What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So you are telling me there's a chance for Dinwiddie's return:

If it was up to Spencer he would have left last year for the NBA. He didn't get the info that he would be taken when he wanted to be so he stayed. He is going to realize his dream of playing in the NBA, that I have no doubt. However I think there are some CU fans who honestly think it would be in his best interest to stay. Its not always selfish.

Spencer has given CU his all for 3 years. He even ended up sacrificing his knee trying to propel us to heights we haven't ever seen around here. He will end up with a cult following around these parts wherever he goes. You are wrong in assuming that everyone who wants him to stay are being selfish and just want CU to be better. Some, like myself, think that if he gets a 2nd round rating it would be in his better interests to return. That is my own personal opinion and it has to do with his future stability not with anything to do with the CU Basketball program.
Agree. We all want Spencer to be a perennial NBA All Star and ambassador of CU Basketball for years to come. I don't think it's clear that leaving this year, regardless of draft grade, is the fastest way to get there. Regardless of what he chooses, he has my support and I look forward to a future, "Mayor's Night" at the Keg when his number is placed up in the rafters.

Why does everybody want him to come back again? Is it because you can't see through your own selfishness to realize that a 20 year old kid had his his life dream within reach and then taken away? That he's doing everything to try to make that dream a reality. That CU is a back-up plan. If you have "hope" in this scenario that he returns to CU, it means you hate a college kids dream.

Spencer - get good info, get healthy, go to the NBA, get paid and represent the Buffs well in the NBA.

JG, I get the going pro thing. But some of us can certainly hope that he comes back to CU next and exits in '15 as a top ten pick with a juicy contract instead of a mid round 2nd. :slayer:

That's not the argument though - even he has said if he isn't going in the 1st rd he'll come back. The point is that we should want him to go in the first round and not come back.

I don't think I have seen anyone claiming that if Spencer receives the 1st round evaluation that he should stay. Most seem to think, and know that if he has that 1st round eval, he is gone and should be.

He is playing it smart. If he has any chance of going in the first round he is gone. Heck he might go if he has any chance of being drafted at all. The kid has a lot of confidence and he knows that recovering in the NBA and proving himself there is better than doing the same thing at Colorado.

Also the fact he is off crutches means nothing. Different doctors have different preferences. Some like patients to be on crutches for 5 weeks and other are 5 days. It just means he had the 5 week doctor.

So help me God, I discussed it briefly with Dre but stupidly didn't enforce it, but if ANYONE bashes/questions/does anything but support Spencer if/when he declares for the draft, they're getting banned. I don't care if everyone in the NBA says "you're dumb to go pro", if he declares then this board will support him. The Dre thing pissed me off too much last summer.

So help me God, I discussed it briefly with Dre but stupidly didn't enforce it, but if ANYONE bashes/questions/does anything but support Spencer if/when he declares for the draft, they're getting banned. I don't care if everyone in the NBA says "you're dumb to go pro", if he declares then this board will support him. The Dre thing pissed me off too much last summer.
THISGONBGUD.gif

Why does everybody want him to come back again? Is it because you can't see through your own selfishness to realize that a 20 year old kid had his his life dream within reach and then taken away? That he's doing everything to try to make that dream a reality. That CU is a back-up plan. If you have "hope" in this scenario that he returns to CU, it means you hate a college kids dream.

Spencer - get good info, get healthy, go to the NBA, get paid and represent the Buffs well in the NBA.

You're just picking a fight to pick a fight.

That's what everyone said about Marcus Smart. The latest ESPN mock draft had him going #14. Now, he won't go that low, but he's going to go somewhere between 5-7. He would have been #2 at worst last year.

I'm a big believer in going pro as soon as you can. There's no upside.

Everyone also thought it was a bad decision that he stay because this year's draft has much more talent. In the grand scheme of things, Smart made another dumb decision.

I think if Spencer stays he would have a chance at a top ten pick in next year's draft. Whereas this year I think he is sitting on the cusp of the first round.

Most I said last year with Dre was that it was disappointing that he declared and wasn't even being talked about as an early 2nd round pick. Obviously, things changed late in the process. But if Spencer declared and was being talked about in the 2nd round, I'd hope those reports were wrong and would be disappointed if that wasn't the case.

Sounds like he is weighing all of his options. I do think he will be on somebody board, as far as getting a first round grade. It's just likely to be a minority position (2-3 teams), and a question of whether that team is either going to be in position to draft him, willing to trade up to get him, doesn't take a PG that they have higher then him earlier in the draft.

I do think the possibility of getting hurt again is a big risk on his end. The mental aspect of getting healthy is hard to predict. He could lower his stock by staying and either getting hurt again or not being 100% yet.

:boo:

Goose, if this is sarcasm, I apologize for missing it -- I've posted here before that I'm somewhat autistic when it comes to detecting sarcasm in electronic media. If that's the case here, I'll fall on that sword again.

If this isn't sarcasm, I'm disappointed. Your comment is reflective of over-moderation (censorship) that I've felt ruined the conversation on other sports message boards. I mean, f**k, if, on a fan-site message board, members can't piss and moan about their favorite player leaving early, or even "question the decision", then really, what's the point? I wasn't here for the Dre discussion last year, based on your post I can assume the topic was very disruptive on AB; I understand that one of the role of mods is to protect the culture and business of the board, but threatening to ban people for doing "anything but support [SD's decision]" seems over-the-top from my perspective. Especially when I consider your posting history, I know you're more than capable of posting a logical, fact-based argument to counter opinions that you don't agree with.

So much for that hippy-commie "Allbuffs is a site for the fans, by the fans" dribble that Buffnik was spewing! I like the way you led with a prayer, however.

:boo:

Goose, if this is sarcasm, I apologize for missing it -- I've posted here before that I'm somewhat autistic when it comes to detecting sarcasm in electronic media. If that's the case here, I'll fall on that sword again.

If this isn't sarcasm, I'm disappointed. Your comment is reflective of over-moderation (censorship) that I've felt ruined the conversation on other sports message boards. I mean, f**k, if, on a fan-site message board, members can't piss and moan about their favorite player leaving early, or even "question the decision", then really, what's the point? I wasn't here for the Dre discussion last year, based on your post I can assume the topic was very disruptive on AB; I understand that one of the role of mods is to protect the culture and business of the board, but threatening to ban people for doing "anything but support [SD's decision]" seems over-the-top from my perspective. Especially when I consider your posting history, I know you're more than capable of posting a logical, fact-based argument to counter opinions that you don't agree with.

So much for that hippy-commie "Allbuffs is a site for the fans, by the fans" dribble that Buffnik was spewing! I like the way you led with a prayer, however.

you take goose too seriously.

Stop hoping. He gone.
DraftExpress has him going in the 1st round in the 2015 draft, and they rely on a lot of insider information. I tend to trust their judgments when it comes to the draft. But then again, a lot can change from now until the declare deadline so we'll see, either way I'll support him.

NBA money and realized dreams are good and everything.

But, man oh man, Boyle's team would do some damage next year with the Mayor holding court at CU.[/not sarcasm]

Can't we work with The SEC's NCAA compliance experts and find some loopholes? Maybe a new house and new car for his family would be a fair exchange for one more year. [/sarcasm]

If Spencer goes pro, bashing him (personal attacks on his character) won't be tolerated.

Otherwise, the debate does get tiresome as it's rehashed every year with a new guy. For the mods and the regular posters, there's some burnout on that conversation that probably causes us to be bigger dicks than usual.

If Spencer goes pro, bashing him (personal attacks on his character) won't be tolerated.
[MENTION=7737]hokiehead[/MENTION] What Buffnik is saying here is the key. It's one thing to express your disappointment in losing our best player, it's another thing entirely to condemn a young man for realizing HIS dream and making a career decision. The former is tolerated and even expected, the latter is not.

There's a difference between attacking him personally and not agreeing with the decision. Hell, even Tad was very public with whole Dre thing. He clearly disagreed with it, and felt it was a case of Dre getting incorrect information.

Why does anyone assume he can even come back 100% next year? He'd be at 10 months recovery by the time the season starts. Nerlens Noel injured his ACL even earlier and he is sitting out his entire rookie year. How long did it take Derrick Rose to play? Coming back would mean taking a chance that he actually plays better and recovers on time.

Why does anyone assume he can even come back 100% next year? He'd be at 10 months recovery by the time the season starts. Nerlens Noel injured his ACL even earlier and he is sitting out his entire rookie year. How long did it take Derrick Rose to play? Coming back would mean taking a chance that he actually plays better and recovers on time.

After 12months it is 100% mental. Rose still doesn't trust his knee. Its unfortunate because he could be so good for the Bulls.

I don't assume he will. There's a lot of complicated elements to his decision, for sure. He could come back and elevate his stock, or it could diminish his stock completely. He could leave early for the draft and get some guaranteed money, or teams could really shy away from him or not be willing to give a guaranteed deal.

Personally, I think it's more likely he elevates his stock (even a completely healthy Spencer in the Chicago combine would probably do that), but really can't fault a kid that's worried an injury might kill his dream entirely.

[MENTION=7737]hokiehead[/MENTION] What Buffnik is saying here is the key. It's one thing to express your disappointment in losing our best player, it's another thing entirely to condemn a young man for realizing HIS dream and making a career decision. The former is tolerated and even expected, the latter is not.

Agree. personal attacks on players waaay not cool. My comments are aligned with your thoughts -- I think Goose went a bit too far with threatening to ban those who even questioned the decision.

you take goose too seriously.

Point taken. Sword propped, point-up. Autistic guy falls.

Is Spencer going to be a top 10 pick? I get what you are saying but I do think there's a big difference when someone is such a high pick that teams won't care about taking a chance on them.

Is Spencer going to be a top 10 pick? I get what you are saying but I do think there's a big difference when someone is such a high pick that teams won't care about taking a chance on them.
I am curious if what is going on with Rose and Nerlens will hurt Spencer's chances of having his current draft stock go up.

I think Spencer ends up coming back for his senior year.

And I feel kind of bad for him since he could have gone to the NBA after his sophomore year.

Wishing him the best and fulfillment of his dreams. Important thing to keep in mind here is that as a big PG, his best NBA years are likely in his late 20s and 30s... not as a 20 year old anyway.

Agree. personal attacks on players waaay not cool. My comments are aligned with your thoughts -- I think Goose went a bit too far with threatening to ban those who even questioned the decision.

I think Goose's comments were more directed at the sour grapes posters whose responses to Dre going pro were essentially “Get used to the D-League buses", “Enjoy Europe" or “He'll never see the NBA." A lot of the responses were way over the top for a kid presented with the chance to fulfill his dream.

Back