What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Football News

anyone think Mac is fired following the game if we lose to CSU? It'd give Leavitt a pretty decent chance to prove he would be the guy for the job.

With Chev as Co-OC, does anyone have hope this offense will be good enough to win next year? I have no opinion...just curious what others think.

With Chev as Co-OC, does anyone have hope this offense will be good enough to win next year? I have no opinion...just curious what others think.
For this discussion, I will assume Sefo is the starter next season. Lindgren, is supposedly a QB guru. He should have more time to work his magic on the QB's, with the addition of Chev. Chev should also be bringing in elements of TTU's offense that was one of the highest producing passing attacks in the nation. SHOULD all of that hold true, then yes, the offense should improve and we should be good enough to win more games.

anyone think Mac is fired following the game if we lose to CSU? It'd give Leavitt a pretty decent chance to prove he would be the guy for the job.

Nope.

Even if George decides to replace MacIntyre during the season, it won't be till the back 25% of the season.

I guess I'm a lot more positive than you negative ****ers.

I think we would need some people to step up and make a name for themselves. I think we need this Webb guy. If we dont get him we need Sefo to get healthy or Apsay or Montez to grow quickly. We need someone to be a WR. And for gods sake we need someone to block.

I think we would need some people to step up and make a name for themselves. I think we need this Webb guy. If we dont get him we need Sefo to get healthy or Apsay or Montez to grow quickly. We need someone to be a WR. And for gods sake we need someone to block.

So, in summary: We have a lot of needs. Hard to argue.

I think you are more right, than wrong. I really thought MikMac would be canned after this year, IF RG were really looking for "his guy". MikMac was retained, and that says to me RG is likely settled in for the long haul. Stability can be a very good thing, unless it isn't. If Davis Webb comes and is all that he is billed, then I think the Buffs have an OUTSIDE chance at a bowl game. Without a huge upgrade at QB, it seems like CU probably ends up with a record very similar to this year's, maybe they pull the fifth win, but six is a tough hill to climb when you go to UM in the OOC, and UO, SC and Stanford are roadies. Add in CU has yet to beat ASU and the UCLA and WSU games are no gimmes. Six wins will be tough.

Not denying that six wins looks tough, but that is basically the next step for progress. There needs to be at least one upset victory for a legitimate case for MM to be retained.

How effective we are on offense next year is going to depend mostly on how successful they are at improving the play of the OL as a unit.

We have a bunch of guys coming back who have a significant amount of playing experience. They should be a year stronger and more experienced but based on last year they needed to get a lot stronger and better. How healthy Irwin can come back will be a big factor. Hard to count on a guy who is coming off his second major injury in a short time but he is also our best lineman when healthy.

I don't see it happening with Sefo, regardless. IMO, it's up to Apsay, Montez or Webb if he comes. One of the key requirements for the spread to work well consistently is an accurate QB; Sefo very rarely hits a receiver in stride, hence the offense resembling a car out of time..

So, in summary: We have a lot of needs. Hard to argue.

Yes. Needs in terms of needing the guys in position to play to step up. If we depend on freshman were still ****ed.

For the record, I still believe we are getting better. But its going a lot slower than a lot of you are willing to accept. We wasted some time there too by not having legit recruiters on staff. And we were plugging holes in the lineup with talent that doesn't so far appear to be an upgrade over what we were left with post Embree / Hawkins. Its a slow grind.

I think that MM will be back in 2017 no matter what unless he wins fewer than three games. All of the same reasons that were used this year to retain him are also available next year, with the additional argument that the recruiting class will be large plus the fact that the 2016 schedule is clearly less favorable than the 2015 schedule. I frankly don't find it that hard to imagine the offseason rhetoric after a 2016 campaign of 4-8 being quite similar to what we heard this year.

I do think that he'll need to win at least six games in 2017 to be back in 2018, though.

Hopefully I'm wrong and wins are a criterion for 2016. We'll see.

IMO, outside of having a terrible season of less than 4 wins I think a lot of it depends on how recruiting is going. The biggest issue with mac is the recruiting and I personally believe he outperforms his talent on the roster so if he is making some serious improvements next year in talent level I could easily see RG bringing him back. I could also see RG moving forward if he gets to 6 wins and has a terrible recruiting class.

MacIntyre needs to make a bowl game.

It's actually pretty simple.

Maybe, I think it's a little more complicated than that since RG essentially has to decide if MM should be extended next offseason. That decision is based on a lot more than a bowl game with a junior and senior dominated team.

If this happens RG will be hammered by boosters. I would hope they move on and give Leavitt the rest of the year.

MacIntyre needs to make a bowl game.

It's actually pretty simple.

That's how I see it. While I'd be only moderately whelmed with a 6 win season and a bowl game, I also realize we don't achieve that modicum of success round these parts often, so he obviously stays in that universe. If he doesn't, I don't think even the most ardent defender can argue he deserves another year when he can barely secure P12 wins.

Or I guess because he has successfully hired actual human beings we can take that to mean that RG has told the staff they are guaranteed jobs so long as they're willing to show up and try for the foreseeable future. Pretty good work if you can get it I suppose.

I think there are levels of improvement between where we finished in 2015 and a bowl game. The trajectory can still be positive without that ever elusive bowl game. Hit any of those targets, and he stays, IMO. I don't think it's as black and white as "six wins or hit hit bricks".

How many kids come for the head coach? Isn't it usually their position coach, the person who recruited them, their coordinator or the school itself including facilities? Point being...if it isn't the HC (with a few big name exceptions)...how much would it matter if MM got canned next year. BTW...this is an honest question to all you a-holes who think I'm trolling. I don't know much about recruiting.

A bowl game very likely equals that MM coaches in 2017. Are there circumstances where he would continue to coach if they don't make a bowl game? I think if the staff is closing in on what appears to be a top 30 recruiting class, it would provide some cover for missing a bowl (not sure if it's enough cover, but some). OTOH, if we're staring at another losing season and another recruiting class ranked in the bottom 3 of the conference, I don't think MM makes it past the Monday following the Utah game, if he even gets that far.

I think that MM will be back in 2017 no matter what unless he wins fewer than three games. All of the same reasons that were used this year to retain him are also available next year, with the additional argument that the recruiting class will be large plus the fact that the 2016 schedule is clearly less favorable than the 2015 schedule. I frankly don't find it that hard to imagine the offseason rhetoric after a 2016 campaign of 4-8 being quite similar to what we heard this year.

I do think that he'll need to win at least six games in 2017 to be back in 2018, though.

Hopefully I'm wrong and wins are a criterion for 2016. We'll see.

I just can't imagine this scenario happening. The AD is hemorrhagic attendance and you HAVE to capitalize on the 180 million investment in facilities. Keeping a losing coach with no recruiting pedigree would make little financial sense.

Maybe, I think it's a little more complicated than that since RG essentially has to decide if MM should be extended next offseason. That decision is based on a lot more than a bowl game with a junior and senior dominated team.

If cu doesn't make a bowl game, he's gone imho. RG can't afford to keep him no matter what the circumstances.

If cu doesn't make a bowl game, he's gone imho. RG can't afford to keep him no matter what the circumstances.
I get what you and others are saying I just doubt it is as cut and dry as bowl game or you are gone. Obviously the liklihood of a great recruiting class coming in without a winning season is low but there are certain circumstances where it would make a decision murky.

I think there are levels of improvement between where we finished in 2015 and a bowl game. The trajectory can still be positive without that ever elusive bowl game. Hit any of those targets, and he stays, IMO. I don't think it's as black and white as "six wins or hit hit bricks".

I think this is absolutely correct.

A lot of fans will be angry and frustrated if we don't win enough to get a bowl game but if RG has a bigger plan some upset fans will not be enough to move him off it.

He will have to show some arguable improvement though and eventually wins will be the measure. In the long term the empty seats that come with losing are far to expensive to continue but RG isn't going to make any panic moves.

Back