What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shurmur taking over play calling

Maybe I'm missreading it, but

"He and Lewis will both have a role in play calling, according to a source. Shurmur will be in the coaches’ box, with Lewis signaling in plays from the sideline."

They will both have play calling duties with shurmur not on the sidelines. That is different than I thought initially

"He and Lewis will both have a role in play calling, according to a source. Shurmur will be in the coaches’ box, with Lewis signaling in plays from the sideline."

They will both have play calling duties with shurmur not on the sidelines. That is different than I thought initially
I think you’re reading this statement incorrectly. I read it as Lewis’s role in the play calling duties will be to signal in Shurmer’s call from the sideline

Being an unsuccessful NFL OC 4 times =/= being an unsuccessful CFB OC (a position he has never held). Something convinced 4 separate NFL HC’s to hire this guy as their OC, and he failed. The positive attributes he has could end up making him an amazing OC in a CFB, we’ll see.
This.

For those that hate Shurmur, read his wiki bio - he's been a great OC and developer of young QB talent at every OC stint. That's why he got the nod more than once as a HC.

It wasn't the most concise wording. But you left out, "Shurmur will be in the coaches’ box, with Lewis signaling in plays from the sideline."

I suppose signaling in the plays is "having a role in play calling." Or Howell could have meant something else. Or he doesn't know.

This.

For those that hate Shurmur, read his wiki bio - he's been a great OC and developer of young QB talent at every OC stint. That's why he got the nod more than once as a HC.

I am intrigued by the fact that one of those stints was under Chip Kelly as he was trying to make his offense work in the NFL.

Ken was part of the brilliance that is not likely letting Oregon State know we were making a change, so as they fly in Denver today, they are like "Oh snap", we cannot just stand up our DL and rush the hell out of the QB, we are not as sure what is going to happen. If they knew on Monday, they could have sent the Michigan Spy Network to figure more out.

As for the change, I am a change guy and like it, especially if we can commit to running the ball. Smoke, Hank, Wilkerson, and Edwards are more than capable in different sets and usages.

I am more optimistic now for this game

Sko Buffs

As long as this leads to an actual commitment to run the ball....

There's a lot more to it than "this offense is averaging 30 per game!" Put up 45 on TCU in a track meet when no one had film. 36 against ****braska was legit. CSU was only 28 in regulation (and it was tough sledding to get it), the other 15 came in OT. Oregon ****ed us in the ass without lube. USC, if we're being honest, we put up a bunch of points when USC (not a defensive juggernaut) took its foot off the gas too early. Scratched and clawed our way to 27 against a not great ASU defense. Scored 36 in regulation against a ****ty Stanford team, but that second half was ****ing brutal. UCLA ate our lunch and poured the milk it didn't want to drink on our head.

This isn't a well-oiled machine.
You'd rather have Chev or last years debacle or just about every offense in the past 20 years? This years offense is better than any in 20+ years. The point is, folks are up in arms like the offense is trash. the OL is trash but after years of being offensively challenged, this years team can score. Obviously Shedeur has a lot to do with that, but Lewis' offense is producing despite having the worst college OL in college football - that is a pretty damn good job with those limitations. CP is upset his son is gettign hit, Lewis is taking the blame instead of BOB. BOB's azz needs to be out of here yesterday. Why that has not happened is on CP (unless that point is the key issue and strain between CP and Lewis)

Let's be honest, Lewis as OC was never a huge factor in getting recruits. The dude was all about the "MACtion" this time last year. 4 and 5 star recruits didn't have a clue who he was until Prime introduced him.
Agreed. I was not saying he is recruiting, I was referring to the QB he recruited and maybe the 3* OL from Missouri. Then again if AJ Hill is the real deal, we will not need a bridge year QB between Shedeur and Hill.

Agreed. I was not saying he is recruiting, I was referring to the QB he recruited and maybe the 3* OL from Missouri. Then again if AJ Hill is the real deal, we will not need a bridge year QB between Shedeur and Hill.
I think Recruits like that Prime is so damn committed to winning that he will do anything for them to make us successful.
Hill does not fit Lewis at all, and getting Hill is more important than keeping Lewis.
I think Leftwich is a lock for the future OC job, and I hope he is going and hanging out with the 49ers, Dolphins, and Chiefs to get all his plans in place for next year.

Can we all agree that those three NFL teams have the best offenses? Almost every metric has them in the top 6 and they each run a modern version of the West Coast offense with tons of motion and other creative enhancements.

Is he the 'Go-Go' guy? Anyone know how that's working out for UNLV?
Better offensive stats than CU so far this year. They weren't as bad CU last year, but were still well below average, so a significant improvement. Their players didn't change over nearly as much and they certainly didn't upgrade talent the same way we did, so bottom line he's getting better results with the same/similar players.

He's a legit coach, and I think he'd do great in Boulder with Prime.

I also don't think it's a "gimmicky" offense - it's foundation is as old-school as it gets, just with speed and modern wrinkles.

Better offensive stats than CU so far this year. They weren't as bad CU last year, but were still well below average, so a significant improvement. Their players didn't change over nearly as much and they certainly didn't upgrade talent the same way we did, so bottom line he's getting better results with the same/similar players.

He's a legit coach, and I think he'd do great in Boulder with Prime.

I also don't think it's a "gimmicky" offense - it's foundation is as old-school as it gets, just with speed and modern wrinkles.

Only 2 losses and I think that's despite playing a freshman QB.
I can't remember from when I looked it up a couple years ago. Doesn't it also depend on a mobile QB?

If so, the same issues would likely arise.

Why fully run your QB if you can creatively put the ball in playmakers hands. Yes, you may need a QB off schedule run or a QB counter run to get a few yards, but UCLA essentially did not even think we were gonna run at all and just full rushed every time with great pass rushers

I can't remember from when I looked it up a couple years ago. Doesn't it also depend on a mobile QB?

If so, the same issues would likely arise.
I don't recall either way. I do think there might be a lot of RPO, but not necessarily a mobile QB; the two don't have to go together - remember, it's not that the QB has the option to run or pass, the QB has the option to hand the ball off or pass - he doesn't necessarily have to run himself.

Like many current successful offenses there's a core of basic plays and route trees but it's all hidden within numerous formations and motion, so the defense doesn't know what to key on for their decisions.

Probably my biggest criticism of Lewis' offense this year has been the lack of motion or formation variance - defenses never need to adjust their pre-snap reads, which just makes the OL's job even harder, and when your OL is suspect to begin with...

McCaskill's redshirt conversation last week is starting to feel more like a "Hang out the rest of this year, we don't want to waste you, and we're bringing in a more run focused offense next season"
It made a lot of sense after seeing McCaskill get stoned by DBs, twice at the end of two of his runs. Just didn’t seem like he was ready to run with authority yet. I’m excited for him to show us what he has next year, as RB1.

I don't recall either way. I do think there might be a lot of RPO, but not necessarily a mobile QB; the two don't have to go together - remember, it's not that the QB has the option to run or pass, the QB has the option to hand the ball off or pass - he doesn't necessarily have to run himself.

Like many current successful offenses there's a core of basic plays and route trees but it's all hidden within numerous formations and motion, so the defense doesn't know what to key on for their decisions.

Probably my biggest criticism of Lewis' offense this year has been the lack of motion or formation variance - defenses never need to adjust their pre-snap reads, which just makes the OL's job even harder, and when your OL is suspect to begin with...
Probably because they were supposed to be going lighting speed. But they never really did.

You'd rather have Chev or last years debacle or just about every offense in the past 20 years? This years offense is better than any in 20+ years. The point is, folks are up in arms like the offense is trash. the OL is trash but after years of being offensively challenged, this years team can score. Obviously Shedeur has a lot to do with that, but Lewis' offense is producing despite having the worst college OL in college football - that is a pretty damn good job with those limitations. CP is upset his son is gettign hit, Lewis is taking the blame instead of BOB. BOB's azz needs to be out of here yesterday. Why that has not happened is on CP (unless that point is the key issue and strain between CP and Lewis)
Unless Lewis stuck up for BOB and that turned things for CP. Just speculating. But yes, BOB is the primary issue. I can guarantee that.

Back