What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sweet 16 thread

In an ironic twist, I contended that the Buffs deserved a invite over VCU. Now, if I want a shot at winning my office pool, I need VCU to beat FST and go to the Elite 8

We did. And I contend that VCU's success in the tourney underscores the fact that the Buffs could have made a deep run if we'd gotten the right matchups.

BYU's shot selection (including Jimmer) was horrible at times. Florida should have won that game going away.

Williams was ridiculous.

We did. And I contend that VCU's success in the tourney underscores the fact that the Buffs could have made a deep run if we'd gotten the right matchups.
If we were in VCU's spot I think we make it to exactly where they are now. Florida State has an extremely tough D. But if they could pull it out we would have a rematch with KU. I think we would have beaten them the 4th time.

Of the 4 or 5 BYU games I've watched this year, that was Jimmer's WORST performance by far. He forgot how to attack the basket and get to the line or create easy buckets for his teammates, he started settling for extremely difficult 25 footers. This Jimmer backlash if funny to me, there is no doubt in my mind he can be a JJ Redick caliber rotation guy in the NBA. He'll never be an all star, but he can play an important roll as a shooter and ball handler on a contender. Remember for BYU he had to create all the offense for that team, in the NBA he'll be allowed to spot up and shoot.

And Please Derrick Williams, go to the NBA. You frighten me.

Can someone explaint to me why its allowable for the guy with the ball to keep backing into a defender and the defender gets called for the foul? Not just backing in, but pretty much body slamming the defender, shoving the defender? That is what that ****ing goon for Marquette keeps doing and the officials just let it happen. There is no way on earth the UNC guy can hold his ground because he's outweighed by, like, 50 ****ing pounds by that goon.

And I can't stand UNC.

Still have yet to any teams we cant beat in this tournament besides maybe Ohio State, and Kansas has our number.

Watching Kansas just take apart Richmond in the first half and wondering how this CU team was not deserving. Kansas up 33 to 11. 4 in Boulder, blown out in Lawrence but 6 (if I remember correctly) in the Big 12 in KC. Oh well. These games are not close.

Not the most entertaining early games.
bored+jesus.jpeg

Can someone explaint to me why its allowable for the guy with the ball to keep backing into a defender and the defender gets called for the foul? Not just backing in, but pretty much body slamming the defender, shoving the defender? That is what that ****ing goon for Marquette keeps doing and the officials just let it happen. There is no way on earth the UNC guy can hold his ground because he's outweighed by, like, 50 ****ing pounds by that goon.

And I can't stand UNC.

Someone else can probably answer this better than me, but I think what happens is that the defender keeps moving and then either ends up fouling the guy or gets called for a block. But it has always seemed to me that if the defender would just hold his ground and not move his feet then the offensive player would get called for a charge.

Well on my way to a drunk posting night. Beers, wine and a bunch of ****ed up games that will not keep me interested. Hope the late games are better or this could be a long night.

I like Barkley's comments but Dude, buy a new sportsjacket or lose some of the belly. Chuck looks like he needed a sportscoat and Goodwill only had one close to his size.

i don't know what it is, and it sounds anathema.....i lose interest this weekend every year with the commercials at times 1000.

i like the scraps with the plurality, not the heavyweight boosterism and announcer ass-kissing.

So how weak is next year's Pac?

Has this tourney changed anyone's mind?

I think they'll send 5+ teams to the tourney.... (UW, UA, UCLA, CU, WSU/Oregon)...

So how weak is next year's Pac?

Has this tourney changed anyone's mind?

I think they'll send 5+ teams to the tourney.... (UW, UA, UCLA, CU, WSU/Oregon)...

if this year's CU team didn't make the NCAA, and next year's does minus Burks (more probable than less likely)....i'mma bet not.

honking the Pac, imma wait on that too.

No team has been able to hold onto the overall #1 all year. I'm not surprised. This year has been a down year for basketball, there isn't a group of clear favorites.

Do you guys find these defensive struggles in the 60s entertaining?

I guess the positive is that it makes for close games.

But basketball has a rhythm and is amazing when it's right. I don't think this does it. For those of you old enough to remember, college basketball feels to me in many ways like the NBA did when we went from the Lakers-Celtics in the 80s to those Pistons and Knicks teams.

One positive sign is that the teams like Kansas, North Carolina and Arizona are winning. They're fun to watch.

Has any 11 seed ever had an easier road? I mean, great for them, but, jeez.

Do you guys find these defensive struggles in the 60s entertaining?

I guess the positive is that it makes for close games.

But basketball has a rhythm and is amazing when it's right. I don't think this does it. For those of you old enough to remember, college basketball feels to me in many ways like the NBA did when we went from the Lakers-Celtics in the 80s to those Pistons and Knicks teams.

One positive sign is that the teams like Kansas, North Carolina and Arizona are winning. They're fun to watch.

i know what you are saying, but i don't like the "entertainment" aspect valuation of sport. sure, it exists. but, if CU was winning 60-58 tonight....who cares about that? winning ugly, bring it on.

Kansas is not "fun" to watch. except when they lose.

christ Nik, you've defended Jeff BZ enough that scoring 65 shouldn't be an issue. ;)

Has any 11 seed ever had an easier road? I mean, great for them, but, jeez.

You mean a 1 seed, Kansas? Their trek to the Final 4 is a joke.

i know what you are saying, but i don't like the "entertainment" aspect valuation of sport. sure, it exists. but, if CU was winning 60-58 tonight....who cares about that? winning ugly, bring it on.

Kansas is not "fun" to watch. except when they lose.

christ Nik, you've defended Jeff BZ enough that scoring 65 shouldn't be an issue. ;)

Completely agree, I don't care how my team wins. And I get absolutely no joy watching KU and UNC continue to win regardless of their style of play. KU is getting the easiest possible path a 1-seed can get, and Washington gift-wrapped that win for UNC last Sunday, so neither of those teams impress me.

But regardless of who I'm rooting for or against, I don't have a problem at all with low-scoring, defensive games. Just because games are low-scoring doesn't mean it's bad basketball, maybe they're actually playing some good halfcourt basketball instead of running up and down the floor like out of control street ball. Coaches are paid to win games and fans want to see their team win, but it doesn't have to be pretty.

I grew up in NC and my dad went to Chapel Hill, so I've been a Tarheel fan my whole life. I can understand a lot of the resentment around how the elite ACC teams are treated by the media, but I look at this particular UNC team a little differently than years past. They're young, athletically talented, but are coming off a year where they didn't make the Dance and were relegated to the NIT. They were picked in preseason polls to finish behind Duke and VT, which is of course a bit of a slap in the face for their tradition. They played crappy at the beginning of the season and came on stronger as the year wore on.

Not saying there are direct parallels, but the Buffs can look at where they are this year and see the potential of a young team building on a deep NIT run & taking that into the next season. I don't see near the arrogance on this UNC squad as I've seen in others, because last year was pretty humbling (Carolina fans' arrogance is another story). Now, the Buffs don't have near the talent pipeline that UNC does, but I can see Boyle showing his guys the path Carolina took from last year to this year and saying, "you guys are young, but capable of using the NIT to make a lot of noise next year." I know that's where any parallels end; because they also have world class facilities and a dedicated fan base in which men's bball supersedes all other sports by a wide margin. But the Buffs also showed they can play with anybody.

As for Carolina's run- Carolina earned a #2 seed with its wins in the last few months and the regular season ACC title; and the fact that they had a relatively easy path thus far is a function of having a good seed...as it should be. Can't fault the committee or media bias for that - the other 2 seeds played close by as well; Florida in Tampa, ND in Chicago, and SDSU in Tuscon. Those sites were selected long before the field was set, and they're all within a few hours. They got no easier a bracket than any other seed. I think a lot of folks picked WA to upset UNC; and they probably should have. I'd argue that Florida had the easiest path by far - an overrated BYU team that slightly over-performed in the Tourney and a marginal UCLA team were the strongest in their group.

As an overall #1 seed, OSU got screwed versus Kansas' bracket. No matter how young they are, having UNC and Kentucky in your bracket is always dangerous purely because of talent. Two HOF coaches and top 10 recruiting classes. KU's next 4 tops seeds were ****e - ND was schizophrenic & Purdue was suspect. I thought Louisville was the most dangerous team in their bracket & I picked them over KU for the Final Four slot. BUST.

I think Kentucky will take down UNC - their play has been just too inconsistent this year and they've barely survived too many games in the last few months. Unfortunately, this looks like KU's year again. :bang:

BTW- I'll always follow ACC basketball & root for the Tarheels; but if Carolina and the Buffs were to play, I'd be cheering for CU. Definitely my alma mater over my dad's.....

The key here is you guys saying you don't care how your team wins. Of course. As a fan, you embrace your team's success and whatever accomplishes it.

But that's not the same as saying you want to watch other teams play that style when you don't have a rooting interest and just want to be entertained by the sport.

Also, even though the bottom line with my team is that I want to win, there are still styles of play that I prefer. In basketball, I like up-tempo with a lot of offensive flow. I also like aggressive defense. Give me the Nuggets post-trade over the Nuggets pre-trade even with all things being equal in terms of record. I'll take the Buffs with Boyle's motion offense & man defense over the Buffs with Bz's Princeton offense and zone defense.

Football's completely the other way for me. I love smashmouth football. I'd much rather watch a defensive struggle than an offensive shootout. It would have been a struggle for me as a fan if the Buffs had gone to a wide open system like June Jones uses... even though Jones wins.

Back