What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring game

Defense was the better unit today.

Fisher's busted coverage in the endzone was impressive, as was the strip by the guy from Heritage.

Not having McCarntey and Gamboa (& Kafuvalu) on the field hurt on the run coverage. But pass coverage from the secondary generally looked good.

Montez still a work in progress. The o-line has some cleaning up to do. Gave up sacks and misfired too many times.

RB committee as muddled as always. Lindsey's aggressive and passionate style is fun to watch. Lee make some people miss with some sick cuts. Carr and Atkins are going to get their carries, too.

It's hard to get a read on what kind of team this will be, but QB is currently an issue. Gehrke definitely the better option today.

Gerhke was a pleasant surprise. Montez did not look good at all. Not just young mistakes, unfortunately. He looked really inaccurate at times.
I hope Webb stands by his word.
Except for some offsides calls the OL looked good and so did the backs.
The dbs look really good.
There are red flags and positive signs for the future.
It's going to be a long wait until September. Hopefully it's worth it this year.

Not much to take from the spring game. Very vanilla on both sides. A few things I took from it.
  • Our O will be at a rapid pace this year. Chev seems to be all over everything on the O side of ball.
  • Isiah Oliver is going to be a stud. I really like our starting DB's. Oliver, Chido, Moeller, and Thompson are all very good. They are every where. If Witherspoon can compliment them all, we could be very special here.
  • Montez will be good, in time. He has everything you want from a QB. Had a few passes get away and he does seem to have some wheels. Needs some time, but like the potential. Just not ready as mentioned by most.
  • Not sure what to take from our front 7 on D. A lot of guys out and not playing. Very scary if we have injuries here.
  • With the front 7 on D, still not sure what to think of our oline. These are the two areas that really scare me. Watching the Stanford front 7 on D and oline, we still look very small, whatever you want to take there.
  • Devin Ross caught everything his way. It was all short, so we shall see if he can put it together, but he has great shiftiness. If he puts it together with a 2-some of Winfree and Fields, we will be in business on O.
  • RB's looked fast and shifty. Really like the 4 headed monster of Carr, Lindsay, Lee, and Adkins. Would like a couple to really step up, but they all seem to be good to me. Dino Gordon had a nice run as well.
Not sure what else to take. Mac said that Miller would be fine, so hopefully that is the case. We need Webb and a veteran leader at the QB position. Can't say I feel any different than last spring. A lot of players out. Was fun to watch and glad to see some football.

Montez is probably one year away still, but he will be good. At least he has all the tools to be great here.

Montez looked no different than Sefo, to me. Big, kind of mobile, inconsistent accuracy, slow release, and too locked into one receiver. Not saying he can't develop into a starter, but he is not one in 2016 without a major lightbulb turning on, IMO.

Montez looked no different than Sefo, to me. Big, kind of mobile, inconsistent accuracy, slow release, and too locked into one receiver. Not saying he can't develop into a starter, but he is not one in 2016 without a major lightbulb turning on, IMO.

This is what young QBs do.

Sefo got thrown in before he was ready, the result was that a lot of his development got locked it at this level as he formed habits just trying to survive.

No guarantees that Montez will develop but if he is forced to play a lot this year I'd bet on him not developing.

I know the staff doesn't seem to think that Awini can be groomed into being a CU QB or even a backup QB, but with the news about Webb, I'd look into it. ASAP. It's not like we are Stanford or USC.

I like to be in the stands of Folsom. Call it weakness, or whatever. When we're getting blown in a real game, I stick around to remove my hat and sing "Deeeaaarr Olllllld SEEEEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUUU", even when the weather is crap. Even better are those rare moments in recent years when we're winning, and the weather is nice.

So, when we stand little chance of losing, on a beautiful spring day, and I happen to be in town. You bet I'm gonna hop on a bike, ride down, just to be in the stands. Could the experience be managed better? Maybe. But I'll allow others to judge. It's a beautiful spring day. I'll see you p.ussies in a little while...
What, in the student section?

M2 told the team at the end of the scrimmage that Miller was going to be okay. Hopefully just a strain or a twist, we need him even if Irwin comes back.

Speaking of Irwin he was out there in shorts and a jersey pushing and exhorting the linemen. Looked like he was working harder than some of the upperclassmen. I could see some of why the young guys are up on the depth chart, we have some older guys who like to stand and watch with their hands on their hips.

This is what young QBs do.

Sefo got thrown in before he was ready, the result was that a lot of his development got locked it at this level as he formed habits just trying to survive.

No guarantees that Montez will develop but if he is forced to play a lot this year I'd bet on him not developing.

You keep stating this as absolute fact. The evidence is flimsy.

I know the staff doesn't seem to think that Awini can be groomed into being a CU QB or even a backup QB, but with the news about Webb, I'd look into it. ASAP. It's not like we are Stanford or USC.
I definitely think they will have some packages with Awini at QB, but not sure why you would even try that in a spring game.

Thanks for the recap folks. Too many injuries on defense to know about ol and running success.

3 concerns, webb, montez and sounding like another year of rb's subbing each other every other play. Sounds like a ton to do on offense and the ILB outlook is scary.

You keep stating this as absolute fact. The evidence is flimsy.
There is a reason why teams that aren't recruiting 4* and 5* QBs take their time. Plenty of guys who are lower ranked QBs turn into good players but there is a reason they call it player development.

Are there exceptions, certainly, just like there are guys who people expect to be ready right away (and are ranked as such) but never make it.

How good would Sefo have been had he been given a period of time to practice, to watch, to be coached? I don't know and neither do you, it's speculation but I tend to believe that some of the bad habits he developed playing survival as a true freshman would not have been a part of his eventual game.

How good will Montez be? Again nobody here knows, lot's of P5 programs could have come after him and didn't. I know what I see though which is a guy who still has some work to do physically but is further behind mentally. I don't want to see him thrown out there as a freshman.

CAUTIONblackyellowJ.jpg

Thanks for the recap folks. Too many injuries on defense to know about ol and running success.

3 concerns, webb, montez and sounding like another year of rb's subbing each other every other play. Sounds like a ton to do on offense and the ILB outlook is scary.
ILB outlook is good---if everyone is healthy and thePerkins is as advertised; the present is scary. Fortunately Buffs don't play anyone til fall. Webb deal will pan out as it pans out. Montez got into more as the scrimmage wore on; he'll learn from mistakes made against live competition, just like every other QB. Actually Gerkhe had a very good day. He looked much better than in the past. Very workmanlike in this offense, he doesn't need to be a star. Collectively, the RBs looked as if they were coached by a former RB and ran very decently. Since it was a scrimmage hard to tell anything about subbing, so your point is pure speculation, although they often stayed with the same guy 4-5 plays in a row, as the replay showed.
Overall, I was satisfied, all things considered.

ILB outlook is good---if everyone is healthy and thePerkins is as advertised; the present is scary. .

I actually left the scrimmage yesterday thinking just the opposite about ILB, well except that right now things are scary. Funny how impressions can be different. The two position groups that were most impressive to me were the RB's and the DB's. Though Patrick Carr can still be tackled by a mild wind gust. Dino Gorden definitely showed me something yesterday when running the ball. If he doesn't get playing time, something is wrong, very wrong (Or he just can't pass block which he didn't really put much effort into).

All of that being said, this team needs to hit the weights and needs to hit them hard. Regardless of listed weights, I guarantee CU will be at a dramatic disadvantage compared to most P5 teams right now...The lack of size was...well...it was shocking...every bit as shocking as it has been in previous years.

Other areas that shocked and disappointed me a yesterday.
1. The DL flat out ignored Jeffcoat when he would get on them. Lots of eye rolling when he turned his head away and even when he was watching several guys were intentionally very slow to do what he was telling them to do. The lack of respect from the players his way was glaring.
2. MM was more concerned about shirts not being tucked in (Several players rolled them up) and telling kids not to say too much than he was with the play on the field.
3. One player (Tuiloma) got excited on the D sideline and was patting people's shoulder pads and screaming lets go defense that is how you ****ing doing it! Immediately two skinny backup players got on him and told him to be quiet. Apparently, one ratted him out to a coach as later he was pulled aside and told to shut up. Lifeless play continued. I had no idea that MM and staff and apparently some players were more concerned with being PC than playing good football, but that sequence made it very clear. Sure there were little kids there, but if a child hears that next to a sideline then that is the parent's fault, not the players. Since that is the focus, it is now clear that hard times are not yet over in Boulder.

Areas that were better than I expected.
1. Offensive line run blocking (Not perfect but you can see it coming)
2. RB's
3. QB (Not because it was great just far better than I expected)
4. Corners - Easily the best position on the team...though all corners get exposed with no pass rush so here is to hoping certain people are allowed back on the team and others get healthy.

Overall my ability to drink the kool-aid was dramatically reduced after watching the spring game.

I actually left the scrimmage yesterday thinking just the opposite about ILB, well except that right now things are scary. Funny how impressions can be different. The two position groups that were most impressive to me were the RB's and the DB's. Though Patrick Carr can still be tackled by a mild wind gust. Dino Gorden definitely showed me something yesterday when running the ball. If he doesn't get playing time, something is wrong, very wrong (Or he just can't pass block which he didn't really put much effort into).

All of that being said, this team needs to hit the weights and needs to hit them hard. Regardless of listed weights, I guarantee CU will be at a dramatic disadvantage compared to most P5 teams right now...The lack of size was...well...it was shocking...every bit as shocking as it has been in previous years.

Other areas that shocked and disappointed me a yesterday.
1. The DL flat out ignored Jeffcoat when he would get on them. Lots of eye rolling when he turned his head away and even when he was watching several guys were intentionally very slow to do what he was telling them to do. The lack of respect from the players his way was glaring.
2. MM was more concerned about shirts not being tucked in (Several players rolled them up) and telling kids not to say too much than he was with the play on the field.
3. One player (Tuiloma) got excited on the D sideline and was patting people's shoulder pads and screaming lets go defense that is how you ****ing doing it! Immediately two skinny backup players got on him and told him to be quiet. Apparently, one ratted him out to a coach as later he was pulled aside and told to shut up. Lifeless play continued. I had no idea that MM and staff and apparently some players were more concerned with being PC than playing good football, but that sequence made it very clear. Sure there were little kids there, but if a child hears that next to a sideline then that is the parent's fault, not the players. Since that is the focus, it is now clear that hard times are not yet over in Boulder.

Areas that were better than I expected.
1. Offensive line run blocking (Not perfect but you can see it coming)
2. RB's
3. QB (Not because it was great just far better than I expected)
4. Corners - Easily the best position on the team...though all corners get exposed with no pass rush so here is to hoping certain people are allowed back on the team and others get healthy.

Overall my ability to drink the kool-aid was dramatically reduced after watching the spring game.
Wow! Guess you see what you want to see....especially with regard to MM and bad language in a circumstance where it can clearly be heard. Since when is dropping loud "F" bombs the equivalent of "enthusiasm and high morale"?.....Maybe in your little world. Same with the size issue, sure there are kids maturing and a bit smaller right now, but using charts from various websites, the Buffs average line size in right in the same ballpark as other Pac squads, with the exceptions of U$C, UCLA and Stanford, whose averages were affected by a few monsters (330+lb. kids). Won't argue on strength; the Forman experiment---sport specific, iso-training---is over and they're back to regular Olympic lifting as they should be. Wilson will have their undivided attention until August, so I don't worry about that. They will be stronger. (Read some Rippetoe) Hard to believe your "perception " of Jeffcoat and his players; not certain that a fiery guy like Leavitt, as DC, would not notice or put up with that, so what you're really saying is Leavitt isn't doing his job??? Get real!
Or take your "perceptions" and stay home in the fall; although I'm used to critics like you in the stands at Folsom. For years I had to sit behind some fat clown who yelled criticism at every play Mac I called, offensively and defensively---gets tiresome after about three minutes.....so spare those of us who may have to sit your vicinity!

I try not to take too much from Spring games as so many guys missing and very vanilla but QB is going to be key as well as OL obviously. Webb needs to be here, Montez is probably still a year away.

Did Falo make any plays? He was one I was hoping to hear about although I'm sure a vanilla defense probably did the banged up LBs the least amount of favors.

From the reports I'm happy/sad, pumped/deflated, encouraged/discouraged, confident/worried, bitter/sweet.

Last edited:
Did Falo make any plays? He was one I was hoping to hear about although I'm sure a vanilla defense probably did the banged up LBs the least amount of favors.
He was in on a lot of plays. Tough with spring games when you can't hit the QB as he was in there a few times but obviously couldn't hit. You could see some speed out of him and he looked bigger, IMO.

He was in on a lot of plays. Tough with spring games when you can't hit the QB as he was in there a few times but obviously couldn't hit. You could see some speed out of him and he looked bigger, IMO.
Thanks man! How about Rippy?

Dino's run was everything I expected from him. The kids bone structure is ridiculous.

First of all, seeing rippy out there just pissed me off, there is no reason he can't perform.

Also, saw falo at the cal bball game a couple months ago, he is not as big as you would think. I was surprised standing next to him.

Back