What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shurmur taking over play calling

You don't think that was the intention of Prime with Shedeur against Stanford? That's how it's felt all season, tbh, but nobody really wants to talk about it because it means suggesting that Prime has Shedeur's interests above the team.
I didn't get that sense, it was just chaotic on both sides. It was a cluster, but I didn't feel like the root cause was trying to pad Shedeur's stats. I mean, Prime has been calling for more run plays all season.

Last edited:
sorry i don't think that take is even close to accurate. stanford, we lost, because the coaches failed in the 2nd half. stat-padding for a qb that will be back next year and already has gaudy nfl projections is not the reason--- being incapable of clock management and trying to play hero ball when all you need to do is grind it out is the culprit.
I didn't say it was the reason they lost to Stanford, but flippantly going for it on multiple 4th down at mid field or in their own territory, along with slinging it around like they did up 29 points tells the story. They even tried running hurry up at times. Regardless, it's not just about Stanford. The playcalling and decision making has been suspect all season.

Lewis is not anywhere near Pat Shurmur in terms of quality right now. Stop comparing the Broncos to **** the Buffaloes are doing. It's not even comparable. Rhule was a disaster at Carolina but he has NU at 5 wins.
You will see. Wait a couple weeks and you will understand

You will see. Wait a couple weeks and you will understand
I don't need a couple weeks. I've seen Pat over his career and Sean over his short career. There is a massive gap in quality. Sean is a tremendous talent but he's not a good coach yet.

I didn't say it was the reason they lost to Stanford, but flippantly going for it on multiple 4th down at mid field or in their own territory, along with slinging it around like they did up 29 points tells the story. They even tried running hurry up at times. Regardless, it's not just about Stanford. The playcalling and decision making has been suspect all season.
I'd say the 2nd half vs Stanford was probably a indication of the issues a "Fast Flash" offense has. In that scheme, you're consistently aggressive and fast paced not matter the game situation. Another possible example of our OC not being able to adjust.

Then why is CP repeatedly saying out loud they have to establish the run? There's no way CP wants SS2 to succeed so bad he's willing to sacrifice games and/or the health of his son. Because that's where it's trending - every OL jail break has the potential for a season ending injury. That's not CP's MO.
CP says they need to establish the run, but then when he's questioned about it in the post game, his excuse is that "we tried running the ball, but it didn't work, so why would we continue doing it". When you try it only 10-11 times in a game, that's a token effort to establish the run and it's a lack of knowledge of how establishing a run game actually works.

I think it can be both here. Of course he doesn't want his son hurt, but I also don't really think that was a major concern up until UCLA.

Going for it was fine. They were looking for that knockout blow, and Stanford hadn't stopped them all game. The issue was they tried to get too cute on 4th and 3. They punted on 4th and 1 the next possession.

I'd say the 2nd half vs Stanford was probably an indication of the issues a "Fast Flash" offense has. In that scheme, you're consistently aggressive and fast paced not matter the game situation. Another possible example of our OC not being able to adjust.
It was obviously broken by the USC game when in the 4th quarter Shedeur ignored Lewis by slowing things down and changing calls to run plays.

Knew there had to be a major disconnect between what Lewis wanted to do, what was actually happening, and what that was going to mean for the future. Our offense has become less of what I expected every game from the opener through week 8.
definitely regressed and changed.

well, if nothing else, folks are going to keep tuning in.

this **** is MUST SEE TV.

you don't make it to the level that shurmur made it without being a really ****ing good coach. i had wondered before the season if these high powered analysts were plan b coaches for us, unlike saban who uses analysts almost like a rehab program for good coaches who need to get their next gig.

**** is so real in Boulder right now.

i can't wait for tomorrow.

You think coach Lewis is good? Look at the route designs, look at the running plays. All of his rushing designs are RPO based. Nothing under the center. Nothing based on the style of RBs we got. He doesn't call plays to our personnel. He's lucky 2 is committed to running his offense. That's really saving what this offense really is. Still, he's a talent. I like tempo. I like his deep stuff, I like him personally but nothing I saw this year is good. Our offense now has a worse grade than our defense on PFF. It's not a good offense. We just got a tremendous QB and that's it.

What does it matter? We were trending in the wrong direction. Schumer ain't gonna be OC beyond the next 4 games, so why get your panties in a bunch?
I am not upset by any means. Having lived through offensive ineptitude for the past 20 years, seeing a team that scores close to 30 points per game and a QB atop the nation in numerous categories, despite having a trash OL, seems like Lewis is the fall guy here, when it should be BOB being removed. Imagine what Lewis' offense would be if he had a decent OL.

This is a really bad look for Prime/Colorado. It may work out fine, but hiring one of the premier offensive minds in college football and then cutting ties after half a season looks really bad.
I’m not sure about your premise RE: Lewis. In any event maybe we’ll see if the OL can run block on Saturday.

Shurmur sucks, but at least we'll see some commitment to the run. Run it into the middle of the line twice and then hope Shedeur can pull off a 3rd and 8 everytime.

I am glad to see that status quo isn't acceptable.

You think coach Lewis is good? Look at the route designs, look at the running plays. All of his rushing designs are RPO based. Nothing under the center. Nothing based on the style of RBs we got. He doesn't call plays to our personnel. He's lucky 2 is committed to running his offense. That's really saving what this offense really is. Still, he's a talent. I like tempo. I like his deep stuff, I like him personally but nothing I saw this year is good. Our offense now has a worse grade than our defense on PFF. It's not a good offense. We just got a tremendous QB and that's it.
Why do you hire an OC who is clearly a system guy, turn over an entire roster with new personnel, and expect him to change the system to fit the personnel?

It was clear from the jump that Lewis's offense was not embraced, wasn't something Shedeur was best suited for, and that Lewis was only going to be running what he wants how he wants as long as the success overcame the general discomfort with what he does. This was a problem brewing before the first snap of the season and Shurmur was clearly brought in because there was a disconnect which caused a lack of trust in the offense.

Why do you hire an OC who is clearly a system guy, turn over an entire roster with new personnel, and expect him to change the system to fit the personnel?

It was clear from the jump that Lewis's offense was not embraced, wasn't something Shedeur was best suited for, and that Lewis was only going to be running what he wants how he wants as long as the success overcame the general discomfort with what he does. This was a problem brewing before the first snap of the season and Shurmur was clearly brought in because there was a disconnect which caused a lack of trust in the offense.
That's on Prime. I questioned the scheme fit for 2 when the hire was announced.

I still believe we will see Lewis offense but it will be tweaked and the playcalling will definitely be tweaked.

Byron Leftwich right now...

Excited I Like It GIF by LA Clippers

there is a learning curve for every coach and player moving up. Shadeur aced his exams in moving up. most of the staff that moved up inlacing the HC are a work in progress.

what a great FRIDAY NEWS DROP.

this **** is so ****ing real.

I don't either is a good option right now. Shurmur is BAD.

That's on Prime. I questioned the scheme fit for 2 when the hire was announced.

I still believe we will see Lewis offense but it will be tweaked and the playcalling will definitely be tweaked.
The thing is, the offense is not the individual plays. The offense is how the different plays flow together and work off each other. When you don't use things, you aren't capitalizing on things other plays set up and you're not setting up other plays properly within the system. It's also designed to be done at pace to keep a defense on its back foot as the same personnel group runs multiple things off the same look. Little of that was done this year and now we're basically left with a playbook the guys know but not a cohesive offense. But we didn't run the system and have a cohesive offense before (and it was getting worse), so maybe this improves something that was clearly broken and needed to change.

I was really optimistic and hopeful with the SL hire but I am also realistic and things were not working, so a change is in order. Whether it is a temporary change to see if it is just the play calling that is a problem or a lead in into a more permanent change, time will tell.

At least Prime is trying to fix something that is broken.

This has the same smell that Chiv developed written all over it. Look good for a few early games, then DCs figure out what you're doing and they adapt and the OC doesn't adapt to counter it and the offense gets progressively worse after about game 4. I don't love Shurmer, but I doubt he's the long term OC. I suspect this is just playing the season out and trying to get those last two wins for bowl eligibility. I do like CP's ruthlessness and willingmess to move on when things aren't working.

Back