What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Allbuffs Coaching Candidate list

I'm definitely leaning towards a OC/DC type. Someone that will come in and lock down at least one side of the ball. Paul Chryst definitely appeals to me. He can open it up too, he was OC of Oregon State for a year and they had a 4,000 yard passer and a 1,500 yard rusher.

Jim McElwain is pretty intriguing. West coast guy that can coach up a solid balanced attack. Al Golden turned it around at Temple, but I have a hard time loving the lovable loser type coach these days. I liked DeWayne Walker a lot last year, but he is having a hell of a time turning around NMSU. He's a hell of a DC and an amazing socal recruiter, maybe we can hope he gets fired and we can bring him in as a DC to couple with one of the aforementioned OCs.

Wow, never seen a picture of McElwain before and I gotta say...he looks like a pu**y in that photo. I shouldn't judge him based on one picture, but for some reason, I'm disappointed.

Here's a good quote from the Minnesota AD:
"Obviously I hired a football coach that didn't win enough games, and I'll take responsibility for that," Maturi said, and he clearly doesn't want to make the same mistake twice, and that is the biggest reason he chose not to wait."

Wow, never seen a picture of McElwain before and I gotta say...he looks like a pu**y in that photo. I shouldn't judge him based on one picture, but for some reason, I'm disappointed.
:lol:
Here's some more pics for ya.
images
images
images
images

Throwing this name out here:

Ken Norton, Jr., LB - Seahawks

He has never been a coordinator and that will be the biggest hangup for most. Not saying I endorse him as a HC either, but it would be interesting to add him to the mix. He has a "big time" name in both California and Texas. He has proven to recruit and develop NFL talent. No way to know if he could handle running a program, or if tapping the Carroll coaching tree is too risky or not, but he could be an "up and coming" coaching talent, the same way Bieniemy is.

Andy Ludwig, OC - Cal

His name doesn't get floated around the media as much as others, but his name cropped up in last year's coaching carousel discussions.

Throwing this name out here:

Ken Norton, Jr., LB - Seahawks

He has never been a coordinator and that will be the biggest hangup for most. Not saying I endorse him as a HC either, but it would be interesting to add him to the mix. He has a "big time" name in both California and Texas. He has proven to recruit and develop NFL talent. No way to know if he could handle running a program, or if tapping the Carroll coaching tree is too risky or not, but he could be an "up and coming" coaching talent, the same way Bieniemy is.

Andy Ludwig, OC - Cal

His name doesn't get floated around the media as much as others, but his name cropped up in last year's coaching carousel discussions.
They're both up. :thumbsup:

The more I think about it the more I like Leach. He has the ability to recruit has an explosive system and could roll in and get the Buffs to a bowl next year. The only thing I hope he has learned is to find a good d-coordinator. He got jobbed at TECH.

The more I think about it the more I like Leach. He has the ability to recruit has an explosive system and could roll in and get the Buffs to a bowl next year. The only thing I hope he has learned is to find a good d-coordinator. He got jobbed at TECH.

leach wont be a fit in boulder... the hippies will lynch him... and i do mean lynch

Let's try to get this list more ridiculous than the minnesota list at their forums...

Zombie Bear Bryant

Would love to see Belotti - not enough money
Muschamp - see above
McElwain - think he holds out and goes to LSU/Mich/UCLA
Kirby Smart - the guy we should be going after at Bama - probably going to get the UGA job

David Shaw- Maybe??
Gus Malzhan- Maybee??

-- After listening to Mac's speach from the luncheon before th Georgia game on leadership and using EB at the '90 Texas game, I think he's campaigning for both of them. Mac wants the job but if they won't give it to him then he wants EB. I also found it interesting that Bohn annouced they would be having an reunion for the 2001 Big XII Championship team next year. -- Don't think that happens if they don't know Hawk is already a gonner. Anyway

The more I think about it, the more I'd really like to see David Shaw from Stanford be our next HC. I think he'd go over really well with the faculty, Stanford alum, he has the same sort of system that has been successful at CU - physical offense with a good running game. And he knows the PAC-10

I am still not sold on McElwain. He has all the talent in the world. How can we know if it is his coaching or if it is just he has better players? Now if he is the one principally responsible for recruiting these players then I would come around to him.

This program is so lost, we need Mac to resurrect it. He would be at the top my list.

I am still not sold on McElwain. He has all the talent in the world. How can we know if it is his coaching or if it is just he has better players? Now if he is the one principally responsible for recruiting these players then I would come around to him.

This program is so lost, we need Mac to resurrect it. He would be at the top my list.

Mac hasn't coached in 16 years. He hasn't resurrected a program in 24 years. College football has changed a lot since he was last around it. You can't look at his past success when determining if he'll be good now, when that past success is older than the players on the current team.

Mac hasn't coached in 16 years. He hasn't resurrected a program in 24 years. College football has changed a lot since he was last around it. You can't look at his past success when determining if he'll be good now, when that past success is older than the players on the current team.

He has proven he can motivate, adapt and hire competent assistant coaches. We also know he is great in a living room. Hiring someone else if fine with me, but I just feel like we are not taking much of a chance by hiring Mac. Plus we will likely see the heavy donors come to the party with Mac on board.

I'm not big on Leach. He's the football equivalent of Bob Knight. But with no championships.

Really, look at his record. He got to bowl games a lot because there were basically 5 wins engineered into the schedule. (3 non-conference cupcakes + Baylor + basement north team). Hell, DII Dan beat him with the worst CU team in quarter century! His one really good year he had Crabtree. Gee, its tough to offensively gameplan with him. Get him the ball, he's really good.

I'm not big on Leach. He's the football equivalent of Bob Knight. But with no championships.

Really, look at his record. He got to bowl games a lot because there were basically 5 wins engineered into the schedule. (3 non-conference cupcakes + Baylor + basement north team). Hell, DII Dan beat him with the worst CU team in quarter century! His one really good year he had Crabtree. Gee, its tough to offensively gameplan with him. Get him the ball, he's really good.

I know at least one staff that wouldn't figure that out.

No on Calhoun, No on Leach.

McElwain;
Mac;
Golden;
English;
would be my list, hell, who am I kidding, I'd take ANY coach at this point...

Because that is usually the ticket for gettign a succesful coach. Mac was an assistant at a top program, Stoops was an assistant at a top program, Pelini was an assistant at a top program. I could go on and on. IMO the best thing is to find an assistant that has been around a true winner. Those type of guys are foaming at the mouth to get their own gig, and they know what it takes to win.

Because that is usually the ticket for gettign a succesful coach. Mac was an assistant at a top program, Stoops was an assistant at a top program, Pelini was an assistant at a top program. I could go on and on. IMO the best thing is to find an assistant that has been around a true winner. Those type of guys are foaming at the mouth to get their own gig, and they know what it takes to win.

Well at least he is another Mac (or Mc). Maybe that is the key to success? At this point I would be fine with Bugs Bunny.

anyone want to add Dave Doeren to the list? He is the DC and recruiting coordinator for Wisconsin? Last time we got a DC from the Big 10 it worked out good for us. I think he would be worth someone looking at and is really flying under the radar.

anyone want to add Dave Doeren to the list? He is the DC and recruiting coordinator for Wisconsin? Last time we got a DC from the Big 10 it worked out good for us. I think he would be worth someone looking at and is really flying under the radar.

I like the idea of a defensive coordinator.

Back