What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Football News

A healthy Sefo behind a solid OL would be good enough to win a lot of football games.....

He does have a quick release, is very accurate when not being clobbered. Don't think he can throw down the field well enough to be an NFL QB though. Sort of like Peyton Manning more recently....

Based on my opinion only. I think if Webb gets hurt, Montez is the next guy in. I suppose a healthy Sefo might go in before Apsay. I didn't think Apsay played poorly last year. He has a strong arm and moves around in the pocket OK.

Based on my observations of CU football over the last 10 yrs, this is the nightmare scenario I've been dreading... As hyped as I was that we landed Webb, he very may have trouble staying healthy (why he lost the TT job in the 1st place).

I'm guessing he gets to 5 wins and the brink of bowl eligibiltiy and then gets hurt. They'll call on Sefo who will be oh-so close in a couple of games and then finally throw the back-breaking INT against Utah in the season finale that keeps us out of the postseason because that's how we roll...

Based on my observations of CU football over the last 10 yrs, this is the nightmare scenario I've been dreading... As hyped as I was that we landed Webb, he very may have trouble staying healthy (why he lost the TT job in the 1st place).

I'm guessing he gets to 5 wins and the brink of bowl eligibiltiy and then gets hurt. They'll call on Sefo who will be oh-so close in a couple of games and then finally throw the back-breaking INT against Utah in the season finale that keeps us out of the postseason because that's how we roll...
ARRRGGGGHHHHH......

I saw George Frazier last night at the hoops game.
My god MM needs to get that kid on the field. Anywhere. We don't have enough like him and we seem to be squandering one of the few that we have.

I saw George Frazier last night at the hoops game.
My god MM needs to get that kid on the field. Anywhere. We don't have enough like him and we seem to be squandering one of the few that we have.

Thinks its more like Frazier needs to get himself on the field. The opportunity at TE/FB/DE is there. He needs to take it.

Sefo first start : 17-32, 53% Comp., 6.625 ypa, 1 INT, 1 TD.
Apsay first start: 26-40, 65% Comp., 5.95 ypa, 2 INT, 0 TD.

Not too terribly different. I am not sure Apsay isn't, or couldn't be a better option. The hard question is, we know what we have with Sefo. We don't know how much more Apsay could improve. It seems to me without a substantial upgrade at QB, CU will remain about where they are. The million dollar question is who, if anybody on the roster, represents that improvement?

Not even apples and oranges, more like apples and rotten bread as a comparison.

We weren't good when Apsay went in but Sefo took over in the middle of a mid-air collision. Apsay had a full year in the system before he went in, Sefo had been here for a few weeks.

This isn't to say that Apsay is bad or couldn't be better than Sefo but you are reading a lot into a stat line.

My hope is that Webb can take the job and run with it. Apsay is good enough to be a decent backup allowing them to have more time to develop Montez without forcing him into a situation he isn't ready for. If it turns out he is ready to be the back-up and handle it so much the better, get him live experience but I don't want it to be forced.

Let Sefo get healthy and then let the chips fall where they may in two years.

Thinks its more like Frazier needs to get himself on the field. The opportunity at TE/FB/DE is there. He needs to take it.

Could be. I'll defer to your knowledge of the situation. However, FB and TE seem to be specific areas of de-emphasis in this offense so I'd like to see him moved to defense where he seemed to do well as a freshman.

When we played WSU, I had the thought that Apsay would be pretty good in their system. Quick reads, quick throws. He seems accurate and very quick with his release. They don't stand in the Pocket much, it's boom - boom.

Can't wait to see what we are trying to do this spring with our offense.

It appears I am in the minority when I say I prefer a healthy Sefo. I think his shoulder was a big part of why he seemed to peak lower this year. His toughness partnered with health and a quick release could put him in the NFL if he can make it all click.
I totally believe Sefo's shoulder was never right after it was separated.

Sefo has a quick release and is accurate?
Yes, when given time. Look at his mechanics and he does not have a long drawn out motion. He has a quick (and accurate) release.

What is slow about Sefo is finding someone to throw to, and getting thru progressions. He's as slow as I've ever seen.

That's not the same thing.

Yes, when given time. Look at his mechanics and he does not have a long drawn out motion. He has a quick (and accurate) release.

What is slow about Sefo is finding someone to throw to, and getting thru progressions. He's as slow as I've ever seen.

That's not the same thing.

Pretty average release, average arm, and average accuracy. The only above average trait in Sefo's game is toughness.

I totally believe Sefo's shoulder was never right after it was separated.
I agree. He used to hit P Rich on a seam several times a game. This year, that wasn't there. So then was it separation, or lost arm strength to injury? Probably a bit of both, coupled with confidence in his receivers. I want it to work out for him.

Not even apples and oranges, more like apples and rotten bread as a comparison.

We weren't good when Apsay went in but Sefo took over in the middle of a mid-air collision. Apsay had a full year in the system before he went in, Sefo had been here for a few weeks.

This isn't to say that Apsay is bad or couldn't be better than Sefo but you are reading a lot into a stat line.

My hope is that Webb can take the job and run with it. Apsay is good enough to be a decent backup allowing them to have more time to develop Montez without forcing him into a situation he isn't ready for. If it turns out he is ready to be the back-up and handle it so much the better, get him live experience but I don't want it to be forced.

Let Sefo get healthy and then let the chips fall where they may in two years.
Yeah, apples and oranges, Sefo was behind a much better OL in '13 than what was out there when Apsay went in...

Yeah, apples and oranges, Sefo was behind a much better OL in '13 than what was out there when Apsay went in...

He may have had a couple of better individual linemen but that OL was a hot pile of steaming animal waste. It is why Wood got so pounded into the turf that he lost any confidence he had and needed to be benched.

Anyone who would say that Sefo had anything resembling a decent line when he came in is simply a Sefo hater looking for an excuse.

He may have had a couple of better individual linemen but that OL was a hot pile of steaming animal waste. It is why Wood got so pounded into the turf that he lost any confidence he had and needed to be benched.

Anyone who would say that Sefo had anything resembling a decent line when he came in is simply a Sefo hater looking for an excuse.

Holy crap, this is too funny. You have a MUCH different memory of why Connor Wood was benched than I do.

Do you EVER think the QB is at fault?

Sefo's main issues are his inabilities to look off a receiver, his inability to read a defense and taking too long to go through his progressions (when he actually does look off a receiver). He has average arm strength, average accuracy and is plain average. As others have said, his best trait is his toughness but toughness doesn't play in big boy P5 football.

I had seen all I needed from Sefo in a pathetic performance against an atrocious Hawaii team and then a performance that was below average against a CSU squad. We were saved by our defense.

Sefo has 3 seasons in this system. I see the same mistakes he made as a frosh this past season. The injury was a blessing in disguise. It allowed the Buffs to bring in a grad transfer and let Montez be the guy this offseason. If Montez is really all he has been hyped up to be, the chance to get another year under his belt where he puts on weight and doesn't get thrown to the wolves is good.

I know this was titles Spring Football News but it should be changed to Spring Football News and the continued QB debate.

So I will say spring allows us a big opportunity. If Montez looks like Shane Dillon and not Joel Klatt, we know we better get another transfer or stud recruit because we would then be likely stuck hoping and praying the rest of the team improves enough to make up for plain bad QB play. Not saying all can be determined by that but Dillon was super hyped and after a spring ball it was an uh oh moment. Hoping Montez isn't another uh oh and the Buffs have 2 QBs ahead of where we were in 2015.

Wow. Definitely wonder if we watched the same team in 2013, but no biggie.

I personally think it is weak minded to play the hate card. The old "you disagree so you just hate [fill in the blank]" line. Weak sauce. I think Sefo is a class act, a tough minded kid who just happens to have limitations and who has reached his upside. I really hope he gets out on the field long enough to break the all time passing yardage record, then that record will have legitimacy again.

CU needs more from the QB position IMO. But go ahead with the Sefo hater nonsense if you must.

Holy crap, this is too funny. You have a MUCH different memory of why Connor Wood was benched than I do.

Do you EVER think the QB is at fault?

Connor Wood was completely at fault. He was a guy who had spent multiple years in P5 programs, here and at Texas. He was physically what you would want in a QB, strong arm, tall, mobile enough, the prototype.

His problem was that he got put into a difficult situation and completely and totally fell apart. The line had something to do with it, he was hit often and he was hit hard. The offense around him was a mess. He was far from the first college QB to face that same situation and he crumbled like a saltine cracker under a truck tire.

Sefo was not supposed to be playing. He had been in a college system for a few weeks and was expected to be a guy needing development. He was supposed to sit and watch Embrees wonder boy until he was ready to take over. Instead he got thrown into the same burning manure pile that caused Wood to panic and fold and asked to turn it into something pleasant.

Sefo has some issues, some serious issues. He doesn't read defenses well, he don't go down the progressions, he has shown a tendancy to throw poorly timed passes to guys in the wrong color jersey.

We will never know what he would have been given a normal path to development but I do believe that much of Sefo's problems come from that early experience just trying to survive a situation he should never have been in. Why he has his weaknesses doesn't change the fact that he does have those weaknesses now.

I like him as a player and keep hoping that he will overcome the bad habits he formed and be closer to what we all hoped he could be when he came, each passing year makes that less likely.

Doesn't change the fact that comparing Apsay's first start to Sefo's first start is completely ridiculous. May be that the only fair comparison is to say that at this point neither one has shown much that keeps opponents defensive coordinators up at night.

"Connor Wood was completely at fault... except for being put in a bad spot and surrounded by awful teammates. "
-MtnBuff

Love how you twist something to fit your agenda.

Connor Wood should have been able to handle it, at least handle it a lot better than a raw freshman developmental project.

By your thinking if Sefo was any good we should have been in a bowl that season, after all its all on the QB, doesn't matter who he has around him, any decent QB would have won 7-8 games minimum that season with that team, a good one would have gotten us at least 10.

I'm not saying that Sefo is even an average PAC12 QB, his performance is well below that standard. What I am saying is that the situation he was put in would have led a lot of QBs to fail. He may have failed even with a quality OL and team around him but he never got that chance. I find it ridiculous that people like you act like CUs failures all fall on him. He gets his share but there is plenty of blame to go around

Twist something? You said it right in your post! You said Connor Wood was completely at fault and then threw his teammates under the bus. No agenda needed to see the obvious contradiction.

As far as "my thinking," Sefo rightfully took over for Wood after it was clear he was not a P5 caliber QB. The Oregon State game might well have been the worst starting QB performance of the last five years. Once that change happened, it was clear 2013 was pretty much lost and it was all about the future. Again, no real agenda. If anything, the agenda is on your end by portraying the 2013 offense as talentless.

Twist something? You said it right in your post! You said Connor Wood was completely at fault and then threw his teammates under the bus. No agenda needed to see the obvious contradiction.

As far as "my thinking," Sefo rightfully took over for Wood after it was clear he was not a P5 caliber QB. The Oregon State game might well have been the worst starting QB performance of the last five years. Once that change happened, it was clear 2013 was pretty much lost and it was all about the future. Again, no real agenda. If anything, the agenda is on your end by portraying the 2013 offense as talentless.

If the fault lies with anyone it falls on Hawkins/Embree for leaving a P5 program in a condition that required playing Sefo in that situation. Connor Wood was supposed to be a relative veteran. By the time the 2013 season started he should have been able to handle the situation. If not then there should have been another guy, a JC, a transfer, etc. to play. Not saying they would have won because the team was terrible but they would have managed and survived.

The 2013 offense had a very limited number of quality players, over all it stunk. We can argue all day but it was certainly not the kind of offense in which a raw true freshman QB was going to thrive.

My point is that Sefo never had the chance to get the normal development that he should have had. We will never know because it is purely hypothetical but I think that at least some of Sefo's problems would have been reduced had he been given a different start to his career. This doesn't mean that we should or can ignore his shortcomings now but aiming blame at him without putting it in context is simply not fair to him.

If the fault lies with anyone it falls on Hawkins/Embree for leaving a P5 program in a condition that required playing Sefo in that situation. Connor Wood was supposed to be a relative veteran. By the time the 2013 season started he should have been able to handle the situation. If not then there should have been another guy, a JC, a transfer, etc. to play. Not saying they would have won because the team was terrible but they would have managed and survived.

The 2013 offense had a very limited number of quality players, over all it stunk. We can argue all day but it was certainly not the kind of offense in which a raw true freshman QB was going to thrive.

My point is that Sefo never had the chance to get the normal development that he should have had. We will never know because it is purely hypothetical but I think that at least some of Sefo's problems would have been reduced had he been given a different start to his career. This doesn't mean that we should or can ignore his shortcomings now but aiming blame at him without putting it in context is simply not fair to him.
A QB that has played 3 seasons in PAC 12 play either has it or doesn't. Sefo doesn't have it. After 2 off-seasons he should have came out firing in 2015, but instead started with a thud. Sefo has beat two very ****ty PAC12 teams. The starter next year has already beat a PAC12 bowl team that kicks CUs ass. Going completely cold or putting us in a hole has been a regular theme with Sefo. It didn't change. This argument is as dumb as people believing Peyton Manning should come back next season. Peyton is done and Sefo has never had it. Simple. Easy. Quit making something out of something that has proven itself out.

A QB that has played 3 seasons in PAC 12 play either has it or doesn't. Sefo doesn't have it. After 2 off-seasons he should have came out firing in 2015, but instead started with a thud. Sefo has beat two very ****ty PAC12 teams. The starter next year has already beat a PAC12 bowl team that kicks CUs ass. Going completely cold or putting us in a hole has been a regular theme with Sefo. It didn't change. This argument is as dumb as people believing Peyton Manning should come back next season. Peyton is done and Sefo has never had it. Simple. Easy. Quit making something out of something that has proven itself out.

At what point did I say that Sefo should be our future. To the contrary, I stated that with each passing year it gets less likely that he overcomes the bad habits and negative issues that he has.

If Webb comes in next year and plays like we hope then we will see a significant step up at the position. The year after with a year to heal up Sefo could compete for a starting job again but hopefully Montez is what we have heard and Sefo ends his career as a veteran back-up.

I don't want to see future QBs, including Montez thrown into the fire before they are ready. I don't think that does the QB or the program any good.

I would also hope that we start taking steps forward on the OL and are better protecting and at running the ball. If we aren't then Bernardi needs to be on the next plane out of town and M2 may be sharing luggage because this team won't be winning no matter who the QB is.

Back