What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad has to go

Just to set a baseline. How many times does everyone expect to be in the dance and NIT in a 10 year period? I don't think it is unreasonable to be in the dance at least 5 of 10 years, NIT 3 more years, and two years of rebuild/ bad injuries.
That's fair.

Dear Rick George;

After 6 seasons as a season ticket holder, I'm decided not to renew my tickets next year to CU basketball. I no longer believe this program can be competitive.

Yesterday's loss was embarrassing. Today's loss was really embarrassing. I can successfully embarrass myself without CU's help, thank you very much.

I like Tad (a lot) and his character (a lot) and have great respect for his focus on developing fine young men. That is job 1. Job 2 is winning. I full confidence in the results of Job 1. As to Job 2, I have no belief that CU will ever be anything but a low-mid-tier program. And frankly, my entertainment dollars are best spent elsewhere.

Best wishes for future success of CU basketball.

Buh bye.

-Puddinhead

i've had a few cocktails; i am a casual bb fan at best; and i am a contemporary of tad boyle (he's older than me) in colorado high school athletics.

all those caveats aside, i think some of you people are ****ed in the head. like royally, irreconcilably, irredeemably, and inconceivably ****ED in the head. tad boyle has done something that no one in the modern age of college basketball has achieved here. you dumb ****ing dumb asses want to fire him because he.lost.a.game.

this is not a traditional bb power. to say we were starting at ground zero is overstating how ****ed this program was. tad ****ing boyle has made this program relevant and credible.

seriously, some of you ****s need to go stand on the freeway at midnight in black clothing and let nature take its inevitable course. the fact that you've made it this far in life is a testament to god's good grace and the luck granted to the world's dumb ****s.

that is all.
Lost to Hawaii?!? Great coach still?

Dear Rick George;

After 6 seasons as a season ticket holder, I'm decided not to renew my tickets next year to CU basketball. I no longer believe this program can be competitive.

Yesterday's loss was embarrassing. Today's loss was really embarrassing. I can successfully embarrass myself without CU's help, thank you very much.

I like Tad (a lot) and his character (a lot) and have great respect for his focus on developing fine young men. That is job 1. Job 2 is winning. I full confidence in the results of Job 1. As to Job 2, I have no belief that CU will ever be anything but a low-mid-tier program. And frankly, my entertainment dollars are best spent elsewhere.

Best wishes for future success of CU basketball.

Buh bye.

-Puddinhead

And the reason you didn’t have season tickets before 6 years ago was?

I lived out of state. The commute on game day was a nightmare.
tenor.gif

Been saying it for 4-5 years ... Tad and his staff simply cannot identify high-level guard talent. Just can’t. Every damn year it’s the same thing. Guards that can shoot and/or finish in the paint and/or create for others. Choose 2 of 3. Every reasonably successful team in the country has 2-3 that fit that description. We have one ... and only have him by pure dumb luck.

I think we’ve hit a ceiling with Tad. We’re gonna lose a lot of games in a really awful year for the P12.

It was fun laughing at all the terrible losses the Pac12 was taking on a weekly basis until we joined in on the fun. I understand people being very disappointed and disgusted by that. The team has looked very vulnerable most of the year and it felt like only a matter of time before we finally took a couple terrible losses.

I like Tad and don’t want him gone. I’m someone who doesn’t care at all about NCAA tourney wins. Getting to the tourney marks a very successful season in my mind and only after several disappointing tourney losses would I consider changing my mind (or if we start pulling in great recruiting classes to the point that losing in the first round is seen as underperforming severely).

These two losses were beyond frustrating tho, it was really hard to watch knowing the team should be better than that. I’ll be extremely disappointed if conference play is a fail as well.

And the reason you got season tickets after you moved back from Nebraska to Colorado was?

Never lived in Nebraska. Lived in Texas. Liked the tex-met food. Hated the giant flying roaches and the rodents and the snakes and the heat and the attitude and ... we'll, you get th idea.

Got season tix because I love the buffs. Wait... is that bad?

Last edited:
I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of men's college basketball these days. The amount of money it takes to recruit (legally) the level of talent it would take to put the Buffs at the top of the Pac 12. How CU's facilities stack up with other P5 programs. Etc.

What I have felt for at least a year is that Tad is in some ways the victim of his own success. Winning at level unprecedented in modern CU men's basketball history very quickly in his time in Boulder. Having multiple players make it to the NBA. Getting the decibel level to dizzying heights in the CEC. All these have led to expectations by many who post here that are historically high.

So this leaves the RG in a tough position. Attendance has been going down over the past few seasons and given what's happened in Hawai'i it's bot gonna get better this season. At the same time, Tad has without a doubt been the best coach the program has had in my lifetime - and I'm not a spring chicken.

I get the sense that revenue from men's basketball has never been a major part of the athletic department's budget. But it's not gonna get better with the current trajectory of the team. A bit like the football team prior to the coaching change, season tickets are gonna be a tough sell for next season.

Lost to Hawaii?!? Great coach still?

how do i say this, within the bounds of civil discourse?

hmmm...

i know.

your mother sucks.cocks,in,hell.

there. that did it.

ok, kidding aside. i suspect that you are too young to understand that we've always sucked at bb, well, at least for 70ish years or so. you have to make a choice; do you want football greatness or bb greatness? because, you cannot have both, as a regular thing. you can, sometimes, achieve both, but it is a rarity.

i am in a state of grace with the choices we've made and the direction we are heading. there are lots of bb first schools out there that you can root for.

i should, i suppose, add another insult, just for posterity... ok. die.in.a.fire.

that should do it.

cheers.

CU basketball has foundered and is now slowly going backwards. It is sad how much momentum was wasted from when the program was on an upward trajectory.

Luckily for Tad, Football is finally getting the attention it deserves and I only want basketball addressed if it doesn’t take away resources and admin support from football.

Anybody who thinks tad should be on thin ice needs to be tied to a chair and made to watch games from the tom apke era, or the tom miller era for that matter. As someone who vividly remembers those 50 point losses to kansas and oklahoma and missouri, I respectfully suggest that people calm down and remember that our best big man is out for the year.

Anybody who thinks tad should be on thin ice needs to be tied to a chair and made to watch games from the tom apke era, or the tom miller era for that matter. As someone who vividly remembers those 50 point losses to kansas and oklahoma and missouri, I respectfully suggest that people calm down and remember that our best big man is out for the year.
Tad has to figure out how to get his teams to play good basketball away from Boulder. That's a lingering problem that is really getting to me.

I think a lot of people over-rate the impact of not having Dallas this year. Our problem is at the 2 and the 3. We're not getting anything from those spots in too many games. When we've had Namon or Schwartz go off, the team rolls. Waiting for Gatling to bust out and become a consistent 2 guard who basically gives us 2 PGs on the court. I think he's having trouble adjusting to not having the ball in his hands.

I’d really love to know who, exactly, we should replace him with? Who are we going to get to come here and do a better job than he has done?
This. All of these "fans" calling for his head act like we have a coach dying to come here. Tad is an olympic level coach who is very well respected and it seems he could be at a more major program if it weren't for CU being his dream job. The support of our bball team is pitiful, nobody ever goes to games and the stadium isn't anything special. Why would any recruit choose here over a big time program? Be grateful as **** that Tad wants to be at CU, I see him in the UMC handing out tickets multiple times a year. Look at all the players we have put into the NBA. Cant believe some of the **** I've read on here, idk if some of you are just angry people or stupid or both

Edit: Last year have gone differently if we didn't lose battey to some NCAA bs. Tad is playing against a stacked deck at every turn yet is able to beat teams like Arizona who literally pay for their players.

The excuses here are terrible.

CU can't win because they have never won. There are lots of schools that don't have a huge basketball history until they made a commitment to basketball.
Colorado is 269th all time in win percentage here are some schools that are similar.
San Diego State 230th (poor historical performance. become tournament regulars with appearances in 7 of last 9 years)
Wisconsin 178th (didn't sniff the dance for almost 50 years, then turned into regulars. Played for a championship)
Iowa State 287th (made the dance 6 of the last 7 seasons)
And there are others, Baylor, Oregon, and Florida - we probably can't or may not want to emulate their programs, but it is possible. Tad has shown us that we can have a packed house and make the dance 4 out of 5 years. We can have recruits that play at the next level, we can win conference championships. All of that is possible at Colorado

It is the fan's fault. Let's face it, winning begets attendance. If the program is winning, attendance won't be a problem. The keg was packed a few seasons ago, when we were post-season regulars. To say that recruits won't come here because of attendance is a strange argument. There are many schools that pull in better players with worse attendance. Tad needs to think about the offensive and defensive systems he runs, because he either can't get players that can't run it properly or fails to identify flaws in their game.

We need football back in a big way at CU. We need to see a packed stadium and regular 8+ win seasons. Tucker was such a critical hire for our entire AD, I don't know if we can afford a mistake.

The excuses here are terrible.

CU can't win because they have never won. There are lots of schools that don't have a huge basketball history until they made a commitment to basketball.
Colorado is 269th all time in win percentage here are some schools that are similar.
San Diego State 230th (poor historical performance. become tournament regulars with appearances in 7 of last 9 years)
Wisconsin 178th (didn't sniff the dance for almost 50 years, then turned into regulars. Played for a championship)
Iowa State 287th (made the dance 6 of the last 7 seasons)
And there are others, Baylor, Oregon, and Florida - we probably can't or may not want to emulate their programs, but it is possible. Tad has shown us that we can have a packed house and make the dance 4 out of 5 years. We can have recruits that play at the next level, we can win conference championships. All of that is possible at Colorado

It is the fan's fault. Let's face it, winning begets attendance. If the program is winning, attendance won't be a problem. The keg was packed a few seasons ago, when we were post-season regulars. To say that recruits won't come here because of attendance is a strange argument. There are many schools that pull in better players with worse attendance. Tad needs to think about the offensive and defensive systems he runs, because he either can't get players that can't run it properly or fails to identify flaws in their game.

We need football back in a big way at CU. We need to see a packed stadium and regular 8+ win seasons. Tucker was such a critical hire for our entire AD, I don't know if we can afford a mistake.
The difference is that the schools you mentioned committed to becoming real good at basketball at the administrative level.

The difference is that the schools you mentioned committed to becoming real good at basketball at the administrative level.

what does that mean? What is lacking from the AD here that the other schools have?

what does that mean? What is lacking from the AD here that the other schools have?
Think about all that was built in the Champions Center to support football with all of the things for training, recovery, tutoring, meeting and hanging out. More of that stuff needs to be available at the actual facility where the BB & VB athletes spend their time. All the support staff that has been hired to support players, assist with recruiting and assist the coaches in football needs to be replicated at a smaller scale. The recruiting budget with access to a private plane. The salaries paid to attract top talent for coaches. That's what we need to do for our arena sports complex & sports (MBB, WBB, VB). And we need to also spend money to market the program, including a major push with students.

I believe that what we really need to have happen is to demolish the Keg and build a modern facility. 40 year old facility that can't maximize revenue potential (no luxury boxes or loge seating, no acoustics to host concerts). Maybe that group that did the project for UT ($300M new arena that cost the school nothing) would be interested in the same sort of deal at CU where they get concessions & parking + a bigger chunk of concert revenue for 10 years until their investment is recouped and then it goes to a more balanced revenue share on those things.

Tad has to figure out how to get his teams to play good basketball away from Boulder. That's a lingering problem that is really getting to me.

I think a lot of people over-rate the impact of not having Dallas this year. Our problem is at the 2 and the 3. We're not getting anything from those spots in too many games. When we've had Namon or Schwartz go off, the team rolls. Waiting for Gatling to bust out and become a consistent 2 guard who basically gives us 2 PGs on the court. I think he's having trouble adjusting to not having the ball in his hands.
I’ve determined through astute observation that the best way to win a road bb game is to have much better players than your opponent. This overcomes whatever marginal advantage it is to play at home. I assume you are referring to the long-term deficiency Tad’s teams have had on the road rather than just this year. This year’s team just hasn’t yet shown it is good, because they haven’t competed with a good team yet (I would consider SD a marginally good team, and that didn’t turn out so well).

We know McKinley can be good - he was impressive last year in the PAC 12. Bey seems good, but again the conference is where “good” is measured. Battey - still waiting for him to play good competition. Buff fans have constructed a ‘talented’ team without the evidence, based on weak opponents. Thus the bafflement when we can’t beat ISU or Hawaii, with all our ‘talent.’

Maybe they’ll step up for the conference season - until then we really don’t have an accurate assessment of this team’s talent.

Last edited:
IMO you can blame our mediocrity in the last 5 years on one thing: guard play. Tad has had a series of BIG misses recruiting guards in the last 5 years ... Talton, Akyazili, Peters, Brown, Hopkins, Fletcher, Stalzer. That’s a glaring series of guards who did nothing for us. Even Collier had to come off the bench as a senior and never was the player we expected.

Two transfers - Namon and Fortune - flashed occasionally but overall were very underwhelming and at times were total liabilities.

Our best 2 guards in that stretch are anomalies. We got super lucky to get a year out of Derrick White. Why didn’t Tad get him before that? If you watch highlights from his sophomore and junior year at CUCS, he showed a lot of that play making ability. It wasn’t like he was a late bloomer.

And MW should honestly be at Dayton or Indiana. Random series of events drops him into our laps. Incredibly lucky to get him.

Guards are the key. Tad has a total blind spot at the 2 and 3. If he doesn’t solve that, this new mediocrity is our ceiling.

Back