What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Yes. I did not say that was a disqualification, just a slight risk. Mel Tucker was the same.
Lots of the best head coaches have succeeded in that same scenario, some though are exposed.
My concern would be his general lack of experience. Two years as a position coach and two years as a coordinator at a P5 program. Obviously very highly thought of to rise that quickly, but he is definitely high risk/high reward.

I joined the CU fandom in 2001. I'm a curse. Time to use my powers for good. After I celebrate another National championship!!
Indiana Jones GIF

Cristobal didn’t elevate Oregon.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
They are back to the level that Helfrich had them at for all but his last year. 7 conference wins being the norm. Recruited really well.

Look at what they did this year in losing to Stanford, which was a BAD team. Getting pummeled twice by Utah and also winning some really close games vs Fresno State, Cal and UCLA. I think this is a top 10 talent team that played like a #25 team.

I don't believe he's elevated them to national CFB playoffs level. Cristobal seems like a good coach and great recruiter. But I don't see that he has shown that he's elite. Since you added about 112 laughing faces, please make your case. Did you watch them get embarrassed?

They are back to the level that Helfrich had them at for all but his last year. 7 conference wins being the norm. Recruited really well.

Look at what they did this year in losing to Stanford, which was a BAD team. Getting pummeled twice by Utah and also winning some really close games vs Fresno State, Cal and UCLA. I think this is a top 10 talent team that played like a #25 team.

I don't believe he's elevated them to national CFB playoffs level. Cristobal seems like a good coach and great recruiter. But I don't see that he has shown that he's elite. Since you added about 112 laughing faces, please make your case. Did you watch them get embarrassed?
He is a good coach, he is not elite. My prediction is that he will last 4-5 yrs at Miami and he Miami will show only slight improvement

Big time programs don't hire someone who has never been the HC before. We all know Ducks are not blue bloods - clearly their fan base isn't exactly on to that factoid yet. Also, compared to the earth shaking USC hire this was bottom of page 10 news. I guess the pope (Urban) didn't answer Phil's call.

Big time programs don't hire someone who has never been the HC before. We all know Ducks are not blue bloods - clearly their fan base isn't exactly on to that factoid yet. Also, compared to the earth shaking USC hire this was bottom of page 10 news. I guess the pope (Urban) didn't answer Phil's call.
Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Ohio State aren't elite?

You said he did not elevate them. That means he didn’t improve them at all.

1) He had them in two NY6 bowls in 2 of the 4 years he was in charge.
2) He had them as an elite national recruiting power (Top 5) whereas they were mostly a teens to 20s recruiting team prior.
3) He took over a program that was mismanaged by Willie Taggert and Mark Helfrich the prior two seasons.

The Oregon program that Dan Lanning is taking over is much better than the program Mario Cristobal received. Their upside is also higher, especially since they’re already versed in the type of recruiting structure that Lanning will continue.

I laughed a lot because you made a blanket exaggerated statement. No need to reply.

He is a good coach, he is not elite. My prediction is that he will last 4-5 yrs at Miami and he Miami will show only slight improvement
If he can lock down Miami Dade the way the U once did, they will be elite very soon, particularly since the ACC is ripe for disruption with Clemson losing key pieces.

BYU fan hack your account?

If he can lock down Miami Dade the way the U once did, they will be elite very soon, particularly since the ACC is ripe for disruption with Clemson losing key pieces.
Agree but that is a big if.

a recruiting standpoint he seems to be able to sell the vision to highly ranked players.

I just have never been particularly impressed with how his teams play. They seem sloppy and undisciplined.

We will see. I’m not a buyer but I wouldn’t sell either.

You said he did not elevate them. That means he didn’t improve them at all.

1) He had them in two NY6 bowls in 2 of the 4 years he was in charge.
2) He had them as an elite national recruiting power (Top 5) whereas they were mostly a teens to 20s recruiting team prior.
3) He took over a program that was mismanaged by Willie Taggert and Mark Helfrich the prior two seasons.

The Oregon program that Dan Lanning is taking over is much better than the program Mario Cristobal received. Their upside is also higher, especially since they’re already versed in the type of recruiting structure that Lanning will continue.

I laughed a lot because you made a blanket exaggerated statement. No need to reply.
By Elevate, I was comparing them to what Oregon fans were used to with Chip Kelly and every year under Helfrich except the disaster 1 year. They were only down 1 year under Helfrich and had an improvement year under Taggert (made a bowl). Nobody is screaming about what a great job Taggert did!

Cristobal's best season was actually year 2 when he went 8-1 in conference. Year 3 and Year 4 were not as good. Doesn't scream superstar.

Oregon was NEVER ONCE a top 5 recruiting power. In fact, they were not in the top 20 when he resigned!

He absolutely took over a program that was mismanaged by Willie Taggert and Mark Helfrich. But Helfrich's record was pretty much identical to Cristobal's except for ONE SEASON (the one where it fell apart). Nobody was calling him a superstar back then.

The program he got from Taggert was not in that bad of shape. They'd been recruiting top 20 for a long time. Yes, he improved recruiting. He also improved them back to the level that was standard under Helfrich, but not as good as under Chip Kelly. Numbers are there.

And NOBODY is going to claim that the PAC12 is tougher today than it was 5, 10, or 15 years ago. Competition is poor at the moment.

He made them better, he's a solid coach for sure. But he didn't "elevate them" to a serious national power and I think his Miami contract is paying him as though he did. That's big money and I have many coaches that I think are better. We will see.

Some risk Lanning sees it as a stepping stone like the last 2 head coaches from the Southeast.
But probably worth that risk.
When a guy like Chris Petersen can't hack it anymore, there's perhaps literally nobody who fits the mold that the west coast programs all want. If a dude leaves in 3-4 for a bigger/better job, it's probably because he was winning. Kalen DeBoer is from South Dakota. Chip is from New Hampshire. Justin Wilcox doesn't exactly scream west coast coaching legend at this point.

Their last two coaches had short stints and didn’t really elevate them. If Lanning were to do the same, that doesn’t move them forward. But on top of that , Lanning isn’t a proven head coach, who’s head coach was also a DC.

I have never even heard Lanning speak so maybe he’s a no brainer. But on paper I like Wilcox better for all 3 reasons. Former Duck, track record as a Head Coach, and didn’t have Kirby backing him up.
Yeah, Lanning is a risk, but Wilcox? Come on. What has he proven as a head coach, that he wins 3 conference games a year? His experience as a head coach is as a loser. So the only reason Oregon should hire him is "he was a Duck"? This "logic" bouncing around that Lanning is bad hire because he had success blows my mind. I guess Oregon should have poached Karl Dorrell instead.

Durrrr like when Ohio St hired Ryan Day, or Oklahoma hired Lincoln Riley or Bob Stoops, or Clemson hired Dabo Swinney?

idiot-stupid.gif

Additionally, you're outright making **** up. I haven't spoken to a single Duck fan who believes Lanning will be here in 5 years without some kind of godfather offer, if he wins. USC with Riley > Oregon with Lanning. If you have to lie as part of your **** talking, well see the above image.

Last edited:
The program he got from Taggert was not in that bad of shape. They'd been recruiting top 20 for a long time. Yes, he improved recruiting. He also improved them back to the level that was standard under Helfrich, but not as good as under Chip Kelly. Numbers are there.
Every single one of Cristobal's classes at Oregon(until this one fell apart) was higher ranked/rated than every single one of Chip's at Oregon.

Agree but that is a big if.

a recruiting standpoint he seems to be able to sell the vision to highly ranked players.

I just have never been particularly impressed with how his teams play. They seem sloppy and undisciplined.

We will see. I’m not a buyer but I wouldn’t sell either.
The U will take 10 wins a year. They are in a very good spot to get good again when they’re in on great players.

The U will take 10 wins a year. They are in a very good spot to get good again when they’re in on great players.
You could certainly be right.
Two questions remain:
1. Will the U be able to turn the kids that are now going to Alabama, Georgia, etc. (NIL will play an interesting role here)
2. Is Cristobal a good football coach? I think his teams underperformed their recruiting ranking.

I don’t dislike the guy but I still think he is unproven.

You could certainly be right.
Two questions remain:
1. Will the U be able to turn the kids that are now going to Alabama, Georgia, etc. (NIL will play an interesting role here)
2. Is Cristobal a good football coach? I think his teams underperformed their recruiting ranking.

I don’t dislike the guy but I still think he is unproven.
1) if they can lock down Miami Dade like before, yes.
2) 9-10 wins a year is very doable in the ACC.

1) if they can lock down Miami Dade like before, yes.
2) 9-10 wins a year is very doable in the ACC.
Serious question, Does Miami still have the boosters to compete with the SEC NIL $$?
My feeling is that the high flying, party, hookers and blow crowd that funded the U during the eighties heyday has dried up.
What are your thoughts?

Serious question, Does Miami still have the boosters to compete with the SEC NIL $$?
My feeling is that the high flying, party, hookers and blow crowd that funded the U during the eighties heyday has dried up.
What are your thoughts?
Yeah. Dried up for sure.

1639331864478.jpeg

Back