What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sppppprrrruuuuuuccceeee

Now he is showing all the nfl its not speed that matters it is skill.

Speed matters, especially in the NFL. Spruce is an undrafted WR that has played one preseason game to date. He has a long way to go to make the team and if he doesn't it will be because of his speed.

I keep repeating myself here, but the 40 time can be misleading especially for receivers. How often do they have to run 40 yards in a straight line? Some deep threats do, of course, but I'll gladly take the guy who can get separation from the corner over the first five yards and make a living by being open for the short to intermediate throws. And you don't need blazing straight line speed over 40 yards for that.

And a guy like Spruce doesn't have to be as wide open as some others since he is very good at using his body to screen defenders from the ball and he has very strong hands. Once the ball is in his hands it is very hard to knock it out.

Spruce doesn't have a "long way to go", he's very likely to make the team if he keeps it up. The Rams made him the 3rd highest paid UDFA, he's in a very solid place on the early depth chart, and their QBs zeroed in on him as soon as he was on the field (most targets with 8). You constantly hear good things from camp from coaches to casual observers to anyone really. All I'm saying is he's clearly on pace to make the team. Honestly don't know how anyone would bet against the guy at this point.

Spruce doesn't have a "long way to go", he's very likely to make the team if he keeps it up. The Rams made him the 3rd highest paid UDFA, he's in a very solid place on the early depth chart, and their QBs zeroed in on him as soon as he was on the field (most targets with 8). You constantly hear good things from camp from coaches to casual observers to anyone really. All I'm saying is he's clearly on pace to make the team. Honestly don't know how anyone would bet against the guy at this point.

This^^^ He does not have a long way to go. The problem with that some scouts when going through draft combines, they just pay attention to the 40 yd dash etc. That is why many teams continue to have top picks year after year....because they s.uck at evaluating talent so they keep s.ucking. I mean look at cleveland.

Not sure that any of us really have our finger on the pulse of what the Rams front office is planning to do with their roster, but Spruce just needs to keep balling out. Even if LA lets him go, if he can continue to perform like he did in that game, some other team will definitely swoop in and pick him up.

Last edited:
Spruce is too good not to play. I just hope it's with the Rams. His home team and would serve him so well in terms of future success in SoCal. There is a lot of support for anything LA Rams now

Well it was damn fun to watch. He keeps producing every week, even if they end up cutting him, somebody will pick him up. Good start for him and Nik he damn sure should've been drafted imho. Yeah, his speed is probably why he didn't get drafted but how he gets out of routes offsets that a bit. He's not gonna take the top off your D often but that's not who he is anyway. I was surprised at his strength too.
I have a question about slot receivers in general. Does speed really matter that much? Isn't the idea to get open within the first 10 yds of scrimmage, use your body to block out an LB or CB, have good hands and maybe make a little more after that? Seems Spruce is perfect for that.

I have a question about slot receivers in general. Does speed really matter that much? Isn't the idea to get open within the first 10 yds of scrimmage, use your body to block out an LB or CB, have good hands and maybe make a little more after that? Seems Spruce is perfect for that.

Pretty much my point exactly. It's about getting separation over the first 5-10 yards, not whether you can win a foot race with the DB 40 yards down the field. If you can get separation from the DB and have decent hands, there's a role for you in this league.

Pretty much my point exactly. It's about getting separation over the first 5-10 yards, not whether you can win a foot race with the DB 40 yards down the field. If you can get separation from the DB and have decent hands, there's a role for you in this league.
So jobuff was right when it comes to talent evaluation...his comment about Cleveland was salient. What I don't get is how all 32 teams could miss such a great talent. Oh well...Nelson will prove them all wrong!

Rams will have to keep him on the roster if they want to keep him. He won't clear waivers and make it to their practice squad.

Just what Jens said, echo that sentiment, he just said it better.

I don't know why some of you think he is going to be cut. He over shadowed suck bag Goff. He was the star of the whole game and he only played half of a quarter.

I don't know why some of you think he is going to be cut. He over shadowed suck bag Goff. He was the star of the whole game and he only played half of a quarter.

Guy's like that get cut every year. Think Nelson will stick, though.

Everyone here loves Nelson and he was a great Buff. He was playing against a lot of cowboy players who wont be around in 3 weeks.
Hope he can make the team and live out his dream.

His work ethic and ability to make plays will get him on a roster somewhere.
Show some faith.

The reason he was undrafted is because scouts are looking for stability in their job and they're playing hte odds.
Get the kid with the blinding speed and there's less room for error. If he can't catch you can say, 'well he was very fast.'
Get a slower kid who can't catch and suddenlty you're known as the guy who can't see talent.
Get a sloer kid who can catch and play, and the bosses call it luck or a windfall.

Nelson will make a fine career in the NFL for several years. He can play.

IIRC, the guy for whom the best CFB receiver award is named wasn't exactly a speed demon ... but was more of the Welker/Stokley/Spruce type. He must have done okay, getting an award named after him and all.

Biletnikoff,Fred16.jpg

Yeah, L, I agree to some extent.

That receiver for whom the award is named wasn't big and fast. He did run great routes, understood defenses, and had earned the trust of his qb's. But ....

He did play in the stickum era.

That's what I was getting at mainly, U don't call 9 routes for Nelson at that level. Maybe every now and again but that's not what he is. If he gets deep, it's gonna be off a broken play or pull a sneaky play every so often. Imho, use what he has and the really good coaches do exactly that.

Yeah, L, I agree to some extent.

That receiver for whom the award is named wasn't big and fast. He did run great routes, understood defenses, and had earned the trust of his qb's. But ....

He did play in the stickum era.

Good point ... but as you say, he was great at running routes and recognizing coverages. And even with stickum, you needed to be in the right spot to catch the ball, and he was great at getting to those spots and separating from coverage. That's how I see Spruce ... and he don't need no ****ing stickum to actually catch the ball. :)

He does exactly all what you say are his strengths in that one route and catch in that highlight.

He certainly is making the most of his opportunity!
I've tried to find anything on Nembot as well. Has anyone seen anything about how he is doing!

Back