What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Football News

Look, my stance once they hired Jim Leavitt as DC was always that MM would not be fired after 2015, regardless of record. With even more staff changes in key areas this offseason, my stance is beginning to be the same. I just don't see RG allowing MM to continue to slowly and incrementally upgrade his staff, with the vision that this is a one year proposition for them.
LOL

So every time staff changes are made, it means the head coach is granted more job security? That is an interesting hypothesis.

Again, the coaches being brought in have been around the block. They know the deal and are gambling on it working out in 2016. They also know they will have options should it not work out at CU. The coaches with the most to lose are the guys who came with MacIntyre originally.
Not in every or even most situations, but I believe ours is unique. It's just my hypothesis, and it's probably wrong.

Look, my stance once they hired Jim Leavitt as DC was always that MM would not be fired after 2015, regardless of record. With even more staff changes in key areas this offseason, my stance is beginning to be the same. I just don't see RG allowing MM to continue to slowly and incrementally upgrade his staff, with the vision that this is a one year proposition for them.
This is the nature of college football. These coaches understand that if they don't produce, they will likely be fired.

I appreciate that HCMM is making the improvements - they are badly needed.... but it implies nothing of his job security. Let's also remember that Leavitt was damaged goods and needed to prove himself again, and Chev got a nice promotion to come here.

I meant, Leavitt, Wilson, Chiv and whoever the other new hire is going to be. Putting all this effort into hiring all these new coaches for 1 year and then firing the HC and starting from scratch? Something tells me this is truly a LONG term play with the staff.
Throw Tumpkin in there too. I really like the attitude toward recruiting that Chev brings. His stated opinion about position coaches closing their own position players is right on and means no more recruiting dead wood. All coaches will be held accountable for mediocre recruiting. I still hope we upgrade the OL recruiting by bringing in an OL force like Chev or Leavitt; but if it lights a fire under Bernardi that works too.
Also, Chev is a great example of the passion that an Alum player can bring to the coaching staff here.

Throw Tumpkin in there too. I really like the attitude toward recruiting that Chev brings. His stated opinion about position coaches closing their own position players is right on and means no more recruiting dead wood. All coaches will be held accountable for mediocre recruiting. I still hope we upgrade the OL recruiting by bringing in an OL force like Chev or Leavitt; but if it lights a fire under Bernardi that works too.
Also, Chev is a great example of the passion that an Alum player can bring to the coaching staff here.
have an offer out there for a 17 recruit #1 center in Texas, good start

I.... don't understand. This is a silly position to take.
WRONG! Its the smart position. RG is smart. He knows that stability breeds long term success. Not flipping HCs every 2-4 years. And besides, he has a "continuity" potential HC already in his pocket in JL, with a DC in Tumpkin and OC in DCh. Ready-made for a big switch if necessary, without losing a step in continuity.

I'm hopeful that HCMM is now fully focused on all aspects of this team, now that the burden of his father's illness has passed. (Personally been there and done that, so don't discount how much that can weigh on one's mind and distract you from the details.)

Not in every or even most situations, but I believe ours is unique. It's just my hypothesis, and it's probably wrong.

He gave MacIntyre a fourth year. That is more than enough commitment for results to date. I think it is important to point out that Leavitt and Chiaverini both had good reasons to take the jobs with uncertainty surrounding the long-term future of the HC.

It seems to me Leavitt really enjoys the recruiting aspect of his job. If he were to become a head coach (here or elsewhere) that kind of gets taken away from him. It would be nice if Mac turned it around and Leavitt was happy as a DC and stuck around awhile too. That's probably way overly optimistic thinking.

He gave MacIntyre a fourth year. That is more than enough commitment for results to date. I think it is important to point out that Leavitt and Chiaverini both had good reasons to take the jobs with uncertainty surrounding the long-term future of the HC.
What was Chev's reason? You don't think he could have gone any number of places and been Co-OC or WRs coach? And I find it hard to believe that JL couldn't have found other work in the college game at a better situation than taking over the worst FBS defense in the country. What about Tumpkin, Wilson and the yet to be named new hire?

The coaches with the most to lose are the guys who came with MacIntyre originally.

I don't know why you keep saying that. The guys with the most to lose are the guys who just moved their family here who would need to uproot them again 11 months later. That's tough. The guys that were here for 4 years would have had a relatively stable time, and for asst. coaches & families, reasonable expectation they'd be moving around in that time frame.

Moving your family around is part of the job description and these people are used to it. It's not that hard when you are making that much money.

What was Chev's reason? You don't think he could have gone any number of places and been Co-OC or WRs coach? And I find it hard to believe that JL couldn't have found other work in the college game at a better situation than taking over the worst FBS defense in the country. What about Tumpkin, Wilson and the yet to be named new hire?

Chev got a nice promotion and I would guess a big pay bump (was making $180K at TT) while getting to return to his alma mater. Hard to know on Leavitt having many options in college, but I think he looked at it as an okay option to rehabilitate his college career.

Tumpkin was at CMU and the coach had just left for Arkansas. Even as a DC, he was making $132K. I imagine a chance to be back at a P5 school with uncertainty surrounding CMU was pretty appealing. Wilson? No idea. We shall see on the other hire.

Moving your family around is part of the job description and these people are used to it. It's not that hard when you are making that much money.
Of course. But 4 years>> 11 months to move your kids around.
My question was why are the guys being here the longest have the most to lose. Seems to me it is either a wash, or the guys here 4 years have less to lose.

I don't know why you keep saying that. The guys with the most to lose are the guys who just moved their family here who would need to uproot them again 11 months later. That's tough. The guys that were here for 4 years would have had a relatively stable time, and for asst. coaches & families, reasonable expectation they'd be moving around in that time frame.

Where do you think the career trajectories are headed for those coaches if CU fires them next season?

Chev got a nice promotion and I would guess a big pay bump (was making $180K at TT) while getting to return to his alma mater. Hard to know on Leavitt having many options in college, but I think he looked at it as an okay option to rehabilitate his college career.

Tumpkin was at CMU and the coach had just left for Arkansas. Even as a DC, he was making $132K. I imagine a chance to be back at a P5 school with uncertainty surrounding CMU was pretty appealing. Wilson? No idea. We shall see on the other hire.
Fair enough. Like I said, it's all just my thoughts on the situation and I'm probably wrong. We seem to have finally awoken to the idea that we need better coaches that recruit, and I would like to see what kind of results they can generate, but know that their true impact will not be felt in 2016.

Fair enough. Like I said, it's all just my thoughts on the situation. We seem to have finally awoken to the idea that we need better coaches that recruit, and I would like to see what kind of results they can generate, but know that their true impact will not be felt in 2016.

On a more basic level, if you are RG, there is no need box yourself in either way. Just let 2016 play out and go from there.

It seems to me Leavitt really enjoys the recruiting aspect of his job. If he were to become a head coach (here or elsewhere) that kind of gets taken away from him. It would be nice if Mac turned it around and Leavitt was happy as a DC and stuck around awhile too. That's probably way overly optimistic thinking.

Sure. But Leavitt is the kind of guy who would enjoy it if part of his job description was to help clean the garbage up around Folsom after games. Dude just rolls up his sleeves and goes to work with a passion. I think he'd have that light about him whether he as a HC, a coordinator or an NFL position coach. Just the way that guy's wired.

Not disagreeing with you on him loving to get out and recruit, but I don't think the changes to that would be something that would keep him from wanting to be a head coach.

All this shows me is how bad recruiters we had initially. I mean, they were really bad. The status of we can't recruit until we win games is pretty much put to bed with Chev/Leavitt.

On a more basic level, if you are RG, there is no need box yourself in either way. Just let 2016 play out and go from there.
Yeah, I was reading all these posts and was going to post something similar. RG, I'd imagine, fully expects to win this year and is approaching it that way. After next season, he will re-evaluate and make decisions accordingly. He does not have some grand scheme in mind. I don't think that's a good approach nor is it his style.

Fair enough. Like I said, it's all just my thoughts on the situation and I'm probably wrong. We seem to have finally awoken to the idea that we need better coaches that recruit, and I would like to see what kind of results they can generate, but know that their true impact will not be felt in 2016.
Likewise, RG can go get a new staff with better recruiters and coaches.... Leavitt and Chev and I guess Tumpkin are good coaches, but there are lots of P5 scores who have whole staff's that are like that.

Sure. But Leavitt is the kind of guy who would enjoy it if part of his job description was to help clean the garbage up around Folsom after games. Dude just rolls up his sleeves and goes to work with a passion. I think he'd have that light about him whether he as a HC, a coordinator or an NFL position coach. Just the way that guy's wired.

Not disagreeing with you on him loving to get out and recruit, but I don't think the changes to that would be something that would keep him from wanting to be a head coach.
I agree. Was actually going to say something similar about Leavitt loving anything he does. I think it has just been the offseason for long enough that I'm starting to feel a little hopeful again.

Likewise, RG can go get a new staff with better recruiters and coaches.... Leavitt and Chev and I guess Tumpkin are good coaches, but there are lots of P5 scores who have whole staff's that are like that.
And those staffs would leave their cushy jobs at USC, Oklahoma, OkieLight, or Florida to come here because? ? ? ? ? This attitude that RG would be able to just go out and hire this dream team staff is unrealistic.

I think MM continues to do just enough to keep his job. I never thought he'd be gone after 2015. I'm beginning to think he may not be gone after 2016 even if they fail to make a bowl game. It's not happening fast enough for all of us, but he can point to certain metrics that are improving every year. It also looks like we might see some actual regression from a few teams that are close to us over the next couple years (namely Utah, Arizona, OSU and UCLA).
We should be realistic about 2016. In order to get to a bowl, we will need 4-5 conference wins in one year. We have five conference wins in five years in the Pac 12. Let that sink in for a second.

I speculated that MikMac would be gone after this year. I was wrong. I now think there is a real possibility RG is thinking like Marolt and is going to give MikMac a much bigger window than most of suspect. If RG was going to pull the trigger early and get "his guy" then the time to do it was November 2015. He didn't and barring a 3-9 or worse outing next year, MikMac is here for the long haul.

I agree completely. If RG thought change for the sake of change was the right answer MM would not have been able to make the hires he's made. Other coaches would also use MM tentative situation against him in recruiting. Any yet we are starting to have serious progress in that department. I think MM is here for a couple more years based on the tea leaves.

I think MM continues to do just enough to keep his job. I never thought he'd be gone after 2015. I'm beginning to think he may not be gone after 2016 even if they fail to make a bowl game. It's not happening fast enough for all of us, but he can point to certain metrics that are improving every year. It also looks like we might see some actual regression from a few teams that are close to us over the next couple years (namely Utah, Arizona, OSU and UCLA).
We should be realistic about 2016. In order to get to a bowl, we will need 4-5 conference wins in one year. We have five conference wins in five years in the Pac 12. Let that sink in for a second.
I think you are more right, than wrong. I really thought MikMac would be canned after this year, IF RG were really looking for "his guy". MikMac was retained, and that says to me RG is likely settled in for the long haul. Stability can be a very good thing, unless it isn't. If Davis Webb comes and is all that he is billed, then I think the Buffs have an OUTSIDE chance at a bowl game. Without a huge upgrade at QB, it seems like CU probably ends up with a record very similar to this year's, maybe they pull the fifth win, but six is a tough hill to climb when you go to UM in the OOC, and UO, SC and Stanford are roadies. Add in CU has yet to beat ASU and the UCLA and WSU games are no gimmes. Six wins will be tough.

I think you are more right, than wrong. I really thought MikMac would be canned after this year, IF RG were really looking for "his guy". MikMac was retained, and that says to me RG is likely settled in for the long haul. Stability can be a very good thing, unless it isn't. If Davis Webb comes and is all that he is billed, then I think the Buffs have an OUTSIDE chance at a bowl game. Without a huge upgrade at QB, it seems like CU probably ends up with a record very similar to this year's, maybe they pull the fifth win, but six is a tough hill to climb when you go to UM in the OOC, and UO, SC and Stanford are roadies. Add in CU has yet to beat ASU and the UCLA and WSU games are no gimmes. Six wins will be tough.
Thanks Mtn!

Back