What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Allbuffs Coaching Candidate list

Former coach Mike Bellotti says he would listen to overtures

By Rob Moseley
The Register-Guard

Appeared in print: Friday, Oct 22, 2010
Former Oregon head coach Mike Bellotti, who earlier this week was tabbed by a newspaper as a potential candidate for the open job at Minnesota, didn’t rule out a return to the coaching ranks during an interview Thursday.

“I don’t know; we’ll see,” said Bellotti, now an analyst for ESPN. “I like what I’m doing. The travel is a little crazy, but I’m dealing with it. If the right job came up, I would listen. But right now I like doing what I’m doing.”

On Monday, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune suggested Bellotti among 15 potential candidates to replace Tim Brewster, who was fired by the Gophers on Sunday. The list contained such longshot candidates as Chris Petersen of Boise State and former NFL head coach Tony Dungy, who has already turned down an offer.

Bellotti won a school-record 116 games against 55 losses while head coach of the Ducks from 1995-2008, having served as offensive coordinator for six seasons before that. He hired Chip Kelly as offensive coordinator in 2007, moved to athletic director at Oregon when Kelly became head coach in 2009 and left this spring after less than a year in the new position.

This from the Denver Post, Auburn's Gus Malzahn...http://www.denverpost.com/henderson/ci_16424543

For anyone who thinks he's only doing so well because of Newton, he turned around Auburn's offense last year before Newton was around, and also had very good success as OC at Tulsa. I suppose the big question with him is does he have enough experience as a coordinator at the BCS level (3 years counting this one)?

I'm just going to say it...hire SYKO, we'd recruit 12 DL every year, shift to the 9-1-1 D and there would be no further wussification allowed...oh and he'd probably finally be able to get Russell Lovett in here. I say do it.

I've never seen the name "Gus" go bad. Well, there was a shoplifting incident on the hill, but aside from that, people named Gus are rock solid.

I named my kid Gus, for the record. I figured it gives him the best chance in life, with his limited genes and whatnot.

This Coach sounds like a sure bet to me.

Pure entertainment. A whole new side of you Wally that I did not know was there. Rep that!

I'm kind of surprised how the coaching search is going. Or at least how we think it's going. I guess I expected a broader search from Mike.

Bottom line, I'm driving the Eric Bieniemy bandwagon at this point. I want him to be the next coach at CU.

I don't think we could get Gus from Auburn, Mac is way too old and past his prime, Leach wouldn't be considered with his baggage from last year with Craig James son, and Troy Calhoun runs the wishbone. Was never impressed with Bellotti at Oregon and I seem to recall he ran a very loose ship up there (much like Slick Rick did). There's a reason he retired.

The only way I can see us getting Miles is if LSU fires him and pays him what that article says is a $15 million buyout, yikes, and Michigan goes for Harbaugh instead of Miles. We then have to ante up big time and I'm just not that sure Miles is worth that much.

I have to say, Malzahn is looking pretty damn tempting right now, lack of experience or not. Apparently he had been recruiting the RB Dyer since he was in 9th grade, got to love that kind of hard work. At the very least, we'd have an offense capable of putting up points.

Bottom line, I'm driving the Eric Bieniemy bandwagon at this point. I want him to be the next coach at CU.

I don't think we could get Gus from Auburn, Mac is way too old and past his prime, Leach wouldn't be considered with his baggage from last year with Craig James son, and Troy Calhoun runs the wishbone. Was never impressed with Bellotti at Oregon and I seem to recall he ran a very loose ship up there (much like Slick Rick did). There's a reason he retired.

I'll ask the same question I always ask when this comes up: What are you talking about? I think he ran a pretty tight ship, recruited well and coached successful teams. Do you have any evidence that suggests othewise?

Don't see how we could lure Les away from LSU-- or pay him enough even if he got fired, which he probably won't. But he would be in my top five for sure. Mac, Miles, Malzan, EB and the Bama OC would round out my top five I think.

I think you can cross Bellotti off the list based on his comments last night. The other two color guys in the booth were talking about were CU was under Mac and where they are now and can CU bring in the kind of players that they need to get back. First thing he said was that was 20yrs ago and new recruits only remember about 2-3 years back. He then went on about the importance of facilities--- I think he's too spoiled from his days at Oregon and wouldn't be interested since we only have a practice bubble and not a 50 million dollar indoor facility like Okie State or Nebraska.

I think you can cross Bellotti off the list based on his comments last night. The other two color guys in the booth were talking about were CU was under Mac and where they are now and can CU bring in the kind of players that they need to get back. First thing he said was that was 20yrs ago and new recruits only remember about 2-3 years back. He then went on about the importance of facilities--- I think he's too spoiled from his days at Oregon and wouldn't be interested since we only have a practice bubble and not a 50 million dollar indoor facility like Okie State or Nebraska.
Does anyone remember back to the Hawkins hire? When Bohn made his "home run" comment? I thought I remember hearing rumors that the "home run" wasn't Hawkins but was Bellotti and we were close to pulling him away from Nike U. Anyway, with that in mind I thought we might have an outside shot at Bellotti coming here this time. But after hearing him talk last night made me think no way would he come here now.

Don't see how we could lure Les away from LSU-- or pay him enough even if he got fired, which he probably won't. But he would be in my top five for sure. Mac, Miles, Malzan, EB and the Bama OC would round out my top five I think.

The corndogs really don't like CLM-the madhatter.

The only way I can see us getting Miles is if LSU fires him and pays him what that article says is a $15 million buyout, yikes, and Michigan goes for Harbaugh instead of Miles. We then have to ante up big time and I'm just not that sure Miles is worth that much.

I have to say, Malzahn is looking pretty damn tempting right now, lack of experience or not. Apparently he had been recruiting the RB Dyer since he was in 9th grade, got to love that kind of hard work. At the very least, we'd have an offense capable of putting up points.

You guys know Malzahn was a high school coach until a couple of years ago? He just a job at Arky to guarentee that his players signed with them including Mitch Mustain. Anybody can do a good job coaching with a Cam Newton at QB.

I guess Belotti's comments are up for interpretation. I heard something totally different. He highlighted Hawks 2-23 road record, said that the campus stadium is one of the nicest places in the country. He did say that he heard the facilities were maybe behind, but then qualified it in "today's arm's race". If anything, Belotti was kind to CU saying they gave Hawkins a fair shot, but for whatever reason it didnt work out. He was generally nice to Hawkins too, but that's the coaches code of honor, especially if he wants to rejoin their ranks.

I liked Belotti. He came across as soft-spoken, level-headed guy.

You guys know Malzahn was a high school coach until a couple of years ago? He just a job at Arky to guarentee that his players signed with them including Mitch Mustain. Anybody can do a good job coaching with a Cam Newton at QB.

:lol:

Back