What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Football News

What gives up more rushing yards on average the 42 or 33

Not sure on the college level. 3-man fronts usually defend the run better in the NFL. But in college that 3-3-5 stack is my least favorite defense. Usually used by teams that score a lot of points while also giving up a lot. Gets turnovers, but also gets shredded.

Not sure on the college level. 3-man fronts usually defend the run better in the NFL. But in college that 3-3-5 stack is my least favorite defense. Usually used by teams that score a lot of points while also giving up a lot. Gets turnovers, but also gets shredded.
It's typically better against the spread teams in college as it gets another "space" athlete on the field to cover sideline to sideline better. There are also a ridiculous amount of blitzes and coverages that a team can run from 3-3-5 that can be easily disguised, and it can really be tough on the opposing OL to know where everything is coming from. Like any defense, though, it has its weaknesses that good OCs exploit.

It's typically better against the spread teams in college as it gets another "space" athlete on the field to cover sideline to sideline better. There are also a ridiculous amount of blitzes and coverages that a team can run from 3-3-5 that can be easily disguised, and it can really be tough on the opposing OL to know where everything is coming from. Like any defense, though, it has its weaknesses that good OCs exploit.

As you state it lets you get another "athlete" on the field. I think a lot of teams use it to cover up a lack of depth in the front 7. Good teams tend to directly attack it and run over the lack of strength at the LOS.

As you state it lets you get another "athlete" on the field. I think a lot of teams use it to cover up a lack of depth in the front 7. Good teams tend to directly attack it and run over the lack of strength at the LOS.
You're right that it's used by teams lacking the personnel for an extra DL, but it isn't just about that. It's a different scheme with completely different responsibilities for the "front 6". Each player in the front 6 is assigned one gap on every play, regardless of whether they are rushing or dropping into coverage. That accounts for all 6 "natural gaps" on a given play and then you have the two hybrid OLB/S positions that typically have contain or "D gap" responsibilities, in conjunction with their flat, curl or man to man coverage responsibilities.

From Grantland in 2012:
There are different styles of 3-3, and Strong’s was of the attacking variety. On just about every snap, his linemen were instructed to attack a gap — the space between offensive linemen — and get into the backfield to make things generally unpleasant for offenses. This is an important difference between the 3-3-5 and the 3-4. The traditional 3-4 is a two-gap defense, which means that the defensive linemen typically line up “heads up” on the offensive linemen and are responsible for the gaps to either side. This leaves the linebackers free to roam. In the 3-3-5, there are more stunts, and usually at least one linebacker is rushing. This means each player ends up responsible for one specific gap, though the player’s specific responsibility will change from play to play. The 3-3-5 is designed to make both pass protection and run schemes (particularly zone-blocking schemes that heavily rely on double-team blocks) difficult to the point of futility. The linebackers have varying assignments, from blitz to coverage, but they are still responsible for gaps. One important benefit of this type of defense is that it simplifies assignments for players: attack your gap and make a play.

http://grantland.com/features/an-excerpt-essential-smart-football-birth-3-3-5-defense/

I don't care if they run a 1-1-9...as long as we perform on D...and JL has them turning around. Been a Buff fan too long to have any grand expectations, but my Kool Aid/hope is the D makes a similar leap this year as they did last year.

I still favor the 1-10 (or was it the 11-0?) that Joe Morris ran at UNM under Rudy Feldman. Drove BYU's Lavelle Edwards crazy because he would bring anywhere from one to all eleven players on blitzs on almost every down. You could never tell where they were coming from either.

I believe that was what Rich Rod's buddy Jeff Casteel ran and once his all-world LB got hurt the defense got exposed bad. Casteel is no longer at UA.

Casteel ran it at WVU where he was at from RichRod's hiring in 2001 until RichRod brought him to UofA.

To Nik's point, it does seem to be run by teams that score a lot of points while also giving up a lot. Which I have no explanation for. Since RichRod claims to have invented the Spread Offense, you'd think he'd know what defense is best designed to stop it, and I always felt that was what that defense was designed to do. But it never seemed to stop much of anything....

Casteel ran it at WVU where he was at from RichRod's hiring in 2001 until RichRod brought him to UofA.

To Nik's point, it does seem to be run by teams that score a lot of points while also giving up a lot. Which I have no explanation for. Since RichRod claims to have invented the Spread Offense, you'd think he'd know what defense is best designed to stop it, and I always felt that was what that defense was designed to do. But it never seemed to stop much of anything....
Check Charlie Strong's record as a DC and his time at Louisville.

Check Charlie Strong's record as a DC and his time at Louisville.
From Grantland: "As with most schemes, age has exposed many of its weaknesses, and many of its leading practitioners, like Charlie Strong, have moved on to other fronts and use it as only a subpackage"

I think we probably agree that attacking defenses that aren't overly complicated, can be pretty effective in CFB.

From Grantland: "As with most schemes, age has exposed many of its weaknesses, and many of its leading practitioners, like Charlie Strong, have moved on to other fronts and use it as only a subpackage"

I think we probably agree that attacking defenses that aren't overly complicated, can be pretty effective in CFB.
I think I prefaced that in my original post. No exotic offensive or defensive scheme has success forever, but the 3-3-5 was proven to be successful for a period of time when it was first implemented. It's definitely not an every down defense anymore, but then again, there aren't many successful teams in NCAA or NFL that only use one defensive front, anyway.

Stuff is just being done right, here and now! Long gone are the days where a CU coach couldn't get a water bottle for God's sake!

I know it's silly and doesn't matter until the W's start coming, but I love this. There's definitely been a culture change and these guys expect to beat opponents. Let's effing go.

Which guys? I'm assuming you mean the new guys since it's clear to me last year's players expected to lose.

It's everyone too. Adams tweets out memes, Clark and Tump tweet, Hagan has fun and jokes with guys, even Jeffcoat trying. Chev has introduced the future of recruiting here lol.

Have to get with the times, relate to the kids. This is what they are growing up in and what they know. Chiv brought some of that to CU it seems. I'm not selling any of the other coaches short at all, we have our recruiting guys that do the most obviously. Chiv just added some spice.

New BDC article calls OL a "work in progress" and projects Tim Lynott as a starter at RG... if he doesn't end up winning the C job.

Here is a projected look at how the depth chart could look this fall:

Projected starters
LT - Jeromy Irwin, Jr., 6-5, 300
LG - Gerrad Kough, Jr., 6-4, 290
C - Alex Kelley, Sr., 6-2, 315
RG - Tim Lynott, R-Fr., 6-2, 300
RT - Shane Callahan, Sr., 6-6, 310

Projected backups
G/C - Jonathan Huckins, Jr., 6-4, 310
G - Josh Kaiser, So., 6-5, 290
G - John Lisella II, So., 6-4, 295
G - Sully Wiefels, Sr., 6-3, 315
T - Aaron Haigler, R-Fr., 6-7, 270
T - Sam Kronshage, Jr., 6-6, 280
T - Isaac Miller, R-Fr., 6-7, 270

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cu...ball-offensive-line-still-major-work-progress

Back