What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle's Actions at the End of the Game

Agree 100%. However, I think it is a bigger accomplishment to win the conference regular season championship than to get hot at tourney time and win 3 or 4 in a row. I have no issues with teams hanging banners celebrating a regular season championship (at this point, I could easily get off on a tangent about how the new playoff system is going to diminish the regular season and eventually destroy the perfection that is college football, but I'll resist).

Buffnik's point is completely valid though -- in the current system, the Pac-12 (and every other D1 conference save the Ivy) has decreed they would give their "Conference Championship" title, and accompanying NCAA bid, to their tourney champ. The NIT bid that comes with the regular season championship is simply not valued.

Tournament is what counts. Regular season is about seeding for the tournament. That's our conference playoffs. Calling a team "Pac-12 Champs" because they won the regular season would be like if I went out and bought a Denver Broncos 2013 AFC Champions shirt after they earned the #1 seed.

Agree 100%. However, I think it is a bigger accomplishment to win the conference regular season championship than to get hot at tourney time and win 3 or 4 in a row. I have no issues with teams hanging banners celebrating a regular season championship (at this point, I could easily get off on a tangent about how the new playoff system is going to diminish the regular season and eventually destroy the perfection that is college football, but I'll resist).

Buffnik's point is completely valid though -- in the current system, the Pac-12 (and every other D1 conference save the Ivy) has decreed they would give their "Conference Championship" title, and accompanying NCAA bid, to their tourney champ. The NIT bid that comes with the regular season championship is simply not valued.
UCLA disagrees with you, but I'd have no problem raising at regular season championship banner at Coors.

I agree with you btw that the CFB Playoff could be a slippery slope (as I think you're implying), I'm fine with four teams, but no more, 8 max. I don't want to see 2 loss teams competing for the title (yes, I know UCLA won in that flukey year as a 2-loss team, but that was one of the more strange years).

UCLA disagrees with you, but I'd have no problem raising at regular season championship banner at Coors.

I agree with you btw that the CFB Playoff could be a slippery slope (as I think you're implying), I'm fine with four teams, but no more, 8 max. I don't want to see 2 loss teams competing for the title (yes, I know UCLA won in that flukey year as a 2-loss team, but that was one of the more strange years).

I'll go on the record as saying it's acceptable for a team with a loss and a tie to win the National Title.

Especially if they play the toughest schedule in the nation.

There's no ties in cfb anymore.

What?

9k=

howard-schnellenberger-p4.jpg

123943643_display_image.jpg

72342636_display_image.jpg

93287847_display_image.jpg

Tournament is what counts. Regular season is about seeding for the tournament. That's our conference playoffs. Calling a team "Pac-12 Champs" because they won the regular season would be like if I went out and bought a Denver Broncos 2013 AFC Champions shirt after they earned the #1 seed.

I have a minority position on this at least for CU fans, and it's probably somewhat because I'm surrounded by KU fans that wear shirts stating they have won 9 straight conference championships, but to me the regular season title has always been the conference championship. I just see the 18 game schedule to be a better barometer of how talented teams are then the Conference Tournament is.

In a healthy and thriving Pac-12, the reward for winning the Conference Tournament, is going to be moving up around 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. The failure for early elimination for a team with a very good conference record is going to be moving down 1 seed line. In a down year, it might function like the NFL playoffs where only one team gets in, but that hopefully is not the norm

Back