What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sucks to lose... but I'm encouraged

It seemed like the team threw off the heavy weight of low ranking and very little respect, in the 2nd quarter. I hope it is gone for good.

One problem is Sefo's arm strength. He's doing great as a leader and in most phases of the game, but I think that 1st interception was more an inability to put some zip on the ball, then not seeing the safety.

Also, TV made an issue of ASU claiming CU was stealing their defense signals midway thru the 1st quarter. According to the announcers, ASU then changed how they were signalling in their defensive schemes, which may have caused some confusion for the ASU defense It was little early in the game to see that as making excuses for ASU, but I struggle to believe we set up to spy and steal signals

BTW, and I don't know where to put this, but the Denver Post, and we all know this, SUCKS! I'm glad they have Kensler over that last guy, but he shows a real lack of interest. I also know the game ended late and with their cuts, they have to publish the paper by midnight. But still.

I know most of they younger crowd isn't into reading the paper anymore, but I enjoy it. I did cancel my hard copy though. I get the "Replica" on line. CSU's beat writer is Terry Frei. He writes a helluva lot more on the rammies than Kensler does on the Buffs. Makes me sick.

But Kiszla's call for csh to go to the FCS division is magical. :lol:

Last edited:
Also, TV made an issue of ASU claiming CU was stealing their defense signals midway thru the 1st quarter. According to the announcers, ASU then changed how they were signalling in their defensive schemes, which may have caused some confusion for the ASU defense It was little early in the game to see that as making excuses for ASU, but I struggle to believe we set up to spy and steal signals

Finally. If you ain't cheatin you ain't trying

I think the team finally realized they can compete. Once they saw it, it just clicked. I'm hopeful unit we have no more slow starts. What do you think, possible that they finally got it and it will now give us more swagger???

We cannot come out flat to begin a game. We didn't have a first down until well into the game. Our first series we went 3 and out. We let ASU march right down the field on their first two possessions and put us down 14-0 right off the bat. Can't do that. We need to come out and establish ourselves. NO MORE SLOW STARTS!!

I have no idea if we did. But, this doesn't make sense if you look at the teams performance. If we were stealing signals and only managed one first down, then why change signals?

Everybody has pretty much covered the good takeaways from last night. The team played solid football, and turnovers sealed the game, which is how it should be. I'm used to Colorado being so bad that turnovers really don't matter. All I can say is that I desperately hope this is a real sign of improvement, and not some flash in the pan where Colorado got hot at home on a blackout night. So sick of seeing progress at times, only to watch Colorado fall flat later on. Let's kill UH this week!

I too was encouraged last night. I actually enjoyed watching parts of the game, which is a foreign feeling. However, if we come out and lay an egg against Hawaii, this is all for not.

OT, but is there a more douchey coach in college football than Graham? Such a prick.

Bo Pellini would be a candidate for that title.

I too was encouraged last night. I actually enjoyed watching parts of the game, which is a foreign feeling. However, if we come out and lay an egg against Hawaii, this is all for not.

OT, but is there a more douchey coach in college football than Graham? Such a prick.

The answer to your question is hell no. He reminds me of a certain marine corp sergeant....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 173
I'm encouraged too. The O showed up, the D shut them down in the second quarter. Spruce is a complete bad ass!!!!!!!! I think he is still the PAC12's #1 receiver after 3 weeks, and that TD catch was off the chain. Powell had a great game. Awuzie seemed he was everywhere.

Lots of positives, even if it is a loss that could have been a win.

Well I saw a team that got punched in the mouth and actually responded. They acted like a football team for the first time in idk how long, I was proud of them. Have to execute when we have chances, they were there. I'm not a moral victory guy, I'm more take what you did well and build on it. Also learn from what you didnt and fix it. Never be satisfied with losing, I'm liking the direction though. As far as cheating, yeah ok, **** off Graham scumbag.

Last edited:
The wrist bands for the beer garden were red. You can say it doesn't matter but if we start winning games it will be by the thinnest of margins and it'll be stuff like this that gets us there.

The team looked like a real football team last night. Mistakes were too much for them, but I never felt like our team would not have a chance to move and score. Our D played well in spots but disappeared on too many drives and were carved up like warm butter.

The fumble was a killer as was the PI call that extended that drive for a TD. Those 2 were just too much for this team with such a thin margin to over come.

Overall, I look forward to the progress this team makes over this season. The football is getting better, MM is getting the team to respond and I think we will see an upset this year. We will get one nobody thinks we should.

Really like we are going on offense. A couple more players there and we could be very good there.

Still not sold on the defense, but hope they prove me wrong.

I loved the quick give to Pow, that was a good call. The D Idk either, I liked we started blitzing. They killed us with screens at times. Blitz like that, maybe zone behind it? That's if we are playing a screen team which we will see. Either way, I think we need to bring the heat, pick our spots of course.

Last edited:
i was encouraged! ...fumble was horrible.. pass interf call was redic... call on 4th and goal was terrible !!!! but pretty entertaining and they kept battling

Considering this was a team that killed the Buffs by the first half last year and we're complaining about a handful of plays being the difference....that's huge.

The fumble and the stumble killed the Buffs---the stumble being Powell's slip on 3rd and two from the 4. If he stays upright he scores and its a 7 point game with a ton of time left.

Olugbode did not have his best game either. The QB option read for a TD, gets stuffed if he stays home and that wasn't the only play he was out of position on. The PI penalty on Crawly sucked; the WR was diving down and away because that pass was low.

Lots to be encouraged about; they seem to have developed some confidence to compete with the big boys in the Pac, many of whom didn't look so "big" last night.

Went to the game last night. At the game I made some observations. Here they are for your reading pleasures:

1.) Early in the game our interior DLine was completely over matched. I watched Juda Parker and Solis get pushed aside like blocking dummies time after time. Eddie Lopez came in and appeared to be a tougher match for ASU's OL. I view this group as our biggest weakness by far.

2.) Our linebackers are SO small. I was relieved to see big George Frazier play some LB simply due to his size. Olugbode looks like he weighs 200. I think something is off with Gillam. I think he is more injured than we know. He plays more hesitantly than he did last year and I've seen him mis-read a lot of plays. It doesn't help that the DL get's ZERO push either.

3.) I was very impressed with our Corners. I think that was Crawley's best game I've ever seen. Chidobe Awuzie is a good young player who will be good and made a big open field tackle in the 4th quarter. I'd like to see Moeller or White get in there to provide a little better size and tackling ability for run support.

3.) Sefo is a grown ass Sophomore! He is a great leader. He stood in there and took some major hits. His passes to Spruce and Fields for TD's were passes I haven't seen in the last 10 years as a CU fan. As our OL develops, I hope to see him have a chance to really make some big plays.

4.) Our OL is... Alright. That ASU DL is very good. Irwin seemed to hold his own for the most part. Count me as one who is curious why Callahan isn't playing RG... Munyer seems to get owned about 10 times a game. Nembot seemed to have a decent game. This group had streaks where they held their own on a bunch of run plays.

5.) Our WR group may just be our best position group on the team. After losing PRich, I would have never guessed that! Spruce makes cuts that would break Allen Iversons ankles. Fields is a better True Frosh than PRich was. I remember reading that Bobo had huge hands and it shows. He catches everything. DD Goodson needs to touch the ball at least 10 times per game because he is electric! Can someone please get McCulloch a whole bucket of Protein shake? He's 20 pounds from being a top 5 Pac 12 TE.

6.) The RB group is decent. I really like Lindsay a lot. He runs hard EVERY time he touches the ball and punishes the tackler. We need his mentality on our defense. He should NOT have been the guy to get ONE yard on the 4th and 1. Not when we have a 240 pound monster RB. POW is a man. You knew that. Bad time for a first career fumble for Adkins. He'll be alright. ToJo had a great game hitting holes.

7.) Lindgren is showing improvement in play calling. The 4th and 1 call aside, he did a good job in the redzone. I think our team does best when we're spread out. We just do not have the OL to dominate the DL.

8.) I sat right behind the CU bench. All of our players look young. They play young. They act young. We are friggin young! Outside of Sefo, there just isn't anyone with a lot of confidence and swagger. I was happy to see glimpses of big talent. The veterans on our team provide very little. As our team grows, they'll get that confidence. It may take a year, but I can see our team finally getting to the point where they can beat a top 25 team.

9.) There are finally some reasons to be positive about our Buffs. However, let's not forget that it wasn't until we looked like garbage and were down 17 to 0 before we saw our team do anything positive. One might think that CU stepped up OR ASU chalked up their victory and took their foot off the gas. I think it may be a combination of the two. Overall, I'm much more confident in Sefo and our offense. Our defense still has a long way to go, especially on the line. If we played like this all season, we'd be 2-1 right now.

Moral victories are for Buff football fans, obviously. I'm sick of our 1-2 moral victories a year. How can Sefo not throw a football accurately to his left? That's 50% of the field! I never even knew that sort of thing was possible.
fify

The fumble inside our 20 was a real momentum killer. The Buffs were rolling until that happened. This would have been a blowout last year, so I see improvement and getting back on track next week.

Thinking about the plays that cost us the game I came up with:
1[SUP]st[/SUP] quarter

• Sefo’s throw that was picked. The receiver was open and had two steps on the CB. The ball needed to be thrown more towards the corner to take the safety completely out of the picture. He also looked left the majority of the time. This is something that is correctable.
  • 4[SUP]th[/SUP] down – we have had two games were we game up critical 4[SUP]th[/SUP] down plays (CSU, if we stop them we have the ball up 17-7, instead they make the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and score 3 plays later). We have had one critical stop, but we need to find a way to stop other teams. It is essentially a turnover.
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Quarter

• Fumble, not much more to say about this. Adkins has not had the start to the year I expected.
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Quarter

• Penalties – had one go against us, had one we didn’t get. Flip that and it is an 11 pt swing. Still, the D has to be able to find a way to stop after having. Not sure if it is confidence, or experience, but they have to learn to come back and not pout that they should have been off the field.
4[SUP]th[/SUP] Quarter

• Getting stopped on 4[SUP]th[/SUP] and short. This is not new, but we have to change our strategy when we need 1 yard. What we have done so far is not working
  • The INT. ASU was waiting for the ball to go to Spruce and let McCullough run down the field wide open. I feel this is something that a QB should learn from experience, but he needs to know if there are 4 d-backs on 2 recievers, there is a better option out there.

So above are 7 plays that created a loss for the Buffs. There are also several that helped them keep it close, but in order to really win in the PAC-12, they have to cut down the list to about 3, while maintaining the momentum of the other plays.

Thinking about the plays that cost us the game I came up with:
1[SUP]st[/SUP] quarter

• Sefo’s throw that was picked. The receiver was open and had two steps on the CB. The ball needed to be thrown more towards the corner to take the safety completely out of the picture. He also looked left the majority of the time. This is something that is correctable.
  • 4[SUP]th[/SUP] down – we have had two games were we game up critical 4[SUP]th[/SUP] down plays (CSU, if we stop them we have the ball up 17-7, instead they make the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and score 3 plays later). We have had one critical stop, but we need to find a way to stop other teams. It is essentially a turnover.
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Quarter

• Fumble, not much more to say about this. Adkins has not had the start to the year I expected.
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Quarter

• Penalties – had one go against us, had one we didn’t get. Flip that and it is an 11 pt swing. Still, the D has to be able to find a way to stop after having. Not sure if it is confidence, or experience, but they have to learn to come back and not pout that they should have been off the field.
4[SUP]th[/SUP] Quarter

• Getting stopped on 4[SUP]th[/SUP] and short. This is not new, but we have to change our strategy when we need 1 yard. What we have done so far is not working
  • The INT. ASU was waiting for the ball to go to Spruce and let McCullough run down the field wide open. I feel this is something that a QB should learn from experience, but he needs to know if there are 4 d-backs on 2 recievers, there is a better option out there.

So above are 7 plays that created a loss for the Buffs. There are also several that helped them keep it close, but in order to really win in the PAC-12, they have to cut down the list to about 3, while maintaining the momentum of the other plays.

Was a very "Un-Sefo" type play. He really forced that one. Easy to forget he still hasn't started 12 games for the buffs. He is still learning, even with as poised as he is. Things like that will be corrected. He also was a bit rattled at that point. He had been hit quite a lot.

thought the D showed some solid outside speed to get to the qb.
Better playcalling this time around, too.

Still think Sefo's delivery is too long and his long balls are balloons that take forever to come down, but he played well overall.

I wonder if ASU was point shaving? I mean they were 16 point favorites and their qb goes down to a mystery injury and they win by 14???

Somebody made a fortune on Saturday night....

BUT, I think CU played a heck of a game. If they had played that way against CSU they would have KILLED them....wouldn't have been close at all.

thought the D showed some solid outside speed to get to the qb.
Better playcalling this time around, too.

Still think Sefo's delivery is too long and his long balls are balloons that take forever to come down, but he played well overall.

I wonder if ASU was point shaving? I mean they were 16 point favorites and their qb goes down to a mystery injury and they win by 14???

Somebody made a fortune on Saturday night....

BUT, I think CU played a heck of a game. If they had played that way against CSU they would have KILLED them....wouldn't have been close at all.

Taylor Kelly suffered a lisfranc injury after being tackled awkwardly. He is out for quite some time.

9.) There are finally some reasons to be positive about our Buffs. However, let's not forget that it wasn't until we looked like garbage and were down 17 to 0 before we saw our team do anything positive. One might think that CU stepped up OR ASU chalked up their victory and took their foot off the gas. I think it may be a combination of the two.

That's still improvement. Last years ASU tried to take their foot off the gas, and still kept scoring on us. It wasn't until they put in their 2's and 3's that we look equal to the task. So for us to at least hold up this time is improvement.

Taylor Kelly suffered a lisfranc injury after being tackled awkwardly. He is out for quite some time.

Ghram is going for the long con.

That's still improvement. Last years ASU tried to take their foot off the gas, and still kept scoring on us. It wasn't until they put in their 2's and 3's that we look equal to the task. So for us to at least hold up this time is improvement.

Ghram is going for the long con.

Graham was pissed they only scored 24pts in the 1st half. The D adjusted and got some real stops.

I hesitate to say this, because it sounds very Hawk-ish, but there were four plays that turned the game, IMO. The fumble on the 10 yard line, the interception late in the game, the failed 4th down conversion, and the inability to stop ASU on 3rd and 10 at about the 40 yard line in the 2nd half. You can't make mistakes like that against a top 20 team and expect to win. Given that, it was a great effort.

Back