront some. i think this is really about situational play calling and a different mix and such.

we will see.
There are potential downsides around having him around team.

You don't think that was the intention of Prime with Shedeur against Stanford? That's how it's felt all season, tbh, but nobody really wants to talk about it because it means suggesting that Prime has Shedeur's interests above the team.
sorry i don't think that take is even close to accurate. stanford, we lost, because the coaches failed in the 2nd half. stat-padding for a qb that will be back next year and already has gaudy nfl projections is not the reason--- being incapable of clock management and trying to play hero ball when all you need to do is grind it out is the culprit.

Thinking about how the coaching world works behind the scenes in my limited experience, this signals to me that for the last few weeks CP has probably tried to get Lewis to adjust his scheme and he just couldn't do it. There are coaches that know one scheme and one scheme only and can't adjust/coach beyond that. I have a feeling Lewis might be that guy given how dysfunctional the offense has looked lately. He tried to adjust outside his box and the results were bad.
This. This ain't the first time it happened. It happened at JSU as well. Sean Lewis is a tremendous talent but lacks scheme flexibility and that's generally a bad sign. He's going to attract a lot of attention regardless because there are people like like his scheme and how he runs it. Just needs to make sure the QBs are all RPO QBs.

I can't tell if you are knocking my DE opinion, or knocking DE. If it's the latter, I simply disagree. DE is going to be a force, but he needs to be properly utilized and he needs some more size and muscle that will come with another year or two.
I knew the offensive staff had lost the plot when they stopped getting the ball to DE in space, started running him between the tackles and started putting him in the backfield in max protect situations.

I see your point, but it doesn't explain the defense. Also, CU has yet to mount an effective run game at all this year. So, yeah, SS2 gets his stats by throwing, but that is also the only way you move the ball. I realize that is talking out of both sides of my mouth, but as odd as the Offensive calls were against Furd, they were nowhere near as obvious as DII Danny's having Corky throw the ball over and over and over...to virtually no effect, against KU.

That's insane. The offense is scoring what, 20 more PPG than last year with incompetent OL. Fire the OL coach but the high tempo offense that is producing despite no OL talent... Be careful what you wish for Shurmur is trash.

I would have to guess Lewis is unwilling to part with BOB, this really does not make sense. If the QB is getting hit with solid OL then I get it, but that is not the case. Shurmur us a huge downgrade
What! Have you lost your damn mind? In what world is Pat Shumur a downgrade to Sean Lewis? Man, wtf did I just read

Then why is CP repeatedly saying out loud they have to establish the run? There's no way CP wants SS2 to succeed so bad he's willing to sacrifice games and/or the health of his son. Because that's where it's trending - every OL jail break has the potential for a season ending injury. That's not CP's MO.

Furd 2nd half was overly aggressive from both coordinators. I actually thought the defense was worse in terms of its playcalling and schemes. Plus the defense couldn't even get organized with personnel and have 11 guys on the field.

Back