What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stadium Wide Beer at Folsom

I can't answer for certain, but I am sure it was associated with the move to "clean up" CU's image. The admin wanted to get as far away from the party reputation that CU has had in the past.
The admin is stupid then, as that did nothing to "clean up" CU's image. If you want to clean up CU's image as a party school, just ensure the football program sucks.

Question, because idk, why did they get rid of the beer sales in the first place? Too many minors getting ****ed up, when they'd find a way to regardless, or what?

I can't answer for certain, but I am sure it was associated with the move to "clean up" CU's image. The admin wanted to get as far away from the party reputation that CU has had in the past.

I seem to remember it had to do with the Big 12 conference rules. Anyone else remember that? Maybe one of you could look it up. Thank god we ditched that bible belt conference.

Question, because idk, why did they get rid of the beer sales in the first place? Too many minors getting ****ed up, when they'd find a way to regardless, or what?

They stopped sales in 1996, because of a boatload of alcohol related incidents. The original ban was for two years, and they pointed to a decrease in student incidents in '96 as a justification for extending the ban indefinitely. There was also something of a national movement toward not selling beer at college stadiums at that time, because of incidents like what happened at Camp Randall stadium in 1993. CU was the last school in the Big XII to allow beer sales before they banned it.

EDIT: I meant to add that student alcohol incidents ended up rising by a lot in the years after 1996, but the initial downtick was enough for them to extend the policy.

So they are putting in metal detectors for everything to walk through, and they aren't making anyone remove phones or keys from their pockets. They say this is going to speed up the entry process, but I don't see how this is the case if the detectors go off every time a person walks through it.

And Don promised us a win or a fight. Either way we got our moneys’ worth, even if it meant watching the Swedish sieve!
Yeah, win or lose those were some entertaining games for the most part. I remember watching fans trying to pour beer on the opposing team when they came out of the locker room and while sitting in the penalty box.

anyone else worried about the students and the no Re-entry?
Eh, as a student I would leave at half clearly to drink more, and I would say maybe 33-50% of the time I would actually come back to the game. Would have been much easier to just buy a few beers at half and stay than walk all the way back to The Hill and then come back. Then again, I attended CU during a ****ty time for the football program, so we didn't really care about coming back for the 2nd half when the Buffs were down by 30+.

It was a misguided attempt to cut down on drunkenness in the stands. It didn’t work.

Of course it didn't work. People gotta sneak their stuff in instead of it being a convenience. When you do that, it's gonna be worse. People are gonna get ****ed up no matter what. Police it better and make sure people aren't getting over served. There are a lot of possibilities the school could use to make sure people get home safe and add a little bank.

Has there ever been cheap beer at a stadium sporting event?
i think they were running specials on coors in the student section when i was there. yeah, i am old. they might have been like 30 bucks for a full vendor tray? then, we'd pass them down the aisle and everyone would chug one and then throw the empties at the next row of people before they threw their empties at us.

It was a misguided attempt to cut down on drunkenness in the stands. It didn’t work.

uh, yeah it did to a degree, although in my opinion, it had already calmed way down in the stands after the drinking age was raised to 21. so, a lot of pain in the ass for not much benefit.

i think they were running specials on coors in the student section when i was there. yeah, i am old. they might have been like 30 bucks for a full vendor tray?
The way it worked in the long distant past was the beer vendor basically had to pay cash for the vendor tray. Whatever above that he sold it for, he kept. You guys did him a massive service by buying the tray instead of him having to schlep it around for half an hour for individual sales.

Win-win.

I'll be very interested to see if/how they police bringing it into areas that are supposed to be the student section. Folsom is wonderful because there's so little restriction on where you can or can't walk/sit. But overall this is a great development.

There’s no policing for the basketball student section as of right now.

I'm bummed they're shutting down the indoor practice facility for pre-game. We've enjoyed hitting that area pre-game.

Yeah, that was a ton of fun in there. Little-known historical note: I was the first person ever to buy a vended beer in the IPF when they first opened it up in 2016. The bringing-the-beer-back-to-your-seat development is huge step forward, even though the security guards at Balch were cool about letting you stand in front of the open doors and watch the game while enjoying a tasty beverage. Woe be to the man who stepped beyond the doorway, however.

I’m for beer sales. I’m also for establishing a family section.

As someone that has joyful memories of witnessing alcohol induced violence at Mile High Stadium back in the day I ask that you please don't deny future generations of any potential similar enjoyment. Besides we have that whole people policing each other thing going on nowadays anyway.

CU finally gets smart. Now I'll no longer sneak bottles of whiskey into Folsom.

Considering how watered down the beer is likely to be the level of drunkeness will probably go down. Most of us can probably sneak a lot more actual alcohol into the stadium in bottles than we can consume in the cups.

Now the issue is going to be the lines waiting to get into the bathroom to get rid of that beer.

Back