What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sunshine Slam- Men's bball hosts Milwaukee (Tues., 11/14, 7:00 PM) & in Daytona Bch. to face Richmond (Mon., 11/20, 6:00 PM MT) & FSU (Tues.,2:00 PM)

Hey! At least we played “team” basketball!! Every player did his part! The sequence where FSU made a layup, stole the lazy assed inbound and made another layup was the game in a nutshell. There is not a single leader on this team.

Even with the bad start in OT we still had a couple of chances but Hammond had the turnover following an FSU turnover and about a minute later after another FSU turnover we had the missed layup followed by the missed 3

Hey! At least we played “team” basketball!! Every player did his part! The sequence where FSU made a layup, stole the lazy assed inbound and made another layup was the game in a nutshell. There is not a single leader on this team.
If that was the game in a nutshell, Florida State would've won by 30. Terrible sequence, but a huge portion of this board needs to get their football lenses off and remember basketball is a game of ebbs and flows. All the bad stretches are not this team as a whole, just as the roaring 10-0 run after FSU seemed to be in control of the game is not the team as whole.

One thing I’m happy about is that the team has now decided it’s time to let Cody work through some growing pains running the point. It’s gonna cause us some heartburn now but it’ll pay off later in the season. I’m really glad Tad and Co gave him that responsibility at times against a pressing long team like FSU.

Marathon, not sprint.

I will add though that this game is why @RumblinBuff and I have had numerous discussions about TDS being on the all-P12 team and why we’re having a hard time seeing it. Some of it is that it’s hard to take over a game from the 4 spot in general in college hoops but he just is too damn passive at times. It’s hilarious to me to see people saying Cody is passive (when IMO it’s more calculating… he’s doing the CP3 where he is waiting for his moment) and not saying anything about TDS.

Dude HAS to be better. And I think he will be but I’m not sure I’m ever going to be fully confident in him.

If that was the game in a nutshell, Florida State would've won by 30. Terrible sequence, but a huge portion of this board needs to get their football lenses off and remember basketball is a game of ebbs and flows. All the bad stretches are not this team as a whole, just as the roaring 10-0 run after FSU seemed to be in control of the game is not the team as whole.
By “in a nutshell” I mean not valuing the ball, making lazy passes and getting out hustled. Not that we played that way for 40, err, 45 minutes. FSU is picked at the bottom of the ACC! They aren’t supposed to be good.

By “in a nutshell” I mean not valuing the ball, making lazy passes and getting out hustled. Not that we played that way for 40, err, 45 minutes. FSU is picked at the bottom of the ACC! They aren’t supposed to be good.
They’re 69th in KenPom and were projected as 10th in the ACC by Blue Ribbon which makes them a bubble team. Can we please stop talking as if this is Grambling last year?

They’re 69th in KenPom and were projected as 10th in the ACC by Blue Ribbon which makes them a bubble team. Can we please stop talking as if this is Grambling last year?
Yep. I believe it's a game that CU should have won, but if any other team lost in OT to FSU at an early season tournament in Daytona Beach it's not like I'd have a strong reaction to the upset.

In the pre-game Tad said FSU is very aggressive and we will need to pump fake and pass fake. 🤣
How many times did a starter get shown the bench for committing their 3rd, 4th, 5th T/O due to not doing it?

I will add though that this game is why @RumblinBuff and I have had numerous discussions about TDS being on the all-P12 team and why we’re having a hard time seeing it. Some of it is that it’s hard to take over a game from the 4 spot in general in college hoops but he just is too damn passive at times. It’s hilarious to me to see people saying Cody is passive (when IMO it’s more calculating… he’s doing the CP3 where he is waiting for his moment) and not saying anything about TDS.

Dude HAS to be better. And I think he will be but I’m not sure I’m ever going to be fully confident in him.
1) I refuse to read this whole thread
2) after the 1st 3 possessions of the 2nd half, I would've recommended we bench TDS for the remainder of the game
3) Cody did nothing wrong, and remains precious.
4) I *always* slander TDS, per standing policy.

Forgive me for my frustration! Luckily I have no hair left to have pulled out. But that game was beyond frustrating. Good for you for being so grounded.

TDS is passive without Cody’s ball handling and vision. So it’s doubly so.

1) I refuse to read this whole thread
2) after the 1st 3 possessions of the 2nd half, I would've recommended we bench TDS for the remainder of the game
3) Cody did nothing wrong, and remains precious.
4) I *always* slander TDS, per standing policy.
Cody is going to be a great player. He needs some pep in his step when bringing the ball up, too often he looked like Collier (soft passes, hesitant, etc). But he’ll grow into it.

I appreciate Goose saying FSU is 69 on KenPom. Looking at KenPom:
CU is at 31 - Arizona & UCLA (?Maybe giving Bruins advanced credit for beating Gonzaga tonight?!) only PAC-12 teams ahead of us.
Florida is 35- who just beat FSU
Miami FL is 34- our Dec. 10th game
FSU- at 69 is 9th rated ACC team right now

I found it interesting that Coach Hamilton of FSU said after last year‘s poor season, that he didn’t get the memo re: all the other ACC teams going hard on portal-When he brought in six freshman last year. So he went after some transfers that are already out-playing expectations. Watkins averaged 9/4/1 at VCU; & now averaging 14/6/4 at FSU. Hopefully loss doesn’t hurt our Stength of Schedule as much as it looks like now.

I appreciated KJ saying he took too many shots in post-game comments. During 2nd half I liked that Cody waved KJ off, when KJ was asking for handoff, & Cody ran offense instead. Freshman directing traffic is 1 of many good signs from him. FSU has got to be one of the hardest teams to prepare for. Tad said post game you just can’t replicate what they do in Practice. But I agree with everyone here that we should have won.

Regarding AP poll & early-season upsets: looks like it may be another season of parity on the horizon for this year. First 17 teams look solid, including only 5 w/ 1 loss. Next 18 -20 look like they may be juggling positions a lot- including the 6 that are still undefeated in that second group. So it does feel like Buffs stay closer to Top-20, than Top-35 this year. Assuming we don’t stumble much more. But maybe I’m just trying to rationalize the loss?!

I appreciate Goose saying FSU is 69 on KenPom. Looking at KenPom:
CU is at 31 - Arizona & UCLA (?Maybe giving Bruins advanced credit for beating Gonzaga tonight?!) only PAC-12 teams ahead of us.
Florida is 35- who just beat FSU
Miami FL is 34- our Dec. 10th game
FSU- at 69 is 9th rated ACC team right now

I found it interesting that Coach Hamilton of FSU said after last year‘s poor season, that he didn’t get the memo re: all the other ACC teams going hard on portal-When he brought in six freshman last year. So he went after some transfers that are already out-playing expectations. Watkins averaged 9/4/1 at VCU; & now averaging 14/6/4 at FSU. Hopefully loss doesn’t hurt our Stength of Schedule as much as it looks like now.

I appreciated KJ saying he took too many shots in post-game comments. During 2nd half I liked that Cody waved KJ off, when KJ was asking for handoff, & Cody ran offense instead. Freshman directing traffic is 1 of many good signs from him. FSU has got to be one of the hardest teams to prepare for. Tad said post game you just can’t replicate what they do in Practice. But I agree with everyone here that we should have won.

Regarding AP poll & early-season upsets: looks like it may be another season of parity on the horizon for this year. First 17 teams look solid, including only 5 w/ 1 loss. Next 18 -20 look like they may be juggling positions a lot- including the 6 that are still undefeated in that second group. So it does feel like Buffs stay closer to Top-20, than Top-35 this year. Assuming we don’t stumble much more. But maybe I’m just trying to rationalize the loss?!
People look at game results and forget that FSU is pretty freaking loaded, talent-wise.

While FSU isn’t necessarily a top tier team, they present some real challenges with their length/defense, and will likely upset some other teams because of it. It’s a good game to get out of the way early, so we can test ourselves and see what needs to be done. I also love that it came as a back to back.

KJ should have gleaned a lot from this, as well as Cody. My worry is TDS. His play was tentative, passive, and basically like a freshman (no offense to Cody). His was the only performance that gave me any ominous feelings for the season. KJ will bounce back and adapt, Cody will simply improve with every game. But TDS? I don’t know. I’m kind of secretly hoping he was sick or hungover or something.

Last edited:
Well the llama was speculating that he was drunk.
Love TDS, but tell me he didn't look drunk out there. Bro was clanging shots, passing the ball to defenders directly in front of him, tripping over his feet, looking generally disinterested, etc. It was weird and reminded me of when me and the boys would play open gym lunch ball after getting wrecked the night before.

One thing I’m happy about is that the team has now decided it’s time to let Cody work through some growing pains running the point. It’s gonna cause us some heartburn now but it’ll pay off later in the season. I’m really glad Tad and Co gave him that responsibility at times against a pressing long team like FSU.

Marathon, not sprint.
Anything that takes the ball out of Hammond's hands, particularly in crunch time, is okay by me.

TDS will be a good pro because he won't be expected to take charge and lead a team.

We were intimidated, or at least made uncomfortable, on in-bound plays, when passing, when driving to the hoop. With those issues and not shooting well, I was surprised we made it to OT.

Over the years, the team is reflective of Tad's personality. Almost all the players are nice guys. It's hard to complain about that, but sometimes I wish they were a little meaner.

We're going to get killed by CSU in Fort Collins. lol, good job Tad, a real testament to the last 13 years coaching here that built up to this team
Ron Swanson No GIF

Back