What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Football News

I think Adkins can be a nice option for 8-10 carries a game, but the talk of him being THE guy seems ridiculous considering his career to date.

I think Adkins can be a nice option for 8-10 carries a game, but the talk of him being THE guy seems ridiculous considering his career to date.
he isn't injury prone. anyways, back on topic. Spring is coming!

With Watanabe gone and Gillam out, we are really hurting at LB for the Spring. Obviously knew it was bad, but Lewis needs to hit the ground running in June. Likely need Jones to play early too.

What I do not really get about the Adkins hype is it amounts to about 5-6 good games (including Charleston Southern) over three years.

Over three years, Adkins has played meaningfully in 19 games. Of those, I would consider him to have been the most impressive back on CU in 12 of those games (2015 Hawaii, 2014 UW, 2014 UCLA, 2014 OSU, 2014 CSU, 2013 OSU, 2013 ASU, 2013 Charleston Southern, 2013 Arizona, 2013 USC, 2013 Utah, 2015 UMass (although the whole team rushed pretty well in that one))

That's basically a whole season, so we might pretend that it is. His "season statistics" for his best 12 games? 183 carries for 1,024 yards and 11 TDs. In the 2015 Pac 12, those numbers would have ranked 7th, 7th, and 6th. Further, he only crossed the 100 yard mark 4 times (one of those was Charleston Southern) and more than a 3rd of his TDs came in that same game.

So, if his absolute peak is about average for a #1 back in the Pac 12, remind me again why he's so valuable? especially when he has only played meaningful snaps in just over half his games here?

Over three years, Adkins has played meaningfully in 19 games. Of those, I would consider him to have been the most impressive back on CU in 12 of those games (2015 Hawaii, 2014 UW, 2014 UCLA, 2014 OSU, 2014 CSU, 2013 OSU, 2013 ASU, 2013 Charleston Southern, 2013 Arizona, 2013 USC, 2013 Utah, 2015 UMass (although the whole team rushed pretty well in that one))

That's basically a whole season, so we might pretend that it is. His "season statistics" for his best 12 games? 183 carries for 1,024 yards and 11 TDs. In the 2015 Pac 12, those numbers would have ranked 7th, 7th, and 6th. Further, he only crossed the 100 yard mark 4 times (one of those was Charleston Southern) and more than a 3rd of his TDs came in that same game.

So, if his absolute peak is about average for a #1 back in the Pac 12, remind me again why he's so valuable? especially when he has only played meaningful snaps in just over half his games here?

Solid analysis. The running game here has been in a sad state for all too long. I think the point that I and others have been making isn't that he's so valuable....only that when healthy, he's often our best back. As indicated in your statement above. When he's playing meaningful snaps, he's our best back more often than not. Is that saying that he's the answer....**** no. All it says is that he's a guy that shouldn't be counted out in favor of someone that hasn't played a snap here yet, and if he can get (and stay healthy), he likely could end up continuing as being our best back more often than not.

One thing's for sure, and frankly I could give a **** as to who does it....Adkins, Lindsay, Carr, etc. Our running game hasn't been good enough. The OL and at least a couple of these backs need to step it up this year.

With Watanabe gone and Gillam out, we are really hurting at LB for the Spring. Obviously knew it was bad, but Lewis needs to hit the ground running in June. Likely need Jones to play early too.

Passing along. Gilliam is in best shape, with nutritional input back to 228 already, and great attitude. Glide path is Fall as you mentioned. Injury history is what it is, but optimism high for a full comeback and potentially best form yet.

We are going to be thin in Spring, may see a surprise position change to help address LB shortage.

FIFY! You just have an "agenda', I know it!

But what about this: CU gets an actual, ya know, RBs COACH? To coach, ya know, running backs?
Maybe teach LIndsay to make that first cut and others like Carr, how to read and react, as well as block as a running backs??? A novel concept, I know.......but......might be worth a try?
That too. Amen.

I know this had been mentioned before, but I just want to reiterate. A much crap as Sefo got from all of us, the one thing no one can question is his toughness. The kid played with some awful olines, took huge hits, and always got right back up. Was he the most gifted QB to ever play at CU? Not even close. But I respect him for always going out there and fighting.

I don't think you need to officially redshirt Sefo. I think he just might not be good enough to see the field this year. Webb, Montez and Apsay will all get live game snaps before he will, and that's if he's healthy.

I don't think you need to officially redshirt Sefo. I think he just might not be good enough to see the field this year. Webb, Montez and Apsay will all get live game snaps before he will, and that's if he's healthy.
This seems a bit unlikely to me. HCMM obviously likes Sefo a LOT more than apsay. Objectively, apsay wasn't good in relief until he went down. Montez is completely untested and an acknowledged project.

I know this had been mentioned before, but I just want to reiterate. A much crap as Sefo got from all of us, the one thing no one can question is his toughness. The kid played with some awful olines, took huge hits, and always got right back up. Was he the most gifted QB to ever play at CU? Not even close. But I respect him for always going out there and fighting.
Agreed. Sefo is one tough dude.

This seems a bit unlikely to me. HCMM obviously likes Sefo a LOT more than apsay. Objectively, apsay wasn't good in relief until he went down. Montez is completely untested and an acknowledged project.
Sefo first start : 17-32, 53% Comp., 6.625 ypa, 1 INT, 1 TD.
Apsay first start: 26-40, 65% Comp., 5.95 ypa, 2 INT, 0 TD.

Not too terribly different. I am not sure Apsay isn't, or couldn't be a better option. The hard question is, we know what we have with Sefo. We don't know how much more Apsay could improve. It seems to me without a substantial upgrade at QB, CU will remain about where they are. The million dollar question is who, if anybody on the roster, represents that improvement?

Sefo first start : 17-32, 53% Comp., 6.625 ypa, 1 INT, 1 TD.
Apsay first start: 26-40, 65% Comp., 5.95 ypa, 2 INT, 0 TD.

Not too terribly different. I am not sure Apsay isn't, or couldn't be a better option. The hard question is, we know what we have with Sefo. We don't know how much more Apsay could improve. It seems to me without a substantial upgrade at QB, CU will remain about where they are. The million dollar question is who, if anybody on the roster, represents that improvement?
This is a really weird analysis. This isn't HCMM's first year. it's his do or die year. He will not be playing for the future with Cade apsay.

This is a really weird analysis. This isn't HCMM's first year. it's his do or die year. He will not be playing for the future with Cade apsay.
I was merely commenting on your comparison of Sefo and Apsay. I sincerely doubt Apsay will be the starter this year. Unless we are all seriously mistaken, it will be Webb. If Webb is not what he is anticipated to be ( a difference maker that aids CU to a bowl), it won't matter, there will be a coaching change IMO. After that, and assuming MikMac survives because the team turns the corner, who will be behind center? That was more where I was going.

This spring is going to answer one question: Who is the top QB on the spring roster and is he the QB of the future for the Buffs.

Apsay and Montez should be getting 1a and 1b billing and have a big chance to show everyone where they are at.

Expect to see the same on the O-Line. I hear it will be pretty competitive. Some young guys are not preparing themselves to be used only in emergency time. There's jobs up for grabs.

I was merely commenting on your comparison of Sefo and Apsay. I sincerely doubt Apsay will be the starter this year. Unless we are all seriously mistaken, it will be Webb. If Webb is not what he is anticipated to be ( a difference maker that aids CU to a bowl), it won't matter, there will be a coaching change IMO. After that, and assuming MikMac survives because the team turns the corner, who will be behind center? That was more where I was going.
I don't get your comment then. It's... useless in the context of the discussion about Sefo playing this year.

Based on my opinion only. I think if Webb gets hurt, Montez is the next guy in. I suppose a healthy Sefo might go in before Apsay. I didn't think Apsay played poorly last year. He has a strong arm and moves around in the pocket OK.

Based on my opinion only. I think if Webb gets hurt, Montez is the next guy in. I suppose a healthy Sefo might go in before Apsay. I didn't think Apsay played poorly last year. He has a strong arm and moves around in the pocket OK.

Montez would be a lot easier to throw into a game considering he has running ability.

I was the biggest supporter of the offer and signing of Montez based on my watching him throw the ball at a camp while wearing shorts a few summers ago.

But I must say, the legend of this kid has grown beyond what I'm comfortable with given he's yet to do anything. I'd feel better after watching him practice in pads! Maybe even against live hitting!

It appears I am in the minority when I say I prefer a healthy Sefo. I think his shoulder was a big part of why he seemed to peak lower this year. His toughness partnered with health and a quick release could put him in the NFL if he can make it all click.

Back