What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad has to go

It's Buffaloes (note the e) and Schwartz

If you're going to write a book about the team, at least spell the mascot correctly . . .
Not to be supporting either side in the message but according to the generic Google explanation:

“The plural of buffalo can be either buffaloes or buffalos.. ... Though buffaloes and buffalosare both accepted plurals, buffaloes is the more common of the two.”

Not to be supporting either side in the message but according to the generic Google explanation:

“The plural of buffalo can be either buffaloes or buffalos.. ... Though buffaloes and buffalosare both accepted plurals, buffaloes is the more common of the two.”
We aren't talking about the animal, the buffalo

We are talking about the Colorado Buffaloes, spelled with an E

How do you spell the name (in the singular and the plural) for this?

1578365027003.png

Warning ... it's a trap question. Just ask Dan Quayle.

I think Bey is gone (even if not 1st round) and Kin will be back. But yeah, agree, I would love for both to be back. I think Bey's draft position is pretty varied, and coming back may not hurt it too much, if at all. Just adding Barthelemy to this year's team (ball handling) would be huge, so if we could have a mature squad with tournament experience, we could make some noise.
Bey has so much to work on, especially one on one offense and his inside post game. I thought he was gone, but I think he will be compelled to stay and pursue a better shot at first round along with Kin.

Hmm let’s see here. We have wins against:
#9 AP Ranked team
#15 AP Ranked team

Losses against:
#3 AP Ranked team
#37 AP Ranked team (rcving votes)
56 Net ranking team

That’s pretty comparable to wins against:
#8 AP Ranked team
#13 AP Ranked team

Losses against:
#11 AP Ranked team
47 Net ranking team
219 Net ranking team

Hell, I’d actually say ours is better. We are better than Kentucky.
In all honesty, I think that we'd beat Kentucky on a neutral court close to an even split. I think their "A game" is going to be better than our "A game", but I also think that we're more consistently good at the things that mean winning basketball for our team. And the talent gap this year isn't overwhelming.

“Coach for life.” That’s an interesting term. Has any coach, anywhere, in any sport been deemed “Coach for life?” “Coach for life” is something that sort of evolves and isn’t some sudden declaration.

One day Tad will be in his late 60’s and still coaching the Buffs on a 2 year extension and we will realize, “Wow! Tad will retire after coaching the Buffs for 25 years!”
I recall that some details of Krzyzewski's contract leaked out several years ago describing a clause that allows him to keep renewing as coach and an AD position when that was done. I don't know if that term is used by Duke fans or admins, but I suspect they consider him as such.

I can't think of any of other current coaches who have earned that sort of position, official or otherwise, at their respective universities. Izzo/MSU and Boeheim/Syracuse are the closest I can think of.

I recall that some details of Krzyzewski's contract leaked out several years ago describing a clause that allows him to keep renewing as coach and an AD position when that was done. I don't know if that term is used by Duke fans or admins, but I suspect they consider him as such.

I can't think of any of other current coaches who have earned that sort of position, official or otherwise, at their respective universities. Izzo/MSU and Boeheim/Syracuse are the closest I can think of.

Yeah, exactly. I would also say Few/Zags is not going anywhere. Wright/Nova has probably achieved that status, as well as Williams/UNCHeat. Self at KU is interesting - he's rumored by multiple fan bases to be a phlandering scumbag, he has the NCAA on him, but KU fans love him. I guess he's achieved this hallowed status. The coaches for life are very few and far between. In spite of national success, I don't doubt that UK fans would get rid of Cal if he went through four bad years. I know he's signed a "coach for life" contract, but I have to believe that the contract has loopholes. I'm also not sure if that contract would have been offered and agreed up on if Cal were younger. UK fans are the most demanding in sports imo. Marshall at WSU has had great success, but I'm still not certain that he's achieved coach-for-life status. I love Bennett/UVa, but if he suffered a handful of consecutive bad years, I bet fans would start getting uneasy.

Coaches are paid quite well, and they must continue to perform over a long period of time to retain their jobs. Look at Gary Williams - he bled Terps, won a chip, and then "retired" suddenly when it was known people were unhappy about his lack of recent success. While not official, there's no way he willingly just agreed to hang it up.

Yeah, exactly. I would also say Few/Zags is not going anywhere. Wright/Nova has probably achieved that status, as well as Williams/UNCHeat. Self at KU is interesting - he's rumored by multiple fan bases to be a phlandering scumbag, he has the NCAA on him, but KU fans love him. I guess he's achieved this hallowed status. The coaches for life are very few and far between. In spite of national success, I don't doubt that UK fans would get rid of Cal if he went through four bad years. I know he's signed a "coach for life" contract, but I have to believe that the contract has loopholes. I'm also not sure if that contract would have been offered and agreed up on if Cal were younger. UK fans are the most demanding in sports imo. Marshall at WSU has had great success, but I'm still not certain that he's achieved coach-for-life status. I love Bennett/UVa, but if he suffered a handful of consecutive bad years, I bet fans would start getting uneasy.

Coaches are paid quite well, and they must continue to perform over a long period of time to retain their jobs. Look at Gary Williams - he bled Terps, won a chip, and then "retired" suddenly when it was known people were unhappy about his lack of recent success. While not official, there's no way he willingly just agreed to hang it up.
Williams is a great example of the grass not being greener as the fans tend to think. Very few places are set up to be able to sustain greatness. Getting to that mountain top of elite status is an outlier most places and you shouldn’t drop a coach who has shown he can get there (unless he’s no longer driven like he once was). If Williams hadn’t lost his fire then my reaction is that Terp boosters fell into the delusional idot trap.

Thinking Tad should be fired is stupid. However, many of the pro-Tad opinions that are frequently posted on here are equally stupid.

If he keeps averaging over 20 wins a season, making the post season 90% of the time and the Dance more years than not... I think that unless financial support and in-state talent changes that going away from Tad would be an absolute "grass is not always greener" / "victim of his own success" momentous mistake. Tad is very respected nationally for getting more out of less. I'm thankful to have him despite the frustration of days like today and some other missed opportunities (like Illinois & UConn in the tourney).

I think the in-state talent excuse is overrated. I'm not sure if there's any "data" that supports this but it seems that whereas football recruiting is primarily locally and regionally focused; Basketball recruiting is much more of a national thing. Of course it would help to have more recruits living within driving distance but I don't think CU's location is some insurmountable barrier to success.

Williams is a great example of the grass not being greener as the fans tend to think. Very few places are set up to be able to sustain greatness. Getting to that mountain top of elite status is an outlier most places and you shouldn’t drop a coach who has shown he can get there (unless he’s no longer driven like he once was). If Williams hadn’t lost his fire then my reaction is that Terp boosters fell into the delusional idot trap.

My family is huge Terps fans, and the story I remember with Gary leaving was a bit of the stars aligning. He didn't have much talent coming in and the talent he had was graduating (had a bit of a rebuilding job to do), and he was getting very frustrated with the recruiting world. So generally, it was seen that he was in a situation where he could leave at that point or go through a multi year rebuilding job, which isn't something I got the impression he wanted to do, nor did the school.

What is also interesting is some of his comments now about why he didn't recruit Kevin Durant (who played HS basketball in his back yard). I get the impression that he just had enough of what was going on, and didn't want to play the game anymore. Curious how much of the game he actually played, but generally I got the impression he was semi-clean in CBB standards.

My family is huge Terps fans, and the story I remember with Gary leaving was a bit of the stars aligning. He didn't have much talent coming in and the talent he had was graduating (had a bit of a rebuilding job to do), and he was getting very frustrated with the recruiting world. So generally, it was seen that he was in a situation where he could leave at that point or go through a multi year rebuilding job, which isn't something I got the impression he wanted to do, nor did the school.

What is also interesting is some of his comments now about why he didn't recruit Kevin Durant (who played HS basketball in his back yard). I get the impression that he just had enough of what was going on, and didn't want to play the game anymore. Curious how much of the game he actually played, but generally I got the impression he was semi-clean in CBB standards.

Alright, I'm willing to say I was too skeptic. From my viewpoint, just reading articles and opinion pieces, it seemed Gary Williams was politely pushed out. I had a Maryland friend at the time, and it was surprising to me how she wanted the guy out. It just seemed completely ungrateful imo.

I think the in-state talent excuse is overrated. I'm not sure if there's any "data" that supports this but it seems that whereas football recruiting is primarily locally and regionally focused; Basketball recruiting is much more of a national thing. Of course it would help to have more recruits living within driving distance but I don't think CU's location is some insurmountable barrier to success.

Dare I say it but I agree with this.

Recent ranked team losses to unranked teams:
  • UVa #18 to GT
  • Penn St #20 to Rutgers
  • Memphis #9 to UGa
  • Villanova #10 to Marquette
  • Ohio St #5 to Wisconsin
  • Oregon #4 to CU

That's just in the past 8 days.

If you are not Final 4 level elite, you are going to have the odd loss here and there. I'm mainly interested to see what happens next with CU as we all know we will have more 1-3-1 zone coming at us until we prove we can beat it.

Alright, I'm willing to say I was too skeptic. From my viewpoint, just reading articles and opinion pieces, it seemed Gary Williams was politely pushed out. I had a Maryland friend at the time, and it was surprising to me how she wanted the guy out. It just seemed completely ungrateful imo.

I will agree, I think there was a similar settlement going on there with Gary as we have with the FireTad people here. Maryland won a National Title, then their fans think that should be what happens every year. That said, I didn't get the impression there was a retire or you will be fired discussion, more of a I am tired of the unrealistic expectations, and having to play a recruiting game he wasn't comfortable with.

Regardless of your opinion of Ceal Barry, it was fairly similar situation from what I saw.

my memories of Gary Williams are of a coach who did little beyond scream at his players and throw temper tantrums during the entire games. I was genuinely surprised that any recruits wanted to play for him -- he was like a Bobby Knight except without the credibility of BK's multiple championships and outstanding player graduation rate.

Yeah. CU has such a proud basketball history. Are you serious? A bunch of pre-1970 irrelevant stuff, Chauncey and then the Tad era.

So every Buff before 1970 doesn’t count? Arbitrary lines are drawn by whom? Words no longer matter. "Greatest ever" means the whole history. It’s not for any of you to decide when it begins or ends. Blue blood programs are blue blood programs because they built off of their early success. History is one of the strongest ingredients to the success of college sports.

You guys like to glorify mediocrity and ignore the factual existence of actual CU basketball accomplishments just so you can say “Tad is the greatest ever." What a pathetic agenda and it’s completely disrespectful to the Buffs who came before you.

So every Buff before 1970 doesn’t count? Arbitrary lines are drawn by whom? Words no longer matter. "Greatest ever" means the whole history. It’s not for any of you to decide when it begins or ends. Blue blood programs are blue blood programs because they built off of their early success. History is one of the strongest ingredients to the success of college sports.

You guys like to glorify mediocrity and ignore the factual existence of actual CU basketball accomplishments just so you can say “Tad is the greatest ever." What a pathetic agenda and it’s completely disrespectful to the Buffs who came before you.
Are you trying to make the case that an NIT or NCAA run prior to WW2 has any relevance to what our expectations of the CU hoops program should be in the 2020s?

I thought I was being generous by going back 50 years.

Recent ranked team losses to unranked teams:
  • UVa #18 to GT
  • Penn St #20 to Rutgers
  • Memphis #9 to UGa
  • Villanova #10 to Marquette
  • Ohio St #5 to Wisconsin
  • Oregon #4 to CU

That's just in the past 8 days.

If you are not Final 4 level elite, you are going to have the odd loss here and there. I'm mainly interested to see what happens next with CU as we all know we will have more 1-3-1 zone coming at us until we prove we can beat it.

How many of those losses were at home?
How many were with a 10 point lead late in the second half?

This was just a bad loss to a good team. It was a game we should have won.

Here's what happens when you fire good coaches looking for greener grass. Just saying, be careful what you wish for. (10 min before tip-off, Wyoming vs #7 SDSU)

Wow, I remember when Wyoming was sold out and a tough place to win.

Back