What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

Next Commish contract needs to be performance and incentive laden. Larry basically setup the original deals and has coasted ever since. Dump P12 Network and get CBS to pony up. Setup a streaming only platform for Olympic sports and run it on a tight shoestring budget. Move HQ to Vegas or Phoenix. Forget the Pacific Rim strategy and focus on improving the product and brand here at home. Look for expansion opportunities into Texas if it makes sense $ wise.

I continue to believe the Pac-12 should expand.

If I was the commish, I'd make a play for Texas Tech and then see how the dominos fell if I could pull it off.

If I was the commish, I'd make a play for Texas Tech and then see how the dominos fell if I could pull it off.

Doubt TT would bite since most alumni would be in the Metroplex, Austin-San Antonio, and Houston.

My attitude towards the four TX & OK schools have done a 180 since 2011 but my roots go back to Oklahoma & Texas so I'm biased in favor of Texas instead of California.

I figure they'd either get an SEC expansion invite or try to lead the AAC into P6 status.

I was actually kidding about the Sun Belt stuff but AAC would be the route they take. Ditto for KSU and ISU. KU too if they don't go to the Big Ten and just imagine having Wichita State, KU, and KSU in the same conference for basketball.

Tech would never leave. They don't give a damn about a single school in the PAC, love playing the other Texas and Oklahoma schools, and make loads more money in the Big XII.

Last edited:
Here comes Berkeley with his big 12 “loads more” stuff. The big 10 and the sec make loads more than the pac 12. Not the big 12
Lol. Was the comparison to the SEC, or to the PAC? Do Big XII schools earn millions more than PAC schools? Not only from media but also from tickets sold (who's gonna bring more fans to Lubbock: Oklahoma and Texas or Arizona and UCLA? And who are Tech fans gonna pay more to see?) Did anyone ask about Tech accepting invitations to the SEC, in which case I would have immediately said "he'll ya they'd take that"? What a nonsense deflection.

What's gotten into you lately. Untwist your panties.

Lol. Was the comparison to the SEC, or to the PAC? Do Big XII schools earn millions more than PAC schools? Not only from media but also from tickets sold (who's gonna bring more fans to Lubbock: Oklahoma and Texas or Arizona and UCLA? And who are Tech fans gonna pay more to see?) Did anyone ask about Tech accepting invitations to the SEC, in which case I would have immediately said "he'll ya they'd take that"? What a nonsense deflection.

What's gotten into you lately. Untwist your panties.
Because you keep saying things that aren’t true. The big 12 doesn’t make “loads more” than the pac 12. The pac 12 makes more than the ACC. You are also talking about a very small segment of revenue when you get into how many visiting fans come to watch games.

for the record I don’t think TTU would leave either and would be terrible for the pac 12 but let’s get some facts straight.

Because you keep saying things that aren’t true. The big 12 doesn’t make “loads more” than the pac 12. The pac 12 makes more than the ACC. You are also talking about a very small segment of revenue when you get into how many visiting fans come to watch games.

for the record I don’t think TTU would leave either and would be terrible for the pac 12 but let’s get some facts straight.
So you're upset that my definition of "loads" is simply several million dollars?

Fine. Tech gets more money, better TV windows/ exposure, more games in their recruiting stronghold, more games against teams they care about, and more games that will generate top dollar for them in the Big XII than they would in the PAC, thus I propose they would never leave unless Texas plus several other Big XII teams were for sure coming with them.

So you're upset that my definition of "loads" is simply several million dollars?

Fine. Tech gets more money, better TV windows/ exposure, more games in their recruiting stronghold, more games against teams they care about, and more games that will generate top dollar for them in the Big XII than they would in the PAC, thus I propose they would never leave unless Texas plus several other Big XII teams were for sure coming with them.
Yes. And I agree they aren’t leaving like you just said but you know who also isn’t leaving their conference? USC. They aren’t leaving the conference with their academic peers, historic rivals, close trips for games, most of their alumni/student body for a couple million more in the big 12 because “money talks.” An athletic director would probably get laughed out of the room by the president if he came into a meeting and said he thinks they should join the big 12 because they make a couple extra million a year in conference distribution. That is minuscule compared to what they are worried about.

The misconception is that the ACC and Big 12 make more revenue than the Pac 12. That is factually not true at all. The Pac 12 is actually third in revenue generation, albeit about 250 million less than the BIG. The problem being expenses. The Pac 12 expenses are extremely higher than the ACC and Big 12 because of the stupid Pac 12 networks and how terribly Larry Scott is at running the conference.

The misconception is that the ACC and Big 12 make more revenue than the Pac 12. That is factually not true at all. The Pac 12 is actually third in revenue generation, albeit about 250 million less than the BIG. The problem being expenses. The Pac 12 expenses are extremely higher than the ACC and Big 12 because of the stupid Pac 12 networks and how terribly Larry Scott is at running the conference.
Well all that may be true, but least Larry Scott has empathy. You can't put a dollar value on that.

The biggest issue is the pac 12 could have gone with a big 12 model where the tier three rights were negotiated individually and it wouldn’t make much difference on the bottom line for the bottom half of the conference but it would allow the bigger schools like usc, ucla, Washington and oregon to make more money and keep them happy. Basically there were a couple missteps by Larry Scott to begin. Before going all in on the packaged tier three rights he should have made sure they were able to lock in deals. For example a deal with directv would double the amount of money each schools gets from tier three rights. Instead he thought it would all go smoothly with the massive amount of programming and it causes expenses to be a lot higher than they should have been and the revenue was almost cut in half. If he would have figured out the actual desire or sign a shorter deal in order to see how it all worked out we would be in a totally different situation right now.

the big 12 does make more money than the pac 12 per school but it’s not some game changing amount and as we have discussed before if they add teams it will actual hurt their per team distributions. The ACC makes less they just have had success with Clemson and their basketball programs.

For demanding that huge salary to also be a “media exec” Scott really ****ed everything up at the beginning.

The biggest issue is the pac 12 could have gone with a big 12 model where the tier three rights were negotiated individually and it wouldn’t make much difference on the bottom line for the bottom half of the conference but it would allow the bigger schools like usc, ucla, Washington and oregon to make more money and keep them happy. Basically there were a couple missteps by Larry Scott to begin. Before going all in on the packaged tier three rights he should have made sure they were able to lock in deals. For example a deal with directv would double the amount of money each schools gets from tier three rights. Instead he thought it would all go smoothly with the massive amount of programming and it causes expenses to be a lot higher than they should have been and the revenue was almost cut in half. If he would have figured out the actual desire or sign a shorter deal in order to see how it all worked out we would be in a totally different situation right now.

the big 12 does make more money than the pac 12 per school but it’s not some game changing amount and as we have discussed before if they add teams it will actual hurt their per team distributions. The ACC makes less they just have had success with Clemson and their basketball programs.

For demanding that huge salary to also be a “media exec” Scott really ****ed everything up at the beginning.
Good points, thanks. It does give me hope that the Pac 12 does have value and with the right person negotiating, I do think the Pac 12 could narrow the gap with the BIG and SEC, somewhat. However, I fear the damage is done as the ESPN owned SEC has gone on an absolute tear on the Pac 12 and its Schools. I think that is going to influence the media market massively in this next round.

This all really boils down to getting the right person as the commissioner and the Pac 12 could potentially get itself out of this hole. That and USC getting their **** together.

Each Big 12 school save Oklahoma & Texas has a deal with ESPN+ to carry their third tier media rights. Supposed CU stayed in the Big 12, we would be able to see most CU sports on ESPN+. I would recommend ESPN+ to anyone out there without hesitation.

Is it just me or does it seem like overall recruiting has declined in the Pac-12 due to poor distribution of the P12N? I think having the P12N on ESPN+ would have been a game-changer and I'm seriously questioning the decision to reject ESPN's deal that would have extended the media rights deal with the P12 well into the 2030s. It's like advertising where it just takes one impulse decision to buy a product after repeatedly seeing that product advertisement multiple times. We have many products that we love to consume such as sports, videogames, movies, clothes, restaurants, etc so there is a lot of competition for those dollars.

I think it is time to stop worrying about how much money the P12 is going to get and focus on distribution and if anyone can see P12 athletic events, the money will eventually come as in better contracts. I hope we get shorter deals because what ticks me off is that we still have four more athletic seasons after the 20-21 season with that lousy media rights deal. That's why I'm still questioning the decision to reject the ESPN offer even if keeping all ownership of the third tier rights could pay off big down the road.

How many fans and potential earnings has the P12 lost due to the collective stupidity of the conference's presidents & chancellors? That Arizona football coach hiring disaster is a microcosm of that collective ineptitude.

I cant find the article on this buyout. Is this a done deal yet?

Nba Playoffs Reaction GIF by NBA

Back